• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization: Beyond Earth |OT| - The Future of Mankind

Ferrio

Banned
I've played about 150 turns so far, and I'm kind of disappointed. It's very much just Civ 5 but with an "alien" skin on it. I was definitely hoping of more of an Alpha Centauri feel (especially since they said it was a spiritual successor to AC)..

Alas this is what I feared from videos/reading a wiki entry with all the units etc.

Mindlog

I've played about 150 turns so far, and I'm kind of disappointed. It's very much just Civ 5 but with an "alien" skin on it. I was definitely hoping of more of an Alpha Centauri feel (especially since they said it was a spiritual successor to AC).
Me too. I hope it still plays well enough. Maybe after a couple of expansions they'll hit the mark.

Nzyme32

where can I get a good free trial for a VPN? I can't wait any longer

FlyVPN is pretty easy.

Yep, I followed this a few hours ago. I used the Asia > Thailand server. Had it all done in about 10mins, and that was on a connection that only peaks at 300kb/s.

Just stay offline till the launch time actually hits. Then you should be good to go back online

Me too. I hope it still plays well enough. Maybe after a couple of expansions they'll hit the mark.

I bought the game with this in mind. I'm definitely expecting it to improve via expansions. Still I'd agree that it isn't anything truly impressive as Civ V was to begin with despite it being flawed from the start. Civ BE is just enough difference to feel a step over a mod, but there is still far more they can do, and I expect them to do. For now, I'm still happy with it but I won't be disappointed unless the expansions don't come / are poor

Yep, I followed this a few hours ago. I used the Asia > Thailand server. Had it all done in about 10mins, and that was on a connection that only peaks at 300kb/s.

Just stay offline till the launch time actually hits. Then you should be good to go back online

why does it matter if i stay offline? is steam really monitoring that stuff?

Well, a corporation doesn't exist in the void, of course their people have nationalities. They were born on earth, even with travelling to space the roots not immediately vanish. Is it so bad for you, that not everyone speaks the same american english?

Was that american english? If so, yes, that's bad for me, and everyone else.

Also, I can't play the damn game on my HTPC! It keeps thinking that my TV is 59HZ. I tried changing the ini file to 60hz, and it just changes it back because I guess it's checking something and decides "nope, you don't support 60hz!" and puts it back.

Chariot

That was me saying to you that what you said makes no sense.
It may be strong prejudiced, but I generally see an american complaining about people being of other nationalities and speaking non-english when everyone could just be the same american/western type and speak english. I can't really see how people from earth don't have their roots visible.

Maybe, but they are all clearly nationalities, not corporations. I would just think that there would be more cooperation if we were to colonize a planet, not everyone lands and then war ensues. Seems kind of stupid.

How much dystopian sci-if have you read?

There was some period of great calamity and after it was over, society seems to have mostly been ruled by a handful of megacorporations.

why does it matter if i stay offline? is steam really monitoring that stuff?

It relocks and you have to repeat the process.

It may be strong prejudiced, but I generally see an american complaining about people being of other nationalities and speaking non-english when everyone could just be the same american/western type and speak english. I can't really see how people from earth don't have their roots visible.

Clearly we have a language barrier in action here. My complaint was that I found it odd that they are settling the planet as different nationalities and not corporations, regardless of what country they are from or what language they speak.

Clearly we have a language barrier in action here. My complaint was that I found it odd that they are settling the planet as different nationalities and not corporations, regardless of what country they are from or what language they speak.

I suspect a big element of colonizing a new world would be importing your own culture. This is what causes the whole affinity split to occur.

I've played about 150 turns so far, and I'm kind of disappointed. It's very much just Civ 5 but with an "alien" skin on it. I was definitely hoping of more of an Alpha Centauri feel (especially since they said it was a spiritual successor to AC).

Miasma is really annoying so far (I'm trying to get the tech to make it beneficial), as are the ass tons of aliens.

Maybe I'm mis-remembering things, but I thought when they announced the game they said that you would only be interacting with alien life forms and no other human civilizations? Thematically speaking it's just stupid that a ton of different nationalities are all landing on the same planet at basically the same time.

So you hated the fungus in AC, right?

You're misremembering things. It was never stated that you wouldn't interact with other human factions.

Stuart444

seems we got UTC and BST confused.

It's unlocked in 36 mins.

Too many people do -_- (pet peeve of mines is when people use PST/EST/GMT during Summer Time)

Thankfully we're back to GMT on Sat Night/Sun Morn so these problems won't happen until next Summer.

seems we got UTC and BST confused.

It's unlocked in 36 mins.

By "We" who are you referring to? Because unless you're either from Valve or Firaxis, all of the information given refers to 11 UTC, which is midnight BST. If you are from Valve or Firaxis then all I can say is step your game up, yo. >:[
/s

Firebrand

Houston, we have a problem. My video settings won't stick. :( "Restart for changes to take effect," but then everything is back on low. And I have the latest "Game Ready" nvidia drivers.

How are people finding the mantle version versus the regular version of CivBE? (Edit: lol, answered right below me... good work.)
Houston, we have a problem. My video settings won't stick. :( "Restart for changes to take effect," but then everything is back on low. And I have the latest "Game Ready" nvidia drivers.

Problems like that are from the game, not the drivers. Presumably it's a bug that will be fixed soon.

Kvik

Performance seems ok on 4K:

68436.png

Top Bottom