• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V |OT| of Losing My Religion, And I Feel Fine...

Im hoping my American cousins will be posting shit tons of info starting tomorrow, got to wait till the 24th before mine becomes playable...

Tabris

Why is Mao Zedong no longer available? Also why is Stalin no longer available? I'm not a big fan of them picking politically correct leaders. Make the most famous leaders or the leader that most exemplifies their civilization. Wu Zetian hardly does that. Create a leader from the Ming Dynasty instead if you don't want to do Mao Zedong.

Sblargh

Banned
So, I already preloaded the game, it will release in OMFG 3 days and 5 hours.
Will I have to download the demo separately?

Tabris said:
Why is Mao Zedong no longer available? Also why is Stalin no longer available? I'm not a big fan of them picking politically correct leaders. Make the most famous leaders or the leader that most exemplifies their civilization. Wu Zetian hardly does that. Create a leader from the Ming Dynasty instead if you don't want to do Mao Zedong.

I'm sure that this has something to do with giving people reasons to purchase DLC packs/expansions.

I'm fine with the leaders at this point. Good to see some new blood.

Dazzla

Dug out the old Logitech MX Revolution mouse for this, hope my Macbook Pro and it's 8600 GT can handle it!

Seems the price increased at Game as well, luckily they honour the pre order price.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Tabris said:
Stalin hasn't been in a Civ game since the original. How long has it been since you've played a Civ game?

pix said:
Yes it will be a seperate download.
I'm assuming you're replying about the demo and not Mao/Stalin. ;)

(._.)

Banned
I've played like Civ IV only like four times after buying the complete collection but something about this one looks sooo good. I really want to get it but I don't know if I should spend my fun money on it GAF, tempt me :]

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
XiaNaphryz said:
Stalin hasn't been in a Civ game since the original. How long has it been since you've played a Civ game?

Civ4ScreenShot0009-45.jpg

XiaNaphryz

PC Gamer's print review is finally on the web. 93/100 if you forgot.
As for where this game fits into the series, Civilization V isn’t necessarily a definitively ‘better’ empire-building game on Civilization IV – as that would be almost impossible. This is more of an equal that exists in parallel, offering a fresh and invigorating style of play with more emphasis on combat.

Civ V isn’t simply a rehash of what came before with better graphics (though it has those, too): it’s a whole new world with a whole new set of rich, intricate rules to master. It’s also impossible for a strategy fan to resist picking up … or to quit.
Screaming_Gremlin said:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/Screaming_Gremlin/Civ4ScreenShot0009-45.jpg/IMG][/QUOTE]
I'm not including expansions here, just base game releases. ;P

But I suppose I was a bit harsh with that comment if he had jumped in when Civ IV w/ BTS is pretty much the only way to get the game. ;)

XiaNaphryz

There's a small tidbit on Civ in today's Penny Arcade news post:

Via some methodology I am not entirely certain of, I received a working code for a review copy of Civilization V. I have played it enough to know that it is a game of clean lines and flawless ratios unbounded by the smooth corners of the world it simulates. It's perfect and deathless and it isn't going anywhere, ready the very moment I summon it to enclose me in its pure structures. It's the maximized centerfold archetype when what I'm after is filthy, anonymous, alleyway rutting. That's King's Bounty.

Rad-

Winning, actually, is where one of Civilization V's weaknesses come to light. While players can win through either diplomacy (via building the United Nations and being elected the leader), conquest (by taking out all other nations), science (by building a space ship and launching it), culture (by completing five of the policy tree branches), or by having the biggest score in the year 2050, in all the games I played it seemed it was overly difficult to get anything but a timed or military victory against the AI when starting from the earliest period. The AI is simply far too aggressive once they're on your borders, and no amount of gifts or other concessions would keep them from deciding to attack me. Attacking would then force me to focus on my military, taking my cities' production away from building the other scientific or cultural items I needed to win. It's more than a little annoying to play for ten or more hours only to realize that the victory you've been working towards is going to be thwarted by a belligerent computer player. I mean, look, I'm all for the blood of nations on my hands, but sometimes I like to be peaceful too, you know?

This part sounds very disappointing.

XiaNaphryz

Rad- said:
I'm guessing he might not have setup his empire to best get the victory condition he wanted, considering the reports that it's totally possible to have a small 3 city empire and still win (there's even a related achievement for it).

Rad- said:
I'd chalk that up to inexperience with how the underlying diplomacy systems work. I would've said the same thing about Civ IV until I read about how the neutral/pleased/friendly system worked. If you were "friendly" with a civ they were guaranteed to not attack you, for some civs it would be enough to be at "pleased", but more aggressive leaders (Stalin etc.) could decide to attack you anyway. At neutral it could happen at any time from most civs, and if they'd started planning to attack you ~30 something turns before you went into friendly/pleased territory they would follow through with the plan. Knowing that I had a much easier time manipulating the AIs and I never felt "cheated" if they attacked me “out of nowhere”.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Rad- said:

Is this the same verdict in other reviews? Is there some sort slider to tell the AI how aggressive its supposed to be? Or sliders for each individual leader?

XiaNaphryz

Toma said:
Is this the same verdict in other reviews? Is there some sort slider to tell the AI how aggressive its supposed to be? Or sliders for each individual leader?
Leader personality traits are randomized at game startup. Check the OP.

f0rk

Toma said:

One review mentioned it was too hard to win a space race and a culture victory always came first for him. But that's clearly a playstyle "problem" rather than a real issue with the game.
I think it's just the reviewers aren't that good.

XiaNaphryz

f0rk said:
One review mentioned it was too hard to win a space race and a culture victory always came first for him. But that's clearly a playstyle "problem" rather than a real issue with the game.
I think it's just the reviewers aren't that good.
The only consistent thing I've seen in the reviews so far in terms of negatives is on the AI. PC Gamer touched up on it, as well as Tom Chick in a recent preview (his review's supposed to be up soon, where hopefully he'll expand on his issues).

are you guys pre-ordering the regular or deluxe edition?

is the bonus bablyon civilization worth the extra $10?

Note: I've never played a Civ game.

Sblargh

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:

I think the whole package of Babylon + soundtrack + behind the scenes are worth the extra $10, but if your whole interest is only Babylon, I would wait until it becomes an inevitable DLC as I doubt it will cost 10 bucks per civ.

XiaNaphryz

Forkball said:
Or you could just wait fifteen minutes for CivFanatics to recreate the Civ plus a ton of other ones.
Minus the leader render/native language vocal stuff anyway.

XiaNaphryz

Looks like Kmart's recent weekly ad is offering a $20 gaming coupon if you buy Civ V from them. I think it's in-store only as I don't see anything quickly skimming through their website.

Dreams-Visions said:

I'd go with regular. There's enough game to take in there already without worrying about missing an optional civilization.

Cday

Banned
Forkball said:
Or you could just wait fifteen minutes for CivFanatics to recreate the Civ plus a ton of other ones.

You give the Civ mod community too much credit. The first year of mods will consist of broken crap and anime re skins. Watch as everyone makes a mad dash to mod out Catherine's dress.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Trying to finish up reading this manual before game time. MrGameTheory over on Apolyton has a really good break down.

Sleep, goodbye, I'll miss thee.

XiaNaphryz

chuckddd said:
Trying to finish up reading this manual before game time. MrGameTheory over on Apolyton has a really good break down.

I dunno about his breakdowns, as he also slips in a bunch of trolling comments throughout his posts.

Sober

chuckddd said:

WARNING, that guy is a super troll.

Also, lol CF is tearing Anthony's review on IGN a new one. I mean, anyone that followed him knew he was hooked to Civ4 for quite a while but they expected him to write more indepth about the mod community and they're basically calling foul on all reviewers at being terrible at the game. Gimme a break :lol

Fanboys, never change.

Sblargh

Banned
Just to be sure:

When the UN is built, all Civs will vote for themselves. That means that *all* that matters is the city-state vote, right?
So, in a game with 8 civs, there will be 16 city-states, making 24 votes, which you want 12 (the 13th is yours).
So, the objective when going to a diplomatic victory is making 12 of those 16 city-states vote for you.
Is that it?

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
FFFUUU, caved on the preorder after playing another 4 hours of Civ IV. "I'll just play an hour or so, while I listen to the Tested podcast... aw nuts, it's 1am"

/fortifies self into bed for maximum sleep

sdornan

Those Civ Fanatics people are ridiculous...

Some dude said:
I thought that review was pretty bad though. It's fine if some people prefer Civ IV but that really shouldn't taint an objective review, because it's purely opinion.
:lol :lol :lol

Some other dude said:
The people who these reviewers are writing for are casual gamers!!!

They are trying to give the average man on the street a good idea if he will enjoy the game or not. You, nor I nor anyone else who is a member of the Civ Fanatics board AND has posted more than once on it count as the average man on the street, however good we are at pretending to be to our wives, children, friends and family!
Huh?

Top Bottom