• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2014. Longshot and Domino are hogging all the four-leaf clovers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
can somebody do me a favor and lie to me and say there's a decent chance that there'll be a Spidey book not written by Slott before I die

ElNarez

Banned
Why do Dan Didio and these dinosaurs continue to launch books like Forever People? FUCK

Because fuck you OMAC ruled.

PS: Avengers Arena was a turd, and Avengers Undercover will be a turd.

PPS: Secret Avengers will rule because it's the team that brought Zero to the world doing their thing which rules, get that instead

Just ducking bullshit. Didio it shrinks the diversity of the line to the size of his penis. Then he launches an under utilized property. When it fails he be like I gave ya brahs the book and if I couldn't make it a success nobody can. Such bullshit. Give me a call when you wanna make some money.

SSJLuffy

Dude... the battle in TWD with the Governor is actually a battle! Some seriously awesome stuff just happened... can't stop reading.

Vibranium

Banned
Just ducking bullshit. Didio it shrinks the diversity of the line to the size of his penis. Then he launches an under utilized property. When it fails he be like I gave ya brahs the book and if I couldn't make it a success nobody can. Such bullshit. Give me a call when you wanna make some money.

Yep. Guy is incompetent and I'm shocked DC higher-ups haven't canned him yet, long overdue. Get someone fresh in there, ASAP.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Ordered up:
* Animal Man, Vol 4
* Fatale, Vol 4
* FBP, Vol 1
* Prophet, Vol 3
* Snowpiercer, Vol 1
* TMNT, Vol 7
* TMNT: Villains, Vol 2
* TMNT Adventures, Vol 6
* Zero, Vol 1

Next week is Green Arrow!

Oh, and how was planetoid? I was considering picking it up just for the art.

I thought it was a good, fun read.

I don't think I am enjoying FBP. The art can be beautiful and colourful at times. But my problem is that I can't follow the story, it all feels like mumbo jumbo to me. Physics this, bubbles that. Maybe I should go back to simpler bat books :( feels bad man.

Edit: ok I kept reading
the issue where Adam is getting high and talking about his dad was pretty good and I followed it all clearly. Interested to see where this Rosa girl goes

Edit 2: I want to take back any negatives I pointed out in this post. I am in, clever book and cool characters. Unique look. Ya got me Rafa! In for singles.

I was sad reading this post at first!,, im glad you came around! lol It is a hard to follow at first. Awesome to see peoples liking this tho, unique is a good way to describe it.

True. I'm sure a lot of people will ride it out until then unfortunately. Hopefully his eventual replacement is way better.

I only follow Batman at the moment, so yeah...

You're missing out on alot of quality comics if you are only pulling Batman.

You should also be getting:

Batman and Robin
Adventure Comics
Batman/Superman
Superman/Wonder Woman
Green Arrow
Earth 2
Red Lanterns
Batman Beyond Universe
Adventures of Superman

Amongst many others. But I'm not surprised if New 52 detractors refuse to do so. They've so built up this mythology of the New 52 as a universally bad thing that they rose tint everything about pre 52 as though it were perfection. The truth is there are more good books now than before but people refuse to acknowledge that fact.

Messi

Reading the Catwoman Gothopia tie in.

WTFCatwoman.jpg

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
You're missing out on alot of quality comics if you are only pulling Batman.

You should also be getting:

Batman and Robin - shit
Adventure Comics - did you mean Action? Cos that's good
Batman/Superman - shit
Superman/Wonder Woman - ok
Green Arrow - ok/good
Earth 2 - shit
Red Lanterns - shit
Batman Beyond Universe - shit
Adventures of Superman - ok

Amongst many others. But I'm not surprised if New 52 detractors refuse to do so. They've so built up this mythology of the New 52 as a universally bad thing that they rose tint everything about pre 52 as though it were perfection. The truth is there are more good books now than before but people refuse to acknowledge that fact.

You also missed off Action Comics which is actually pretty good, and Batwoman which seems OK and Forever Evil which is shit.

You keep making this a company loyalty issue and it's bullshit, it's not the case at all.

The fact is that before the new 52 DC was floundering outside of Batman and Green Lantern (although tbh I was really enjoying Superman around then too). The New 52 was incredibly exciting, I must have bought 40 titles that month. I was excited for the Legion - the Legion!! I get about 5 books now. Why do you think that is?

Messi

You also missed off Action Comics which is actually pretty good, and Batwoman which seems OK and Forever Evil which is shit.

You keep making this a company loyalty issue and it's bullshit, it's not the case at all.

The fact is that before the new 52 DC was floundering outside of Batman and Green Lantern (although tbh I was really enjoying Superman around then too). The New 52 was incredibly exciting, I must have bought 40 titles that month. I was excited for the Legion - the Legion!! I get about 5 books now. Why do you think that is?

Don't be redicilous. Batman and Robin is great.

I meant Action. Don't know why I typed Adventure. Also it's not a definitive list just some of the better ones imo.

You're calling Batman and Robin "shit" and give Green Arrow a begrudgingly "ok/good"? Really? We're clearly never going to agree on anything.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I meant Action. Don't know why I typed Adventure. Also it's not a definitive list just some of the better ones imo.

You're calling Batman and Robin "shit" and give Green Arrow a begrudgingly "ok/good"? Really? We're clearly never going to agree on anything.

It's early and I'm bored, fight me brah.

GA I'm against from a purely philosophical standpoint. I'm still angry they de-aged Ollie, one of DC's very best and most interesting characters, a hangover from the 60s, a liberal politically motivated character, rare in comics. So they go make him a 25 year old CW actor which means that the characters doesn't make sense any more - his relationship with Roy doesn't work properly, all the character development between him and Dinah is lost, Connor Hawke, all that stuff. I read the first few issues of the Lemire stuff but it didn't click and I don't get on with the art either (much like Jae Lee, I find it to be incredibly claustrophobic, it makes me kinda short of breath, it feels so airless - like they're trapped in amber).

It's early and I'm bored, fight me brah.

GA I'm against from a purely philosophical standpoint. I'm still angry they de-aged Ollie, one of DC's very best and most interesting characters, a hangover from the 60s, a liberal politically motivated character, rare in comics. So they go make him a 25 year old CW actor which means that the characters doesn't make sense any more - his relationship with Roy doesn't work properly, all the character development between him and Dinah is lost, Connor Hawke, all that stuff. I read the first few issues of the Lemire stuff but it didn't click and I don't get on with the art either (much like Jae Lee, I find it to be incredibly claustrophobic, it makes me kinda short of breath, it feels so airless - like they're trapped in amber).

I had one serious bout of the stages of grief in regards to the loss of a charactet/book. It was extremely intense and I honestly felt like it might be the thing that nipped my comics love. But I got over it, over time, and just learned to not let such things bother me. I realized that the thing I love still exists even if not in its current incarnation.

So the idea that it's not "my" version of the character also doesn't bother me. As a Legion fan I've probably dealt with more incarnations of single characters across an ensemble cast than most do across their entire pull list.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

Don't be redicilous. Batman and Robin is great.

Jedeye, I...man this is fucking hard, Messi is right, dude. That dude parades bad books around like it's his job but Batman & Robin is fucking great, man. The emotional core that is almost always missing from Snyder's Batman run because he's not great with characterization is the heart of Batman & Robin. It started off a bit shaky, and there are some drags due to Synder's Bat-events, but the series found its footing during Damian's demise and it's only been getting exponentially better. Tomasi is following the threads of Morrison's Batman run but writing it in his own style and working damn well with Pat Gleason.

I liked Batman and Robin from the start. I thought the Nobody arc was actually really interesting. Seeing the heartbreak in Bruce and Damian' eyes when Damian killed Nobody was an amazing moment.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I liked Batman and Robin from the start. I thought the Nobody arc was actually really interesting.

That's cool, man, me too. But if somebody wanted to argue over whether it was sort-of, kind-of weak, they'd be completely right. More importantly, when you compare that stuff to the most recent 12 or so issues, then you can absolutely tell that the team was trying to find their footing and finally did.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Jedeye, I...man this is fucking hard, Messi is right, dude. That dude parades bad books around like it's his job but Batman & Robin is fucking great, man. The emotional core that is almost always missing from Snyder's Batman run because he's not great with characterization is the heart of Batman & Robin. It started off a bit shaky, and there are some drags due to Synder's Bat-events, but the series found its footing during Damian's demise and it's only been getting exponentially better. Tomasi is following the threads of Morrison's Batman run but writing it in his own style and working damn well with Pat Gleason.

heh we can agree to disagree :p I read the first two arcs and did not enjoy them at all -especially that second arc with the ridiculous Terminus character getting in the way of the VERY COOL story about the Robins. I jumped back in for the Damo wake and was treated to a few issues in a row of Batman crying and demanding his son be resurrected. While it's a neat idea in a universe where resurrection is real, it was hollow - hollow because we knew full well Damian was not and could not be bought back in those issues. I quite liked that issue right after he died with the Carrie Kelly bit, that was OK despite shoehorning in that DKR reference.

This comes back to an essential point that I feel about serial storytelling - a big death badly handled can utterly ruin a story. Take Buffy when her mum died (or even when she died herself) - it utterly broke the character for multiple seasons. As an audience we understand that characters need to go through grief but the trouble is that it's rote, we know how it'll play out. And so we just have to wait for it to happen. In B&R this took what, 6 issues? Half a year. Half a year where we know what the only outcome can be!

Funnily enough I think that Snyder handled the death way better. One or two issues of sob sob Batman and then MOVE THE FUCK ON. Snyder did more to upset me in one or two pages of that (awful) Clayface story where Bruce is watching old cowl footage of Damian than the few issues of Tomasi that I read with all the hand wringing and shouting at the sky. And I'm not an idiot, I get exactly what Tomasi was aiming at, he just misses the target consistently for me.

Sorry dudes! By all means ignore my hatebarfs, I write them mostly to entertain myself anyway, I don't expect to change any minds :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom