• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization: Beyond Earth |OT| - The Future of Mankind

Zeliard

Had to jump on the GMG deal despite having barely put any time into Civ V. I could feel Frag giving me the evil eye.

The setting should be refreshing, at least. Had some fun times with Alpha Centauri when I was younger.

Jinroh

I can't even play fullscreen, there aren't any resolution options when I check the fullscreen box.

I hate it when I buy a game and have to wait for an eventual patch in order to be able to play in decent conditions.

Dr Dogg

Had to jump on the GMG deal despite having barely put any time into Civ V. I could feel Frag giving me the evil eye.

The setting should be refreshing, at least. Had some fun times with Alpha Centauri when I was younger.

Or maybe it's the guilt from all your Bayo 2 'promoting'?

Actually the change in evrionmental setting and art over Civ V is immediately apparent and really has nailed the space aesethic.

Shane86

1080p Resolution option is missing. Tried Changing it to 1080p using GeForce experience and the game crashes at startup.

injurai

Banned

I've barely played BNW compared to what came before it, but it was a truly great civ. I can't surmise if most of those mechanics have been retooled for the new setting or not. But BE seems drastically more like vanilla CivV in terms of scope.

Even still the refreshing take on core mechanics is more than enough to pull me back in. The web looks extremely interesting, it will be a nice break from the monolithic progression of past games.

Joco

Is Intel Ivybridge Integrated graphics really in the recommended specs? I'd like to play this on a laptop but I'm wondering if that's all it would take for decent settings (like medium or so).

fresquito

It's kinda refreshing playing a Civ game and feeling somehow lost. I've been on a blackout of info here and I'm surprised at every move, yet everything still feels familiar. Just what I expected from this game. Miasma could look more obvious though :-/

Edit: Didn't have any resolution problem. 1080p was there for me on first boot. GTX 770 4GB here, latest drivers.

wrongway

Just hit turn 100 and maybe it's just because I'm a sucker for scifi, but I'm really digging this so far. Love the general look and feel, the tech web's neat, the aliens are more fun and interesting than barbarians... Quite happy with it so far. The only things I can complain about are a couple visibility things. Miasma's a little hard to see on some tiles (I derped right into a miasma tile on my very first turn, lol). I also seem to be missing a handy trade route counter. Oh, and I need to turn off the depth of field effect. :x

But yeah, very cool so far. Yay scifi Civ \o/

epmode

So is it possible to see the reveal trailer in-game? I figured it would be the game's intro but the actual intro is different.

Home

so in fullscreen mode I'm missing resolution options above 1280x1024, which I assume is because my monitor has 144hz options, so until they fix that I've been playing at 1080p and in windowed mode, and it looks good, minus the screen tearing due to windowed mode.

Feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the new technologies in the game but I'm sure ill get used to it.

Skab

It may be strong prejudiced, but I generally see an american complaining about people being of other nationalities and speaking non-english when everyone could just be the same american/western type and speak english. I can't really see how people from earth don't have their roots visible.

Uh, that's not what he was saying/asking at all.

Qassim

Yep - this is disappointing. Is there a borderless window mode at least? If not, I can't play it until this issue is fixed.

Sothpaw

Pre-ordered on Steam. Never played a Civ game (or any 4X) because I'm not into the "real-world" premise. Sci-Fi is right up my alley though so I couldn't resist.

Trickster

Super depressed right now. Just saw the gametrailers review, and it sounds like the 2 most important things to me, diplomacy and AI, are basically exactly as shitty and lacking as they were in Civ 5.

Such a dissapointment for me, as I love the early stages of Civ 5 games before you interact a lot with the ai's. But then as the games go on and ai interaction and diplomacy becomes more and more frequent, I just lose interest because of how bad those aspects were in the game. If Civ BE really haven't improved upon the worst aspects of Civ 5, then I think I'm gonna pass on this game, as much as it pains me to do so :(

Uthred

Enjoying this so far. Found it a lot easier to get into than Civ 5, possibly because of the sci-fi veneer and memories of Alpha Centauri

Hah, so here's an interesting take on it. Saw this pop up in my feed, one guy has some thematic issues with the game: http://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...on-beyond-earth-reviewthe-mistakes-of-ma.html

This article seems to have missed, or simply ignored, the elements in the game which explicitly contradict it, such as one of the victory conditions among others.

Do I have to send a unit to an outpost to do trade routes?

Also, my health really went down the crapper after I exploded with citizens.

I still think this game is missing the Alpha Centauri charm. It also seems slower. I probably just haven't figured out the most optimal strategy yet.

I still think this game is missing the Alpha Centauri charm. It also seems slower. I probably just haven't figured out the most optimal strategy yet.

I just wish there was more varied dialogue between civs. Diplomacy in the Civ V era is really underwhelming in my opinion.

Gaz_RB

Super depressed right now. Just saw the gametrailers review, and it sounds like the 2 most important things to me, diplomacy and AI, are basically exactly as shitty and lacking as they were in Civ 5.

Such a dissapointment for me, as I love the early stages of Civ 5 games before you interact a lot with the ai's. But then as the games go on and ai interaction and diplomacy becomes more and more frequent, I just lose interest because of how bad those aspects were in the game. If Civ BE really haven't improved upon the worst aspects of Civ 5, then I think I'm gonna pass on this game, as much as it pains me to do so :(

Diplomacy is laughable. Crazy how much it was sidelined.

Soi-Fong

Used VPN. I'm not getting the resolution issues you guys are getting. Mind you, this is with me setting up custom resolutions through Nvidia Control Panel. This isn't through DSR. I'll try that out later.

O3gb.jpg

The IGN review has "lacks personality" as one of the two negatives to the game. Oh well, I'll get over it.

What’s strange, and unusual for a Civilization game, is that ending a game is frustratingly abrupt. For the first time I can remember, there is no after-action report recapping your colony’s story whatsoever. You’re just dumped back to the main menu for another go. I once lost a game by one turn, and I wasn’t even told who beat me or how they’d done it until I went back and reloaded from an autosave for a super-slow instant replay. That’s weird and disappointing, because I love recounting my epic journey in other Civ games.
This is a bummer. Any chance Firaxis could patch that in or is it too big of a feature for a patch?

Enthus

I really love this series and want to play this game, but I may wait until the end of this semester to pick it up. I don't need to be playing 300 hours of Civ in the last month and a half of courses.

Top Bottom