• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord bombs on Steam with less than 1k players on launch day

kaizenkko

The only thing I can think of *why* Sony actually bought the studio was because they could see that the people were capable of creating a very polished & competent FPS and Sony wanted to lock that talent down regardless of this first game. But yeah as a game this is not successful and no amount of coping will make it so.
I don't think that's the case here. Jim Ryan idea was to put a lot of teams developing live service games. If some of these games succeed, it's ok to have some completly failures like Concord.

But obviously things don't went as planned.

Naughty Dog live service game: canceled and layofs at the studio.
Insomniac live service game: canceled and layofs at the studio.
Firesprite live service game: canceled and layofs at the studio.
London Studio live service game: canceled and the studio was shut down.

Plus you can count things like Destruction All Stars and Deviation Game's project. Oh, and all that money with Bungie.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

The Simpsons GIF

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
Japan Studio. Evolution Studio. Team Soho. All multi-million dollar franchise studios closed to buy this crap studio and Bungie.
They were closed because they themselves weren't successful.

I think the reason could be rather simple; Sony was desperate for some DEI in their portfolio.
That's not it. They wanted a shortcut to a GaaS pipeline. It just so happens that every other startup rinky disk studio staffed by arch leftists is going after GaaS shit, and going hard. As much as they might like communism, they understand that that's where the money is. Especially since the aesthetics and themes they want to inject slip by much easier in live service titles.

Riot and Blizzard are proof enough.

Depends on the studio.

Black Myth studio doesnt seem to care about GAAS mania. They got a hot selling and nicely reviewed game. And all they did was do a souls-like action game (not innovative) but fuse it with Chinese mythology (something interesting and different). Doesnt seem like any DEI attitude either.
They are benefitting from the same kind of identity politics DEI seeks to leverage, just in the "opposite" direction. If you think that the exact same game coming out of a Japanese or Western studio would make this level of bank (majorly) due to Chinese gamers, you don't understand what's going on.

anti woke crew is having the time of their life (wukong drama + the acolyte cancelation + dustborn and Concord's faliures)
i hope this flop is humiliating enough for Sony to staph pandering to an audience that dosen't exists.
There's no quick fix for that. The kind of "modern audience" argument we've heard isn't one that comes from corporate, it comes from below and within. It'll be easy enough to identify they most virulent ideologues, but at this point, it's hard not to come to the conclusion that the majority of game devs lean left.

Sure, the Acolyte bombed ridiculously, but it's not the first project out of Lucasfilm or Disney that pushed the idpol button. They haven't changed direction in 10 years. If anything, they've doubled down.

clarky

Gold Member
250+ full time employees continuously is far more than Concord ever had over the duration of the project relative to something that took nearly 5 years in Ragnarok
No doubt that you are correct, however apart from them having around 170 employees for the last couple of years, we just don't know the staffing levels through out the last 7-8 years.

MiguelItUp

There’s different levels, depending on the fanboy that responds.
It's really weird to me. I'm not a fanboy of anything at all. I don't understand the concept of defending anything. Especially a game like this just because of Sony or whatever. No studio cares about you the way you care about them, what a waste, lol.

This acquisition was clearly not the best decision, nor was this project. Mistakes happen, and it's clear that's what this game was and is. Maybe they can turn the tide, but I really don't think they can. Even if the game went F2P, I could see it bringing in SOME more players. But the game needs a massive rework, because right now the majority think it's "fine", and it should've been more than that. Especially for a paid product.

Last edited:
So the lead designer at FW is lying? Maybe he is. Studio was officially formed in 2018. Doesn't mean the game wasnt already under prelim dev before that.

He's probably repeating what he was told, which was the game started by one guy in a basement 8 years ago. The point is the development cost from year 8 to 7 is irrelevant

dottme

Is this one of the first party flops ever?
I kind of follow it because it’s a huge flops. Often, publishers know early a game will fail and they reduce marketing. which make the game fail even more.
but in this case, their marketing team is all out and the game fail big. I know we will never have number but I really wish to know them.

clarky

Gold Member
It's a committe game. The original idea was probably just a guardians 5 v 5 shooter and the rest of the team forced their ideas over the years
I'm fairly certain this had a significant single player campaign at some point.

Which i don't think has been done before, a 5 player co-op campaign with all these different abilities with OG Halo like levels. Thats something i'd be interested in.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Enjoy the Win while it last my man. God knows you've earned it over the last few years.
I’m pretty sure I spent a lot of todays posts poking fun a Xbox and Phils retarded stance on every screen is an Xbox. I’m at the point where I just point out stupid. I’m done with fanboying for anyone. All the gaming companies think gamers are retards. Especially Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo. And they get off on fanboys defending their bullshit.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
To be honest, I’m not even allowed to talk on social media what I’m working on. That the job of the PR department. In a company like Sony, I would expect something like this but it looks like it’s not the case.
I never understood how video game industry allow this. It can be really damaging.
100% true.

Our company is reminded every so often to never talk about the company or products on social media either. And if you do, you got to actually say you are an employee. There's a risky combo of possibly leaking info, saying the wrong thing, or giving bad advice leading to liability.

But the best answer is no answer at all. If something is bugging you, dont post even if you mean no harm and are trying to defend the company. Just tell marketing and someone there will handle it.

Bu for gaming, it seems like every game company has zero filters or code of conduct policies. Everyone can just do and say what they want.

Cyberpunkd

Is it soo inclusive that people aren’t playing it because they themselves can’t pick a character for fear of not playing as a different character? Like, how do you choose between a fat lesbian or nonbinary robot? Who will they offend by not making the correct choice?
Pronouns are not the issue, although it’s stupid virtue signalling. The game does absolutely nothing new, the art style is generic thrash.

laynelane

Leave it to video game employees acting weird on social media.

If Nestle launches a shitty chocolate bar and it gets grilled and discontinued, I'm pretty sure none of the 270,000 employees will call out any consumers who hated it. You wont see one R&D guy, marketing/product manager or anyone close to the product going ape shit on social media.

To me, it seems like there was a real shift towards this type of behavior years ago when a bunch of "gamers are dead" articles all came out at the same time. It's common sense in any business not to attack the paying customer or blame them for a product failure. But ever since that event, it seems like so long as the word 'gamer' is substituted for 'paying customer' - there are those within gaming development and the media who think they can say whatever the fuck they want.

That's why I'm happy to see tweets like this gain attention. This bs attitude against 'gamers' has gone on for far too long already. It needs to stop.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I get the hate For the design and woke bs, but you would think this was the most unplayable shit gameplay wise on the planet and it’s really not. It’s generic but a competent shooter
Im not surprised. The mob is very rarely accurate, for as long as Ive been around.

The blame the customer atitude seems to come straight out of Hollywood. I seem to remember butterface Brie Larson being one of the biggest to do it...maybe not the first.
Pro tip - never take career advice from actor/actress celebrities.

pasterpl

Sure, but if we're speculating about how expensive a game was I don't see the point in throwing around numbers like 8 years when 2 of those years were 1 or 2 guys writing on paper.
Sure, don’t believe actual senior staff on the project and counter with you own assumptions from you ass. Can’t cope much?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
To me, it seems like there was a real shift towards this type of behavior years ago when a bunch of "gamers are dead" articles all came out at the same time. It's common sense in any business not to attack the paying customer or blame them for a product failure. But ever since that event, it seems like so long as the word 'gamer' is substituted for 'paying customer' - there are those within gaming development and the media who think they can say whatever the fuck they want.

That's why I'm happy to see tweets like this gain attention. This bs attitude against 'gamers' has gone on for far too long already. It needs to stop.
I musta missed it. I had to google what gamers are dead articles are. Maybe one day I'll read up on it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Hoooo boy.

Now, babycakes. I know it's late - 8:32pm on the West Coast, on a Friday! But this game is at 480 players. On day 1. On a Friday night. I know y'all pimpin playa's is out there getting ya dick wet instead of playing video games, but that is bad.
Skull & Bones has almost double the player count on Steam. Now at mid-800s.

Top Bottom