• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2013. Celebrate liberty with the ultimate patriotic superhero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say im an ethusiast but a new one. I dont know this old DCU. I guess part of me doesnt want to anyway. Im new, might aswell enjoy whats in front of me.

I would say im an ethusiast but a new one. I dont know this old DCU. I guess part of me doesnt want to anyway. Im new, might aswell enjoy whats in front of me.

I wouldn't let that stop you from going back and enjoying old stories. The DCU has been rebooted, hard or soft, several times since its inception. At this point it is just part of the experience. There are stories that are going to be timeless, irregardless of what the current continuity is.

]matt kindt suicide swuad sounds intresting

also rafa DC is hiding the young justice
"From future star Rafa=FedKilla( real name redcated) and fan favorite artist Francis Manapul comes 'Legendary Times.' Spinning out of Spetember Forever Evil, when the heroes are gone, who remains? Fresh out of the water Lagoon Boy leads a team of Aztek, Zachary Zatara, Static, Son of Vulcan, Tula and the Tattooed Kid. Their mentors may have taught them everything but they'll learn the toughest lesson of all...how to be a hero.

Yeah, the biggest bummer isn't getting rid of old continuity because fuck that shit it literally doesn't matter and if you're still crying about Stephanie Brown you're a huge fucking baby and I laugh at you.

I'm not gonna talk about SB specifically, but some of the choices DC has made in recent years with their female characters is disheartening. I'm still not over Renee Montoya being virtually erased from the Nu52 DCU. And I'm not Latina but imagine if you were a Latina comic fan. Not a whole lot of characters represent you so it would be kind of shitty when that happened, I would think. The same way that many people, including people who are not able-bodied, were saddened when they took Barbara Gordon out of her wheelchair. Sure, it's good to know that those old stories exist and will always still be out there for people to read. And I give big props to DC for having a lesbian hero in Batwoman with her own book, no less. That matters a lot to me, personally. But it also helps me understand how others would feel if a character that mattered to them was taken away like that.

It's ok to have feelings about things, is my point. We read this stuff in the first place because of feelings. Ever if the feelings are "Heh, cool."

arkon

"From future star Rafa=FedKilla( real name redcated) and fan favorite artist Francis Manapul comes 'Legendary Times.' Spinning out of Spetember Forever Evil, when the heroes are gone, who remains? Fresh out of the water Lagoon Boy leads a team of Aztek, Zachary Zatara, Static, Son of Vulcan, Tula and the Tattooed Kid. Their mentors may have taught them everything but they'll learn the toughest lesson of all...how to be a hero.

I would buy this book.

I wouldn't let that stop you from going back and enjoying old stories. The DCU has been rebooted, hard or soft, several times since its inception. At this point it is just part of the experience. There are stories that are going to be timeless, irregardless of what the current continuity is.

Oh I have. Reading Gotham Central now. Famous Bat books. Ordered Johns run on Teen Titans. Going to get that Teen Titans book you recommended earlier.

tim1138

I would buy this.

-e- someone submit this to Rich as an anonymous tip and see if he posts it.

No Kamandi? Really? GTFO.

I'm not gonna talk about SB specifically, but some of the choices DC has made in recent years with their female characters is disheartening. I'm still not over Renee Montoya being virtually erased from the Nu52 DCU. And I'm not Latina but imagine if you were a Latina comic fan. Not a whole lot of characters represent you so it would be kind of shitty when that happened, I would think. The same way that many people, including people who are not able-bodied, were saddened when they took Barbara Gordon out of her wheelchair. Sure, it's good to know that those old stories exist and will always still be out there for people to read. And I give big props to DC for having a lesbian hero in Batwoman with her own book, no less. That matters a lot to me, personally. But it also helps me understand how others would feel if a character that mattered to them was taken away like that.

It's ok to have feelings about things, is my point. We read this stuff in the first place because of feelings. Ever if the feelings are "Heh, cool."

Yeah I don't know what is up with Renee Montoya. I mean, there was that hint in one of the early issues of Batwoman, so it is hard to tell if it was editorial (which one would assume would want no mention at all if she was "blacklisted") or not.

ZoddGutts

I see your Steph/Supergirl and raise you a Superior Peegee / Atlee

God damnit. That 12 issue Amanda Connor run of Power Girl was stupid fun and amazing. It really didn't have any direction which ultimately is probably what "killed it", but for what it was, it was so much fun. I wasn't getting alot of comics at the time, but Power Girl was one of them. F'ing LOVE Amanda Connor's art.

Is she doing anything besides covers at the moment?

Shame DC turn that Power Girl series into another serious comic book. Which is one big problem I have with DC everything has to be gritty and serious especially post DCNU. Meanwhile at Marvel has Deadpool and Hawkeye. Also going from Steph Brown to Barbara was a huge step down. As use to be a big DC fan but I've been enjoying more Marvel books at the moment. Daredevil currently my favorite comic right now. The DCNU stuff has been mostly a miss for me.

tim1138

No Kamandi? Really? GTFO.

Yeah I don't know what is up with Renee Montoya. I mean, there was that hint in one of the early issues of Batwoman, so it is hard to tell if it was editorial (which one would assume would want no mention at all if she was "blacklisted") or not.

Kamandi is in the future, he'll be introduced later when the team travels through time to save the multiverse. Duh.

Seems pretty obvious to me what's happened to her
(died in the line of duty) but I hope I'm wrong.
And I hope she comes back somehow. I'd be so. stoked.

Renee was cool, I really liked her teamup thing with Huntress a lot in the Batwoman/Detective comics backups

I see your Steph/Supergirl and raise you a Superior Peegee / Atlee

Is she doing anything besides covers at the moment?
I liked them too, that book was awesome.

^LET US HAVE BOTH!

DC couldn't fit them into their 5 year continuity =V

Really though EVERYTHING that occurs within the DC-verse (Excluding CoIE and Infinite Crisis, prob.) would take place in 10-15 years timespan.
Likewise for Marvel IMO.

Also, more StephenieXKara fanart plz~

lololol

Too many DC books try to be dark and they just fail. Artwise, too, it's like there's an in-house style that's adhered to for a majority of the books. There's just a lot of passable and mediocre stuff.

Seems pretty obvious to me what's happened to her
(died in the line of duty) but I hope I'm wrong.
And I hope she comes back somehow. I'd be so. stoked.

I felt people looked way too much into this, especially since JHW himself even said when it came out that she wasn't dead. That was then, though, they could've easily changed plans because DC just loves that shit. If she was killed off off-panel before anything, that'd be lame as hell, not to mention totally a waste.

i'd buy it

Renee was cool, I really liked her teamup thing with Huntress a lot in the Batwoman/Detective comics backups

Hmm, I didn't know about these. I was gonna get the 52 trades or omni after reading the last Gotham Central book, hoping it compiled the rest of her story. But I guess this Huntress teamup is something I'd still be missing.

Did anybody try out Wolverine: Japan's Most Wanted yet? It came out today. What do you all think of the 2.99 price?

I might pick it up later today

wDrj4dC.jpg

KGRfMPv.jpg

d2Rlm9W.jpg

Owzers

to be honest i didn't even give it serious consideration because it's 2.99 and looks like a random wolverine book.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Ales Kot is officially OFF Suicide Squad

http://www.newsarama.com/18311-ales-kot-confirms-suicide-squad-departure.html

At this point its just Johns, Kindt, Lemire, Snyder, and Lobdell writing the 52 by themselves

At least through October Snyder's actually writing less than Kindt, Fawkes, and Soule right now. Those guys all have 3 books that month, Soule hits 4 including the Swamp Thing annual.

DC needs to settle into having a good stable batch of talent on books for solid runs with no one super overworked. But who am I kidding, they'll keep cycling some of these new recruits around every month wherever they're 'needed'.

Wood more or less confirms that his Ultimate X-Men run is ending with the World War X arc:

Brian Wood said:
The stories I've written for this title are a snapshot of the overall, a relatively brief chapter and dealing with a very small set of characters within the larger Ultimate X-Men world. I don't doubt that a future writer will take things in a different way, and I would agree with anyone who thinks it's probably time to do so. The end of my "World War X" arc does allow for this, it does wrap up the last 22 issues of the book in a way that leaves the future of the X-Men wide open and with a hopeful tone.

He doesn't, of course, address whether or not the series is ending. I'd be very surprised if it (and Ultimates) aren't given their sales and Hunger, but we should find out fairly soon with SDCC coming up.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

thank you. i would knock people down to pick this up

Hmm, I didn't know about these. I was gonna get the 52 trades or omni after reading the last Gotham Central book, hoping it compiled the rest of her story. But I guess this Huntress teamup is something I'd still be missing.

the trade The Question: Pipeline has it all together

You might also want The Question: Five Books of Blood and Final Crisis Revelations too if you don't have them. There was a Blackest Night issue too, lol. The Question # 37

I mean if you were going for Montoya stuff(and don't have it), and Greg Rucka did all of that too.

the trade The Question: Pipeline has it all together

You might also want The Question: Five Books of Blood and Final Crisis Revelations too if you don't have them. There was a Blackest Night issue too, lol. The Question # 37

I mean if you were going for Montoya stuff(and don't have it), and Greg Rucka did all of that too.

Holy crap. Ok. I knew there was a lot of Renee stuff from looking at Wikipedia. If I get this lot then I don't need 52? 'Cause I was really only interested in that because I read on this thread that it continues the story from Gotham Central.

Holy crap. Ok. I knew there was a lot of Renee stuff from looking at Wikipedia. If I get this lot then I don't need 52? 'Cause I was really only interested in that because I read on this thread that it continues the story from Gotham Central.

yea that is after Gotham Central, I still haven't read all of it but yea you'd probably want 52 next, sorry

I know Orson Scott Card wrote Ultimate Iron Man 2, but I didn't know that the little shit Obadiah Stane was designed after him.

Despite the fact that Card gets shit on all the time for his bigotry, I still say Ender's Game (and the direct sequel, Ender in Exile) is some of the best sci-fi I've ever read.

tim1138

Basic premise, but it makes sense, the idea of the JLA vs Justice League has been building from the start. So it just takes a spark to light the powder keg. Really curious what JLD's part is going to be though.

My guess is Constantine is going to try and get ahold of Pandora's box. He's also been actively recruiting the Phantom Stranger in that book, so maybe JLD gets pulled into it unwillingly.

Quake1028

List!

DARK HORSE COMICS
STAR WARS #7
X #3

DC COMICS
ASTRO CITY #2
BATMAN #22
SUPERMAN UNCHAINED #2

IMAGE COMICS
EAST OF WEST #4

MARVEL COMICS
DAREDEVIL #28
FEARLESS DEFENDERS #6
HAWKEYE #12
INDESTRUCTIBLE HULK #10
MARVELS THOR DARK WORLD PRELUDE #2
SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #13
UNCANNY X-MEN #8
YOUNG AVENGERS #7

akira28

Despite the fact that Card gets shit on all the time for his bigotry, I still say Ender's Game (and the direct sequel, Ender in Exile) is some of the best sci-fi I've ever read.

He's a talented man. I just happened to be flipping through some olds the other day, and happened to run into that picture of Orson in a news article. And it hit me, that they look soo much alike. And that kid was the worst of the worst. It would entertain me greatly to learn that he was having fun with that as he was writing it. And it would also entertain me to find that it was a prank on him because he was a dick. Either or, for me.

Has anybody read the Ender's Game comics from Marvel? I flipped through one and thought it looked really interesting.

Heard good things, but never read them myself. I can't imagine they'd be anything but reader's digest versions (albeit very pretty ones) of the novels. Though once you get into Speaker of the Dead and Xenocide, the books started sucking balls anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom