• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2013. Celebrate liberty with the ultimate patriotic superhero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanMT

Neo Member
Always been an Apple guy, but have been reading comics on a first or second generation iPad. I was going to wait until the next generation comes out to buy another, but buying a 32gb (which is minimally required for my ever growing collection) or 64gb might be a bit hard to swing financially. Tell me more about this Nook HD+, $179 is something more realistic for me. Is it hard to read outside like an iPad? What app do you use to read comics on it? Interested in some feedback, doing some more internet research in the meantime!

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Always been an Apple guy, but have been reading comics on a first or second generation iPad. I was going to wait until the next generation comes out to buy another, but buying a 32gb (which is minimally required for my ever growing collection) or 64gb might be a bit hard to swing financially. Tell me more about this Nook HD+, $179 is something more realistic for me. Is it hard to read outside like an iPad? What app do you use to read comics on it? Interested in some feedback, doing some more internet research in the meantime!

Better outside than iPad, but still sucks. Comixology.
Comic Book Rack if you're one of those.

Almost through with the first volume of Scalped and rocked by how good it is. Cinematic and visceral. Intense and gripping. I've been trying to stay away from dark books, but this one, wow. And I disagree with those who have criticized the art. I think it suits the writing well. I appreciate the way the characters are drawn and the framing is great.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Almost through with the first volume of Scalped and rocked by how good it is. Cinematic and visceral. Intense and gripping. I've been trying to stay away from dark books, but this one, wow. And I disagree with those who have criticized the art. I think it suits the writing well. I appreciate the way the characters are drawn and the framing is great.

Yeah I like it a lot too, I'll be reading vol 2 once I finish up Saga. I like the art, it looks dry and dusty and fucked up. It's good stuff.

Owzers

i researched it a little. Nook HD + will let you use up to 32GB of expandable micro sd storage, which the ipad won't. So you can save the $30 and buy the 16GB nook hd + and get the micro sd card for a cheaper extra 32gb, or go 32 and 32 :O

Ipad retina comixology hd issues are 40-50MBs, they fill up an ipad fastttttttttttttttttttttttttttt. I think ipad retinas are the only one that get the hd issues at this time though.

nook hd + has one speaker vent with stereo speakers on the back.

no camera on the nook hd+ if that matters, i like my camera on the ipad 3 but it's not very good.

nook hd+ has a weird hole in the corner....whyyyyyyyyy.

skottie-young-angela-anteprima-600x904-925106.jpg

Angela-por-Milo-Manara.jpg

lova aprint of the manara one

Vyer

Isn't B&N getting out of the Nook business? If I'm going to spend even $200 is rather have something where support isn't so uncertain. Would probably just be better to wait out the Nexus 7 refresh at that price.

If you can get the Nook at closer to $100 it would probably be worth it though.

Owzers

Isn't B&N getting out of the Nook business? If I'm going to spend even $200 is rather have something where support isn't so uncertain. Would probably just be better to wait out the Nexus 7 refresh at that price.

split the difference and buy the 149 version? The problem with the nexus 7 for me is that 9 inch screens >>>>>>>> 7 inch screens if you want to read single pages fullscreen. I don't know if B&N is killing nook, i tried to look it up but couldn't see anything, though this does feel like a firesale. Does the google play store require updates from B&N to continue getting new apps? I'd be more inclined to get the Nexus 10 if it weren't $400 and had comixology hd comics to make use of that screen resolution.

i researched it a little. Nook HD + will let you use up to 32GB of expandable micro sd storage, which the ipad won't. So you can save the $30 and buy the 16GB nook hd + and get the micro sd card for a cheaper extra 32gb, or go 32 and 32 :O

Other Nook HD+ owners have been successful in putting a 64GB microSD card in it. I don't think there's actually a limit. Unless you really need a ton of space, it's better to go with 16GB internal plus 32GB/64GB microSD card.

Look at it this way, $30 for an extra 16GB of internal, or $50 for an extra 64GB microSD card?

Yes, B&N is getting out of the Nook business. I believe the hardware will continue to be sold by a third party, though.

Also, I previously posted in this thread how you can get the HD+ for $99 from OfficeMax this week. It's absolutely worth it at this price, and you can always root it with stock Android if you don't want the B&N interface.

split the difference and buy the 149 version? The problem with the nexus 7 for me is that 9 inch screens >>>>>>>> 7 inch screens if you want to read single pages fullscreen. I don't know if B&N is killing nook, i tried to look it up but couldn't see anything, though this does feel like a firesale. Does the google play store require updates from B&N to continue getting new apps? I'd be more inclined to get the Nexus 10 if it weren't $400 and had comixology hd comics to make use of that screen resolution.

Yes, 9 inch screens are vastly superior to the 7 inch for comic reading, and comics on the HD+ look fantastic.

Owzers

Other Nook HD+ owners have been successful in putting a 64GB microSD card in it. I don't think there's actually a limit. Unless you really need a ton of space, it's better to go with 16GB internal plus 32GB/64GB microSD card.

Look at it this way, $30 for an extra 16GB of internal, or $50 for an extra 64GB microSD card?

Yes, B&N is getting out of the Nook business. I believe the hardware will continue to be sold by a third party, though.

Also, I previously posted in this thread how you can get the HD+ for $99 from OfficeMax this week. It's absolutely worth it at this price, and you can always root it with stock Android if you don't want the B&N interface.

Yes, 9 inch screens are vastly superior to the 7 inch for comic reading, and comics on the HD+ look fantastic.

When B&N gets out of the nook business, will the nook stop receiving updates/ability to download new apps?

When B&N gets out of the nook business, will the nook stop receiving updates/ability to download new apps?

It's got the Google Play store available now, thanks to an update B&N did on it a couple months ago. Most Android apps from Google Play can be installed on it.

Regarding updates to the B&N interface, I'd assume that there likely will not be any more, or if there are, they won't be substantial. But realistically, I don't think there's anything that needs to be done to it. As long as you have access to the Google Play store, you'll have access to most new apps (some limitations due to no GPS in the HD+, for example).

This isn't like the HP Touchpad, where the thing really had to be rooted and replaced with Android to make it continually relevant in the tablet marketplace. The Nook HD+ will be fine for the foreseeable future. And if you want to replace it in a year with the "next big thing," well, it only cost you $99. There's practically no risk with it. And it's absolutely brilliant for reading comics.

I was off on this. $50 is the retail price for a 64GB card. Amazon Warehouse Deals currently has some SanDisk 64GB cards for $34. When you factor in likely paying tax on the $30 HD+ upgrade to the 32GB internal memory, it's almost the exact same cost. So it's essentially $34 for 64GB, or $34 for 16GB. Kind of an easy choice.

EDIT: And while looking for a card on Amazon Warehouse Deals, I actually bested the $34 price and found a 64GB microSD card for $21.46. I ordered the last one, but regardless, the deals are out there for microSD.

I was just getting interested in this whole digital comics deal, looking up devices etc. when i noticed: you can't read ComiXology comics OFFLINE! that right? :(

If so what other options do i have?

I was just getting interested in this whole digital comics deal, looking up devices etc. when i noticed: you can't read ComiXology comics OFFLINE! that right? :(

Wait for services that allow DRM downloads like Image seems intent on doing in the future. Also, find legal grey areas of "backing up" your collection. IfyouknowwhatImean.gif

Owzers

You can read comics offline that you've downloaded from comixology.

Now for my question, can you download comixology issues directly to a micro sd card on the nook hd+?

Now for my question, can you download comixology issues directly to a micro sd card on the nook hd+?

Don't know. I don't have a microSD card in my HD+ yet. I don't see an option to change the download location within the comixology app, though. However, you might be able to transfer the comixology app to the sd card itself, and then I'd assume the downloads would go to the same location.

Regardless, 16GB is a good amount of space, especially if can load your other content on the microSD card.

New Nook HD+ owner here, got the 16GB model and put a 32GB card in that I picked up on a Black Friday sale. Still getting the thing set the way I like but so far I'm loving it; the screen is really sharp and vibrant.

Owzers

New Nook HD+ owner here, got the 16GB model and put a 32GB card in that I picked up on a Black Friday sale. Still getting the thing set the way I like but so far I'm loving it; the screen is really sharp and vibrant.

heyyyyyyy can you check to see if you can download comixology issues to the micro sd card? Or transfer the app to the card as noted above?

edit: I emailed comixology and they got back to me saying they don't support external storage :O

huh... So theoretically i could have this ap on my tablet, buy/download comics from comixology and download em onto the tablet, then go offline and read em?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I had the Play Store and Aptoide several months before the Play Store was added. Worst case if support is dropped is having to root, which is really easy and just requires an SD card and a PC with SD reader.

I think ipad retinas are the only one that get the hd issues at this time though..

They are, which is why I spend a lot of time on file sharing sites downloading stuff I already own for use in CBR.
I don't know for sure if you can save Comixology stuff to SD. I don't think so, but I bought the 32GB and put music and video on SD so I haven't had to deal with it yet.

frye

Kot off Suicide Squad, Johns seemingly off JLA, Mozz off Inc, Kuuder off Superman (and going into a crossover), Batman 21 going into full-on Scott Snyder boresville in the second half...

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

yeah, fuck it, i'm done with dc for the near future.

Kot off Suicide Squad, Johns seemingly off JLA, Mozz off Inc, Kuuder off Superman (and going into a crossover), Batman 21 going into full-on Scott Snyder boresville in the second half...

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Supposedly, this is only for the Forever Evil tie-ins.

Supposedly.

ElNarez

Banned
I can't be done with DC, because I still kinda like the prospect of a Matt Kindt Suicide Squad, but man, there are some books I was considering giving a chance that I'm going to unceremoniously drop because FUCK THIS.

heyyyyyyy can you check to see if you can download comixology issues to the micro sd card? Or transfer the app to the card as noted above?

edit: I emailed comixology and they got back to me saying they don't support external storage :O
Yeah, they don't allow it. One of the first things I checked after downloading the app, and couldn't see a way to do it.

Also, the hole in the corner isn't a big deal. Really.

In DC news, Rich has been going on about a bombshell in this week's Justice League #22 for the last couple of days. It seems that "Trinity War" is indeed starting off with the death of a hero, but what they didn't tell you is that
Superman is the one doing the killing, after being mind-controlled. An out-of-control Superman threatening the lives of everyone around him? Now why does that sound familiar?

Wool

In DC news, Rich has been going on about a bombshell in this week's Justice League #22 for the last couple of days. It seems that "Trinity War" is indeed starting off with the death of a hero, but what they didn't tell you is that
Superman is the one doing the killing, after being mind-controlled. An out-of-control Superman threatening the lives of everyone around him? Now why does that sound familiar?

IF I WENT CRAZY THEN WOULD YOU STILL CALL ME SUPERMAN

ElNarez

Banned
But seriously, how the fuck does most of DC's editorial staff still have a goddamn job. How does it happen? How many more of those horror stories it's gonna take before they finally do the right thing? Fuck man, you can't be satisfied with numbers that shitty.

TAJ

Even if Comixology adds HD to Android I'll probably still use Comic Rack for some of my reading just so I can offload to SD.

While we obviously don't know why Kot is off Suicide Squad, I do wonder if DC is being reactionary to the fact that Kot getting the book and two issues later has only seen the numbers continue to drop. This leads me to wonder if they are hoping that Matt Kindt (who has been gaining attention lately) will bump its numbers.

Also: Impressive numbers for Superman Unchained, Superman/Batman and a sizeable increase for Batman from 20 to 21. Seems, at least for the first issue, people are interested in Zero Year.

Batman 20 129,039
Batman 21 142,088

Well, the only question remaining is whether to drop Suicide Squad now or ride out Kots run. What are y'all gonna do?

I've never read a Justice League comic in my life, but I think I'll hop on for Kindt's Martian Manhunter story. It's a character I've always liked and been interested in, though most of what I know of him comes from Justice League Unlimited.

tim1138

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Johns is only off JLA for the duration of Forever Evil, during that time Kindt is doing a MMH arc. Moz isn't off Inc, the book us ending. Dude told his story and it ends this month.

ElNarez

Banned
Well, the only question remaining is whether to drop Suicide Squad now or ride out Kots run. What are y'all gonna do?

I'm gonna keep on keeping on because Kindt is very good, but he gets One Issue, and if my socks aren't blown off I drop this book.

While we obviously don't know why Kot is off Suicide Squad, I do wonder if DC is being reactionary to the fact that Kot getting the book and two issues later has only seen the numbers continue to drop. This leads me to wonder if they are hoping that Matt Kindt (who has been gaining attention lately) will bump its numbers.

That cannot be true for the simple reason that they have kept teams on worse selling books for far longer.

I like the stuff from DC that ive read so far. I dont understand all the hate they seem to get.

Reaction to the New 52 (There are some people who didn't like the reboot and wish the old DCU was still around). Reaction to a history of (seeming) editorial influence upon creative teams. It's not something you may notice if you are just reading titles, but if you are an enthusiast (and most of us in this thread are) you will begin to see stories like this again and again.

In some cases even if a book continues to be good, there is ill will about what "could have been".

AFAIK, creative changes in themselves (as opposed to heavily hyped creative changes, or creative changes closely tied to a heavily hyped event/arc in another book) rarely result in any notable change in a book's sales trajectory, let alone an actual increase in sales.

frye

Johns is only off JLA for the duration of Forever Evil, during that time Kindt is doing a MMH arc. Moz isn't off Inc, the book us ending. Dude told his story and it ends this month.

Morrison is "off" Inc in that he's not writing it anymore (i.e. I won't be reading anymore). You've got a point about Johns but him co-writing JLA with Lemire during Trinity War and stepping off for all of Forever Evil made me a bit wary.

e: basically my point was all the books I (kinda) dug in the last few months are all of a sudden pretty goddamn easy to drop

I like the stuff from DC that ive read so far. I dont understand all the hate they seem to get.

My only problem is editors changing writers storylines and good writers abandoning books and stories due to problems with editorial. I think it's a crime that Cornell couldn't continue demon knights and James Robinson is walking away from Earth 2 a book. To me it's like taking gaiman off of Sandman or Morrison off batman in the middle of his story.

I was actually very excited and thrilled when the new 52 started but I forgot that what ruined the post crisis DC was dumbass management decisions that are happening all over again.

ElNarez

Banned

Yeah, the biggest bummer isn't getting rid of old continuity because fuck that shit it literally doesn't matter and if you're still crying about Stephanie Brown you're a huge fucking baby and I laugh at you.

The big issue is that ever since this edict, DC have acted like tremendous turds towards their creatives, changing their minds almost on a daily basis on what direction any given character is supposed to head towards. Kot leaving Suicide Squad is pretty shitty, but some writers have even been kicked off books without having published a single issue, like for example Jim Zub, who was supposed to take over Birds of Prey, or Joshua Hale Fialkov, who was taking over Green Lantern Corps. Every time, it's the same story of an agreement being made with DC's editorial staff, and then DC proceeding to piss all over said agreement. Add to that fiascos like Before Watchmen, and already DC doesn't have the best of reputations.

But the worst fact of this cornucopia of shitty facts is that this is not a new story. It has been happening for a while. And the only ones who had to pay for DC's dwindling sales are the creators, and not the actual people in charge and it's fucked but also it's way inside baseball so if it doesn't matter to you please, do keep on reading Batman because that's still good.

whateverdood!

I see your Steph/Supergirl and raise you a Superior Peegee / Atlee

God damnit. That 12 issue Amanda Connor run of Power Girl was stupid fun and amazing. It really didn't have any direction which ultimately is probably what "killed it", but for what it was, it was so much fun. I wasn't getting alot of comics at the time, but Power Girl was one of them. F'ing LOVE Amanda Connor's art.

Is she doing anything besides covers at the moment?

Tizoc

^LET US HAVE BOTH!

I like how all the Bat-chicks(Stephanie Brown, Babs, Cain, Batwoman) have just mysteriously vanished in Batman Inc

DC couldn't fit them into their 5 year continuity =V

Really though EVERYTHING that occurs within the DC-verse (Excluding CoIE and Infinite Crisis, prob.) would take place in 10-15 years timespan.
Likewise for Marvel IMO.

Also, more StephenieXKara fanart plz~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom