• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V |OT| of Losing My Religion, And I Feel Fine...

So, while we wait, what Civ are you going to play as in your first game? I'm finding it difficult to chose between Songhai, China, Egypt, and Iroquois. I'm leaning towards Egypt just because of tradition, but the other three are very interesting...

Cday

Banned
Sblargh said:
Just to be sure:

When the UN is built, all Civs will vote for themselves. That means that *all* that matters is the city-state vote, right?
So, in a game with 8 civs, there will be 16 city-states, making 24 votes, which you want 12 (the 13th is yours).
So, the objective when going to a diplomatic victory is making 12 of those 16 city-states vote for you.
Is that it?

The AI would vote for you in Civ IV if they like you and absolutely hated everyone else. Also not sure if this is true but I remember reading something awhile back that said if you recapture a defeated Civs capital you have the option of bringing them back. They better vote for you after that.

Cday said:
The AI would vote for you in Civ IV if they like you and absolutely hated everyone else. Also not sure if this is true but I remember reading something awhile back that said if you recapture a defeated Civs capital you have the option of bringing them back. They better vote for you after that.

Is that main civs or just city-states? I've only seen it apply to city-states.

f0rk

Sblargh said:
Just to be sure:

When the UN is built, all Civs will vote for themselves. That means that *all* that matters is the city-state vote, right?
So, in a game with 8 civs, there will be 16 city-states, making 24 votes, which you want 12 (the 13th is yours).
So, the objective when going to a diplomatic victory is making 12 of those 16 city-states vote for you.
Is that it?

Sort of.
The Civ that built the UN gets 2 votes.
Civs will always vote for themselves unless liberated, where they vote for their liberator. To liberate a Civ you have to retake one of their cities after they have been eliminated and choose to liberate. (This is from the pdf manual, applies to city states AND proper civilizations.)
So if some people have been wiped out it's probably worth taking a city back and keeping them alive in a corner just to vote for you.

Sblargh

Banned
f0rk said:
Sort of.
The Civ that built the UN gets 2 votes.
Civs will always vote for themselves unless liberated, where they vote for their liberator. To liberate a Civ you have to retake one of their cities after they have been eliminated and choose to liberate. (This is from the pdf manual, applies to city states AND proper civilizations.)
So if some people have been wiped out it's probably worth taking a city back and keeping them alive in a corner just to vote for you.

That seems pretty correct, thank you.
I like how the diplomatic victory isn't the peaceful victory (that would be culture or scientific) as you will probably have to keep protecting city states (and capturing one or two that a rival city-state asks).
-
I can see creating world wars in order to protect the little bastards.

f0rk

Sblargh said:
That seems pretty correct, thank you.
I like how the diplomatic victory isn't the peaceful victory (that would be culture or scientific) as you will probably have to keep protecting city states (and capturing one or two that a rival city-state asks).
-
I can see creating world wars in order to protect the little bastards.

Yeah it definitely seems to be the most interesting victory condition to aim for.

Quixzlizx

During my first game of Civ III, after staying up 30 hours straight playing, I had steamrolled and completely conquered the "Eurasian" continent, and had 2 remaining civilizations to conquer that would've required a massive amphibious assault across a huge ocean. As I massed the largest army ever known to man I was also building every Wonder that I could get my hands on, and happened to build the UN without knowing what it did. I voted for myself, France voted for itself, and the third civ voted for me, and the game was over. I just sat there half-conscious, thinking about how anti-climactic that ending had been :lol

r1chard

This should be in the OP :)

Valru said:
Civilization Unlock Times

No matter where you buy your copy of Civilization V, you won't be able to play until the game unlocks in your region. Here are the unlock times that we know of:

North America:
September 21 @ 10am EDT (New York, Toronto, Fake Virginia, Miami)
September 21 @ 9am CDT (Chicago)
September 21 @ 8am MDT (Denver)
September 21 @ 7am PDT (California, Washington)
September 21 @ 11am ADT (Nova Scotia) [fixed: Thanks Canucker]

Worldwide: September 24 @ 00:00 UTC
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil : September 23 @ 21:00
Buenos Aires, Argentina : September 23 @ 21:00
Reykjavik, Iceland : 00:00
London, UK : 00:00
Berlin, Germany : 02:00
Johannesburg, South Africa : 02:00
Jerusalem, Israel : 02:00
Warsaw, Poland : 02:00
Rome, Italy : 02:00
Helsinki, Finland : 03:00
Moscow, Russian Federation : 03:00
Cairo, Egypt : 03:00
Tehran, Iran : 03:30
Mumbai, India : 05:30
Beijing, China : 08:00
Perth, Australia : 08:00
Tokyo, Japan : 09:00
Sydney, Australia : 10:00
For those who ordered through a digital distributor, this is the time when you will be able to activate the game on Steam. The same restriction applied to retail copies, no matter when they are bought or delivered. For more specific descriptions, see the vendor specific sections below.

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86542

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Lonewolf_92 said:
So, while we wait, what Civ are you going to play as in your first game? I'm finding it difficult to chose between Songhai, China, Egypt, and Iroquois. I'm leaning towards Egypt just because of tradition, but the other three are very interesting...
I will be none other than Haroun ibn Mohammed ibn Abdullah ibn Mohammed ibn Ali Ben Abdullah ibn Abbas called al Raschid. First among the faithful. Mine will be the glory and city of Baghdad, Pearl of Cities.

XiaNaphryz said:
Looks like Kmart's recent weekly ad is offering a $20 gaming coupon if you buy Civ V from them. I think it's in-store only as I don't see anything quickly skimming through their website.
I don't know who to buy from!!! halp.

Amazon - Exclusive Asia DLC

Steam - Exclusive Mesopotamia DLC

K-Mart - $20 toward some other game

*biggest sigh in the world*

maybe I'll just go to K-Mart and get the DLC when it becomes separately available for dirt cheap. idk.

Haly

Fertile Crescent is the shit man.

Hanging gardens and shit.

Blizzard

Banned
Hmm, I was going to wait until Christmas or something, but $30 is tempting if there was another game I'd have bought anyway and I can get from K-mart. Unfortunately I need to order a game from Amazon in like the next 30 days or whatever to use my $20 discount THERE, so I have to figure out what game releases are coming up that I can order. :lol

Is there any way to verify if a local K-mart will be honoring the detail? I'm guessing that my local one will be clueless and if I don't get a coupon on the checkout I'll be sad!

Haly

You can call them?

Most stores have dedicated call centers.

Service sucks though.

Blizzard

Banned
Halycon said:
You can call them?

Most stores have dedicated call centers.

Service sucks though.
What is this "call" of which you speak. Is this the telephone invention my grandpa used to tell me about? ;p

DEO3

Lonewolf_92 said:

The only one true civilization: Random

i don't want to buy this game, i have to many games to play but if i do buy this game will it be easy to mod? I want my alpha centauri on this CIV

I'm curious to see if Civ V will run decently on my 1st gen Alienware m11x. It's C2D is overclocked to 1.6ghz. The demo comes out tomorrow, right?

Hari Seldon

Technosteve said:
i don't want to buy this game, i have to many games to play but if i do buy this game will it be easy to mod? I want my alpha centauri on this CIV

Yes this game ships with robust modding tools, the Civ IV modding community was tremendous with many fantasy and sci-fi mods.

Sblargh

Banned
Gah, I don't know if I download the demo when it comes out or if I just wait the 2 fucking days.
Having a great game ends on turn 150 must be the definition of frustration in gaming... not that having to wait 2 extra days isn't.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Reluctant-Hero said:
I'm curious to see if Civ V will run decently on my 1st gen Alienware m11x. It's C2D is overclocked to 1.6ghz. The demo comes out tomorrow, right?
The min spec listed the manual is a core 2 duo 1.8 GHz, so you'll likely be fine until you get a bunch of stuff going on at the same time (late game, lots of civs and units on a big map, etc).

r1chard

Sblargh said:
Gah, I don't know if I download the demo when it comes out or if I just wait the 2 fucking days.
Having a great game ends on turn 150 must be the definition of frustration in gaming... not that having to wait 2 extra days isn't.
Nah, it always takes me a few games to get the feel of how a new Civ plays. Demo is definitely going to help.

Was gonna make the drive to Fry's tomorrow to pick this up then caved in and bought the D2D version to get the extra DLC. Preloading now.... can't wait!

With D2D you can use PAX as a promo code and get $5 off the price. They're offering Civ 3 for free plus some DLC when it gets released.

gillty

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
so Direct2Drive is the best deal outside of the $20 K-Mart deal?

(I'm still vacillating)
$45 (w/ PAX code) + Civ3 + 1st Double Civilization and Scenario Pack (2 more civs?)

D2D is by far the best deal prerelease.

Sblargh

Banned
sdornan said:
But they won't. :(

They could use the engine like they remade Colonization with the Civ 4 engine, I think even Pirates have something to do with the Civ 4 engine (or was it the Civ 3 engine?).

Anyway, they use Civ engine to make non-civ games, since they did Pirates and Colonization already, a new Alpha Centauri is not implausible.

Aaron

Sblargh said:
They could use the engine like they remade Colonization with the Civ 4 engine, I think even Pirates have something to do with the Civ 4 engine (or was it the Civ 3 engine?).

Anyway, they use Civ engine to make non-civ games, since they did Pirates and Colonization already, a new Alpha Centauri is not implausible.
Pretty sure they don't own the rights to the name, so pretty implausible yeah.

Chris R

Valru said:
$45 (w/ PAX code) + Civ3 + 1st Double Civilization and Scenario Pack (2 more civs?)

D2D is by far the best deal prerelease.
Does it provide a steam code? If so I might just jump on that...

EA owns the IP, i just want a space civ again with build my own units, and spys and sabotage units that steal intelligences and destroy your enhancements and psionics and swarms that cover the sky so black your drones huddle in fear.

Chris R

Aaron said:
It's a steamworks game, so yes, but the pax coupon has expired.
Fuck that PAX coupon :< Got screwed out of $1 Dirt 2 and now this :lol

Oh well I'll keep looking. Wish I could go to KMart :(

Top Bottom