• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V |OT| of Losing My Religion, And I Feel Fine...

Dennis

Banned
I never liked the religion in Civ 4 so good riddance to that. I am OK with the other changes and City States seems like an interesting concept.

But the big things are the hex-and-no-stacks combat plus the updated graphics!

I hope we will get a Fall from Heaven III mod.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Fistwell said:
Funny how quickly gametrailers' reviews turn to shit when it's carrot top doing the voice work.
Added to OP:
Gametrailers video review - 9.4/10
As we've recently been reminded of, there's no such thing as moderation when it comes to Civ. Civilization V is a brilliant expression of the turn-based strategy game by the undisputed masters of the form. It's a great entry point for newcomers, and veterans will delight in all the wrinkles and refinements. The exchange rate between real life hours and in-game turns is not in your favor, but be prepared to surrender regardless.

DEO3

Dina said:
Funny how a change to hexagons make it look, feel and possibly play like a board game so much more.

Everything just feels way more tactile, like you really are moving pieces around a board instead of icons on a screen.

Sober

Really nitpicky, but why is the Rome achievement "Veni Vidi Vici" but the Roman leader is Augustus? (even if he was technically named Caesar, the quote is from his adoptive father) :lol

Sober said:
Really nitpicky, but why is the Rome achievement "Veni Vidi Vici" but the Roman leader is Augustus? (even if he was technically named Caesar, the quote is from his adoptive father) :lol
nerd.jpg

:D

J/K I agree myself, it is a bit odd.

Gozan

Sober said:

On a similar note, has anybody else noted the ironic nature of Civ Wonders?
For example:

Three Gorges Dam: Gives all cities hydro power.
In reality: The vast majority of China's electricity comes from coal plants.

Versailles and Forbidden Palace: Functions as a second capital.
In reality: Both are placed in the actual capital.

Hermitage: Doubles culture output.
In reality: The Russians had to declare war on Finland to move the border away from St. Petersburg.

Moai Statues: Gives shields from all water tiles.
In reality: Their construction probably depleted the forests of Easter Island, so nothing else could be built.

United Nations: The civ that build this will always be a candidate for Secretary-General.
In reality: The US has never had the Secretary-General of the UN.

Notre Dame: Increases happiness in all cities.
In reality: The French.

Gozan said:
On a similar note, has anybody else noted the ironic nature of Civ Wonders?
For example:

Three Gorges Dam: Gives all cities hydro power.
In reality: The vast majority of China's electricity comes from coal plants.

Versailles and Forbidden Palace: Functions as a second capital.
In reality: Both are placed in the actual capital.

Hermitage: Doubles culture output.
In reality: The Russians had to declare war on Finland to move the border away from St. Petersburg.

Moai Statues: Gives shields from all water tiles.
In reality: Their construction probably depleted the forests of Easter Island, so nothing else could be built.

United Nations: The civ that build this will always be a candidate for Secretary-General.
In reality: The US has never had the Secretary-General of the UN.

Notre Dame: Increases happiness in all cities.
In reality: The French.

Damn! :lol Civ Wonders have always had some odd correlations from effects and realities. Civ 2 has some really goofy ones IIRC.

raphier

Banned
Sblargh said:
I liked the bit where he used the sea to go for the undefended back of the city. Game is obviously scripted so he could show off stuff, but I can see stuff like that happening on real games.
Every city is now defended without units stacking in...thats why it's "empty"

XiaNaphryz

raphier said:
Every city is now defended without units stacking in...thats why it's "empty"
Yep, garrisoned units just add to the city's defense strength. You could also stack a non-garrisoned unit as well, though it won't be involved in defending attacks (you'd use it as an offensive option).

Forkball

XiaNaphryz said:
Later nukes can destroy cities and kill everything in a 2 hex radius from the detonation hex.
Good. I hated how nerfed nukes were. Hopefully players and AI take more consideration when using them considering their power.

XiaNaphryz

FleckSplat said:
To the OP:

FYI, the "Gamespot" video from the OP is just an official Firaxis press video. You can also find it at Giant Bomb, for example.
The bottom-most video link is actually the same Giantbomb link. ;P

Removed the Gamespot vid.

ArjanN

Sober said:

Pfft.

Next thing you'll be telling me archers on horseback never fought against B-2 stealth bombers.

Forever

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:
Later nukes can destroy cities and kill everything in a 2 hex radius from the detonation hex.
That is certainly good to hear. It was really irritating how I could dump three nukes in a row on an enemy city and not manage to erase it from the map in Civ4.

eznark

Banned
xbhaskarx said:
I have played every Civ game since the first one and I've never been as excited as I am for this one.

for once we are on the same page

Preordered from Best Buy today.

XiaNaphryz

All the 2D placeholder art that were up for some of the leader portraits have been replaced with their 3D renders now that all of them have been posted on the main Civ site.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Gandhi's render does the artwork justice.

Nobunaga seems much less badass though. Seems like a guy you can drink sake with.

Katherine is kind of fat, and dem tittays.

Nice work on the OP :D

I bought the BradyGames guide yesterday because I needed something to read. Just my luck the instruction booklet released the same day...:lol

Also, the guide is terrible in my opinion, but that's because I'm a grammar/spelling/layout
Bismarck

There's also a screen cap of Elizabeth at the end of Montezuma's section. WTF BradyLames...

LowParry

So when we getting a demo again? I really want to try before I buy cause by impressions, life will be consumed and I'm WoWing along with catching up with older games.

XiaNaphryz

Juice said:
Is there even a hint of a rumor that they might look at a Alpha Centauri sequel next?
The only thing we know of is that Facebook Civ game. And I wouldn't expect anything AC related until you hear something about Firaxis working with EA again.

CcrooK said:
So when we getting a demo again? I really want to try before I buy cause by impressions, life will be consumed and I'm WoWing along with catching up with older games.
It's all in the OP, same day as release. It's like the 6th line from the top. :p

gillty

Banned
Juice said:
Is there even a hint of a rumor that they might look at a Alpha Centauri sequel next?
Take-Two / 2k owns Firaxis, EA owns Alpha Centauri and Brian Reynolds works at Zynga, so never.

XiaNaphryz

Valru said:
and Brian Reynolds works at Zynga
I think a good SMAC game without Reynolds is possible. Hell, look at how lead designers have changed for the Civ franchise.

XiaNaphryz

After looking through the manual, the tech tree posted in the OP seems to be correct. Balance patches in the future may alter things, of course.

XiaNaphryz

10 cool things in Civilization V that weren't in Civilization IV. What caught my eye that I didn't know:

7) Shopping sprees
When you used gold to buy something in Civilization IV, it went through the production queue. In Civilization V, buying things is completely independent of the production queue. If you've got the cash to burn, you can basically buy every single building in a city on the same turn. Note that you can't buy multiple military units in one turn. The first unit will fill up the city's garrison slot, so you can't purchase additional units until that first one gets out of the way. Which it won't be able to do until it gets its movement points next turn.
3) Kinder, gentler pillaging
Pillaging does not destroy the improvement in a tile! In the past, when barbarians or enemy armies tore up your roads, farms, and plantations, it was a royal pain in the butt rebuilding everything. But in Civlization V, a pillaged tile retains a smoking damaged version of the improvement. It won't have any effect on the tile, but you'll be able to repair it much more easily than you'd have to rebuild it. Perhaps best of all, you don't have to deal with the hassle of trying to remember what you had there in the first place. Royal pain in the butt addressed!
2) Recon mission cleared for take-off
In Civilization IV, you had to manually fly recon missions for your airplanes every turn. What a drag. If there's one thing a king doesn't want to do, it's play air traffic controller every turn. But in Civilization V, you'll never launch another recon missions. Instead, aircraft are assumed to be running recon missions every turn, which is represented by giving them a six hex visibility range.

Top Bottom