• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2013. Ghosts in friendly, vengeful, and gentlemanly varieties!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tm24

Im still convinced the majority of love for Gambit as a while can be summed up in two words

KINETIC CARD!

(I was one of those people. Forgive me!)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Buffy season 10 deets!!!

1381272622.jpg

tumblr_mujl73MkZs1snj0bfo1_1280.jpg

Since 2007, Dark Horse Comics has provided readers with the canonical continuation of Buffy the Vampire Slayer's trials and tribulations in the fight against the forces of evil. "Buffy" is about to begin its tenth season adventures, with "Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 10" launching in March 2014 by previous "Angel & Faith" creative team Christos Gage and Rebekah Isaacs, while a new volume of "Angel & Faith" hits in April 2014 helmed by writer Victor Gischler with art by Will Conrad.

The Angel & Faith guys!!

"'Season 9' was different than 'Season 8' in that we got it focused on the core characters, eliminating a lot of the big world-shaking, army stuff," Allie continued. "We focused on the characters, but we also split the characters apart. 'Season 10' won't just be about us bringing them back together -- it'll be about them actively bringing themselves back together. The outcome of 'Season 9,' both in 'Angel & Faith' and in 'Buffy,' brings magic back, but it takes it all down a notch, and messes with the vampire thing in a way that makes it all a challenge again, but a challenge they can engage with on a very personal level."

Bringing everyone together!!
AU7Amsc.gif

Not sure if it's been posted here yet but Snyder confirmed stephanie brown is returning to the DCU in a big way. She's one of the main characters in batman eternal.

Just get them all up to issue 75 Cuz after that the book heads downhill

Definitely the majority opinion on the book, but the total opposite of what my girlfriend thinks of the fable books. She's read them all, and read from the start, but it was really once they moved beyond #75 and that original driving point of the book, that she fell really in love with it, she was never too into the whole
geppetto
thing, and enjoyed the book more for the characters and subplots around that.

Having read them myself casually each time she's done with a volume, I don't feel strongly either way. I wouldn't say it's any worse or better post #75. The book is defined by Willingham's writing and I don't think it's wavered much at all. All the same positives, all the same negatives. I kind of feel once you've read the first two trades, you can peg whether or not you'll like everything that'll come after.

Like I said, I see alot of people say it gets worse past #75, figured it was worth chiming in though since I've never really been able to see that.

Tizoc

What's Batman Eternal gonna be about?

Not much for me this week outside of TF: Robots in Disguise 21 and Chew 37
I hate waiting for Chew @_@

What's Batman Eternal gonna be about?

Effectively the going ons of Batman and Gotham's residents in the present day while Snyder is spending time in the past with the main book in Zero Year. They've said it might vary from focusing on Batman himself, the GCPD, stories from the POV of some of the bat books support casts, even vary in genre depending on the writer and what story he wants to tell. Whatever the book sets up is what Snyder is coming back to when Zero Year is over.

I really like the look of this project Bad Blood that dark horse have announced. Mini-series from Jonathan Maberry and Tyler Crook, who I absolutely love. He does great work on the BPRD and really went above and beyond with his work on the graphic novel Petrograd. Not sure about Maberry, but they mention he's a bramstoker award winner.

Click

Also thought I'd share, my girlfriend got me the last volume of Sweet Tooth, so I can finally sit down and read the series beginning to end. Originally I'd read through to volume 4, but when I bought volume 5 I thought fuck it, I'll hold off and I'll be able to consume the entire last year fresh when I get the final book. So that's the aim this weekend, in addition to beginning Doctor Sleep, mad excited about that.

This whole we have to get bigger shit from Hickman results into a world team of the Avengers. Da fuck? The book was never titled Avengers of America, being a world team(NYC) was always understood. Thought it would be a universe team or aomething. Though I know Bendis is trying to push the GoTG there, just gotta put Luke Cage on there first.

This whole we have to get bigger shit from Hickman results into a world team of the Avengers. Da fuck? The book was never titled Avengers of America, being a world team(NYC) was always understood. Thought it would be a universe team or aomething. Though I know Bendis is trying to push the GoTG there, just gotta put Luke Cage on there first.

There were still a handful of Marvel characters who weren't Avengers. This should rectify that.

Eldren

My copy of Saga volume 2 arrived yesterday and wow, this is a good looking series. Did someone here say that had the cover to issue #8 as a poster? I can see why, that cover is stunning. Where did you get it? (If I didn't imagine someone saying that they had it.) I skimmed through the first issue and I can definitely tell I'm going to like it.

Also I decided to buy the first Fatale trade today. It was only about £7 and it looks great so I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

I'm currently reading the first Invincible Iron Man Omnibus (I'm not too far into it, I only finished issue #4 last night) and so far it's really good. There's something a bit odd about the art - I can't tell if it's the line work or the colours, although I suspect the latter because the covers look great - but the characters' faces look slightly off. It's not a big deal but it's just a bit jarring at first. That said, I really like the way the armour looks, and the view inside the helmet is cool. I like the dialogue and Ezekiel makes a very interesting villain, as well as a great foil for Tony. It's good stuff.

There were still a handful of Marvel characters who weren't Avengers. This should rectify that.
I don't understand why there are three overlapping Avengers books. I look at the cover and see no distinction, why does this team exist? If they are truly global why the fuck are most of those brahs all from NYC? They lettin' more brahs in than the Arizona border.

I mean where are my initiative brahs at? Marvel dropped the ball with that, there were a lot of characters they could've made into stars....

Necrovex

So I completed up to Ultimate Volume 5 of Invincible. This superhero comic is simply amazing. I am loving the art more and more by the issue too. How is the later stuff?

Also planning to get Fable volume 1 from the library in a few days. Excited to finally read it.

Owzers

So I completed up to Ultimate Volume 5 of Invincible. This superhero comic is simply amazing. I am loving the art more and more by the issue too. How is the later stuff?

Also planning to get Fable volume 1 from the library in a few days. Excited to finally read it.

Good times ahead for you, Invincible doesn't drop off in quality.

Also I decided to buy the first Fatale trade today. It was only about £7 and it looks great so I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

Really good choice there. It really is Brubaker continuing the fantastic work he did in Criminal but mixing in horror and supernatural as he examines the femme fatale motif. He did something similar with Incognito and mixing in superheroics but imo Fatale is leagues above Incognito.

Batman was fantastic this week. The thing was the size of a Marbel OGN.

Rocket Girl was alright. The art was incredible as always but this Montclare guy cannot write at all. Her reason in going back in time was not explicit or compelling enough. And why the cops giving the broad a full report? That was a Noccenti moment. And what do they both have in common? Former editors.

And Tim, I feel you with that Earth 2 brah. It was me who said it was a reteeling of FE.

Sblargh

Banned
Fearless Defenders was awesome this week. I really like the new character and the team is really growing on me.
Also love that Titania and Shriek is back for some reason.

And I'm a complete Infinity fanboy at this point. Goddamn this last issue.

Art Baltazar and Franco just tweeted that they will be making more Tiny Titans.

I know that's a popular one for Baltazar and Franco fans.

Edit: Gail Simone tweeted this: "Boy, the Avengers have a lot of books now." -- Batman

Eldren

Really good choice there. It really is Brubaker continuing the fantastic work he did in Criminal but mixing in horror and supernatural as he examines the femme fatale motif. He did something similar with Incognito and mixing in superheroics but imo Fatale is leagues above Incognito.

Man I still need to read Criminal. (And Sleeper. And Incognito. They're on the list...) I've heard it's really really good. Plus you can get Deluxe Edition Book One and Book Two on Amazon for a total of about £40 if I buy from sellers, which seems like great value. I'm holding off on them for now because I have so much other stuff to read but it's so tempting...

Blader

Not sure about Avengers World. A year ago, I'd be onboard for anything Hickman no matter what. But his Avengers run - and the Avengers half of Infinity - has been fairly dull, and the fact this book is also being co-written by Spencer means that World probably won't be any better.

(conversely, New Avengers and its half of Infinity are fucking great. Maybe the sole Hickman writing credit is the difference?)

Not sure about Avengers World. A year ago, I'd be onboard for anything Hickman no matter what. But his Avengers run - and the Avengers half of Infinity - has been fairly dull, and the fact this book is also being co-written by Spencer means that World probably won't be any better.

(conversely, New Avengers and its half of Infinity are fucking great. Maybe the sole Hickman writing credit is the difference?)

Maybe. Hickman is "co-writing" an Avatar series now called God is Dead that appears to be almost universally loathed.

Man I still need to read Criminal. (And Sleeper. And Incognito. They're on the list...) I've heard it's really really good. Plus you can get Deluxe Edition Book One and Book Two on Amazon for a total of about £40 if I buy from sellers, which seems like great value. I'm holding off on them for now because I have so much other stuff to read but it's so tempting...

If you like crime comics it really is an absolute peak in his work. I love everything else he does, but Criminal takes the cake. Fatale opens itself to some super tough competition by delving into the horror genre (Locke and Key & American Vampire, I'm looking at you) but Criminal is peerless compared to other crime books. EDIT: Ahhh, and then I remember Scalped. Okay ,well, Scalped gives Criminal a run for its money, but both are doing very different things. Scalped is an epic 10 vol. opus, Criminal manages to nail you to the wall every time with the space of 4-5 issues.

Personally, I would leave Incognito for if you ever manage to get through the rest of his stuff and your violently craving more, it just never clicked for me on the same level as the rest.

Sblargh

Banned

I don't think it's dull, if anything, there is a problem of too much information. Too many new characters with huge cosmic powers. So it's easy to tune out.

But... and I'm not sure this is a compliment... on hindsight and collected, I think we will be able to see how much is going on.

I really like his pacing, and I'm not usually a fan of arcs that lasts too many months.

NYCC LIVE: "INHUMANITY" AND ALL-NEW MARVEL NOW! PANEL

Brevoort asks the crowd what they think the "Defend" teaser was promoting: It's "Iron Patriot," written by Ales Kot and illustrated by Garry Brown, and starting in March 2014. The announcement gets a loud reaction. "Rhodey's been a Secret Avenger, he's done a lot of global special ops missions, and he gets fed up with it." The series is about James Rhodes becoming his own man, away from Iron Man, Paniccia says.

Next announcement, tied to the "Overdrive" teaser: "Ghost Rider," starting in March 2014 from writer Felipe Smith and artist Tradd Moore; getting another warm reaction. Paniccia says there's not much he can say about it at this point, but it's completely different take on the character than what fans have seen before.

Paying off the "Rad!" teaser, it's, as expected, promoting "Silver Surfer" from Dan Slott and artist Mike Allred, also starting in March 2014. Crowd is pleased. "When I was growing up, the first superhero comic I ever read was 'The Galactus Trilogy," Slott said. "Surfer's like the first Marvel hero I ever met."

Acid08

Banned
Tradd Moore drawing Ghost Rider sounds fucking ridiculous.

And Allred drawing cosmic stuff just sounds like the greatest thing ever.

Sblargh

Banned
In practice, how does an Inhuman differs from a Mutant?

"Hey, I just got this power and there is this well stablished school with good ties with the avengers that has experience teaching young people how to live like this in modern society, but since my powers came from other equally unpredictable source, I'm supposed to be subjected to a monarchy and live hidden around the world with these people whose culture has absolutely nothing to do with me.
Sounds fair"

Edit:
I'm reading about Avengers World and thinking that it could be a plataform to invite foreigner writers to write short marvel superheroes stories. Something like A+X in nature, but more like A+The_Rest_Of_The_World.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Anyone here read Vertigo's Fable?

I'm currently playing a game based on the comic and is the comic worth a damn?

Yes. It's absolutely incredible up to around issue 76/7, after the war and all that. Some of the most satisfying moments in any series I've ever come across. After that the story kind of just doggy paddles around.

Vibranium

Banned
Holy cow, I'm going to pick up Ghost Rider and Iron Patriot so badly, can't wait. Silver Surfer sounds awesome too, I'll have to make some serious choices on my pull list. I called Overdrive, god I'm so happy GR is back (I don't care if it's not Blaze since a new character sounds great, I know Johnny's in Thunderbolts now though).

Has the "Assassin" teaser been revealed yet? Even if Bucky isn't getting his own book (which I'm ok with) I'd just like confirmation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom