• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS - October 2011 |OT| - Goons, Godmothers, and Gunwitches!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splatt

daredevil5.jpg

610x.jpg

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
thats it journey into mystery is officially "dat book" this book is a masterpiece lol, oh and if ya missed fear itself...this one issue is better than the 7 of the event.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Littleberu said:
The proportions are way off and it looks ridiculous.
.... body looks roughly 7 1/2 to 8 heads, chest is about 2 1/2 - heads, forms a triangle with teh waist, arms go down to the hips...its not terribly out of whack.

The end of Spider island was the Book of the Week. Actually funny jokes told by characters that would tell jokes (take notes Bendis), heartfelt ending that
spotlight's Peter's specialness as well as his geek/tech boy side
, and mass battles that
actually were both characterful, and had real weight to them
(take notes Fraction). Masterfully plotted and scripted.

And like Sinestro Corps War, the main story is self contained, and the side books serve only to flesh out side stories.

Kudos to Marvel for the only event that mattered this year, that was also in character.

Props for Stephen Wacker for editing all of Spider-Island. The guy has been scheduling and editing a stupid amount of comics for years now, from 52's weekly releases, to BND's three issues a month, now bi-monthly ASM and its all its crossovers and tie-ins. The guy is damn good at his job.

I relly enjoyed the a Cloak & Dagger, Shang Chi, and to a lesser extent the Spider Girl side stories.

The end of C&D blew my mind, especially with the epilogue that looked toward the future with
Nightmare and Mayhem, et al.

Yup, this Spider Island finale was masterful. I'm definitely buying the hard bound trade of this.

Did anyone notice
how Kaine popped out those stingers?! I haven't seen those referenced since "The Other". I thought that was unique to Peter as he went through that evolution. Or maybe Kaine manifested those as a side effect from his time as "Spider King"?
N

And
seeing MJ whisper her love for Peter makes me want to see them back together. But not necessarily married.

comedy bomb said:
So did Spider Island reveal who the new Scarlet Spider is?

Pretty sure it's going to be
Kaine, Peter's clone.

comedy bomb said:
So did Spider Island reveal who the new Scarlet Spider is?

Next week's issue is the epilogue issue, but I'm pretty sure its
Kaine

And yeah, the SI ending feels earned and heartfelt, which character-based storytelling that has been building towards the conclusion. Everybody saving the day and doing the big speeches and funny jokes, its a fistpump moment instead of a total groaner or shrug of the shoulders like FI ended on.

More importantly, that was a good SPIDER-MAN EVENT COMIC. We've never had one of those before!

Reluctant-Hero said:
Yup, this Spider Island finale was masterful. I'm definitely buying the hard bound trade of this.

Did anyone notice
how Kaine popped out those stingers?! I haven't seen those referenced since "The Other". I thought that was unique to Peter as he went through that evolution. Or maybe Kaine manifested those as a side effect from his time as "Spider King"?

A little obscure factoid about Kaine: back in his original Clone Saga appearances, he had stingers. Not Other-style stingers, but he had a pair of retractable, possibly organic spurs that were called the "Sting of Kaine" to complement his "Mark of Kaine," which was basically using Spider-Man's clinging ability to burn a nasty-looking hand-print into his victims' faces. It didn't see much in the way of use and may have been quietly excised from his "official" power-set just because it was too Wolverine-like, which turned out to be the same complaint people had after Peter gained stingers from The Other. Just a curious little bit of Spider-Man history, which Dan Slott is almost always on top of.

LeonSKennedy90 said:
A little obscure factoid about Kaine: back in his original Clone Saga appearances, he had stingers. Not Other-style stingers, but he had a pair of retractable, possibly organic spurs that were called the "Sting of Kaine" to complement his "Mark of Kaine," which was basically using Spider-Man's clinging ability to burn a nasty-looking hand-print into his victims' faces. It didn't see much in the way of use and may have been quietly excised from his "official" power-set just because it was too Wolverine-like, which turned out to be the same complaint people had after Peter gained stingers from The Other. Just a curious little bit of Spider-Man history, which Dan Slott is almost always on top of.
Holy shit, you're so right. I vaguely remember that fact!

I loved early 90s ASM when Bagley was drawing it monthly...

Really, really enjoyed I,Vampire this week. The first issue was good, but this one just seemed to resonate so much more with me and I really dig the art. If you like somewhat traditional vampire stories, I would suggest this.

Okay. Now I read The Red Wing #1-4 and I have no clue what happened at the end of #4. Can anyone explain this to me? Hickman just confused the hell out of me.

Nesotenso

LeonSKennedy90 said:
Props for Stephen Wacker for editing all of Spider-Island. The guy has been scheduling and editing a stupid amount of comics for years now, from 52's weekly releases, to BND's three issues a month, now bi-monthly ASM and its all its crossovers and tie-ins. The guy is damn good at his job.

The Spider office which Wacker is in charge of is putting out Punisher and Daredevil as well, some of the best books at Marvel.

ETA : jeangreyschool.com redirects to Marvel website.

krypt0nian said:
Looks like Spider Island is one trade, with the minis as another trade. At least according to Amazon.
Yeah, I just pre-ordered both. Came to around $52 bucks for both, not bad. But it's a shame that books are being released a month a part from each other.

Reluctant-Hero said:
And
seeing MJ whispered feelings for Peter Makes me want to see them back together. But not necessarily married.

Ugh I know.
As much as I like the idea of Carlie, she doesn't compare to MJ. For awhile I thought maybe they could pull it off but MJ is still the pull.

Just want to thank everyone that hyped the new Wolverine/X-men book, picked it up, and it's worth every penny of the $3.99.

I'm getting flashbacks of back when I use to collect "Generation X". :)

Is Batman 2 out yet?

I'm a huge fan of Capullo drawing it but his style seems a lot simpler now. Is that because McFarlane isn't inking it any more?

RoninChaos said:
Is Batman 2 out yet?

I'm a huge fan of Capullo drawing it but his style seems a lot simpler now. Is that because McFarlane isn't inking it any more?

I think it's heads and tails better than his Spawn days.

Spiderman: I love how they are
sitting up there and Pete seems to have forgotten about Carlie for that one moment and has his arm around MJ. They are meant for eachother.

-Pyromaniac- said:
sitting up there and Pete seems to have forgotten about Carlie for that one moment and has his arm around MJ. They are meant for eachother.
Seriously,
Pete watched her morph into a giant spider and get lost in the crowd. Then he stoked our saving the entire city and she's the furthest thing from his mind because MJ is right there with him.

It'll be interesting to seeing Carly in next month's epilogue.

KidDork

Wolverine and The X-Men did the impossible: it made me laugh *and* smile on a Wednesday.

Other pick-ups today included Ultimates #3, AMS #672 (love that cover), and Annihilators: Earthfall #2. (still searching this sorry town for No. 1)

Spike Spiegel said:
You guys are killing me with the WatXM love, I had to work late and missed going to the shop today. Must... not... highlight... spoilers.
it really is truly amazing. It's everything one would want in an X-Book.

Thor can take 'em!

And Peter is telling somebody he's Spider-Man in the next issue, so I'm gonna ASSUME its Carlie, and she breaks up with him after all the lies, and everyone leaves happy.

Can't til next week!

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
LeonSKennedy90 said:
jeangreyschoolbrochure.jpg

So many funny things in here. Sex Ed by Gambit. Flying Into Things Headfirst by Cannonball. Astonishing X-men nod with the Ethics 101. World History, an eyewitness account by Wolverine.

This is gonna be a great book, I think.

im confused... were the kurtlings saying bamf instead of actually teleporting? and how much of his arms has hellion lost? i mean damn....

but other than that, this looks like the book to beat. at least until i can get my hands on the new(or should i say old?) x-factor. and bachalos art makes it that much easier to enjoy.

OK so,

2 DC books this week had someone inhabiting the body of a person of the opposite gender and attempting to bang a chick.

But while Deadman's lesbian power fantasy between Dove and June Moon got cockblocked, Priscilla totally did Ms. FBI in the body of that dude she killed.

For some reason i find this all just hilarious.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
LeonSKennedy90 said:
OK so,

2 DC books this week had someone inhabiting the body of a person of the opposite gender and attempting to bang a chick.

But while Deadman's lesbian power fantasy between Dove and June Moon got cockblocked, Priscilla totally did Ms. FBI in the body of that dude she killed.

For some reason i find this all just hilarious.

this is sounding more and more ridiculous as time goes on. im losing interest in the auxiliary dc titles.

ReiGun

-Pyromaniac- said:
Yup. Perfect ending to what has been a great story.

Other stuff:

Aquaman: Not as good as the first issue, but I still liked it.

Justice League: Better than the first issue. Really liked the banter between the team and that
Steve Trevor interview
in the has me intrigued for the next issue.

Spaceman: Picked this up because I've liked Azzarello's Wonder Woman so far and wanted to check out more of his stuff. I really liked the art, but nothing really happened to grab me. Still, I can give it another issue or two.

SI: Cloak and Dagger: Well that was anti-climatic. [spolier]The whole thing was about Dagger being meant to kill Mr. Negative (which would have been awesome cause he sucks), but instead, we just get the two swapping powers and a cliff hanger.[/spoiler] Hopefully, we get a series from this.

Wolverine and the X-Men: Loved it. I was smiling every other page. Such an enjoyable book.

Incredible Hulk: It was alright. Not a big Hulk fan, so I don't think I'll keep reading. Also,
If the lead agent thought Hulk was just a big rampaging idiot, why would she attack him first? What if he just smashed all of them before she could get a word in?

Spaceman.... I really don't know what the hell I just read. One of the weirder comics I've picked up.

TMNT is still good. Nothing AMAZING has happened, but it's paced well, and continues to hold my interest. I really do hope they implement the color bandana system eventually. I know red's been the comic standard, but it gets pretty confusing at times.

All-Star Western was also great, at least in terms of style. Was unaware that it was going to be an anthology comic, so that's cool too, even if the Diablo story was less interesting than Hex's.

I regret not picking up W&tXM. I'll have to get that later.

Chiave

Yeah I'm totally confused. Are they trying to make people clamor for issue#1 by selling massive amounts of #2? I placed an order on it should they decide to do a 2nd printing but what are the chances of that happening anytime soon? I really don't want to use eBay to get it.

I just bought my first comic off of DC iOS app. It was #1 Justice League, I think I may try to find an original printing of this as I prefer having physical items. If I go onto eBay, how can I tell the difference between the different printings? Or are there none?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom