• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan to direct WWII film "Dunkirk", shot in IMAX 65mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurongel

There were volunteer US fighter pilots assisting the RAF in 1940. That seems like it could possibly be a good role for Leo to fill.
An American man leading a story largely centered around Europe seems like a very Hollywoody concession to me. Let's hope this isn't the case here.

An American man leading a story largely centered around Europe seems like a very Hollywoody concession to me. Let's hope this isn't the case here.

I hope that isn't the case as well. That would be the only overt American connection I can think of, unless they do some sort of diplomatic thing with where he in charge of the lend-lease programs. Alas, rumors are rumors. I guess we will see we what shakes out.

Nev

Banned
Really? WWII? Day one because Nolan, but what a tremendously boring and overused setting and what a waste for Nolan unless it involves nazi aliens or time travel (for real).

I like that we all take it for granted that Leo couldn't do an accent

wasn't Blood Diamond the last time he tried? I remember him eating a fair amount of shit for that.

Probably unearned, of course, but I don't remember anything about that movie at all except for like, a bar conversation w/ Djimon Hounsou.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
The thing I'm most looking forward to with a new Nolan movie: the new Hans Zimmer score. Also, gimme Tom Cruise in a Nolan movie (not this one). Not that he's one of my favorites or I think he is amazing, but the dude is just so damn watchable. Would love a collaboration.

Gaf loves to shit on zimmer,

But he has been the best thing about nolan movies of late.

Inception, interstellar had fuckin awesome OSTs.
Best is a huge statement, and I definitely don't agree with it. His music is fantastic and his collab with Nolan is truly one that I cherish for every movie they team up in.

EDIT: FUCK!! Leo possibly in here? Fhhhh damn...

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

how else you gonna sell the movie to the American audience? They even changed the enemy ship from American to French in Master and Commander

ced

WWII is seriously the most boring stuff to me personally. I'm pretty disappointed but after Rises and Interstellar I'm kinda losing confidence in Nolan anyways.

Nah it actually was bad.
I've had people from the region tell me that while his accent was definitely flimsy, it was still surprisingly convincing at times. And he was technically doing a Zimbabwean accent. At least he tried, Matt Damon (Invictus) and John Malkovich (Disgrace) borderline Kevin Costnered theirs.

I don't see this as a typical war movie. The point of Dunkirk is not about battles won or tales of derring-do, it's about how a massive, humiliating defeat was turned into a rallying cry for the British. The basic thrust of it was that the would-be liberating British troops were pushed all the way back to the sea by the rampaging Wehrmacht and would have faced certain capture or death had they not been rescued by a flotilla of vessels, many of which were owned by private citizens and in some cases, sailed by them.
The name Dunkirk was become synonymous in Britain with everyone joining in together to help and was used by the government to galvanise the nation for the sacrifices to come. It still resonates here today but it clearly means fuck-all to any other nation so I'm not sure that movie will be very successful, particularly as the real event is not really about fighting, but escaping.

effzee

knowing Nolan's casting preferences, expect Marion Cotillard to be in

While the joke he uses the same people over and over again is played out, she would actually fit perfectly.

Also wasn't Leo supposed to take a break from acting or am I remembering it incorrectly? I swear there was some talk a year or 2 ago how he wanted a break from constantly being in movies.

4Tran

Leo could play a Canadian :p, they got involved in Europe in 1939.

The US only set foot in France (WW2) in 1944
There wouldn't be many Canadians involved at Dunkirk either. Canadian ground troops were in Europe at the time, but they didn't get deployed to the Continent.

Would prefer Kursk. Political climate isn't right for either through.
There are lots of films made about the Eastern Front. However, most of them are in Russian and can be a bit hard to track down. The German-language Stalingrad (1993) is pretty good if you're looking for non-Soviet/Russian films. Unfortunately, they're all historically suspect because they tend to predate the opening of the Soviet historical archives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom