• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2014. Longshot and Domino are hogging all the four-leaf clovers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've come to the conclusion that's favorite writers right now are Scott Snyder, Rick Remender and Charles Soule. Which leads me to inquiring about Uncanny Avengers. What's the general vibe of the book? Could I start at the first trade and be able to jump into this world without knowing anything?

Also, Charles Soule's Inhuman comes out soon. What the hell is it and why should I buy it?

Silver Surfer was the highlight for me today.

I also picked up Loki #1 and #2 and Captain Marvel #1.

Loki is intriguing to me...it will definitely take more issues for me to decide on. Captain Marvel #1 felt really pointless. It starts with a cold open full of action and then goes into another long and tedious flashback sequence where she's moping around on Earth feeling out of place again. Silver Surfer proves that #1s don't have to be so boring and "set-up"y. This is especially concerning for a series that is essentially a continuation of a pre-existing title.

Boogiepop

The more items the better its packed. Don't ever buy 1 thing. I bought only saga 3 and it was damaged.

My order of both Invincible Compendiums arrived the other day. It was my first thing I've ordered from them, and they had that thing PROTECTED. Like, a seal formed by four bulky foam-esque things, and then the books themselves were in a solid plastic wrap. Sure beats the hell out of Amazon's packing. I mean, I was seriously a little impressed.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
did i ever tell you guys how much better young scott is than his mr x future form? this ride is gonna end eventually, but i miss the idealistic non asshole version of this character

vocab

My order of both Invincible Compendiums arrived the other day. It was my first thing I've ordered from them, and they had that thing PROTECTED. Like, a seal formed by four bulky foam-esque things, and then the books themselves were in a solid plastic wrap. Sure beats the hell out of Amazon's packing. I mean, I was seriously a little impressed.

Big books are fine, but buying a single trade is no different than amazon's shipping.

Dysun

I've come to the conclusion that's favorite writers right now are Scott Snyder, Rick Remender and Charles Soule. Which leads me to inquiring about Uncanny Avengers. What's the general vibe of the book? Could I start at the first trade and be able to jump into this world without knowing anything?

You would be sort of lost without having read Uncanny X-Force and the basics of Avengers vs X-men. It is a fantastic book though
It really feels like UXF 2.0 but on a bigger scale with the Avengers

You would be sort of lost without having read Uncanny X-Force and the basics of Avengers vs X-men. It is a fantastic book though
It really feels like UXF 2.0 but on a bigger scale with the Avengers

Luckily, I have Uncanny X-Force on my shelf waiting to be read.

anaron

More incredible Elektra #1 interiors

1alHymq.jpg

64xM7ll.jpg

zDzzdn8.jpg

The Wake 7 was fucking fantastic. Yes, the language was needed to express my feelings........

Because Deadly Class was mother fucking fantastic!! This book just speaks to me. Very relatable.

Lol,, Didn't get to read these two yesterday,, really looking forward to em today,, Sandman looks sweet too,, i'll probably read #1 again before #2,, been so damn long..

tim1138

see, i'm in for Ghost Rider mostly for Tradd Moore drawing cool shit. it was generic, yeah, but at least it fuckin looked good

I liked Silver Surfer too. I was still wondering why Slott was writing it (even while i read it) but then it grabbed me in the last few pages, so i don't mind.

My take on Ghost Rider was the pretty much the same as yours. I've never cared one way or another about Ghost Rider as a character, but I love cool cars and Tradd Moore. Hell, I hope all the issues have as little writing as the first issue, let Moore do the bulk of the storytelling.

Cheska said:
Tim, there's someone else on GAF with the same avatar as you, it's throwing me off! Lol

Really? That's kinda weird.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Superior: Finally. I expect a whole swathe of convenient and shitty amnesia to make the return to status quo even less satisfying and eye-rolly. Carlie Cooper top of the list. Cheers for not phoning the Avengers sooner, you terrible character!

New-Avengers:
Christ. If Hickman wants to defect to DC, just do it already.

Amazing X-Men:
Mmm-MMM. Delicious classic X-Men feels.

Iron Patriot:
This was alright. Good start, maybe a bit slow, perhaps a touch too generic, but could go well. Better than Iron Man at least!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Superior: Finally. I expect a whole swathe of convenient and shitty amnesia to make the return to status quo even less satisfying and eye-rolly. Carlie Cooper top of the list. Cheers for not phoning the Avengers sooner, you terrible character!

New-Avengers:
Christ. If Hickman wants to defect to DC, just do it already.

Amazing X-Men:
Mmm-MMM. Delicious classic X-Men feels.

Iron Patriot:
This was alright. Good start, maybe a bit slow, perhaps a touch too generic, but could go well. Better than Iron Man at least!

I actually LOL'd when SUN GAWD called that dude Wayne. I like Hickman but damn is he fond of repeating himself in this book. I don't feel like this moved the overall plot forward much at all. There are other people in the multiverse also working on this. Gotcha. Could have told me that in one page, man. I feel like I've read this story a bunch of times already.

Uncanny Avengers was pretty dope I thought, some fun stuff in that. I can't wait to see how Remender gets out of this one.

Guardians of the Galaxy wrapped up the Trial of Jean Grey and I thought it was a good ending. Weird how Bendy keeps splitting the O5 off, I wonder what book we have to read to get young Cyke's continuing adventures with Mister Six from the Invisibles? I thought the whole crossover was really well handled though and it keeps me excited for the ANXM world going forward. Was a bit of a shame that the book wasn't 100% Pichelli though - they keep doing that Pichelli/Marquez bait and switch which I think is selling Marquez a bit short. He's good, but he feels like silver up against Pichelli's gold. Give him his own book rather than using him as consolation.

tim1138

I actually LOL'd when SUN GAWD called that dude Wayne. I like Hickman but damn is he fond of repeating himself in this book. I don't feel like this moved the overall plot forward much at all. There are other people in the multiverse also working on this. Gotcha. Could have told me that in one page, man. I feel like I've read this story a bunch of times already.

Uncanny Avengers was pretty dope I thought, some fun stuff in that. I can't wait to see how Remender gets out of this one.

Guardians of the Galaxy wrapped up the Trial of Jean Grey and I thought it was a good ending. Weird how Bendy keeps splitting the O5 off, I wonder what book we have to read to get young Cyke's continuing adventures with Mister Six from the Invisibles? I thought the whole crossover was really well handled though and it keeps me excited for the ANXM world going forward. Was a bit of a shame that the book wasn't 100% Pichelli though - they keep doing that Pichelli/Marquez bait and switch which I think is selling Marquez a bit short. He's good, but he feels like silver up against Pichelli's gold. Give him his own book rather than using him as consolation.

Isn't young Cyke getting a solo book by Rucka?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

I think, I THINK, it might have something to do with TIME TRAVEL.

Anyone else reckon Marvel issued some sort of "Hey, all time travel and alternate reality style stories are going to be off the board in a couple of years. This is your chance to go nuts now and exhaust your wildest crossover nonsense" mandate?

It can't be a coincidence that we have:

- X-Men from the past, X-Men from the future, X-Men up in their own little X-World time-splinter.

-New Avengers showing just non-stop Elseworlds instead of actually moving a plot.

-Galactus makes a trip to Ultimate universe. Doesn't kill it bizarrely enough.

-Past Thor, Present Thor, Old King Thor.

-Spider-verse crossover of goofyness, 2099 a permanent fixture for a while anyway. Oh and those missing 50 years resultant of OMD.

-Indestructable Hulk doing all the time shit as well recently.

and more all at the same time unless I guess most writers have just run out of ideas that can be based on longterm continuity. A big "THERE IS NO MORE TIME-SLIP/ALTERNATE DIMENSION BULLSHIT" line decree would kind of be refreshing after recent years really.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

Anyone else reckon Marvel issued some sort of "Hey, all time travel and alternate reality style stories are going to be off the board in a couple of years. This is your chance to go nuts now and exhaust your wildest crossover nonsense" mandate?

It can't be a coincidence that we have:

- X-Men from the past, X-Men from the future, X-Men up in their own little X-World time-splinter.

-New Avengers showing just non-stop Elseworlds instead of actually moving a plot.

-Galactus makes a trip to Ultimate universe. Doesn't kill it bizarrely enough.

-Past Thor, Present Thor, Old King Thor.

-Spider-verse crossover of goofyness, 2099 a permanent fixture for a while anyway. Oh and those missing 50 years resultant of OMD.

-Indestructable Hulk doing all the time shit as well recently.

and more all at the same time unless I guess most writers have just run out of ideas that can be based on longterm continuity. A big "THERE IS NO MORE TIME-SLIP/ALTERNATE DIMENSION BULLSHIT" line decree would kind of be refreshing after recent years really.

I do agree with you on this, all these alternative timelines and time travel stories are part of an overall plot. It would all tie into the reason the builders were attempting to get to earth to destroy it in infinity. Too much time travel on Earth 616.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
TIME TRAVEL.

Yeah, there's been time travel elements in a huge amount of titles recently, not sure if it started with the original X-Men coming to the present but it's definitely spread around a hell of a lot. Bound to be some sort of event coming up (outside of Battle of the Atom)

Mindwipe

Hasn't Marvel explicitly said that they are going for a "time is broken" theme as a result of Age of Ultron? And therefore lots of time travel stories were being done as a result?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I do agree with you on this, all these alternative timelines and time travel stories are part of an overall plot. It would all tie into the reason the builders were attempting to get to earth to destroy it in infinity. Too much time travel on Earth 616.

Yep, totally agree. THIS is how you build to an event. I can't wait for it, it's gonna rock.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Hasn't Marvel explicitly said that they are going for a "time is broken" theme as a result of Age of Ultron? And therefore lots of time travel stories were being done as a result?

Yeah age of ultron is the springboard for "time is broke" theme. To Marvels credit after saying it explicitly early on, they've let the work do the talking since. I'm figuring this is going to be the overarching theme of the next few years just like the idea of Heroes fighting Heroes (skrulls, civil war, Osborn in charge of shield) was the theme before it.

Yep, totally agree. THIS is how you build to an event. I can't wait for it, it's gonna rock.

Yep, if Marvel does it right even though I doubt they pull a DC reboot, it could give them an opportunity to bring A few fringe characters from the else worlds into marvel 616.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Deadly Class is the first Rick Remender joint where I don't like the protagonist at all. It's still a great comic, but Willie is a far more sympathetic character than Marcus and Marcus' sociopathic rant/take on friendship was frustrating to read.

Deadly Class is the first Rick Remender joint where I don't like the protagonist at all. It's still a great comic, but Willie is a far more sympathetic character than Marcus and Marcus' sociopathic rant/take on friendship was frustrating to read.

It was, but it rang true. I don't always have to like a protagonist if I can see where he's coming from.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
It was, but it rang true. I don't always have to like a protagonist if I can see where he's coming from.

Totally, I wasn't saying likeability is a must for me to enjoy a book, because I am enjoying Deadly Class--it's just interesting that this is the first Remender protagonist that I can't stand.

ElNarez

Banned

Just because it's not a zoom-boom-pow Geoff Johns comic doesn't mean things haven't moved forward. Like, over the course of the last two issues, they've learned a great deal about just how dangerous the Black Swan actually is, and in this last one, they found a universe where heroes have found a way to deal with incursions in a better way that doesn't destroy an Earth -contrast with the parallel earths where the Illuminati have gotten hella wrecked- but that seems to tie with the Black Priests. Loads of stuff.

Anyway, I didn't come here to defend a great fucking book, but to post this.

tumblr_n33kqbyRKy1rx5px6o1_500.jpg

shit is gonna be crayyyyyy

Just because it's not a zoom-boom-pow Geoff Johns comic doesn't mean things haven't moved forward. Like, over the course of the last two issues, they've learned a great deal about just how dangerous the Black Swan actually is, and in this last one, they found a universe where heroes have found a way to deal with incursions in a better way that doesn't destroy an Earth -contrast with the parallel earths where the Illuminati have gotten hella wrecked- but that seems to tie with the Black Priests. Loads of stuff.

A) HOLY SHIT

B) Totally fucking agreed. I can't see any way that Universe Distinguished Competition isn't HUGELY important after that Sun God page where
he DIRECTLY CONTRADICTS Reed's overwhelming nihilism point by point and, oh, surprise, THIS is the world that's found a way to stop incursions, GEE, REED,
MAYBE STOP WATCHING LARS VON TRIER MOVIES.

ElNarez

Banned
An other comic I liked was Iron Patriot #1, which just hits all the notes it's going for right. It's just a smart blend of character study and political intrigue, using the premise of a superhero comic, and it's just so fucking good at it it's gonna be a shame when it's cancelled after it's filled about two or three trade paperbacks worth of material.

An other comic I liked was Iron Patriot #1, which just hits all the notes it's going for right. It's just a smart blend of character study and political intrigue, using the premise of a superhero comic, and it's just so fucking good at it it's gonna be a shame when it's cancelled after it's filled about two or three trade paperbacks worth of material.

Loved it too. Thought Brown was a little tighter when he was drawing The Massive, but I live in hope.

Filthy Slug

I picked that up (alongside Secret Avengers 1 finallythankfuck) solely because Kot is the writer. Kot has that power. Dude is an underground powerhouse.

Wait, is that a real book???

Filthy Slug

I just can't bring myself to spend $4 on an Iron Patriot book.

I feel you. I definitely hesitated, and I had a massive fucking pile, but then I though about Zero and how the dude that writes that deserves my attention and 4 dollars.

I mean, how much was Ghost Rider? The art is fantastic, yeah, but it wasn't a Tradd Moore art book, it's a fucking story, where a writer has to do some actual writing and storytelling and not just recycle every bad cliche into a 22 pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom