• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2013. Celebrate liberty with the ultimate patriotic superhero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deep down, Didio knows Countdown is trash, like JoeQ knows OMD was garbage as fuck, but you gotta save face when you put your name on something that big

Just look at his list

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=37814

Infinitely proud of this masterful accomplishment, and while we're on it, let me set record straight. I have never been more proud of what we accomplished on this series, after all, it was originally my idea, I assembled the writing and art teams, created the production method, sold the idea inside and outside the company, and cleared the way for the creators to take charge of the book. Of course there were bumps along the ways (with this much creative power, how couldn't there be?) but to say I hated it is just plain silly.

zeeaykay

I just finished Uncanny X-Force. Damn, outside of the whole "Otherworld" arc, this was a great book. One of the few things that stuck out to me at the end was the "evil" mutants literally calling themselves "The Brotherhood of Evil Mutants". I understand comic throwbacks but it really hurt the narrative, I thought. Especially when in one of the issues Daken talks about how there are no heroes and vililans. And he righteously is in a group of "Evil Mutants". I'm sure there's some irony in there or something, but it just pulled me out of the story a bit and made it hard to believe (I know, it's a comic book). Anyone else have that issue?

I also thought the whole Otherworld story arc was a complete waste of time. It really killed the momentum for me. Maybe it was just the setting or something but I really wasn't feeling that. As soon as "Final Execution" started I was feeling it again. I loved that how that arc was 10 issues long.

I read the first three issues of the new Uncanny X-Force, thought it was pretty decent, but then stopped picking it up when I started reading the new one. I want to get caught up as I'm really intrigued by the Fantomex/Betty storyline. Are you guys enjoying it?

I just finished Uncanny X-Force. Damn, outside of the whole "Otherworld" arc, this was a great book. One of the few things that stuck out to me at the end was the "evil" mutants literally calling themselves "The Brotherhood of Evil Mutants". I understand comic throwbacks but it really hurt the narrative, I thought. Especially when in one of the issues Daken talks about how there are no heroes and vililans. And he righteously is in a group of "Evil Mutants". I'm sure there's some irony in there or something, but it just pulled me out of the story a bit and made it hard to believe (I know, it's a comic book). Anyone else have that issue?

I also thought the whole Otherworld story arc was a complete waste of time. It really killed the momentum for me. Maybe it was just the setting or something but I really wasn't feeling that. As soon as "Final Execution" started I was feeling it again. I loved that how that arc was 10 issues long.

I read the first three issues of the new Uncanny X-Force, thought it was pretty decent, but then stopped picking it up when I started reading the new one. I want to get caught up as I'm really intrigued by the Fantomex/Betty storyline. Are you guys enjoying it?

The Otherworld arc was trash and completely out of place. Like you said, killed all momentum coming out of Dark Angel Saga. I've seen Tocchini draw well on other books but here it looked like smeared dog turd. Remove that arc and Uncanny X-force is a fantastic run.

Mumei

I agree that Absolute collections are always bad at collecting the right issues, for instance, not collecting return of bruce wayne in Absolute Batman and Robin despite the ending to Batman and Robin directly coming off Return of Bruce Wayne.

It really disappointed me to learn about these issues (and not nearly enough extras) after getting the Absolute editions of Sandman which were fantastic. I just expected they'd maintain that level for other releases. Oh well.

Owzers

It really disappointed me to learn about these issues (and not nearly enough extras) after getting the Absolute editions of Sandman which were fantastic. I just expected they'd maintain that level for other releases. Oh well.

initially Abs Final Crisis wasn't going to contain the batman issues and Blackest Night wasn't going to have the GL stuff, but eventually DC changed their mind and added them. It's disappointing that initially an absolute edition isn't even planned well.

i can't decide if i want to spend the $11 to fill my WATXM digital collection with the issues that didn't come with codes...they were great but a part of my brain says i don't care about the current issues so don't bother rebuying the past.

Owzers

If you buy only one Absolute edition, it should be Absolute New Frontier

right now i've bought new:

Blackest Night
Batman Long Halloween
All Star Superman - first one i bought Xo
Planetary 1 and 2
Promethea 1-3 ( i will probably regret this)
Sinestro Corps War
Final Crisis
New Frontier

used on the cheap:

Death
Sandman vol 2 and 3
Kingdom Come
Justice

i would have considered Batman and Robin had it had ROBW so i could sell my OHCs, and i skipped Top Ten since i tracked down the trades.

It's very rare an Absolute intrigues me anymore, stuff like Luthor/Joker and Superman Batman have no appeal at all and the more current events i didn't enjoy either. I'm not buying an Absolute Flashpoint Xo I don't think an Absolute Batman Inc is out of the question...but it won't be for many years down the road.

frye

Absolutes are a great format, but there's a ton of chaff in the lineup. DC should up their regular omnibus game if they're gonna chuck whatever the fuck out there.

Owzers

Absolutes are a great format, but there's a ton of chaff in the lineup. DC should up their regular omnibus game if they're gonna chuck whatever the fuck out there.

i hope they start up oversized hardcovers again like they did for Batman and Robin/Batwoman Elegy...and not much else. They even went from a batman inc vol 1 OHC to a standard hc edition of the new 52 revamp. Maybe an absolute court of owls is upcoming? I'd rather have that in an OHC, if at all. It's going to be a sad comics day when they announce Absolute War of the Green Lanterns.

I read 2 or 3 of the new Uncanny X-force books and I totally hated it but Otherworld didn't bother me like it seems it did everyone else so I might be wierd.

Acid08

Banned
i hope they start up oversized hardcovers again like they did for Batman and Robin/Batwoman Elegy...and not much else. They even went from a batman inc vol 1 OHC to a standard hc edition of the new 52 revamp. Maybe an absolute court of owls is upcoming? I'd rather have that in an OHC, if at all. It's going to be a sad comics day when they announce Absolute War of the Green Lanterns.
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait there's a Batwoman Elegy OHC??????

List!

Batman/Superman #2
Catwoman #22
Constatine #5
Green Team #3
JLD #22

Lazarus #2

Hawkeye Annual #1
Superior Spidey #14
Superior Spidey Team up #1

List time, yeah!

Massive #14
Unwritten #51
Thumbprint #2
Lazarus #2
Hawkeye Annual 1
Hunger #1
Journey Into Mystery #654
Wolverine & The X-Men #33

Pretty light week, for which I am thankful.

Man, if Hunger is actually about the end of the Ultimate universe (again), I really hope they bring Ultimate Jean Grey over to 616.

Star Wars Legacy #5

All Star Western #22
Aquaman #22
Batman Superman #2
Justice League Dark #22
Larfleeze #2

Journey into Mystery #654
New Avengers #8
Superior Spiderman #14
Uncanny Avengers #10
Wolverine and the Xmen #33

I liked the Otherworld stuff because Uncanny X-Force is really about Psylocke and it was really good for her development. There was also a real feeling of menace and mysticism in those issues which I thought was a nice break from what was happening normal. I thought it worked well as an interlude. I think it especially didn't bother me pacing wise because I was reading it one book a month and not trade reading it.

For the record, the new Uncanny X-Force started off really slow but it's been gradually getting better and better. It's unforgivable how many issues it's taken to get to this point, and I'm not sure the whole team teased in issue one is even really running on all cylinders yet.

List

Army of Darkness vs Hack/Slash #1
Dark Horse Presents #26
Lazarus #2
Lobster Johnson Scent of Lotus #1
Rocketeer Spirit Pulp Friction #1

Also gonna grab the new Previews mag #299.

ReiGun

Oh is it list time already?

Aquaman 22
Batman/Superman 2
Justice League Dark #22
Lazarus #2
Captain America #9
Hawkeye Annual #1
New Avengers #8

List!
Captain America #9
Hawkeye Annual #1
New Avengers #8
Superior Spider-Man #14
Uncanny Avengers #10
Wolverine and the X-Men #33
Young Avengers #8

Lack of Young Avengers on list so far -_-
Also I'll probably pick up all three issues of Trinity War at the end of the month.

tm24

Xfactor is ending soon. I dont sing its praises enough, but the series has been there since the first day i started buying books. I just don't know what i'll do without it anymore

Also, was talking to a friend today and the question came up if anyone has created a successful comic book character for Marvel or DC in the last 20 years. the only one we could really think of was Harley Quinn and that was stretching it

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Xfactor is ending soon. I dont sing its praises enough, but the series has been there since the first day i started buying books. I just don't know what i'll do without it anymore

Also, was talking to a friend today and the question came up if anyone has created a successful comic book character for Marvel or DC in the last 20 years. the only one we could really think of was Harley Quinn and that was stretching it

Talon is doing well, if it has staying power remains to be seen.

Damian is the obvious answer though.

Vibranium

Banned
List I guess for the hell of it:

Captain America #9: I'm in the minority, but I hope in future issues after Dimension Z
Steve and Sharon split, I've never been a huge fan of her, since her movie role is fairly small for TWS maybe Remender will be allowed to do it. I want to see Cap date another hero, loved him with Diamondback and Bernie.

New Avengers #8
Hawkeye Annual #1
Superior Spiderman Team Up #1 and SS #14
Lazarus #2

Here's my Superior Spider-List:

Justice League Dark #22
Larfleeze #2
The Flash #22
Scarlet Spider #19
Journey into Mystery #654
Superior Spider-Man #14
Superior Spider-Man Team-Up #1

Messi

Man, I really dislike the cover of the second volume of saga. Ugh... the back is much nicer. Anyway hope the stuffs inside are good.

Tenck

Man, I really dislike the cover of the second volume of saga. Ugh... the back is much nicer. Anyway hope the stuffs inside are good.

Hmm, I like it. Even though Marko killing something doesn't really bode well with his pacifist personality, it sets you up for the dark story (which lets be honest it is).

On a side note, I started reading Saga on my trip to California. Loved every second of it!

Honestly didn't expect
The Will to jump into a grim situation and save Lying Cat.

frye

I don't understand this post. I only know the character from the cartoon of that title and the first issue of the terrible new 52 series. what do you mean?

No one actually calls him Static Shock in-universe (that's just the name of the cartoon I think)

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I don't understand this post. I only know the character from the cartoon of that title and the first issue of the terrible new 52 series. what do you mean?

the characters name is static. his show was called static shock. he was never called static shock in the series, so when someone calls him static shock, it makes think that they are aware of the character, but not familiar with the character enough to know that static shock isnt his name.

tim1138

Geoff Johns created all those new Lantern Corps and most of their respective heavy hitters (Larfleeze, Atrocitus, Walker, et al).

List!

Aquaman #22
The Flash #22
Green Team #3
Guardians of the Galaxy #5
Justice League Dark #22
Manhattan Projects #13

That's what happens this November in the opening arc of the new ongoing series "Amazing X-Men" by writer Jason Aaron and artist Ed McGuinness.

MY
GOD

EDIT:

It's about that same group of instructors and teacher from the Jean Grey School, but it's what they're up to outside of the school. So it's them out on adventures, being X-Men and fighting to protect a world that fears and hates them. It's kind of the other side of the coin from "Wolverine & the X-Men."

TEARS OF JOY

EDIT II:

Hastings then announced his new book, “Longshot Saves The Marvel Universe,” wherein Longshot, “Gets very lucky,” Hasting said to audience laughter. With artist Jacopo Camagni the first issue will be out in November.

DAMN. YOU SNOOZE YOU LOSE.

Amazing X-Men sounds pretty good, but I wish that Marvel would stop pretending that they have plans for long runs from artists that clearly can't handle a monthly book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom