• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization: Beyond Earth |OT| - The Future of Mankind

Danj

My game shipped from Amazon today (I ordered a physical version as I had an Amazon promo voucher, which can't be used on downloads). It should be with me tomorrow :) I'm having it shipped to work, so I can just TeamViewer to my home PC, put the code into Steam and it'll be installed by the time I get home.

Strider

Ah. Yeah playing on a Sony W55-955 at 60hz. Everything is the same as Civ 5 resolutions wise. Maybe create a custom res at 60hz as a workaround until they hotfix?

Tried but no dice. Oh well was worth a shot. Fortunately it should be a quick fix.

Realyn

People can try to put

Refresh Rate = 60

WindowResX = 1920

WindowResY = 1080

FullScreen = 1

; Refresh Rate
RefreshRate = 60

into their GraphicsSettings.ini but no luck for me with it.

Right off the bat, my only resolution options aren't even in 16:9.

I didn't ever think we'd need Durante for a Firaxis game.

Edit: I see this is an issue for everyone.

Sevenfold

Also getting cool 4k fps and 99% load in the menu ... really devs? :[

Try changing a setting. Every time I start the game it feels like 30fps but if I change an AA setting (up or down so I just flick between 4x and 8x I can't tell diff) accept et voila it's silky smooth.

Tried it with tunnelbear and steam was running so slooooow, so I gave up.

TunnelBear's fine. It's unlocked, but there's a patch around 108.8MB that immediately installs.

Takes a while to write to disk, at least on a 7200RPM hard drive.

I'm just waiting for the patch to finish. I knew it worked when the weekend deals popped up in yen.

Realyn

Try changing a setting. Every time I start the game it feels like 30fps but if I change an AA setting (up or down so I just flick between 4x and 8x I can't tell diff) accept et voila it's silky smooth.

Hum? That's not really what I'm complaining about. Without vsync the game renders thousand of frames per second in the main menu for me. Resulting in close to 100% load. That stuff can kill cards very fast and actually did when Blizzard made the same mistake with SC2. Having another dev making the same "mistake" in 2014 is both hilarious and sad.

Sevenfold

Hum? That's not really what I'm complaining about. Without vsync the game renders thousand of frames per second in the main menu for me. Resulting in close to 100% load. That stuff can kill cards very fast and actually did when Blizzard made the same mistake with SC2. Having another dev making the same "mistake" in 2014 is both hilarious and sad.

My bad. Fwiw I'm not having the same issue. Nvidia or AMD?

Strider

I wish the miasma was easier to spot. Put my explorer unit into it multiple times already on accident lol

So as far as my resolution problem goes... I unchecked fullscreen option then rebooted the game. Upon reboot I had a 1920 x 1080 option but only if I wasn't in fullscreen mode. It's not great as I hate the border but it'll do for now.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Unlocked, watched the intro (god, what a great intro), tried the 1080p 59fps with ultra settings and 2xMSAA and it was working perfectly as advised (I have a 780). I don't have time to play with the options more or even play the game, but later tonight I will try the DSR resolutions.

Haven't had any tech problems so far, haven't tried the DSR resolutions yet though.

First impressions-early turns seem more dense than Civ 5. One thing that really pops out at you quick is how strong early tile yields are now-with orbitals and the large numbers of specials, it's clear to me that population and working developed tiles is going to be paramount, so keep those workers going!

It's also seemingly viable to have an energy-based economy for workers and some settlers if you go the Industry route. Standardized Architecture + rush bought settlers is damn nice.

pahamrick

Playing on a Samsung 1080p tv. Was having the weirdest issue where soon as I started the game I'd get an error on the TV saying Mode Not Supported, change resolution of external device.

If I disable full screen in the INI, start the game then enable fullscreen I can change it to 1920x1080 just fine but I have to do that every time I want to start the game.

TunnelBear's fine. It's unlocked, but there's a patch around 108.8MB that immediately installs.

Takes a while to write to disk, at least on a 7200RPM hard drive.

I'm just waiting for the patch to finish. I knew it worked when the weekend deals popped up in yen.

I reconnected, and everything went a lot faster than before, downloaded the patch in less than a minute. However, I started playing and time did go by quickly.

The game is fun but a lot to take in at the beginning. I'm still new to the whole Civ stuff so I gotta look stuff up.

Saganator

Wish I knew what I was doing wrong with VPN, I've done it before but this time it won't work. I logged out of Steam, connected to a Japan server with FlyVPN, connected to Steam, tried to load BE (which for some reason the Play button says "Pre-Load" even though its been pre-loaded) but Steam says the content is still encrypted. Tried an AUS server which didn't work either. Think I'm boned, FlyVPN won't me log in anymore for the day.

Wish I knew what I was doing wrong with VPN, I've done it before but this time it won't work. I logged out of Steam, connected to a Japan server with FlyVPN, connected to Steam, tried to load BE (which for some reason the Play button says "Pre-Load" even though its been pre-loaded) but Steam says the content is still encrypted. Tried an AUS server which didn't work either. Think I'm boned, FlyVPN won't me log in anymore for the day.

Have you tried TunnelBear?

Ogimachi

Just a couple of hours in, but I'm already loving the game. Glad to see they didn't go the "accessible" way with it, especially with the tech web.

Can't wait for the mod tools so I can create a Stargate: Atlantis one.

Japan didn't work for me either. Try Indonesia.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Struggling with this as well, tried Japan and Austrailia (sup JaseC) and it just tells me content is still encrypted. Is there a specific mode traffic should be set to? Mine's set to automatic.

EDIT: Tunnelbear also does not work for me. I am connected to the proxy and everything, my IP shows up as foreign but once I start steam up the program insists on keeping the content locked. :(

Skux

Should I use AMD Mantle? I have a new CPU (i5-4690k) but older graphics card which I am planning to eventually upgrade (Radeon 7770). From what I've read it mainy benefits lower end CPUs by offloading instructions to the GPU.

Rubixcuba

Banned
Just played the first 85 turns.

Soooo different but familiar to Civ V. Feel that the UI is worse, gives off a rushed and cheap impression. Yet everything else is pure Civ goodness. The Tech Web is immense, really throws you in the deep end, will take a few games to sort out which 'direction' to go in.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Ah ha, solved my problem! Steam had been activated on my phone thanks to some wishlist notification. Once I turned that off and logged back into Steam on my desktop, the game unlocked!

Saganator

Have you tried TunnelBear?

No go on TunnelBear. I think it has something to do with my "Play" button actually being a "Pre-Load Game" button, even though its pre-loaded (and I've tried deleting and redownloading). No option to verify game cache, either.

Ah ha, solved my problem! Steam had been activated on my phone thanks to some wishlist notification. Once I turned that off and logged back into Steam on my desktop, the game unlocked!

Oh shit, need to try this once I'm done downloading this damn game for the 3rd time. I bet that's my problem, too.

edit:

My phone being logged in was the problem. Thanks Cheesecake!

Am I missing it or is there no tutorial option?

There's an in-game tutorial that allows you to start however you want, helmed by the appropriately-named ADVISR. In-game tutorials should be present for pretty much everything, plus a series-standard Civilopedia will allow you to look up info whenever you need to.

I recall Civ5 handling stuff in a similar fashion.

Chariot

Am I missing it or is there no tutorial option?
CivilizationBeyondEarthADVISR.jpg
ANd it's in the options too.

I've played about 150 turns so far, and I'm kind of disappointed. It's very much just Civ 5 but with an "alien" skin on it. I was definitely hoping of more of an Alpha Centauri feel (especially since they said it was a spiritual successor to AC).

Miasma is really annoying so far (I'm trying to get the tech to make it beneficial), as are the ass tons of aliens.

Maybe I'm mis-remembering things, but I thought when they announced the game they said that you would only be interacting with alien life forms and no other human civilizations? Thematically speaking it's just stupid that a ton of different nationalities are all landing on the same planet at basically the same time.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I've played about 150 turns so far, and I'm kind of disappointed. It's very much just Civ 5 but with an "alien" skin on it. I was definitely hoping of more of an Alpha Centauri feel (especially since they said it was a spiritual successor to AC).

Miasma is really annoying so far (I'm trying to get the tech to make it beneficial), as are the ass tons of aliens.

Maybe I'm mis-remembering things, but I thought when they announced the game they said that you would only be interacting with alien life forms and no other human civilizations? Thematically speaking it's just stupid that a ton of different nationalities are all landing on the same planet at basically the same time.

I thought it was something like TONS of colonies are being sent out by different companies and you are goin to a planet that other companies are also trying to colonize for earth. I could be wrong.

Dr Dogg

There's an in-game tutorial that allows you to start however you want, helmed by the appropriately-named ADVISR. In-game tutorials should be present for pretty much everything, plus a series-standard Civilopedia will allow you to look up info whenever you need to.

I recall Civ5 handling stuff in a similar fashion.

Civ V did the learn as you play route and also had specific tutorials for basic actions. What is done here is actaully quite nice as you just dive in and ADVISR pops up and you can customise the level of advice to your experience and what you want tips about. Still I did like the tutorial in IV walked through by Sid himself.

I thought it was something like TONS of colonies are being sent out by different companies and you are goin to a planet that other companies are also trying to colonize for earth. I could be wrong.

Maybe, but they are all clearly nationalities, not corporations. I would just think that there would be more cooperation if we were to colonize a planet, not everyone lands and then war ensues. Seems kind of stupid.

Chariot

Maybe, but they are all clearly nationalities, not corporations. I would just think that there would be more cooperation if we were to colonize a planet, not everyone lands and then war ensues. Seems kind of stupid.
Well, a corporation doesn't exist in the void, of course their people have nationalities. They were born on earth, even with travelling to space the roots not immediately vanish. Is it so bad for you, that not everyone speaks the same american english?

Top Bottom