• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2015. Let's save the world, you and me, together. Ready?

Leave my waifu alone

"Man Civil War tackles such serious issues"

tumblr_mee6pk4XAr1qfxvj3o3_1280.jpg

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
After issue 8 I feel like Nailbiter is quickly losing all the momentum it built up through the first 5 issues. The issue with Bendis going to Buckaroo to do research for a serial killer comic he wanted to write was kind of interesting but at the same time it didn't move the story along much.

I've been on an Ellis/Shalvey kick today (with the Comixology sales on right now). Besides Moon Knight and Injection, I just discovered the series of variant covers Shalvey did for Project Superpowers: Blackcross this year:

Amazing work.

I'll do a top everything of 2015. 2015 was not my favorite year in my short comic reading (3years). DCs product has been all over the place and has made me fear getting attached to a book as I'm afraid it will just get canceled. There is books I like as much as some of these but didn't make the list because they are only 2-4 issues in.

My top 10 in no order.

Star Wars/Darth Vader - These are grouped together as their storylines have been pretty tight together all year. Back half of the year, they are tied together. Just a fun story that fills holes in a world full of characters that I love.

Outcast - This is the best thriller/religious horror book on the stands. You have to admit, Robert Kirkman is doing something right if you like him or not. Dude could easily retire if he wanted.

Justice League - This book has been on fire since FE ended and Fabok is the perfect artist for the book. Just epic, blockbuster storytelling.

Omega Men - Smart, intelligent, mysterious. Tom King has crafted a very well done space opera in the DCU that has been great every issue. When is the last time a book was cancelled then un-cancelled due to fans letting their voice be heard.

Batman - it's Batman, by my beloved creative team of Snyder and Capullo. They crafted one of the best Batman/Joker stories and have the balls to experiment with the character after that. Always fun.

Tokyo Ghost - it's early still but the art and subject matter put it on the list. A finely crafted comic with characters I'm really interested to see how they turn out.

Saga - it's just consistently good. There is a reason it keeps on getting the awards every year. It's one of the most reliable comics on the stands as far as entertaining you.

Archie - I'm a sucker for high school stories be it in movies, shows, or comics. The book is well written and the artist have been amazing.

Deadly Class - is GOAT class comics. With that said, do I need to say anything else?

Descender - 8 issues in and it has been very entertaining and probably my favorite Lemire story I have read.

Honorable mentions
Vision
Grayson
Beauty
Southern Bastards

Top 5 Writers

Rick Remender
Tom King
Scott Snyder
Jason Aaron
Robert Kirkman

Top 5 artist

Wes Craig
Greg Capullo
Sean Murphy
Fiona Staples
Paul Azaceta

Vibranium

Banned
Bullseye's always been a creep. There's a run of Elektra (I haven't read it, but a friend of mine has) where he's apparently the equivalent of an internet fanboy stalker. Stalking Elektra.

Man fuck Bullseye.

Bullseye is an awesome villain because of how much of a mentally ill, creepy bastard he is. The TV series better capture that if he appears in Season 3.

He's not some stone-faced assassin, he's a lunatic who enjoys everything he does.

Bullseye is an awesome villain because of how much of a mentally ill, creepy bastard he is. The TV series better capture that if he appears in Season 3.

He's not some stone-faced assassin, he's a lunatic who enjoys everything he does.

He's definitely one of the scummiest Marvel villains.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I'm seeing BK in so many threads I'm starting to feel like I'm stalking him

Or he's stalking me :eek:

Moon Knight by Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev

A fun run. I really enjoyed it. My only sadness is that it wasn't longer. Feels like there could have been a lot more told with this storyline, such as the Hollywood bit and doing more with the L.A. front in general. The romance aspect. A lot of it felt underdeveloped. Still, I really enjoyed it. Good action sequences, and I really liked the character after this.

Now, I've read Bendis' and Ellis' respective runs. What other some other good Moon Knight runs out there?

I'm seeing BK in so many threads I'm starting to feel like I'm stalking him

Or he's stalking me :eek:

Why not both?

shingi70

Banned
Should have waited for the new year to change avatars but its not Christmas anymore.

Was on Scans Daily and saw an interesting comment on how girly hijink books may be hurting books with a woman lead that are a bit more serious.

It just dawned on me as well that Marvel has made quite a few characters sad sacks. Hate how ineffective Sam is in Captain America.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Can't get over how good the Inhuman comics have been in ANAD.

Loving Uncanny Inhumans.

Digital comics look so much better on a tablet, rather than an actual comic too. No going back.

Owzers

Digital comic propaganda. Do not believe these people, for print is where comics belong. And it's where they shall remain.

Owzers

Forgive me print comics, i just bought more digital comics....

....Sunstone vol 2 and 3 and Sexcastle. I still don't want to get ongoing stuff digitally, probably getting Deadly Class vol 2 and 3, Nailbiter vol 2, and Southern Bastards vol 2 in print trades to match vol 1 and to live on the shelf. Image trade sales aren't consistent enough either. I do like that Image lets you back-up your digital comics on cmx.

Recently bought

Arzach - spanish edition because english versions are hard to find and its cheaper than a french version

Eyes of the Cat Yellow Edition - more Moebius more Moebius. Im gonna try to get all the Moebius

Manara Erotica vol 1 - did you know this thing is sold out everywhere and goes for 450+ on amazon and ebay? I might have to flip mine for a pretty penny
Im not doing that
the cover and content is pretty obv NSFW so not posting that

Someone help my wallet, I've gone euro snob. Caught that humanoids fever. Remember that spreadsheet I made that grades out the pages/dollar value of collections I wanted. Its burning right now

After issue 8 I feel like Nailbiter is quickly losing all the momentum it built up through the first 5 issues. The issue with Bendis going to Buckaroo to do research for a serial killer comic he wanted to write was kind of interesting but at the same time it didn't move the story along much.

It goes through a slow period of a few issues but picks back up in a good way.

VanWinkle

Green Arrow: Archer's Quest by Brad Meltzer was really great. Think I will start Wednesday Comics now. I just love the format so much.

Corpsepyre

Banned
2014-09-10-AnnilhatorCover.jpg

Finished reading all of Annihilator just now, and MAN, this was QUITE the trip!

It's like...Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas meets existentialist science fiction, with satire of Hollywood thrown in. Just an incredible read, with some truly over-the-top otherworldly ideas peppered in. Morrison can be a mad genius when he wants to be.

tim1138

Finished reading all of Annihilator just now, and MAN, this was QUITE the trip!

It's like...Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas meets existentialist science fiction, with satire of Hollywood thrown in. Just an incredible read, with some truly over-the-top otherworldly ideas peppered in. Morrison can be a mad genius when he wants to be.

Annihilator was my favorite Morrison book in the past year, ahead of both Nameless and Multiversity. It was just so out there and brilliant and Irving's art was perfect.

Owzers

Sexcastle is pretty good so far, if it were a little funnier i'd have to recommend people buy it, but it's just a solid goofy action-ish/Walking Tall-ish book.

VanWinkle

So I didn't love the Batman story in Wednesday Comics. That was a bit disappointing. Art was sort of meh with proportions that were off and a lack of detail, the story was a bit by the numbers and the ending seemed weird to me.

BUT, the next story in the collection is Kamandi: The Last Boy on Earth, and I'm LOVING it. Never even heard of this character, but this story just suits this huge format PERFECTLY. The art is incredibly intricate and detailed, with older style of colors that don't necessarily seem outdated at all, and the writing is perfect. I'm really enjoying this.

So I'm going through the list of image comics to buy in the sale. Got to the fade out and I like the look of it but volume 2 collecting issues 5-8 is £6.99 and the individual issues are £1.49. There is no mention of anything extra in volume 2. Will this be a mis price?

Messi

So I'm going through the list of image comics to buy in the sale. Got to the fade out and I like the look of it but volume 2 collecting issues 5-8 is £6.99 and the individual issues are £1.49. There is no mention of anything extra in volume 2. Will this be a mis price?

Image discounts single issues after a month. Prices are right the trades are just a bit more expensive. I doubt you will miss much if anything. If it's anything like Velvet there is actually more in the single issues like letters and essays in velvets case.

Please try velvet, it's awesome.

Image discounts single issues after a month. Prices are right the trades are just a bit more expensive. I doubt you will miss much if anything. If it's anything like Velvet there is actually more in the single issues like letters and essays in velvets case.

Please try velvet, it's awesome.

Cool thanks. Just added it to my basket actually. I read the first issue that was free (maybe one of the Christmas freebies) and loved the premise and style.

I'm trying to limit myself to completed series or collections that have brought out a hardcover version so that there is at least a completed portion of the story.

Ross61

Can ya'll recommend me some great buddy comics( both capes and indie.) Something like Deadpool & Cable/ Superman & Batman

Top Bottom