• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2014. Longshot and Domino are hogging all the four-leaf clovers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everybody-Has-One-1-33802.jpg

"It's not that the stakes are any less significant in 'Original Sin,' but the aim of the bullseye is much more personal," Marvel Executive Editor Tom Brevoort said during a recent Axel-in-Charge. "We've been saying all along: 'It's a murder mystery.' But it's a Marvel Universe murder mystery. The victim is The Watcher, which immediately puts you on a very different scale than the average stiff at the corner crime lab. It will play itself out through time, space, dimensions -- all the kinds of things that you would think of in a Marvel event. But the stakes as it relates to our heroes and villains and bystanders are much more emotional and much more internal than they are external, for the first time in a good long while."
Source (CBR)

I like the idea that this isn't some big "world at stake" punch-em-up event. The fact that it's a murder mystery focusing on emotional consequences, though, is no doubt going to earn it comparisons to DC's Identity Crisis whether earned or not.

Didn't you hear. Batman was the shit this month.

I didnt read it yet
I can't comment on Batman, as I don't read it. But Moon Knight #1 hit all the right buttons for me, with its "weird crime" mystery and episodic feel.

You're right, there are still two weeks to go. But, it's extremely likely to end up at the top of my ballot.

Messi

Batman will never place in book of the month. Most of the DC fans in here all have different favorite characters.

January 2014. We are the champions. never say never. Defeated the Locke and Key finale by 8 clear points.

If GAFs favourite dc villain can do it don't be so sure Batman can't.

Tomasi batman will win before Snyder. Dat heart.

It's been more than a week so we can freely discuss Moon Knight. I just reread it and enjoyed it more a second time.

The last scene at the run down mansion was pretty similar in setting to Bruce Wayne's "I shall become a bat" moment. Only thing that I don't get were two guys in the room and the beaked skull saying "you are my son". Then the last panel is Spector looking discouraged. Any thoughts on this scene anybody?

Messi

It's been more than a week so we can freely discuss Moon Knight. I just reread it and enjoyed it more a second time.

The last scene at the run down mansion was pretty similar in setting to Bruce Wayne's "I shall become a bat" moment. Only thing that I don't get were two guys in the room and the beaked skull saying "you are my son". Then the last panel is Spector looking discouraged. Any thoughts on this scene anybody?

Yeah that last page lost me completely. I have no idea what it was about.

January 2014. We are the champions. never say never. Defeated the Locke and Key finale by 8 clear points.

If GAFs favourite dc villain can do it don't be so sure Batman can't.

Tomasi batman will win before Snyder. Dat heart.

It would be cool if Batman and Aquaman is the book of the month.

Owzers

So, I'm probably not the only person to ask this, but what is the point of Avengers World? I don't understand the point of having yet another Avengers book.

I'm liking it so far, but it does feel like a third wheel. Avengers World allows more time to be spent on the rest of the avengers not caught up in incursions and other earth Avengers.

First thing I want to mention is, it will all be explained because Ellis is a good writer.

The only thing I can think of is what happened in the previous scene when the doctor revealed that he is in fact possessed by Khonshu, and all the personas that he thought he created Steven Grant, Jake Lockley and Moon Knight were just aspects of Khonshu. Marc Spector had believed that he had dissociative identity disorder the entire time, that everything he did was because of his psychosis and not some supernatural ancient god had taken residence inside his brain. We now see him as a haunted man who can no longer control his fate, if Khonshu's most violent aspect decides to go on a vengeance spree, Marc Spector will just have to spectate it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Everybody-Has-One-1-33802.jpg

Source (CBR)

I like the idea that this isn't some big "world at stake" punch-em-up event. The fact that it's a murder mystery focusing on emotional consequences, though, is no doubt going to earn it comparisons to DC's Identity Crisis whether earned or not.

It looks like the Illuminati is going to be in big trouble based on that art. It may not be big "world at stake" but it looks like shit is going to get real none-the-less.

First thing I want to mention is, it will all be explained because Ellis is a good writer.

The only thing I can think of is what happened in the previous scene when the doctor revealed that he is in fact possessed by Khonshu, and all the personas that he thought he created Steven Grant, Jake Lockley and Moon Knight were just aspects of Khonshu. Marc Spector had believed that he had dissociative identity disorder the entire time, that everything he did was because of his psychosis and not some supernatural ancient god had taken residence inside his brain. We now see him as a haunted man who can no longer control his fate, if Khonshu's most violent aspect decides to go on a vengeance spree, Marc Spector will just have to spectate it.

That's kinda what I got out of it and the last panel was him realizing he would probably rather have PDD.

Vibranium

Banned
Lol, that Original Sin cover artist didn't even try to draw Cap's current NOW look, that's lazy. You work for one of the top companies at Marvel yet you can't keep visual consistency with other artists? Geez...

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Forgot about him. Quitely, Pulido, and Land occupy their own special category of Face Drawing Hell.

It's the copy-pasta eyes. Superman's eyes = Wolverine's eyes. Terrible.

I wish I could see all that, but it's hidden behind the least human looking faces ever.

I want to call you names but I don't want to get banned for something so dumb so instead I will just smh and quietly judge you.

Okay, so I just watched the Frank Quietly BBC Documentary ... it was 30 minutes of... greatness. Can you guys reccomend some other comic documentaries?

LTTP, but Batman #29 was God Tier.

So many images and panels that just POP! I also love Capullo's Gordon.

It's amazing the turn around in quality that a good chunk of DC's books have had lately. So many consistently good books now.

After reading the June DC solicits I'm convinced Vendetti and Ven Jansen have dirt on DiDio. Their future Flash arc sounds almost identical to Buccaleto/Manapul's Reverse Flash arc. Strangely colored not Barry Flash kills people to travel into the past! Who is this mysterious stranger?
DC plz.
I know brah. And whats up with evil Superman fetish? Earth 2, Forever Evil, Justice League Beyond, Injustice and debatable but Sperman Nchained as well. Da fuck?

And I know I talk a lot of shit and self promote myself more than Mark Millar. But seriously, give me my fucking shot and I will make compelling comics out of the gate. I want my title shot. Im hungry. If I can be a Walmart superstar I can become a comics superstar.

Splatt

Beaked skull was Khonshu, Egyptian god that saved Spector's life and turned him into Moon Knight.

Messi pls. Dare to believe.

Justice League of America #29: Loved it. Granted, I had a hunch this was going to be the resolution, but it puts all the previous chapters in the story into context and make much more sense.

tim1138

Messi pls. Dare to believe.

Justice League of America #29: Loved it. Granted, I had a hunch this was going to be the resolution, but it puts all the previous chapters in the story into context and make much more sense.

The "twist" was so predictable, but that's ok because Stargirl maintained her agency as a strong character throughout.

I won't return to this thread until my first comic is solicited. Buy FBP everyone and support the comic creators. I will whoop Cullen Bunn, Justin Jordan, Joe Keatinge and Ann Nocenti's ass like a masochist I'll miss you all.

Rock Over London
Rock On Chicago
Save Money Live Better
Walmart

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
The "twist" was so predictable, but that's ok because Stargirl maintained her agency as a strong character throughout.

Would have been ok as a one or two parter. Was a bit of a stretch when I could tell exactly where it was going from the first issue of it.

Messi

I won't return to this thread until my first comic is solicited. Buy FBP everyone and support the comic creators. I will whoop Cullen Bunn, Justin Jordan, Joe Keatinge and Ann Nocenti's ass like a masochist I'll miss you all.

Rock Over London
Rock On Chicago
Save Money Live Better
Walmart

3372549-2453457402-tumbl.gif

phoenixyz

I just read the first paperback of Prophet and I didn't really warm up to it. Is there a reason to continue or is this one simply not for me?

Splatt

I just read the first paperback of Prophet and I didn't really warm up to it. Is there a reason to continue or is this one simply not for me?

It's pretty much the same throught the whole run. Beautiful art with minimal text on it.

It's a bit hard to follow because the writer doesn't really bother to explain anything, he leaves it up to the reader to pick up clues from what little text there is.

kswiston

It's been a few months since I have looked at comic sales, but if Forever Evil #5 can't even manage to break 100k sales, what's the point of disrupting a bunch of series for these events? The audience seems to be much diminished.

It's been a few months since I have looked at comic sales, but if Forever Evil #5 can't even manage to break 100k sales, what's the point of disrupting a bunch of series for these events? The audience seems to be much diminished.
Gotta introduce that red ribbon in the sky somehow. It's gonna be important.

Dat red ribbon...

arkon

The series expands in scope but I'd say the quality remains about the same. If you're not liking what's on offer in the first trade I'm not sure the rest of the series will be to your liking. Like the style of writing doesn't change noticeably from that early arc.

Lol, that Original Sin cover artist didn't even try to draw Cap's current NOW look, that's lazy. You work for one of the top companies at Marvel yet you can't keep visual consistency with other artists? Geez...

It's a redrawing of an event that happened in the new avengers illuminati series. Cap got his mind wiped.

That's comic sales as a whole... ? You forget to mention that it was also the #2 book of that month, following behind Batman.

tim1138

Would have been ok as a one or two parter. Was a bit of a stretch when I could tell exactly where it was going from the first issue of it.

Oh I agree completely, all I was saying is that in spite of the "twist" Stargirl stayed a strong character. The time building her up wasn't diminished by the plot twist.

phoenixyz

The series expands in scope but I'd say the quality remains about the same. If you're not liking what's on offer in the first trade I'm not sure the rest of the series will be to your liking. Like the style of writing doesn't change noticeably from that early arc.
It's pretty much the same throught the whole run. Beautiful art with minimal text on it.

It's a bit hard to follow because the writer doesn't really bother to explain anything, he leaves it up to the reader to pick up clues from what little text there is.
Thanks for the info. I'll probably move on then.

The comments in that are glorious.

Please, God, no! I haven't bought a DC title in over two years since they destroyed 'my' DCU, please don't let the bastards anywhere near Dynamite, the company currently putting out half the best comics on my pull list.

Loathsome. It's like DC/Warner Bros is the THE THING (John Carpenter's). DC is salivating at the thought of assimilating a real comic book publisher and destroying all it's series

I can't see Dynamite library being worth their (or anyone's) while. Most of their titles are barely worth reading, much less owning the rights to. It might be worth it just to fire Chris Roberson again tho.

Why would DC buy dynamite . Their whole line is public Domain stuff.

And they already canceled the boys once. Don think they wan to plunking again .

vazel

Banned
Why does DC want to do that? Nick Barrucci has used Dynamite to push his love for old pulp heroes like The Shadow and I love him for it, but I can't imagine it's been too profitable for him.

Edit: I fear for Dynamite's pulp hero comics if DC buys them. DC already tried their hand at a pulp line not too long ago and then cancelled it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom