• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2013. Celebrate liberty with the ultimate patriotic superhero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damian Wayne mini-series written/drawn by Andy Kubert? Man what

Y9dVNY4.jpg

...:(

And with that, Spike Spiegal's OT making abilities were revoked

Rafa, you wanna be a comic superstar, this is the next big step

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I must be one of the only people on GAF to be somewhat glad Damian is gone.

I'm just disappointed that Morrison decided to end his run by rehashing one of, if not the, most famous stories in Batman history. He's fond of taking his ball and going home, but dead Robin has been done many times and Damian was just too new for most people to give much of a shit. Bad end note.

krypt0nian - welcome back to ComicsGAF, brah. Now sell me on the Movement. You and GrandHarrier say good things but my friend who worships Simone hates it. What's the story?

What does your friend dislike? The Movement is basically the idea of a team of vigilantes who want to protect the low classes of society that get abused by police, ignored by the government, the ones who suffer the most (there is also a specific storythread of
a serial killer)
. The problem, however, is that the group doesn't quite know how to do it. Some of the members want to be "heroes" while others want to be more Punisher style. So there is this conflict of ideals. It has a feel of people who have been planning for this stand they've taken and then realized they weren't really prepared. "Whoops! We're in over our heads OH FUCKwhatdowedonow, be cool we got this."

It's Simone exploring several fascinating dynamics at once. She also introduces a number of new characters that are instantly identifiable.

That's my feeling about it.

WanderingWind

What does your friend dislike? The Movement is basically the idea of a team of vigilantes who want to protect the low classes of society that get abused by police, ignored by the government, the ones who suffer the most (there is also a specific storythread of
a serial killer)
. The problem, however, is that the group doesn't quite know how to do it. Some of the members want to be "heroes" while others want to be more Punisher style. So there is this conflict of ideals. It has a feel of people who have been planning for this stand they've taken and then realized they weren't really prepared. "Whoops! We're in over our heads OH FUCKwhatdowedonow, be cool we got this."

It's Simone exploring several fascinating dynamics at once. She also introduces a number of new characters that are instantly identifiable.

Wait. You changed your name? Why???

Vyer

For me, Damian might be the first character in all my years of reading comics where the 'death' actually bothered me enough that I hope he comes back sooner rather than later.

Usually I take comic book deaths in stride because of the nature of the beast and rather see what happens in the meantime. But not here. I liked the character that much. Of course, if/when he comes back he wouldn't be written by Morrison so that takes a little of the enthusiasm away.

Blader

I'm just disappointed that Morrison decided to end his run by rehashing one of, if not the, most famous stories in Batman history. He's fond of taking his ball and going home, but dead Robin has been done many times and Damian was just too new for most people to give much of a shit. Bad end note.

Speak for yourself! I fucking love Damien, and Morrison did a great job of building up that character and actually making me care that he died. The other sidekicks - aside from Dick - I couldn't give a shit about.

Plus, rehashing is kinda the name of the game of Morrison's Batman run. It's not like he just ripped off the "death of Robin" story because he ran out of ideas, his whole run has been about mining all Batman stories and all continuities. It's not so dissimilar from his New X-Men, where told his own story by paying homage to the franchise's greatest hits (Sentinels, Magneto, Phoenix, alternate dark future, etc.) - another run that he also coincidentally ended with a 'rehash death.'

ReiGun

Adventures of Superman #1-10: I won't know for sure till I read more of Smallville S11 to compare, but I'm calling this the best Superman book out. Even the weaker tales are enjoyable.

Earth 2 #14: I'm going to miss Robinson on this book. Really love the world he's built here. I feel like I should recognize [spoilers]Steppenwolfe's hounds, but I'm not up on my New Gods knowledge. Love Alan's plan. "We go in, fuck shit up, then I launch a PR campaign. What could go wrong?"
The Movement #3: Best issue yet. I'm amazed how much I'm enjoying this. The main leader girl is kinda dull though.

The Green Team #2: What's sad about how much I'm loving this comic is knowing it's doomed to be canceled. :( Mo is definitely the worst of the bunch in that he's kind of dull, but I'm sure his story will shape up. Cecilia is probably my favorite character.

Batman Inc. #12: Holy shit that was awesome.

Green Arrow #22: Best issue since 17. Art is still stellar.

Trinity of Sin: Pandora #1: Why was this good tho? Pandora has some potential as a character.
I wonder how/if her story is going to tie into Shazam's.

Decided to get Superior Foes of Spider-Man, but I haven't read it yet.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I picked up the full run of Avengers Academy because of Arena. Finished it.
Now I'm bummed about the first death, and kinda hoping that Reptil dies.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Batman '66 is awesome, but "daytime license"? Restricted licenses weren't a thing when I was in high school, let alone in '66.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

Do you really think Damian was too new to affect people? He's been around for 7 full years now, and seems pretty popular.

I think if anything's contributing to a slightly underwhelming feeling with Morrison's run it's that the New 52 ended up overshadowing it and distracting people. That and the break between chunks of Batman Inc.

tim1138

a serial killer)

Thanks for the write up. So basically everything you like and describe as a positive she hates, especially the new characters. Sounds like the perfect book to trade wait on for me.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Do you really think Damian was too new to affect people? He's been around for 7 full years now, and seems pretty popular.

I think if anything's contributing to a slightly underwhelming feeling with Morrison's run it's that the New 52 ended up overshadowing it and distracting people. That and the break between chunks of Batman Inc.

Exactly correct. I think that Damo was actually around longer than post-crisis JT - I think that was literally only a year, maybe 2. There are more Damian Wayne stories than Jason Todd Robin stories, that's for sure. The B&R run with Dick is enough to make the character legendary.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
New 52 B&R run with Bruce had a great Damian too, Tomasi & Gleason did a great job with the character.

I love Damian, so it's one of the deaths I wouldn't mind seeing reversed eventually. It will be interesting to see how long his absence lasts though. I mean, his family deals with organ harvest and magic life pools...

Look, Damian had some great stories told under Morrison's wing (and Tomasi too from what I understand, but what I've seen of those were manufactured saccharine), but he's been around for seven years and is leaving at the right time, with an impactful death and at the climax of the story he was introduced for. If he hadn't died when he did, if he hung around after Morrison's exit, then I can almost guarantee you that Damian would have overstayed his welcome, become "another" Robin, and eventually grown up just like the rest of them to compound the issue of "Old Man Bruce Wayne." My personal opinion falls in line with others who believe that there are too many Robins already, and that when they grow up -- not if, but when, because writers can't help themselves when it comes to "aging up" child characters -- they contribute to the overall sense that Batman is the adult, the old guy, the "no fun" mature one of the League bunch. And, at a time when DC is struggling to renew and refresh its iconic characters for younger generations, can one honestly say they would accomplish that with Batman if Damian Wayne graduates high school, and Bruce ends up with a biological son in college? Not to mention what that would do to Tim, Jason, Babs, and Dick?

You guys know how I feel about the New52, but honestly? At a time when every other major DC character was getting the "Fountain of Youth" treatment, they neglected to do so with a character who arguably needs it the most -- and their most popular character at that. Killing Damian off at least kept the problem from getting worse, and potentially went a little ways toward rectifying their mistake.

Personally I want to see how we eventually get to Old Man Bruce Wayne, but the business side of the medium won't allow it.
That's why we have alternate future tales and books like these.

v3U5j7I.jpg

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Personally I want to see how we eventually get to Old Man Bruce Wayne, but the business side of the medium won't allow it.

Vyer

Spike, you would have then just complained about what DC 'did to their most popular character.' :p

Seriously though, how many 'real life' years Damian's character has been around is irrelevant. What's important are good characters that are handled well, and that's what he was for the most part. You're essentially saying 'man I hate New 52 and what it's done to these characters, but I'm glad Damian's gone because him being around really kept them from doing that stuff to this character!'

I mean, unless I'm mistaken, you've already shown a disdain for Year Zero, essentially DC moving forward with New 52ing up Batman more.

Owzers

What if Bruce put Damian in the lazarus pit and he came out a baby, like that futurama episode where they stayed in the spa pit too long.

...and then he hired Stephanie Brown to be the babysitter!

snorggy

Alright so all this Damian talk has me wanting to go back to read the character's origins. My only exposure has been on the New 52 Batman & Robin series and I quite liked the little scamp.

Can someone compile a reading list or can link me to a reading list? I don't need to read absolutely everything he's been in, just the core, important stuff.

EDIT: found this link... is this accurate? - http://deconstructingdamian.tumblr.com/post/27633778980/essential-reading

Alright so all this Damian talk has me wanting to go back to read the character's origins. My only exposure has been on the New 52 Batman & Robin series and I quite liked the little scamp.

Can someone compile a reading list or can link me to a reading list? I don't need to read absolutely everything he's been in, just the core, important stuff.

EDIT: found this link... is this accurate? - http://deconstructingdamian.tumblr.com/post/27633778980/essential-reading

Looks pretty legit yeah. It seems overly precise with a reading order though. And stuff like the Batgirl isn't really "essential".

I'd say all you REALLY need would be “Batman and Son”, Batman and Robin Pre New 52 and Batman and Robin New 52, then of course Batman Inc.

Spike, you would have then just complained about what DC 'did to their most popular character.' :p

Seriously though, how many 'real life' years Damian's character has been around is irrelevant. What's important are good characters that are handled well, and that's what he was for the most part. You're essentially saying 'man I hate New 52 and what it's done to these characters, but I'm glad Damian's gone because him being around really kept them from doing that stuff to this character!'

I mean, unless I'm mistaken, you've already shown a disdain for Year Zero, essentially DC moving forward with New 52ing up Batman more.
Having Damian gone now when he's still young and appealing prevents future writers, writers who aren't Grant Morrison, from resorting to "firsts" stories: first day at school, first kiss, first serious girlfriend, first day of high school, first homecoming dance, first day at college, et cetera. In other words, those important events in a young person's life that signify their growing up, that writers resort to telling because they've run out of stories to tell... stories that inevitably age the characters around that child, which becomes a serious problem when the child is not the main character.

At the end of the day, there are only three things you can do with a child character: age them, kill them, or pull a Franklin Richards. And Marvel barely manages to pull that last one off most of the time; people call them out on it, but I guess they get away with it because the FF is sort of this crystallized Silver Age family archetype? I don't think DC could get away with it, certainly not with Batman.

Damian's dead. If some writer wants to tell "firsts" stories about him, that's what "What If"s are for, books like this upcoming Kubert mini.

snorggy

Looks pretty legit yeah. It seems overly precise with a reading order though. And stuff like the Batgirl isn't really "essential".

I'd say all you REALLY need would be “Batman and Son”, Batman and Robin Pre New 52 and Batman and Robin New 52, then of course Batman Inc.

Yeah, that site's list is broken up into two lists - essential and "continued reading" ... Batman Inc isn't mentioned in there anywhere, but I will take your word for it and check it out. Thanks!

Yeah, that site's list is broken up into two lists - essential and "continued reading" ... Batman Inc isn't mentioned in there anywhere, but I will take your word for it and check it out. Thanks!

Batman Inc isn't going to have as much Damian as something like Batman and Robin, for example, but he is still one of the main side characters and it "concludes" his story for all intents and purposes for the time being. If you didn't want to get it, I'd suggest at least getting issue #8 of the New 52 version, which has his death.

frye

Pull a Franklin Richards?

Eternally 6 years old or whatever he is, I think.

Also I'm with Spike on this: not for the "it ages the character" reason but I know the next writer or the writer after that will fuck him up [I get that a lot of y'all dig the Tomasi/Gleasn BatRob but that shit is thoroughly mediocre].

There are some characters that shouldn't be written by other people and Morrison has already made a bunch (Marvel Boy, Quentin Quire) that feel wrong in the hands of others.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Batman Inc. Vol.1 (8 issues + Leviathan Strikes) has very little Damian, while Vol.2 (post new 52, ongoing) is the one that has the character running around more (which eventually leads to his demise and the conclusion of all the stuff Morrison did with Batman through all these years). Vol.2 would definitely fall on essential reading for Damian, but that list is from July 2012 which is the exact month Batman Inc. Vol.2 started being released.

While we're still on the subject of Damian...

Could the new 'Damian: Son of Batman' miniseries be pre-Flashpoint continuity? (Bleeding Cool)

I spoke to Mr.Kubert about upcoming projects at the New York Big Apple Con in 2011. At the time he was really excited about a Damian mini series that he was writing and drawing. He had even mentioned that he was changing his style up a bit for the series. He was very excited to do a project about Damian Wayne. The following year at the New York Comic Con, I asked him about the mini series, but he wasn’t sure when it was going to be released. One has to assume that this new mini series that is coming out, will be the one he did back in 2011.
If I had to guess I'd say no, if anything DC has altered the story so that it fits into New52. I remember reading something from a con panel not long ago, where DC honchos immediately shot down some attendee's suggestion of returning to the old DCU through specials and minis.

Savitar

So is there a reason they can't put him into a Lazarus Pit since that's sorta what they are used for? It seems a far better idea than trying to Frankenstein him.

snorggy

Batman Inc isn't going to have as much Damian as something like Batman and Robin, for example, but he is still one of the main side characters and it "concludes" his story for all intents and purposes for the time being. If you didn't want to get it, I'd suggest at least getting issue #8 of the New 52 version, which has his death.

Batman Inc. Vol.1 (8 issues + Leviathan Strikes) has very little Damian, while Vol.2 (post new 52, ongoing) is the one that has the character running around more (which eventually leads to his demise and the conclusion of all the stuff Morrison did with Batman through all these years). Vol.2 would definitely fall on essential reading for Damian, but that list is from July 2012 which is the exact month Batman Inc. Vol.2 started being released.

Thanks for this. His death was kind of glossed over in Batman & Robin, so I will definitely need to check out Batman Inc.

WanderingWind

I guess you're right. It doesn't seem like he's been around that long, but that's clearly incorrect. That doesn't change the fact that the death of Robin is well-worn territory and for such a fantastic run as Morrison had on the book, it's a lame duck end. Having Damian live would've been the shocking thing here. As it stands the death was expected, boring and will be retcon'd faster than electric Superman.

ReiGun

So is there a reason they can't put him into a Lazarus Pit since that's sorta what they are used for? It seems a far better idea than trying to Frankenstein him.

I don't think Batman knows where to find one.

Plus, isn't there some story about the Pits losing their power or whatever?

Necrovex

Just finished reading the first volume of Invincible. At first, I thought it was all right, albeit, a typical superhero story. But then I got to issue seven, and my world was turned upside down. Kirkman, you bloody genius. I'll continue to read Invincible until I catch up.

Owzers

Just finished reading the first volume of Invincible. At first, I thought it was all right, albeit, a typical superhero story. But then I got to issue seven, and my world was turned upside down. Kirkman, you bloody genius. I'll continue to read Invincible until I catch up.

If you like invincible's first arc you're probably set for at least 50 issues, the series only got dull for me during 51ish for a few issues, then again later for another small stint, but overall it's been consistently fun.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

IMO if you go skipping about in the Morrison run missing chunks out then you're likely to get a bit confused with the story itself. Read the whole thing, start to end and you will have a good time with a complete story. The order is :

Batman and Son
The Black Glove
RIP
Batman & Robin Vol 1-3
Time and the Batman
The Return of Bruce Wayne
Batman Inc

I think it's the only place with the 'proper' Damian, I don't think any other writers quite got the character down. Others will and have argued that Tomasi did but tbh his books were kinda boring and the voice was still off.

If your funds and time are limited, I say just read Batman and Robin 1-3. That right there is god-tier Damian and will make you LOVE the character and his partnership with Dick Grayson in particular.

Hero

On the WatXM cover? People have been speculating that it's
the future son of Wolverine and Mystique. But since Logan would probably rather swim laps in a pool of lava than stick his d*ck in that crazy b*tch again, I'm more inclined to believe it's Dog's, because he's a Logan too and he's actually on her team..
I'm probably wrong, though, because drama drama drama.

When did Wolverine bang her?

When did Wolverine bang her?
...Oh crap, you just reminded me. :O

In Aaron's last run on the Wolverine solo series,
Mystique disguises herself as Yuko and has sex with Logan; it's what breaks up he and Melita, since Mystique videotaped the whole thing and sent it to her. What if blue boy is Aaron's callback to that tryst? Or what if Mystique did it again later, disguised as someone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom