• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2013. Ghosts in friendly, vengeful, and gentlemanly varieties!

Status
Not open for further replies.
NYCC 2013: MARVEL: Amazing X-Men & The Marvel Universe LIVE
The "Wrath" teaser is for Richard Isanove, who is taking over Savage Wolverine with #14.NOW in January. It takes place in the 30s, with "everything you know and love for Wolverine, Vengeance, Betrayal, all that amazing stuff," said Schaeffer.

"Judgement" and "Trial" refer to "The Trial of Jean Grey," a crossover in All-New X-Men and Guardians of the Galaxy starting in January. "This is the first time we're saying, the original X-Men will be sticking around after Battle of the Atom, but I can't tell you how." It's a six-issue story, three issues of each book.

Lowe showed the "Sinners" teaser, which was teasing Ghost Rider joining Thunderbolts. Soule confirmed it's Johnny Blaze, and "putting him on the team was a natural fit. The Thunderbolts have a huge problem to solve, and they think he's the guy who can get it done." The title of the arc is "No Mercy," and it starts with #20.NOW in January 2014. "There's a character on the team named Mercy, so that title may have more than one meaning!"

All-New X-Factor was the “Corporate” teaser with Peter David. It’s a “very different take on X-Factor,” Lowe teased. David thanked people for coming to an early panel. “My work tends to stay rooted in the real world, aside from occasional battles with hell. In the real world, the Corporate presence is everywhere. I thought about it, and why wouldn't a corporation get into a team of superheroes? So I created Serval Industries, a company that started out by creating the largest search engine in the Marvel Universe, and decides to create a superhero team. He bought the name X-Factor off Jamie Madrox, and is assembling a team. He brought Polaris on, and the two other members in issue 1 are Quicksilver and Gambit, which will be fun for me, cause I've never written Gambit! There are three other members of the team, but I am not allowed to tell you yet."

Reading batman night of the owls. So good.
First time I'm properly reading comics in ages.

You're in for a good run. Batman has been consistently top tier since Snyder took over. If you've been enjoying that I'd also suggest you consider Batman and Robin. Tomasi hasn't knocked it out of the park quite the same way but he is also a writer you can expect quality from.

tim1138

Dunno if anyone is sticking with Earth 2 now that Robinson is gone, but DC spoiled the identity of the new Batman in a tweet earlier today. It's
Thomas Wayne
and Robinson confirmed in a later tweet that was his original plan for the character.

Dunno if anyone is sticking with Earth 2 now that Robinson is gone, but DC spoiled the identity of the new Batman in a tweet earlier today. It's
Thomas Wayne
and Robinson confirmed in a later tweet that was his original plan for the character.

Haven't had the chance to read Earth 2 but I love me some
Thomas Wayne

Thomas Wayne

Tom Taylor is like, DC's go to guy, for
Evil Superman
at this point. He managed to make Injustice, a book that by all accounts should have been terrible, one of the best of their catalog and a premier digital first title. I look forward to what world building he has in store; Earth 2 is just the book for him, not being bound to predetermined canon like Injustice.

Owzers

Arrow season 1 got added to netflix, should i watch that since i never have, or jump into season 2?

Also, is the show as bad as Smallville? Goofy teen drama without any compelling plot build? Do people get knocked out all the time so they don't catch on to who the arrow is?

Arrow season 1 got added to netflix, should i watch that since i never have, or jump into season 2?

I'd suggest you watch season 1. First few episodes are the roughest of the series but it builds on itself and pays in dividends; Also, season 2's opening episode makes way more sense with all of the events of the first season justifying the direction that the show is going. It's a CW show so you're going to get some measure of interpersonal drama, but it definitely does not lack for plot building; The entire first season is building up towards something, both in present and in flashbacks.

Owzers

I'd suggest you watch season 1. First few episodes are the roughest of the series but it builds on itself and pays in dividends; Also, season 2's opening episode makes way more sense with all of the events of the first season justifying the direction that the show is going. It's a CW show so you're going to get some measure of interpersonal drama, but it definitely does not lack for plot building; The entire first season is building up towards something, both in present and in flashbacks.

Thanks, i'll give season 1 a try instead of jumping to the new stuff.

tim1138

Tom Taylor is like, DC's go to guy, for
Evil Superman
at this point. He managed to make Injustice, a book that by all accounts should have been terrible, one of the best of their catalog and a premier digital first title. I look forward to what world building he has in store; Earth 2 is just the book for him, not being bound to predetermined canon like Injustice.

Man when people were talking about how good the Injustice comic was I thought they were being ironic. I bought the first few issues of that and thought it was absolutely terrible. Good for Taylor for being promoted to the bigs, but Earth 2 ended with issue 16 for me. I think it was Rafa who made the point that all Earth 2 is doing now is telling an alternate version of Forever Evil.

Vyer

I (and my N7) much appreciate the updated HD Comixology app, but man it still feels like a big phone app unfortunately. Still much prefer the iOS tablet version.

Man when people were talking about how good the Injustice comic was I thought they were being ironic. I bought the first few issues of that and thought it was absolutely terrible. Good for Taylor for being promoted to the bigs, but Earth 2 ended with issue 16 for me. I think it was Rafa who made the point that all Earth 2 is doing now is telling an alternate version of Forever Evil.

I suppose we see different on a few things; Ex: I think that the current runs of the GL titles are very good and the Light's Out event is currently two for two on quality issues. I'm not sure I see the comparison to Forever Evil, however; We knew the entire time that Earth 2 had suffered more during the war with Apokolips than Earth Prime did. On Earth Prime, the invasion was essentially stopped at the beachhead, where Earth 2 had a five plus year slog to defeat them and bear the scars of that (also the boons, from the tech they gained from it). Some elements of Apokolips remained, yes, but if the only comparison is
Brutal, i.e. Son of Darkseid Superman and Fury(?), especially Fury as she isn't a corrupted hero,
then I'm just not seeing it.

tim1138

I suppose we see different on a few things; Ex: I think that the current runs of the GL titles are very good and the Light's Out event is currently two for two on quality issues. I'm not sure I see the comparison to Forever Evil, however; We knew the entire time that Earth 2 had suffered more during the war with Apokolips than Earth Prime did. On Earth Prime, the invasion was essentially stopped at the beachhead, where Earth 2 had a five plus year slog to defeat them and bear the scars of that (also the boons, from the tech they gained from it). Some elements of Apokolips remained, yes, but if the only comparison is
Brutal, i.e. Son of Darkseid Superman and Fury(?), especially Fury as she isn't a corrupted hero,
then I'm just not seeing it.

You're kind of overthinking the FE comparisons:
evil version of Superman shows up and wrecks shit and attempts to take over the world

I really liked the world Robinson was building, it was very cohesive (other than Hawkgirl's name randomly changing from Kendra to Shiera with no explanation given) and you could tell he was planning big things. If Taylor's run gets good reviews, I'm sure I'll check it out in 2017 when its released in trade, but for the time being its been removed from my list.

And for the record, my only complaint about the current GL run was how quick it seemed like they were retconning some of my favorite stuff from Johns. Which is all based off hearsay as I dropped the whole line after issue 20. I really have no interest in a non Johns driven GL, nothing against Vendetti and company, just the way it goes.

I am super stoked for Jeff Parker's run on Aquaman to start though, I like what he's said he has in mind for the book.

Boom
lrkrtwl.jpg

Wool

Just got around to reading East of West #5 and #6. Sooo good.
Texas Rangers on the case
. I also just read Saga #13 and #14 and they were alright. Set up issues I guess.

NYCC 2013: Marvel: AVENGERS Panel LIVE! rundown:

Going to the teasers, "Mindbubble" is the next arc for Captain America, starting with #16.NOW. Dr. Mindbubble is a product of the "Weapon Minus" program, who was developed just to kill supersoldiers.

"Extinction" is the next arc on Avengers A.I. with #8.NOW. Sankovitch teased the story, which will have humanity ending and a total robot takeover. Check out our exclusive interview with Humphries for more.

"Frenemies" Kot takes over Secret Avengers with a new #1 in March 2014, and calls it "Michael Bay meets Arrested Development." Spider-Woman will be on the team, alongside Hawkeye, Black Widow, Coulson, and Nick Fury. "There's a special member who will be joining," they also teased.

"Global" was for Avengers World #1, a new ongoing co-written by Hickman and Spencer, though Brevoort said it's mostly Spencer. Spencer said it's "the biggest book I've ever worked on," and expressed his enthusiasm. Again, consult our exclusive interview!

"Descent" Avengers: Undercover #1 hits in February 2014, starring some of the kids from Avengers Arena, as undercover agents in the Masters of Evil, from Hopeless.

"Truth" Al Ewing is writing a new ongoing series: Loki: Agent of Asgard #1, where he promises "we will always lie to you. We will trick you, every single issue."

“Atonement” is in fact Black Widow #1 with art by Phil Noto and written by Nathan Edmundson. The editors promised it will take you to “new depths” of the Marvel Universe.

Vibranium

Banned
Ooh, the Loki series by Al Ewing sounds so cool, will pick it up on Day 1. Even without Iron Fist on the radar, I'm pretty excited by this.

Can't wait for Black Widow, wonder what places Natasha will be taken. Another arc in Russia would be nice, people get bored of it but as long as there is a new hook it could be cool.

And yay at Secret Avengers being taken over by Kot, I can pretty much not feel guilty about it anymore except for Fake Fury.

Vibranium

Banned
Told you fuckers that Atonement was likely Black Widow!

Yep, I started believing in it after you guys started saying that and what do you know, you're geniuses! We'll wait for the next announcements to see if anyone called anything else I guess.

Please let Assassin be Winter Soldier, please let Assassin be Winter Soldier....

Vibranium

Banned
Thank you~

And nooo, Hickman! (He'll still be mainly writing New Avengers, right?)

EDIT: Wait, Avengers World and Avengers are two separate books? Don't we have enough Avengers books, Marvel?

Yes, they are two seperate books. Hickman is writing New Avengers and Avengers still, and will be co-writing Avengers World with Spencer.

And yeah, we have too many Avengers books, but Marvel feels they can make more money off doing this so they will make it so.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Thank you~

And nooo, Hickman! (He'll still be mainly writing New Avengers, right?)

EDIT: Wait, Avengers World and Avengers are two separate books? Don't we have enough Avengers books, Marvel?

Apparently they felt they could fit one more in there :lol

Reading batman night of the owls. So good.
First time I'm properly reading comics in ages.

I've been reading the first Talon trade. Not quite on the level of Snyder's Batman, but it's a little lighter in tone which balances it out a bit. So if you really dig the owls stuff and want more when you're done, I'd give it a look at least, surprised how much I dug it, I'd put it above my girlfriend's nu52 Batman & Robin and Nightwing trades as a reference point.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I've been reading the first Talon trade. Not quite on the level of Snyder's Batman, but it's a little lighter in tone which balances it out a bit. So if you really dig the owls stuff and want more when you're done, I'd give it a look at least, surprised how much I dug it, I'd put it above my girlfriend's nu52 Batman & Robin and Nightwing trades as a reference point.

I know, which is why it's a shame the art suffers so much after the first trade.

Can someone explain to me the point of Avengers World? Other than to just add another Avengers title to the shelves to sell. I mean it's the exact same lineup as regular Avengers and tieing into the same stories. Only difference is Nick Spencer is writing (who from what I have heard is a terrible writer) and he just runs his ideas and plans by Hickman to make sure everything meshes with the main avengers book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom