• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2013. Ghosts in friendly, vengeful, and gentlemanly varieties!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time he posts DC story speculation he finds to work in it being Twilight of the Superheroes related. Trinity War? Must be Twilight of the Superheroes! Forever Evil? More like forever twilight of heroes! It's so ridiculous.
Like I powted before, he still pushing a Batman weekly seriesspinning out of next years event, thirty minutes after Batman Eternal was announced. He didnt realize the announcement, fucking hilarious.

The closest anything got to Twilight of the Super Heroes was Kingdom Come and waid did a REALLY horrible job ripping it off. Twilight wasn't even that great a story concept anyway it was very similar to Dark Knight Returns and just made all the DCU characters sleezy and trashy which might have been appealing to Gen X'ers but not to anyone else.

At the end of Grant Morrison's Action Comics run, it talked about how Superman had died fighting Doomsday at some point in those first five years.

Not sure what this new Doomsday stuff is going to be. I still need to read that Doomsday villain issue as well as Superman/Wonder Woman.

Yeah I remember that but they've already retconned other stuff from the Nu52 and I wouldn't be surprised to see that as one of them.

Could totally be wrong though. Just wondering where they're going with him showing up now.

Batman 24 was the bees knees. awesomness

I have recently been getting into comics(loved comics when i was alot younger)

I want to get into some X-men books, ive always liked Wolverine alot,, theres quite a few to pick from tho... So where do i want to start??

I'd start with X-Men: Schism and go from there. Wolverine, there's Savage Wolverine which is an anthology series. It's not bad.

Avengers Arena #16:

So Nico and Chase are evil now? Not keen on that. I am an absolute wreck after that issue. And that last page, woah!

Eldren

Honestly though, why couldn't Black & White do this? Not all stories in that book are Batman Zombie. If there are interesting stories to tell about the Bat related characters in the current status quo of the universe between the main books, couldn't those same writers do it in there?

I know its 'Batman' and it'll sell, (and I'll likely buy a few issues because Snyder), I'd just rather see Synder do something else. There are a lot of DC characters I'd like to see his take on.

I'll be honest with you, I'm not reading Black & White so I can't give you an answer. The only thing I know about that book is that great cover Amanda Conner did for issue...3? 4? I can't remember.

Are those stories canon? Maybe that's why DC are making a new book. I've no idea to be honest, but I suspect you're right in that it's a safe bet it'll sell well.

JJD

Man I love Hickman, but seriously that Black Bolt vs. Thanos fight was ridiculous.

Thanos should have been atomized after that scream right in his face...

I'll be honest with you, I'm not reading Black & White so I can't give you an answer. The only thing I know about that book is that great cover Amanda Conner did for issue...3? 4? I can't remember.

Are those stories canon? Maybe that's why DC are making a new book. I've no idea to be honest, but I suspect you're right in that it's a safe bet it'll sell well.
The stories in B&W aren't in continuity; that's what makes them accessible. It doesn't make them good, mind you, but at least you don't have to be aware of New52 minutiae to read them.

kswiston

Man I love Hickman, but seriously that Black Bolt vs. Thanos fight was ridiculous.

Anything with Thanos can be explained away with a combination of super durability and might-as-well-be-magic tech.

MC Hammer popped in my head at the end of Infinity #4.

Was doing this around my apt:
1236681958_hammer-time.gif

kswiston

Honestly, i was surprised he was even that torn up. BB with that power upgrade

I suppose Thanos without any fancy relics is still strong enough to take on people like the Silver Surfer and Thor, who probably rank well above Black Bolt, even if BB is pretty strong.

Jetman

Oh, wow - had to go look that up, but I didn't know Amanda Conner was doing a cover ( I thinks its Issue 4 from what I just saw? ).Nice.
If you have room on your pull list you should definitely give B&W a chance. There was a piece by Uslan and Dave Bullock that dropped my jaw with how beautiful it was.

And like Spike said the stories aren't in continuity but most of them easily could be without too much resistance in my opinion. None of them have stretched 'DC Nu 52 reality' by the seams too much from what I can recall.

Helllls yeah... Got vol. 1&2 tp of Saga in the mail today (5$&7$) and issues #13 & #14.

Got Batman Black & White #1 & #2.. Looks awesome

And East of West vol. 1.. Curiousity

.... Chew vol. 1 is on the way as well. Love what I've read (just issue #1 so far)

I'd start with X-Men: Schism and go from there. Wolverine, there's Savage Wolverine which is an anthology series. It's not bad.

Avengers Arena #16:

So Nico and Chase are evil now? Not keen on that. I am an absolute wreck after that issue. And that last page, woah!

Goddamn I can't... Stop... Ordering shit haha

Ordered X-Men: Schism vol1 tpb and Savage Wolverine vol1 tpb.

Thanx for the suggestions

Goddamn I can't... Stop... Ordering shit haha

Ordered X-Men: Schism vol1 tpb and Savage Wolverine vol1 tpb.

Thanx for the suggestions

No problem

One more Wolverine rec, Old Man Logan is a great standalone read. Takes place in the distant future of the Marvel Universe but you don't need much background knowledge.

Before the other regulars jump on me, I know it's Mark Millar but I think it's some of his best work.

kswiston

yup. put it down and was like
jCuAEOFprCuzt_e.jpg

I have a feeling that the pace will keep up in the next two issues as well.
Earth is getting hit with Thanos, and incursion, and the arrival of the builder fleet all at once. Atlantis has fallen. Attilan has fallen. I have a feeling Wakanda is next. There seems to be a theme of Monarchs losing their kingdoms going on. I wonder if Doom gets involved in matters.

Eldren

Don't think this has been posted yet: Some more info about Detective Comics #27

Chris Burnham's cover said:

Scott Snyder & Sean Murphy
Paul Dini & Dustin Nguyen
Gregg Hurwitz & Neal Adams
John Layman & Jason Fabok (presumably; they're both mentioned separately but it makes sense.)
It also mentions Peter Tomasi writing one part of the anthology and Frank Miller will be drawing part, but it doesn't specify if they're the same thing.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
My ideal DC weekly series would be rotating stories wih booster gold , blue beetle, doom patrol and other c-list characters

Maybe what DC really needs is something like Dark Horse Presents. Multiple stories split across multiple issues. They can create a situation where people are sampling characters and stories. People will be drawn in to whatever sparks their established interests, but then they're likely to read the other stuff and potentially want to see more.

Maybe what DC really needs is something like Dark Horse Presents. Multiple stories split across multiple issues. They can create a situation where people are sampling characters and stories. People will be drawn in to whatever sparks their established interests, but then they're likely to read the other stuff and potentially want to see more.

Which is what Wednesday comcis was. That metal men comic was so good

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo

I am a huge Black Bolt fan, and while I do realize that in the end he was going to get his ass kicked by Thanos, I still would have enjoyed at least 2-3 more panels of Thanos getting a taste of his own medicine.

In relation to Black Bolt in comparison to Thor & Surfer, I put Black Bolt underneath both of them. Bolt is at least a "tier" above Ronan, but below the likes of Gladiator/Thor/Surfer.

God damn, Cap and Thor were so fucking boss in Infinity #4. This is the Hickman I expected in Avengers. Only took him writing them in another series for it to become reality.

kswiston

God damn, Cap and Thor were so fucking boss in Infinity #4. This is the Hickman I expected in Avengers. Only took him writing them in another series for it to become reality.

New Avengers had a lot of good moments. I really think that his attempt to have everything dove tail into Infinity lead to a lot of padding on Avengers proper.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
New Avengers had a lot of good moments. I really think that his attempt to have everything dove tail into Infinity lead to a lot of padding on Avengers proper.

It's the same thing that happened to ANXM. I did like a lot of the Avengers issues focusing on the new guys though.

Vibranium

Banned

Yep, I really like how Cap has been internalizing his personal Dimension Z problems and when he's doing the worldwide Avengers stuff he's all business without giving too much craps about what the worst case scenario could be. That's the character to a T, he's the steadfast professional during almost any end of the world scenario (we will forget Avengers vs. Xmen, Age of Ultron, Civil War and other blunders).

Thor has been off the chain lately, romancing all the ladies, destroying Builders and God Butchers, helping out the entire world on his downtime...freaking awesome.

Boogiepop

So, I picked up and just finished reading through the primary Hercules/Amadeus Cho run (the part starting around World War Hulk up through the New Prince of Power trade). I've heard that Chaos War sucks, which is a shame as it's looking from what I'm seeing like it would be the part to "wrap up" a lot of the build up and whatnot that the run has been doing. Is it really awful? Not even worth picking up to cap things off "properly?"

Also, is there much else for Hercules and Amadeus worth reading? Are they doing much in the Marvel Universe nowadays? I would definitely love some more if there's more worth reading...

You have to protect your copyright no matter what. If you let people randomly start using your intellectual property with out your permission is sets a bad precedent and undermines your copyright.

But there not makinf any money off it. they are just making it for fun!.

Truly spoken like a man who hasn't seen the Thanos vs Odin fight.

Thanos took full out shots from Odin with Gungnir and still got up. He's taken full force blasts from the surfer to the face and only gotten mildly annoyed.

Black bolt is bush league next to those two. He never had a prayer. Thanos' armor getting busted up is actually more than I was expecting there

Binged on X-Men #1-4. Really impressed with it so far. I really wasn't a huge fan of any the characters initially, besides psylocke (especially jubilee), but they definitely grew on me.

Read all my books this week. FBP and Astro City were kinda average this time. Cape books win this week.

1. Batman #24

2. Superman Wonder Woman
3. Suicide Squad
4. Green Lantern Corps
5. Coffin Hill, FE Arkham War, Batgirl tie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom