• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V |OT| of Losing My Religion, And I Feel Fine...

r1chard

Valru said:
Civilization Unlock Times

No matter where you buy your copy of Civilization V, you won't be able to play until the game unlocks in your region. Here are the unlock times that we know of:

North America:
September 21 @ 10am EDT (New York, Toronto, Fake Virginia, Miami)
September 21 @ 9am CDT (Chicago)
September 21 @ 8am MDT (Denver)
September 21 @ 7am PDT (California, Washington)
September 21 @ 11am ADT (Nova Scotia) [fixed: Thanks Canucker]

Worldwide: September 24 @ 00:00 UTC
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil : September 23 @ 21:00
Buenos Aires, Argentina : September 23 @ 21:00
Reykjavik, Iceland : 00:00
London, UK : 00:00
Berlin, Germany : 02:00
Johannesburg, South Africa : 02:00
Jerusalem, Israel : 02:00
Warsaw, Poland : 02:00
Rome, Italy : 02:00
Helsinki, Finland : 03:00
Moscow, Russian Federation : 03:00
Cairo, Egypt : 03:00
Tehran, Iran : 03:30
Mumbai, India : 05:30
Beijing, China : 08:00
Perth, Australia : 08:00
Tokyo, Japan : 09:00
Sydney, Australia : 10:00
For those who ordered through a digital distributor, this is the time when you will be able to activate the game on Steam. The same restriction applied to retail copies, no matter when they are bought or delivered. For more specific descriptions, see the vendor specific sections below.

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86542

quoted for new page :)

Zerokku said:
I can afford this, but it's this, or preordering a 3DS day one (assuming the date we get in a week and a half is this year). On one hand Civ 5. On the other hand, it being a console launch the 3DS preorders will be limited and I'm not sure they'll last more than a day.

FFFFFFFFF
Easy choice. A game you'll be playing non-stop for many many moons or a console at launch for four times the cost without possibly a game worth playing on it (at +.5x the cost) at launch.

Sblargh

Banned
I actually think US-GAF should not play the game until the 24th in solidarity with their fellow Gaffers around the world. u_u

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
You know, I was going to not buy this right away because I barely have time to play SC2 right now, but after watching the videos and reading the reviews, fuck it, I'm buying it over lunch on Tuesday. And then calling off work on Wednesday. Because I know I'll be suffering from "just one more turn" syndrome late, late into the night on Tuesday.

Fuck, I'm so weak. But this game looks so good. And I've always been a Civ junkie.

Hex maps. No more unit stacks. Strategic combat. City states.

FUCK.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Sblargh said:
I actually think US-GAF should not play the game until the 24th in solidarity with their fellow Gaffers around the world. u_u

Solidarity is over rated.

DECLARE WAR
YES NO

fallout

Sblargh said:
Yes, because if there's one word that I think of when I think about Civ, it's "solidarity".

Sblargh

Banned
It's funny to be so hyped for this game, it's not like "I want to play now because all the cool kids will be playing too", it's like "I want to play now, even though I know I will play it for the next 5 years, because I really want this 5-year cycle to begin".
-
And this talk of Montezuma, pff. He is on the other side of the map and on another war, there is just no way he has enough troops to--aw shit.

Lach

I hate that steam doesn't release the games worldwide at the same time (I know it's probably the publishers fault).

I wan't to play tomorrow...

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
How can anybody think that a game where you can unleash nuclear fury is 'boring'? smh

Tain said:
10 AM tomorrow means this game is watching out for me and doesn't want me to stay up late.

:[

I'm going to bed early tonight so I can finish all my errands before 10. :)

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I know there are regional unlocks for the game but what determines the region? If I bought it from Steam (in my native UK) it would be the 24th, but what if I bought it from the US wing of D2D?

pix

vcassano1 said:
I know there are regional unlocks for the game but what determines the region? If I bought it from Steam (in my native UK) it would be the 24th, but what if I bought it from the US wing of D2D?

I think its based on where you connect to steam from. But I could be wrong.

JoeMartin

Archie said:
How can anybody think that a game where you can unleash nuclear fury is 'boring'? smh

I spose that's the only thing I'll miss - stockpiling dozens of ICBMs during peacetime lategame to initiate helldeath on the first poor bastard to decide he wants a piece of your uranium pie.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
pix said:
I think its based on where you connect to steam from. But I could be wrong.
I believe that is true, so if you use the right proxy server you might be able to unlock early.

JoeMartin said:
I spose that's the only thing I'll miss - stockpiling dozens of ICBMs during peacetime lategame to initiate helldeath on the first poor bastard to decide he wants a piece of your uranium pie.
You'll have to just stockpile them on nuclear subs and missile frigates instead and park them near your enemies. Stupid 8 hex limit for nuclear missiles.

I'm sure one of the first mods to be released will be for putting ICBMs back.

Minsc

Gold Member
vcassano1 said:

Speaking of buying it from D2D, does anyone know if they give you the entire 10GB (or whatever) .exe to download, or do you just eventually get a serial key?

gillty

Banned
Minsc said:
Speaking of buying it from D2D, does anyone know if they give you the entire 10GB (or whatever) .exe to download, or do you just eventually get a serial key?
When you click the download button on D2D it dispenses a key.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Valru said:
When you click the download button on D2D it dispenses a key.

Best part of that is that they don't capitalize "steam" in their instructions. Nor do they provide you with any instructions on how to redeem the code. It's like they know they should sell the games but they want to make it as difficult as possible for you to migrate to Steam. :lol

XiaNaphryz

CVG - 9.3/10
While context is important in a long-running series like Civ, it is a disservice too often committed to judge the game by what has come before or what it could have been. What you have here is the cleanest, best looking, smoothest playing, most tactically enjoyable version of the deepest and most addictive strategy game of all time.
Metacritic currently sitting at 96.

pix

Just google proxy ip address in google. You'll download a program to mask your IP with one from another country.

*WARNING* After you unlock the game early, be careful of playing on your normal IP after, as you will be playing the game early in a region that doesn't get the game for a few more days. Steam can tell, I'm sure. Safest to play using the proxy.

XiaNaphryz

sdornan said:
Thread title got "Losing My Religion" stuck in my head.
As long as you're constantly shifting between that and "It's the End of the World as We Know It" my job is done.

Top Bottom