• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2014. Longshot and Domino are hogging all the four-leaf clovers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boogiepop

My Immortal Iron Fist arrived today (along with my Luigi's Mansion figure from Club Nintendo, so double yay)! About to sit down and read it! And then presumably wait semi-annoyed for the other half of the collection to come out in June or whenever.

there was a thread on gaf I saw this morning about budgeting and stuff.

if there's one thing that destroys budgets, it's comixology.

I'm struggling not to spend $18 on the whole Avengers Arena

>_<

it's ok, it'll be on sale again in a year,

I have plenty backlog to read in the meantime!

Dude I've got some stuff coming in and lets just say I won't being doing anything extra for the next three months :|

Maybe I'll go see Cap 2

Toa TAK

Banned
Yo, when the hell is Frank Miller's "Xerxes" supposed to come out? Finally got around to reading "300" which was great. I know it's not supposed to be out in a few months, but WHEN?

frye

Yo, when the hell is Frank Miller's "Xerxes" supposed to come out? Finally got around to reading "300" which was great. I know it's not supposed to be out in a few months, but WHEN?

Xerxes got a preview in the first issue of the new Dark Horse Presents in 2011 and we haven't heard anything about it since other than he's still only got 2 issues in the can right now outta 5, so~

Toa TAK

Banned
Xerxes got a preview in the first issue of the new Dark Horse Presents in 2011 and we haven't heard anything about it since other than he's still only got 2 issues in the can right now outta 5, so~

Son of a female dinosaur. That sucks.

Dysun

I just read the whole Uncanny Avengers run, holy shit. Remender is killing it just like with Uncanny X-Force.

He cares not for Hickman books

Amazing X-Men #6 will have art by Cameron Stewart, not the solicited Ed McGuinness.

As well as the solicited Mark Waid and Javier Rodrigue, Daredevil #1.50 will also have new stories by Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev as well as Karl Kesel.

Some changes

Unai

I wish so much there was a way to backup comixology stuff, even if I still needed the app to read them. I spend a lot of money on Steam, but only because I know the worse thing that can happen is that I'll have to use a crack or something. I problably spend more than $1000 a year worth of comic books. I don't want to loose everything.

Or do you guys think it is likely they'll find a way to use the software if comixology close the doors?

Unai

Comixology has zero reason to let people have DRM free copies of their files.

I'm not really asking for DRM free. With the andoid app I can download them and read the offline, which is great! But if I have a massive collection, I can't backup them in a HDD or somewhere else. So if I can not acess comixlogy's servers, for example if they close the doors, I'll only have the books that are already downloaded in my device. If I buy a new one or format it, there goes all my money.

Edit: Yeah, I guess DRM free is exactly what I'm asking.

I'm not really asking for DRM free. With the andoid app I can download them and read the offline, which is great! But if I have a massive collection, I can't backup them in a HDD or somewhere else. So if I can not acess comixlogy's servers, for example if they close the doors, I'll only have the books that are already downloaded in my device. If I buy a new one or format it, there goes all my money.

Right, but you can't really back them up in a way that could survive Comixology disappearing off the face of the Earth tomorrow that isn't DRM free and if they are DRM free they can be easily pirated. Publishers fear that.

Unai

Yeah, I edited my post.

So, I only have two options I guess: Import trade paperbacks and hardcovers from USA (expensive, DRM free), or buy from comixology (cheaper, no DRM free).

Yeah, I edited my post.

So, I only have two options I guess: Import trade paperbacks and hardcovers from USA (expensive, DRM free), or buy from comixology (cheaper, no DRM free).

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it. The chances of Comixology going away is extremely low. You'd be more likely to lose your paper collection to theft or a fire.

My suggestion? Stick with it but begin to collect trades of your prized comic runs, to maintain a physical presence of what's particularly special to you.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Edit: Yeah, I guess DRM free is exactly what I'm asking.

Genuine question - how many of these comics do you think you'll ever have time to re-read? I bet it's less than 1%.

Your paranoia is rooted in the 20th century concept of limited entertainment options :p

edit: you could just screenshot all the pages, download the images and then put them in CBR files? Or tbh, I don't think anyone here would hold it against you if you torrented backup copies of your prized runs. I reread No Man's Land thanks to a dodgy torrent, really could not be arsed to get all those issues out again (forgive me padre for I have sinned)

tim1138

Genuine question - how many of these comics do you think you'll ever have time to re-read? I bet it's less than 1%.

Your paranoia is rooted in the 20th century concept of limited entertainment options :p

edit: you could just screenshot all the pages, download the images and then put them in CBR files? Or tbh, I don't think anyone here would hold it against you if you torrented backup copies of your prized runs. I reread No Man's Land thanks to a dodgy torrent, really could not be arsed to get all those issues out again (forgive me padre for I have sinned)

I have this discussion with a friend who is relatively new to the hobby like every other month. I think people get so tied to the idea of building a collection they don't realize how few of their comics they'll actually re-read. My friend was aghast when I sold like 3/4 of my print collection to get rid of clutter in the house.

Owzers

I can see myself cutting down my pull list to 20 or less titles sometime and i'd definitely reread my favorites at least once more.

Infinity Man and the Forever People was announced on the DC All Access show today.
DiDio and Giffen writing with Giffen and Scott Koblish on art.

http://www.dccomics.com/comics/infi...le-2014/infinity-man-and-the-forever-people-1

Hmm, the solicit only mentions four Forever People, I wonder who they are leaving out?
Looks good enough.

This gives certain validity to the 4chan rumor: (Hooray for Booster Gold)
http://archive.foolz.us/co/thread/59596183/#q59596183 said:
>Booster Gold
>Superman and ARGUS
>Nightwing and Bluebird
>Young Justice
>Forever People

Other points of interest:
>Batman and (...) will be Batman and
Carrie Kelly this month
>Pandora isn't listed, possibly stealth canceled?

Unai

Actually, I re-read a lot.

But now that I think about it, digital would make things so easy to re-read. I think I'll keep buying a handful of trades and all the rest in digital format. By the time comixology is closing there will propably be a better way to handle these DRM systems.

I figure worst case scenario, I'll have an ipad by then I'm not using for anything else, or at the very least a drive, and I can just download anything I would want to re-read. I have over 2,000 comics on comixology and I spend zero time worrying about this. Even with that large a collection, if I stuck to complete runs/stuff I'd actually read again, I still couldn't fill a 64 GB ipad.

Comixology for must-read monthlies, trades for everything else. I imagine my pull list is drastically smaller than most people's here, but it works for me.

IRON FIST LOOKS AMAZEBALLS GRASSHOPPER

Iron-Fist-TLW-1-Preview-1-36ff7.jpg
Iron-Fist-TLW-1-Preview-2-f42a0.jpg
Iron-Fist-TLW-1-Preview-3-3cb05.jpg

Iron-Fist-TLW-1-Cover-16590.jpg
Iron-Fist-TLW-1-Del-Mundo-Animal-Variant-80a11.jpg
Iron-Fist-TLW-1-Young-Variant-c2718.jpg
WHY ARE WE YELLING

Recently jumped back into comics after a long hiatus and I've fallen in love with the work of both Matt Fraction due to Hawkeye and Sex Criminals and with Mark Waid due to Daredevil. Anyone have additional recommendations for other things either of them have written? Preferably a) collected in trade(s) and b) relatively self contained.

Thanks!

Can we talk about how great Injustice is? You'd think that a comic series based on a fighting game would be wall to wall fights, but it's actually a great character study of the DC Universe. Tom Taylor is taking the idea of Superman wanting to protect the Earth one step at a time, and in doing so, is able to draw from the wealth of DC history and relationships and mine gold. Today's issue for instance, revolves around
the Guardians being around when Krypton exploded, and doing nothing about it,
which makes perfect sense! And the way the flashback is handled is masterful! You can totally see Superman's point of view.

Now some parts, like
Green Arrow's fate
, be a little hard to swallow, I feel like the amount of restraint coupled with the imaginative use of character interactions has made this my favorite current DC series.

Recently jumped back into comics after a long hiatus and I've fallen in love with the work of both Matt Fraction due to Hawkeye and Sex Criminals and with Mark Waid due to Daredevil. Anyone have additional recommendations for other things either of them have written? Preferably a) collected in trade(s) and b) relatively self contained.

Thanks!

Waid:
Kingdom Come (you've probably already read this if you're into comics)
Irredeemable
Superman: Birthright
The Flash: Born to Run (his entire Flash run is gold, but hard to find)
The Brave and The Bold (2006 series, first three volumes)

Fraction:
Immortal Iron Fist (recently collected as one trade)
FF
Invincible Iron Man (at least up until Stark Disassembled, YMMV as to the quality of the rest)
Casanova
The Defenders

NEO0MJ

Hey, long time no post. I've considering picking up Lucifer and was wondering which to pick up, the old volumes or the new "books". Thanks.

Oh, and how was planetoid? I was considering picking it up just for the art.

ElNarez

Banned
I'm trying to reconcile my thoughts re: Wolverine and the X-Men #1 being kinda shit. All the character voices are way off, and the idea of one more goddamn X-Men story arc involving the Phoenix coupled with the "Is Evan gonna be the next big evil Apocalypse" shit that kinda sorta has been fucking squashed in Remender's Uncanny X-Force sounds like fucking balls to me. Am I crazy? Or, to be precise, more crazy and wrong than usual?

Bii

I'm trying to reconcile my thoughts re: Wolverine and the X-Men #1 being kinda shit. All the character voices are way off, and the idea of one more goddamn X-Men story arc involving the Phoenix coupled with the "Is Evan gonna be the next big evil Apocalypse" shit that kinda sorta has been fucking squashed in Remender's Uncanny X-Force sounds like fucking balls to me. Am I crazy? Or, to be precise, more crazy and wrong than usual?

No, no, you're not crazy. I have the same feelings towards that issue as well. I mean, the foreshadowing was pretty damn cool and you're left wondering how Evan became what he is (same for Quentin, but we've seen a lot of his future self to see that there aren't many surprises left). I might hold off on getting the monthlies and gauge how others are liking it as it continues.

Messi

I don't think I am enjoying FBP. The art can be beautiful and colourful at times. But my problem is that I can't follow the story, it all feels like mumbo jumbo to me. Physics this, bubbles that. Maybe I should go back to simpler bat books :( feels bad man.

Edit: ok I kept reading
the issue where Adam is getting high and talking about his dad was pretty good and I followed it all clearly. Interested to see where this Rosa girl goes

Edit 2: I want to take back any negatives I pointed out in this post. I am in, clever book and cool characters. Unique look. Ya got me Rafa! In for singles.

ElNarez

Banned
But seriously, how can you even get away with showing Fantomex feeling any sort of guilt or remorse? How can you miss the entire fucking point of Quentin Quire growing up in spite of himself and revert him to a whiny teen? How do you even fucking think for one moment that "eye" puns are cute or funny? How do you get it so wrong?

Okay, this has been processed and I feel better about things now. Wolverine and The X-Men #1, it's shit.

Vibranium

Banned
Any thoughts on Waid's Green Hornet, guys? It's on sale on Comixology, thinking of picking it up.

Also, Iron Fist is looking damn good. Can't wait!

headshot95

Neo Member
Do we know anything about Sex Criminals continuing? I can't seem to find anything beyond issue five coming out in a couple of weeks.

Messi

Do we know anything about Sex Criminals continuing? I can't seem to find anything beyond issue five coming out in a couple of weeks.

Likely just the end of the first arc and they will take a break for a month or two while the trade releases.

--

Do I need to read any avengers book to pick up Secret Avengers tomorrow? I don't want to be totally lost.

arkon

Probably only the previous Secret Avengers run. Hard to say without reading issue 1 to see how well they set it up for new readers.

tim1138

Likely just the end of the first arc and they will take a break for a month or two while the trade releases.

--

Do I need to read any avengers book to pick up Secret Avengers tomorrow? I don't want to be totally lost.

Nah it's stand alone, at least for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom