• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2016. I Think You're Fearless

Zombine

Banned
Did anyone notice that the Gwenpool #3 cover is a My Neighbor Totoro reference?

Freeza plz...that's not a hard one to figure out there. I've seen that bit from the movie riffed on so many times that I wish fans would parody any other scene but that one.

Still a cute pic though. Troma dub still the best dub. Who at Disney though hiring those creepy little girls was a good thing?

so i just came across the marvel bogof sale - for a very casual comic book reader who hasn't touched any of the anad stuff, what are must reads?

Done with reading all of Kirby's Fourth World - I really enjoyed 'Even Gods Must Die' and 'The Hunger Dogs' does provide a conclusion of sorts, but the series does leave you with a vast what-could-have-been feeling. At least Scott and Barda got their happy ending.

I think the volume I will find myself revisiting the most is the third one.

Zombine

Banned
Hellboy Library edition vol 1 is a 10/10. Absolute masterwork in storytelling and the art is divine. This right here is everything that is right in this medium.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Hellboy Library edition vol 1 is a 10/10. Absolute masterwork in storytelling and the art is divine. This right here is everything that is right in this medium.

Thats one of the books I've ordered. Going off that reading list you provided yesterday.

I'd argue that's one of the weaker stories too, especially Seeds of Destruction.

It's still fantastic though. Conqueror Worm and the big trilogy finale are just incredible comics. Hellboy in Hell is also really wonderful from the two issues I did read. Just Mignola doing his thing and it's great.

Quick question for any Batman comic book fans. I was told that there is a batman comic series where Commissioner Gordan hunts down the Batman after finding out his daughter was batgirl.

Is this true? And if so, which comic series is this?

Messi

Bruce Timm Art of War Wonder Woman statue disappeared from diamonds list and is now TBA. Thank fuck. Couldn't afford it this week.

Zombine

Banned
I'd argue that's one of the weaker stories too, especially Seeds of Destruction.

It's still fantastic though. Conqueror Worm and the big trilogy finale are just incredible comics. Hellboy in Hell is also really wonderful from the two issues I did read. Just Mignola doing his thing and it's great.

I actually did something really weird and read Hellboy In Hell before I read any of this. With what little knowledge I had of the series, I enjoyed it immensely. I feel like once I'm "done" here I'll be able to enjoy it even more with additional context that was missing before my first read.

I think what I enjoyed the most about Seed of Destruction is the scale of it. It reminded me of a Batman story like Year One to be quite honest, setting the tone for the entire franchise while acting as a "day in the life" sort of adventure for Hellboy. The art is phenomenal and gave me crazy Batman vibes. Mignola is a fookin Legend.

Lashley

On average, how long would you say it takes you lot to read a regular 25-30 paged comic book?

I'd say about 10-15 minutes for me

Zombine

Banned
On average, how long would you say it takes you lot to read a regular 25-30 paged comic book?

Probably 10 minutes. Comic is fully digested too. I don't feel like I miss anything. The only time I slow down is if the book is super dialogue heavy.

I actually did something really weird and read Hellboy In Hell before I read any of this. With what little knowledge I had of the series, I enjoyed it immensely. I feel like once I'm "done" here I'll be able to enjoy it even more with additional context that was missing before my first read.

I think what I enjoyed the most about Seed of Destruction is the scale of it. It reminded me of a Batman story like Year One to be quite honest, setting the tone for the entire franchise while acting as a "day in the life" sort of adventure for Hellboy. The art is phenomenal and gave me crazy Batman vibes. Mignola is a fookin Legend.
You'll love the rest of the series then. Hellboy is a lot like Batman in the sense that you can just throw him in all kinds of short stories and it works really well. The second Library Edition is actually comprised of just short stories and it's great. There's a ton of them scattered throughout the series inbetween the major stories.

Mignola stops drawing the regular book after Conqueror Worm but the artists after him are perfect for what they do. Duncan Fegredo's work is just amazing in the stories he worked on.

Really depends on what I'm reading. Older comics tend to be very dense and take me longer but a lot of modern comics tend to take me 10 minutes or so an issue.

Messi

Messi list of I am going to start reconsidering these marvel books soon.

Batgirl #51
Batman #51
Black Canary #11
Deathstroke #17
Grayson #19
Harley Quinn #27
Omega Men #11
Secret Six #13
Suicide Squad most wanted #4
Teen Titans #19
We are Robin #11

Low #13
Saga #36
Sex Criminals #15
Velvet #14

4 kids walk into a bank #1
Insexts #5
Superzero #5
Faith #5

A year of Marvels #1
Amazing Spider-Man #11
All New Wolverine #7
Angela Queen of Hel #7
Avengers Standoff Omega #1
Daredevil #6
Drax #6
Dr Strange #7
Dr Strange Last days of magic #1
International Iron Man #2
Moon Girl and Devil Dino #6
Ms Marvel #6
Old Man Logan #5
Patsy Walker #5
Spider-Woman#6
Spidey #5
Star Lord #6
Squadron Supreme #6
Ultimates #6
Squirrel Girl #7
Venom Space Knight #6
X-Men Worst X-Man Ever #3

200w.gif

Okay, I need a guide to start Hellboy. Where do I start?

The beginning which is Seeds of Destruction. You can just read the Library Editions in order if you just want to read Hellboy. BPRD is very good though and worth reading as well since it's in the same universe and has more or less become the main book for the universe.

Basic order for the two goes:
Hellboy Library Editions 1-3
BPRD Plague of Frogs 1-3
Hellboy LE 4-5
BPRD Plague of Frogs 4
Hellboy LE 6
From there, you can read BPRD Hell on Earth and Hellboy in Hell. There's other books along the way too, like Abe Sapien and Lobster Johnson, but you really don't need to read them unless you want more.

You can check out Hellboy and the BPRD 1952 whenever too, even before anything else since it takes place in the past. It's totally separate from the other stuff. You don't really need to follow the Multiversity guide exactly. I personally did the last two Hellboy Library Editions together since it's a connected story and I have yet to read BPRD 1946-1948.

Really excited to see more people interested in the universe. Getting into it last year was so worth it. Hellboy and BPRD have both become some of my favorite comics.

Amazing Spider-Man #11
Batman #51
Doctor Strange #7
Ghostbusters International #4 of 4
Grayson #19
Injection #9
Low #13
Pathfinder: The Hollow Mountain #6 of 6
Secret Six #13
Superman/Wonder Woman #28 (Final Days of Superman)
Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #52

Lashley

I wonder if they'll use any other villains besides females that can control him for Amadeus Hulk?

Reading it to find out what's happened to Banner, but this is a bit dull tbh

Messi

I wonder if they'll use any other villains besides females that can control him for Amadeus Hulk?

Reading it to find out what's happened to Banner, but this is a bit dull tbh

I mean... This is the first arc. It just happened that the big bad was a woman. It's not like we are 20 issues in and every villian is a woman.

Owzers

Bruce Timm Art of War Wonder Woman statue disappeared from diamonds list and is now TBA. Thank fuck. Couldn't afford it this week.

I was thinking about that statue a few weeks ago and wondering why it wasn't out already. I didn't order it, only thing i have pre-ordered was the zatanna figure that got delayed several months into oblivion. I'm fairly disheartened about statues right now due to paint reasons and don't feel like ordering any. I skipped the koto gwen though koto apparently has better quality control per freeza and i'm debating holiday harley statue. It's just going to have some weird paint problem on whatever area is directly in front of my eyes at all times.

Top Bottom