• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"BuNgIe iS a ShElL oF iTs FoRmEr SeLf!"

When Marathon and Concord inevitably flop you'll be remembered as the biggest clown on this forum
You seriously think Marathon is going to flop? Sony paid a billion to own it. Another billion to keep the best talent long term.

Concord has a 50/50 chance.

I don’t care about Destiny.

They don't but this guy can't accept that people think it looks shit.
Because it doesn't. The cinematics and in game characters models look very good. The player animations look like you would expect a AAA fps shooter in 2024, compared to something like Marvel Rivals, which looks like a mobile game in comparison.

Dr. Claus

Banned
Calm down lol, why are people seething so hard over these great reviews? BTW I don't play Destiny 2.

I am perfectly calm. Just reversing the argument he was using with the “think like a CEO, not a GaMeR” nonsense.

I am against the “great reviews” because “critics”, aka “gaming journalists” are about as trustworthy as a crack addict who just wants to bum at your place. They lie through their teeth and do it gleefully. Nothing has changed for the better in the Final Shape. It is the same tired nonsense we have had to deal with for years. The writing is still mediocre, trying to “finish” a narrative that never truly had time to grow and expand since the first title. Its mission designs continue to be basic, rudimentary nonsense with a focus on the same tired grind that hasn’t evolved in ten years. The raids continue to be massive disappointments with mechanics barely evolved past what Blizzard did with WoW nearly 20 years prior. Oh, but now you get light and darkness powers via the prismatic subclass! Such a total game changer (not)!

Bungie finally had something going with Destiny 2’s launch and with Forsaken‘s expansion. But then they fucked it up. They blamed it on being part of Activision, but once they separated and became independent, they doubled down on the MTX and removal of content that was purchased. But now since they got purchased by Sony, we have all the Sony warriors coming in and mindlessly defending the even though you can easily find their posts prior disparaging the company and the Game not even just a few years earlier. The hypocrisy is real and would be funny if it wasn’t so sad.

Raven117

This is their first release under Playstation umbrella.

High metascores are a given.

Am sure nothing has changed, game would be about as good as their previous efforts.
I don’t know what is really happening in this thread.

I can say that I’m throughly enjoying The Final Shape. More so than any expansion since probably Forsaken. (Witch queen was great… lightfall was absolutely terrible).

But, minute to minute in console, the game is still a blast to play.

Now, it has a solid narrative to end on (a true first for the game).

Guess I just stopped in to say how much I like it.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I am perfectly calm. Just reversing the argument he was using with the “think like a CEO, not a GaMeR” nonsense.

I am against the “great reviews” because “critics”, aka “gaming journalists” are about as trustworthy as a crack addict who just wants to bum at your place. They lie through their teeth and do it gleefully. Nothing has changed for the better in the Final Shape. It is the same tired nonsense we have had to deal with for years. The writing is still mediocre, trying to “finish” a narrative that never truly had time to grow and expand since the first title. Its mission designs continue to be basic, rudimentary nonsense with a focus on the same tired grind that hasn’t evolved in ten years. The raids continue to be massive disappointments with mechanics barely evolved past what Blizzard did with WoW nearly 20 years prior. Oh, but now you get light and darkness powers via the prismatic subclass! Such a total game changer (not)!

Bungie finally had something going with Destiny 2’s launch and with Forsaken‘s expansion. But then they fucked it up. They blamed it on being part of Activision, but once they separated and became independent, they doubled down on the MTX and removal of content that was purchased. But now since they got purchased by Sony, we have all the Sony warriors coming in and mindlessly defending the even though you can easily find their posts prior disparaging the company and the Game not even just a few years earlier. The hypocrisy is real and would be funny if it wasn’t so sad.

I Cant Hear You Blah Blah Blah GIF by ALLBLK

clarky

Gold Member

Ive played Destiny since the beta and dropped it just as The Witch Queen came out.

I'd put the current state of the game Up there with Taken king And Forsaken era Destiny. Its excellent, dont think ill stick around for the grind but they did a really good job closing things out.

Satisfied/10

Last edited:

Raven117

Ive played Destiny since the beta and dropped it just as The Witch Queen came out.

I'd put the current state of the game Up there with Taken king And Forsaken era Destiny. Its excellent, dont think ill stick around for the grind but they did a really good job closing things out.

Satisfied/10
Yup. I’m too old and have too much going on for a grind..but will play the echoes (and happy with the story)

Edit: I can’t believe the stuck the landing so hard. But they really did it

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little

Satisfied/10

Honestly, thats all that matters.

If you liked what you played, when you played it. I don't know if any MP game can ever have someone stay for its entire existence as we all will have our time with something and get our fill and move on, but for some to think it must be judged based on a whole lifetime of the servers saying up or something is kinda wild.

I'm at that age where, I enjoy what I play and move on. If I got 70 hours out of it (even less), i'm ok so long as I enjoyed what I got and move on.

So many other shitter games imho and from what I played, Destiny did a great job for what it was seeking to achieve.

Will be there for Destiny 3 day 1.

Hudo

Am I misremembering something or was it only a few short weeks ago the entire internet tried to bury Bungie? They were supposedly a shell of their former selves. Their board was certain to be overtaken by Sony leadership. Sony was supposed to sell Bungie at a massive loss because dErP. Weren't the knitting clubs proof of their fall from grace?

Why are those people suddenly quiet? Why do we hear crickets?

77.jpg

Now is the time for atonement. Out yourselves insane people! Out yourselves immediately!

(Concord)
You look at that Marathon trailer and then read about how it's going to be a fucking pvp extraction shooter and you tell me that Bungie aren't a shell of their former selves. Fucking abuse of the IP for a shitty multiplayer concept that no one wants.

And Destiny. Dude, yeah, they polished that turd well. But it's still not what they initially went on marketing tour with back before Destiny 1 launched. They promised a big-ass world, they promised that "every weapon tells a story, YOUR story", they fucking compared themselves to Star Wars in how big that IP's gonna be. And the game failed in every aspect except for the shooting and art design. But everything else in Destiny 1 was a fucking colossal disappointment considering what had been promised and considering who the developers behind that game were.

Destiny 2, because I am a goddamn retard, I gave it another chance. I really tried and wanted for Destiny 1 and then 2 to be good. Nope. Still the same issues but now all the mystique the story had is gone; exchanged for mediocre space-opera bullshit. But at least now they know that they're essentially making a mediocre, microtransactioned-to-hell, Diablo-like. Oh, sorry, I mean "looter-shooter". But hey, I guess it's at least better than Diablo 3. Wow. Congratulations, Bungie, for being better than that piece shit. Great.

Destiny is a profound disappointment for what it could've been and should've been. And Critics giving this DLC 9s and shit is just them having given up. Yeah, I bet that DLC is good. But that's saying that this particular shit doesn't smell as bad as that piece of diarrhea over there.

Dr. Claus

Banned
You look at that Marathon trailer and then read about how it's going to be a fucking pvp extraction shooter and you tell me that Bungie aren't a shell of their former selves. Fucking abuse of the IP for a shitty multiplayer concept that no one wants.

And Destiny. Dude, yeah, they polished that turd well. But it's still not what they initially went on marketing tour with back before Destiny 1 launched. They promised a big-ass world, they promised that "every weapon tells a story, YOUR story", they fucking compared themselves to Star Wars in how big that IP's gonna be. And the game failed in every aspect except for the shooting and art design. But everything else in Destiny 1 was a fucking colossal disappointment considering what had been promised and considering who the developers behind that game were.

Destiny 2, because I am a goddamn retard, I gave it another chance. I really tried and wanted for Destiny 1 and then 2 to be good. Nope. Still the same issues but now all the mystique the story had is gone; exchanged for mediocre space-opera bullshit. But at least now they know that they're essentially making a mediocre, microtransactioned-to-hell, Diablo-like. Oh, sorry, I mean "looter-shooter". But hey, I guess it's at least better than Diablo 3. Wow. Congratulations, Bungie, for being better than that piece shit. Great.

Destiny is a profound disappointment for what it could've been and should've been. And Critics giving this DLC 9s and shit is just them having given up. Yeah, I bet that DLC is good. But that's saying that this particular shit doesn't smell as bad as that piece of diarrhea over there.
Jeremy Strong Yes GIF by SuccessionHBO

Hrk69

Gold Member
Bro acting like Bungie never made any stinkers

Their shit was TRASH the last couple of years

Am I misremembering something or was it only a few short weeks ago the entire internet tried to bury Bungie? They were supposedly a shell of their former selves. Their board was certain to be overtaken by Sony leadership. Sony was supposed to sell Bungie at a massive loss because dErP. Weren't the knitting clubs proof of their fall from grace?

Why are those people suddenly quiet? Why do we hear crickets?

77.jpg

Now is the time for atonement. Out yourselves insane people! Out yourselves immediately!

(Concord)
1 great DLC? I think you need to get back in your box permanently.

SkylineRKR

This is where I am at. Destiny was set out to become some sort of Mass Effect 1 in FP, with co-op and PvP. Actual real time travel, stories as you go. It was sold as something huge.

Ever since it was dropped its pretty much a given Destiny has a retard nearly non existing story delivery, and no sense of progression or travel whatsoever. Even using your weapon had no sense of progression upon using it, you had to rely on RNG and chest spawns for materials to level them up. Its one of the worst weapon progression systems I have ever seen.

Anything thats remotely improved upon Destiny 1 (which was a complete shell of a game, void of any character and worldbuilding) is being applauded. Remember when there was a tiny interaction between Cayde 6 and Eris in Dark Below? The crowd went wild. It showed a tiny glimpse of personality, after a vanilla Destiny experience being completely void of it. Every piece of dialogue was being singled out and praised, because all these addicts got so far was dinklebot blabbering nonsense for 500 hours.

Then, D2's Red War was lauded for being an actual good campaign with variation... how do i put this.. its honestly one of the biggest piece of shit campaigns I have played on PS4. Its offensively bad compared to anything that isn't Destiny, list some mediocre FPS campaigns, like Resistance 2, Killzone 3, even Halo 4 and 5... they had better campaigns. But yeah, there was a -bit- more of a narrative and vehicle gameplay than Vanilla 1, which was unpredecented for this IP. But Destiny 2 was somehow worse than D1 when it launched, remember the 4v4 team shooting until time over PvP?

This is not a time for opinions. This is a time to ask forgiveness.

Think like a CEO, not a GaMeR.

Where have you been for the last 6 years while Bungie has fucked over it's fanbase time and time again? Like did you just get back into gaming? Even if this expansion really is great, the last one was total garbage.

Ogbert

Gold Member
The reviews for Final Shape are odd.

I suspect it’s being given a ‘thanks for all the memories’ pat on the back, as opposed to an objective review.

Campaign was ok, but the story remains complete drivel. I like some of the new weapons. The pathfinder system is just a re-skin of bounties. Prismatic is ok-ish but hardly a new class.

mitch1971

Gold Member
Just shows you what can be achieved when Sony threatens the big wigs with a take over clause if they don't pull their finger out. Which shows Bungie have been living off a 'that'll do' attitiude for their releases for a long time.

Elios83

You're not discovering much op.
A place like GAF is completely out of touch to judge anything GaaS related.
This is the second big success in 6 months in the genre for Sony.

Neolombax

It's a solid expansion. An excellent epilogue to my years of investment into this franchise. There's a lot of new quality content and the story is solid with a lot of focus on characters. Of course I'm biased, I've spent more time on this game than any other game I've played in my life. And its not supposed to be for everyone, reviews honestly don't matter and at this point, I don't really need anyone else's affirmation.

But it feels so damn good that my belief in Bungie has paid off.

The only reason why people want Bungie to flop is because they want the Sony acquisition to be a flop in the end.
People were wishing for that since day one, specially once MS's acquired publishers and studios flopped with every single release: Red Fall, Starfield, Hellblade II, etc...

Users like this one

When Marathon and Concord inevitably flop you'll be remembered as the biggest clown on this forum

And Bungie's first release under Sony turns out to be a +90 on metacritic...of course people are mad

And what if...Marathon actually IS a hit and Concord as well? Then what? Some of your heads will explode...

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Bungie knew they had to deliver a crowd pleaser for this update since the playerbase was so salty.

I think some basic problems with the company still exists. They don't have the same love of the craft or leadership as they did when they started, so long ago now. For example, in this update, people complain that solo gamers feel even more pushed out of enjoying a large chunk of the content when the single player experience in their earlier titles was premier. Their approach to live service of not "overdelivering" may or may not have been challenged, since they could just have recalibrated on what level of delivering is over or under delivering. They may have cashed in a few one time nostalgia cheques to hit people in the feels.

Certainly, Bungie are still a company able to technically and artistically deliver high level content. The question is how much they are really in love with doing something great or pushing boundaries, or how much is just about money.

Dutchy

they had 1 hit after 3 years of sunsetting content on top of content drought and a horribly linear gameplay loop

LoOk GuYs ThEy ArE NoT ThaT BaD

and this is coming from someone who's been playing every other day since d1 beta (tfs is fucking amazing so far)

Killjoy-NL

That would genuinely be the only way to attract the actual fans of Marathon to at least try the game.
"Actual fans"
Who are they even?

Never even heard of the Marathon franchise before Sony announced the upcoming one, and I'm sure that goes for 99.9% of gamers out there.

In fact, it's some mid-90s retro franchise that sold less than 200K lifetime sales.

The OG fans are an insignificant portion of the market. Insignificant even within the target audience.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Did OP have a stroke while writting the thread's title? :goog_relieved:

Spyxos

Gold Member
You see it too positively too quickly. It's one good addon out of how many lately? And wasn't the last addon a complete disaster? The only content I liked in Destiny was Forsaken and that was a while ago.

Darchaos

I mean its a 10 hour long campaign that they delayed to make it as perfect as they could, considering it is the end of the storyarc that started with D1. And the campaign is really good and tighs it all together in a good way. But after the campaign is over, its just the ordinary meaningless destiny grind as usuall with the same format as d2 has had the last years. So yeah, the campaign was good and that is what the reviewers scored. Bet most of the returning players is gone again very soon.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
OK iv not been following Destiny since they deleted the content I paid for, but did all the main characters come out as Gay or Trans in this expansion?

Just seems a very high score for anything Destiny Related.

Lunarorbit

Fuck bungies leadership. Just cause you put out a dlc for a 7 year old game it doesn't mean shit.

This is nothing and doesn't change anything

mdkirby

There was a time I played this game religiously. I'm way too far behind now, but im glad to see the update being recievdd well
This I think is the biggest problem facing bungie and specifically destiny. Like you used to play destiny2 religiously, yet even you feel like you can’t return to it. I have never played it (played destiny 1 tho), and every time I think about it, it just seems a confusing daunting mess as to even where to start, whilst also having the knowledge that they cut out and archived chunks of the story etc, so I never start. Major chunks of content (raids) are also locked behind team play, something I never managed to successfully arrange (as an older gamer for destiny 1, and a big reason I didn’t pick up destiny 2)…then ofcourse there’s all the fomo ‘events’ which will just be gone forever.

Effectively regardless of how good an update may be, their existing player base will keep dropping off, whilst the game is actively hostile in regards attracting entirely new players. This problem will also remain if they ever release a destiny 3.

The only reason why people want Bungie to flop is because they want the Sony acquisition to be a flop in the end.
People were wishing for that since day one, specially once MS's acquired publishers and studios flopped with every single release: Red Fall, Starfield, Hellblade II, etc...

Users like this one

And Bungie's first release under Sony turns out to be a +90 on metacritic...of course people are mad

And what if...Marathon actually IS a hit and Concord as well? Then what? Some of your heads will explode...

This 100% Had Sony not bought Bungie, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. Most of the hate against Bungie is console war nonsense.

That typing style is beyond cringe. And yes, they are a shadow of their former selves. Every studio today that existed 20+ years ago is. You can't list a single one that is untainted by the evil of modern times.

PanzerCute

I dont really have an issue with Bungie's quality, but their commercial practices are some of the worst of the industry

Wanna start Destiny 2 with all the expansions and access to everything? Its 400 bucks. Not even kidding, and that does not include any cosmetics, whose prices are insanely high. And not even mentioning all the scum moves they had recently.

So yeah, they can fuck themselves, I'll never buy one of their game again.

Guilty_AI

Never even heard of the Marathon franchise before Sony announced the upcoming one, and I'm sure that goes for 99.9% of gamers out there.
"I never heard of the game that literally created fps mouse aim and worked as a Halo prototype, so everyone must be the same!"

Top Bottom