• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord bombs on Steam with less than 1k players on launch day

S0ULZB0URNE

Twas a joke my man.

You go free to play you have to monetize it somehow, i cant see many people buying skins as it stands, hence the weight loss jabs joke (for your concord avatar, not your avatar now i read it back lol). I'll see myself out.
eFPZl4p.gif

I got you it's all good.

clarky

Gold Member
8 years means nothing unless you know the dev count. Until the last few years it was low
Im not from the states, would you say this statement is incorrect then? I was asking about how he arrived at 100milion for 2 years graft on Concord.

Sure thing, Seattle is a top 10 most expensive city in the US, and Sony are paying to employ 170 ostensibly skilled professionals who are in high demand that they have to both poach and fend off poaches from. The average coastal US game dev salary exceeds $150k/year in salary alone, the actual costs to the business is way higher than that. They also have to pay mountains of premium benefits on every single head (i.e. platinum family insurance plans, cellphone plans, work from home internet plans, luxury car leases for the C-suites, etc...), mountains of state and federal employee taxes on every single head, and lease a luxury office studio with artisanal juice bars, meditation corners, and fine dining lunch caters. Then millions upon millions more in miscellaneous overhead like farms of high end computers/monitors, Herman Miller chairs/desks throughout, utilities, office supplies, toilet paper, etc... How much exactly do you think all that costs, a couple million a year? How else do you think Miles Morales, a 4 hour long DLC that reused every single assets within, cost $150,000,000 to produce?

Last edited:
Yes he absolutely is wrong on multiple assumptions

IIRC companies usually use 3x salary as the actual employee cost. So 50M a year is not unrealistic. It's just a question of how long the employee count has been high.

Like I'm wondering if they will skip the F2P and just refund everyone's money.

Im not from the states, would you say this statement is incorrect then? I was asking about how he arrived at 100milion for 2 years graft on Concord.

That's a ridiculous overestimation. $150k isn't for a game dev, it's for highly senior lead engineers/directors. The typical grunt doing sound, visuals, programming, QA etc won't reach anywhere near that

Last edited:
IIRC companies usually use 3x salary as the actual employee cost. So 50M a year is not unrealistic. It's just a question of how long the employee count has been high.

Like I'm wondering if they will skip the F2P and just refund everyone's money.

Not in low overhead businesses, and the average base salary is way off

clarky

Gold Member
That's a ridiculous overestimation. $150k isn't for a game dev, it's for highly senior lead engineers/directors. The typical grunt doing sound, visuals, programming, QA etc won't reach anywhere near that

Not in low overhead businesses, and the average base salary is way off
I thought it was a little extreme also but got shot down instantly.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Concord isn’t some massive AAA production bro

Firewalk is home to a remarkably talented team of creatives who have launched some of gaming’s most celebrated experiences, and they’re already hard at work on their first original AAA multiplayer game for PlayStation.

Family Feud Lol GIF by Steve Harvey

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yeah the production values are top notch ill give it that. The animations on the character select screen are slick AF. Must have cost a pretty penny.
I agree. The technical aspects of it seem pretty good. Arguably the most polished looking character select screen I've seen in a shooter. Problem is the character art style is a turn off with cringey one liners. And the map visuals (though probably fine technically) have an ugly pastel look to it.

Not too many games have muted colour palettes. No doubt due to it being unappealing. Maybe a random indie game can get away with it as part of the charm. But not in shooters. People want either gritty soldier games, or boldly coloured whiz bang OW or Destiny sci fi art.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
No, just you not understanding basic logic of what I was saying

Do you think concord cost $300M to make?

I don't know how much Concord cost to make. You don't know how much Concord cost to make.

AAA is a catch-all for games with high budget and production values, the publisher itself describes it as an AAA title. Other than the sheer development budget of the game, those CGI shorts that they put out, and will continue to put out, are not cheap. A studio like Blur costs $1m per minute of CGI. Between all the above and marketing the game, it's a very safe bet that it has cost a very decent amount.

Sony wouldn't outright call it an AAA game themselves otherwise.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't know how much Concord cost to make. You don't know how much Concord cost to make.

AAA is a catch-all for games with high budget and production values, the publisher itself describes it as an AAA title. Other than the sheer development budget of the game, those CGI shorts that they put out, and will continue to put out, are not cheap. A studio like Blur costs $1m per minute of CGI. Between all the above and marketing the game, it's a very safe bet that it has cost a very decent amount.

Sony wouldn't outright call it an AAA game themselves otherwise.
Add in the cost of Sony buying the studio too.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So this years call of duty game cost 70B to make?

Aren’t supposedly in finance? What a joke
Big difference.

Activision is still making tons of sales and profits, so the cost of acquisition will hold.

Firewalk (similar to Bungie) is on a giant downhill slope. Their value right now is a fraction of $3.6B (Bungie) and whatever Sony paid to acquire FW. FW might even be shut down after Concord.

Last edited:
Top Bottom