• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2013. Ghosts in friendly, vengeful, and gentlemanly varieties!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Unpopular opinion time, I can't stand Hawkeye, and never have. No matter what incarnation, no matter who's writing, he's the worst. And I'm alone on that, I'm sure.
jYn2it5FdP103_e.jpg

[I

Love this pic. Newsarama article with Paul Tobin is frustratingly vague though. No mention of artists, how long the project will be, and so on. As I mentioned last week, I am excited by the prospect of a witcher comic, and Dark Horse certianly has a stable of artists with the chops for such a book, but it really depends on the talent involved. I have no idea how Paul Tobin is as a writer, anyone a fan?

That's an awesome cover.
I recognize Gambit, Polaris, and Quicksilver. Who are the other two?
When I saw the blonde-haired one, my mind went to Doug Ramsey. The hooded one, I'm guessing, is the mastermind behind the team; the one who approached Lorna at the end of her story.

tim1138

When I saw the blonde-haired one, my mind went to Doug Ramsey. The hooded one, I'm guessing, is the mastermind behind the team; the one who approached Lorna at the end of her story.

I haven't read an issue of X-Factor since Multiple Man (or was it one of his dupes?) had the Legacy virus and died. Are Strong Guy and Wolfsbane still around? When did Doug come back from the dead?

I haven't read an issue of X-Factor since Multiple Man (or was it one of his dupes?) had the Legacy virus. Are Strong Guy and Wolfsbane still around? When did Doug come back from the dead?
Strong Guy died, came back without a soul, and became King of Hell after killing Wolfsbane's son. Wolfsbane quit X-Factor after her son died (well, she had quit before that to raise him but that's another story), and after having it out with Guido she ended up with John Maddox and training to become a deacon at his church. Doug came back during the Necrosha event along with a bunch of other dead mutants.

Original X-Men heading into space?
Yep, this was known. Supposedly a "The Trial of Jean Grey" storyline that crosses over with GotG; there was even a flash-forward panel in that book I think, that showed Jean and Peter standing just a little too close to each other.

And yeah, not a fan of the new costumes. I may end up dropping ANXM if the O5 are definitely out on their own, jumping from crossover to crossover and looking like that.

EDIT: Alright yeah, definitely not a fan. Here's another look:

You know who they look like? That one guy from Young Avengers. Speed, that's the one. And Mockingbird.

tim1138

Strong Guy died, came back without a soul, and became King of Hell after killing Wolfsbane's son. Wolfsbane quit X-Factor after her son died (well, she had quit before that to raise him but that's another story), and after having it out with Guido she ended up with John Maddox and training to become a deacon at his church. Doug came back during the Necrosha event along with a bunch of other dead mutants.

Alright then, quite a bit happened in those 20 years since I last read the book.
Is that guy Random still around? I remember having a friend who was obsessed with him when we were in middle school.

Alright then, quite a bit happened in those 20 years since I last read the book.
Is that guy Random still around? I remember having a friend who was obsessed with him when we were in middle school.

Long dead. Not coming back.

Edit: was thinking of someone else. Random is still active.

A bit mroe info from VG247 on the witcher comic:

It will be penned by Bandette writer Paul Tobin and art will be produced by Joe Querio with and covers by Dave Johnson.

Based on The Witcher games and the popular novels, the new adventure stars Geralt of Rivia as he is travelling near the edge of the Black Forest, in the land of the Angren.

There, he meets a widowed man whose dead and murderous wife resides in an eerie mansion known as the House of Glass. With its endless rooms and horror around every corner, Geralt will have to “use all his witcher prowess to solve the manor’s mystery and survive.”

Witcher #1 will be available for purchase March 19, 2014 in comic shops everywhere.

Click

Sounds interesting. Don't know much about Joe Querio, but a quick google shows some cool stuff. Still no idea on Tobin, Colder got ok reviews though. Hnnn. I reckon I'll hum and hah about this one until I see reviews, really got nothing to go on with the creative. They might be great, no idea though.

EDIT: You know, Querio did a Lobster Johnson story with Mignola, that will be collected in Feb, so I've not read it yet. The fact Mignola let him work on s book with him though, gives me a good feeling about the guy's storytelling ability.

Iceman can breathe in space?

Iceman is just ice. Doesn't need to breathe. For a while he was running around with a giant hole in his chest. No organs in ice form.

Teen bobby shouldn't yet know how to do that though, unless one of his older Variants ends up teaching him.

^wtf?? Cyclops??

Aren't covers at times misleading or something, probably not gonna happen

So Jean actually stays in the current timeline, past Xavier must be flipping out his students dissapeared

tim1138

Looks like I had better temper my new book announcement expectations for DC. Neither of the two writers (Johns and Sterling Gates) I am most interested in getting new books from appear to be in NYC this weekend. I know for sure Gates isn't and Johns isn't listed as being on any of the panels. Lame.

Looks like I had better temper my new book announcement expectations for DC. Neither of the two writers (Johns and Sterling Gates) I am most interested in getting new books from appear to be in NYC this weekend. I know for sure Gates isn't and Johns isn't listed as being on any of the panels. Lame.
Last year they didnt announce shit. I bet Batman Eternal is the only major announcement.

tim1138

Last year they didnt announce shit. I bet Batman Eternal is the only major announcement.

Didn't they announce JLA, Katana, Vibe, and Lemire/Sorrentino taking over GA last year?

You're probably right though, that Batman announcement is probably it.

-edit-

Johns confirmed on Twitter he's not at NYCC. I can safely ignore it now.

Didn't they announce JLA, Katana, Vibe, and Lemire/Sorrentino taking over GA last year?

You're probably right though, that Batman announcement is probably it.

-edit-

Johns confirmed on Twitter he's not at NYCC. I can safely ignore it now.
No. Those were announced in November, I remember because I saw Wreck It Raplh that day and I felt like I was superstar of the world.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Jeff Lemire's next OGN arrives in 2015.

Simon & Schuster acquires new graphic novel from New York Times bestselling author Jeff Lemire

New York, NY, Toronto, Ontario—October 10, 2013—Jeff Lemire, the award-winning, New York Times–bestselling author of Essex County and The Underwater Welder, will publish Roughneck, a new graphic novel, with Simon & Schuster and Simon & Schuster Canada, it was announced today. This literary graphic novel follows the story of a former hockey player forced to face his demons and reconnect with his Cree heritage when his troubled sister comes running home to the remote northern town where he now lives. Roughneck will be published in 2015.

Derek is a former hockey tough guy whose quick rise to the NHL was cut short when a brutal on-ice incident left him banned from professional hockey for life. Now, four years later, Derek has returned to Black River, his hometown in Northern Ontario, not far from the Moose Cree First Nation, where his mother grew up. Derek’s slide into alcoholism and depression is interrupted when his long-lost sister, Annie, returns home trailing a violent ex-boyfriend. Together, the two escape to the woods, where they struggle to reconnect with the traditions of their Cree ancestors in order to escape their past and gain redemption.

Brit Hvide of Simon & Schuster acquired world English rights from Charlie Olsen of Inkwell Management.

Ms. Hvide commented, “We’re absolutely honoured to be publishing Roughneck. It’s a story about cycles—the way patterns, memories, and people return to us, again and again, whether we want them to or not. Jeff is one of those unique storytellers whose books speak to readers across all genres, and we think that Roughneck will be his finest work yet.”

Kevin Hanson, Publisher of Simon & Schuster Canada, commented, “We are thrilled to add Jeff to our emerging list. His graphic novels are inspiringly original and explore ideas that are deeply Canadian.”

Jeff Lemire is the New York Times-bestselling creator of the acclaimed graphic novels Sweet Tooth, Essex County, and The Underwater Welder and the sci-fi love story Trillium. Jeff is also a prominent writer for DC Comics, where he currently writes the monthly adventures of Green Arrow and Justice League of America. He has also written the monthly adventures of Superboy, Animal Man, and The Atom, among many others. In 2008 and 2013, Jeff won the Shuster Award for Best Canadian Cartoonist. He has also received The Doug Wright Award for Best Emerging Talent and the American Library Association’s prestigious Alex Award, recognizing books for adults with specific teen appeal. He has also been nominated for 7 Eisner awards, 7 Harvey Awards, and 8 Shuster Awards. In 2010, Essex County was named as one of the five Essential Canadian Novels of the Decade by the CBC. He currently lives and works in Toronto with his wife and son.

^wtf?? Cyclops??

Aren't covers at times misleading or something, probably not gonna happen

So Jean actually stays in the current timeline, past Xavier must be flipping out his students dissapeared

This will totally be a thing where she jumps into his arms/face for an unexpected kiss. Of course, there will still be repercussions, but it looks like a surprise kiss to me.

That new Jeff Lemire OGN sounds amazing. I am so there. In a perfect world, Lemire would focus all his energies toward creator-owned works. But the man wants a good corporate job; I can't blame him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom