• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord bombs on Steam with less than 1k players on launch day

My guy also cited dev time, knowing that a lead developer said this game took 8~ years to complete. Meanwhile the gap between Halo 5 and Infinite was 6~ years, which is still 2 years less even if we're being generous to assume that 343 started developing Infinite the moment Halo 5 went Gold.

Except 343 isn't a new studio, it already had hundreds of employees working for 6 years, and it's getting 10x'd by Helldivers 2 today in terms of active users. So much for being a big success

What is it with you guys and not understanding that 4 out of those 8 years was literally less than 50 people and they were just getting the studio up and running for many of those years?

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
My guy also cited dev time, knowing that a lead developer said this game took 8~ years to complete. Meanwhile the gap between Halo 5 and Infinite was 6~ years, which is still 2 years less even if we're being generous to assume that 343 started developing Infinite the moment Halo 5 went Gold.
Numbers is hard.

FeralEcho

It required massive help when it moved to PS4 to finish the game though. And they lingered in purgatory for like a decade
It took 7 years of dev since its announcement while it also changed generations in 2012 so 4 years of dev time for a PS4 game,maybe 1 year higher than normal dev cycle for that generation. I don't think the higher resources atributed to it made as big a difference financially. Was it higher costs sure,but like with Dreams the fact that it bombed made no difference because it was a small studio not based in a city with high management rates.

My worry is that the studio that made concord and the people in it, are obviously very very on the extreme green hair side, looking at the game and the already comments surfacing from devs, and somebody at sony visited this people and thought "well this guys are supper, lets buy them and give them AAA budget and market" ... so I really have to question the decision making of the heads and producers at Sony and it dosent look good for the future.

Well I think it just speaks more to the fact that Sony really doesn't know what they are doing with GaaS productions. That's why they have Bungie to help make that assessment.

They got pretty lucky with Helldivers 2 and probably didn't think it would be anywhere near that much of a success given it's rather low-budget production value feel vs. Concord which has the polished CGI trailers and stuff but really nobody cares about that in an MP game. Should be obvious but yeah Sony has some clueless people running GaaS right now.

I just hope Fairgame$ turns out OK, because that's another studio they purchased.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Numbers is hard.

Apparently so.

Game released 3 years ago not having the same number of active players as game released 6 months ago is a gotcha or something.

And 8/10 games can't be beloved anymore.

Numbers Blooper GIF by SVC

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
And yet Halo Infinite won Neogaf’s game of the year. Can’t be too much of a flop when it’s so beloved. Let me guess, you must think Bloodborne is a flop too.
It's wild it won.
Funniest part of the infographic was simply "fun"
No, I don't think Bloodborne was a flop even in the timeframe after launch. Finally the Insomniac leaks showed it clearly wasn't.

WoxKhrp.gif

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Well I think it just speaks more to the fact that Sony really doesn't know what they are doing with GaaS productions. That's why they have Bungie to help make that assessment.

They got pretty lucky with Helldivers 2 and probably didn't think it would be anywhere near that much of a success given it's rather low-budget production value feel vs. Concord which has the polished CGI trailers and stuff but really nobody cares about that in an MP game. Should be obvious but yeah Sony has some clueless people running GaaS right now.

I just hope Fairgame$ turns out OK, because that's another studio they purchased.
I think its time for Sony Japan to open their fucking eyes and start to pay closer attention to what their western people are doing... I dont understand shit about the hierarchy on Sony but somehow I think the string became too loose.

Apparently so.

Game released 3 years ago not having the same number of active players as game released 6 months ago is a gotcha or something.

And 8/10 games can't be beloved anymore.

Numbers Blooper GIF by SVC

This is a GAAS game, genius.

Apex Legends = released 2019 = 112k active players
PUBG= Released in 2018 = 291k active players
Halo Infinite = released in 2021 = 2.8k active players

What is Halo's excuse for getting outplayed by an indie developer? This is Microsoft's franchise title, ffs.

Confused Rooster Teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

Last edited:

FeralEcho

Except 343 isn't a new studio, it already had hundreds of employees working for 6 years, and it's getting 10x'd by Helldivers 2 today in terms of active users. So much for being a big success

What is it with you guys and not understanding that 4 out of those 8 years was literally less than 50 people and they were just getting the studio up and running for many of those years?
But you said TLG having 30 devs working on the game for years and then getting some help despite them having their studio in a less expensive Japan was a bigger/as big a bomb as Concord which now you say that having 50 devs working for 4 years out of 8 on a nuclear bomb while working and living in one of the most expensive places in the industry is somehow "no big deal"...

Confused Help Me GIF by StickerGiant

EDIT: Seems I misunderstood. Apologies.

Last edited:

IDappa

When the game that put Xbox on the map is dead and gets outdone by an indie title nobody expected to be popular

Confused Eric Andre GIF by Chicken Shop Date
Weren’t you blowing smoke up everyone’s arse about how good this game is going to be?, while everyone with common sense could see it was gonna be dogshit. Why are you dying on the hill or little mound that is concord?.. it’s a shit game don’t stress..

Last edited:
yeah. Sony first party title couldn’t even beat out ass eating Cliffy B’s Lawbreakers in the same exact genre. Maybe more people at Sony need to start eating ass.
sorry chief but lawbrakers was a gravity redefining genre, you could seven say it was braking the laws of physics. the only genre that conocr is breaking is the the one of pronouns.

But you said TLG having 30 devs working on the game for years and then getting some help despite them having their studio in a less expensive Japan was a bigger/as big a bomb as Concord which now you say that having 50 devs working for 4 years out of 8 on a nuclear bomb while working and living in one of the most expensive places in the industry is somehow "no big deal"...

Confused Help Me GIF by StickerGiant

No I didn't say that. They were asking when the last time Sony had a massive bomb like this. I never said TLG was just as big or bigger.

But yeah, lots of games Sony never released were obviously insta-bombs but because they don't release there's not any attention really.

Weren’t you blowing smoke up everyone’s arse about how good this game is going to be?, while everyone with common sense could see it was gonna be dogshit. Why are you dying on the hill or little mound that is concord?.. it’s a shit game don’t stress..

Don't think so homey. The game actually is pretty fun for a while, but you get your fix quickly. It's not a bad game. It's just dressed in a lot of unappealing art/characters.

How is the game dogshit, btw? have you played it or are you just parroting the fact that it's a commercial failure?

Last edited:

FeralEcho

No I didn't say that. They were asking when the last time Sony had a massive bomb like this. I never said TLG was just as big or bigger.

But yeah, lots of games Sony never released were obviously insta-bombs but because they don't release there's not any attention really.
My bad then,I apologise.

Agreed that Sony has had bombs in the past but I feel like none of their first party bombed at this level. At least not at the expectations publishers have nowadays with their games. In the past games have bombed but the expectations and dev costs were much lower.

Last edited:
My bad then,I apologise.

Agreed that Sony has had bombs in the past but I feel like none of their first party bombed at this level. At least not at the expectations publishers have nowadays with their games. In the past games have bombed but the expectations and dev costs were much lower.

Sony single player seems to be pretty locked in. That's what they know and do best. Hard for them to miss, and when they do, they know to cancel before shipping it or making it into production.

GaaS is going to be an interesting and wild ride for them. They don't really know this space well, but want a piece of it. Maybe the reason they bought Bungie because after it's all said and done they're the only ones that may end up having a true GaaS product that can last for many years.

Last edited:

IDappa

Don't think so homey. The game actually is pretty fun for a while, but you get your fix quickly. It's not a bad game. It's just dressed in a lot of unappealing art/characters.

How is the game dogshit, btw? have you played it or are you just parroting the fact that it's a commercial failure?
Played the beta, wasn’t good, game looks like shit. Game movement is slow as fuck overall. Doesn’t bring anything new to the formula and Like I said back then. It’s got no chance against things like overwatch, deadlock and marvel rivals.

Overwatch is on the downturn obviously but if you’re going to bring in a game that has to compete with other hero shooters especially ones that have been top tier in the past you better make sure everything is top tier and definitely don’t tie it’s main attraction to politics.

FeralEcho

Sony single player seems to be pretty locked in. That's what they know and do best. Hard for them to miss, and when they do, they know to cancel before shipping it or making it into production.

GaaS is going to be an interesting and wild ride for them. They don't really know this space well, but want a piece of it. Maybe the reason they bought Bungie because after it's all said and done they're the only ones that may end up having a true GaaS product that can last for many years.
We shall see,at the moment Bungie ain't doing well either and it needs a shakeup on the management side.

Played the beta, wasn’t good, game looks like shit. Game movement is slow as fuck overall. Doesn’t bring anything new to the formula and Like I said back then. It’s got no chance against things like overwatch, deadlock and marvel rivals.

Overwatch is on the downturn obviously but if you’re going to bring in a game that has to compete with other hero shooters especially ones that have been top tier in the past you better make sure everything is top tier and definitely don’t tie it’s main attraction to politics.

That's like, your opinion man, many disagree. The quality is fine, movement is fine for what the game sets out to achieve. It's not bombing because the gameplay isn't good. It's just not new and the art is atrociously unappealing.

IDappa

That's like, your opinion man, many disagree. The quality is fine, movement is fine for what the game sets out to achieve. It's not bombing because the gameplay isn't good. It's just not new and the art is atrociously unappealing.
Okay then middling gameplay at best?, just fine doesn’t appeal to people. Point being the package overall is trash compared to other games in the genre. When you have “fine” gameplay, shitty art style, shitty politic driven character designs, I would even argue the package they offered isn’t good enough for the price they were asking for especially comparing it to helldivers. All this equals shit game?.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Yeah, but sinking that much money into a game solely to prop up a DEI initiative? It's performative at best at most companies - I'm not sure I believe they'd really take that kind of financial risk with diversity as their primary consideration.

Though admittedly, I don't really understand what reason of any sort they'd have to invest so heavily in a studio that's produced nothing in the past. As I recall, Sony's typically been very careful about working with a developer on a few projects and then, only if there's a very strong fit, looking at an acquisition.

MS was on an enormous buying spree two years ago, buying both studios and entire publishers. Sony was obviously afraid they'd be left out in the cold when MS was done. Normally Sony would work for years with a studio before buying it, but now Sony was suddenly under enormous pressure, Firewalk Studios was working on a GAAS game that hit the right buttons and they were available so Sony swooped in before MS could grab the studio. That's my interpretation.

Okay then middling gameplay at best?, just fine doesn’t appeal to people. Point being the package overall is trash compared to other games in the genre. When you have “fine” gameplay, shitty art style, shitty politic driven character designs, I would even argue the package they offered isn’t good enough for the price they were asking for especially comparing it to helldivers. All this equals shit game?.

Well yes the value proposition is low because competitors are F2P and this game really doesn't do anything new. Helldivers 2 was able to charge $40 because it had a much more significant progression system and was a unique game to play.

There's literally nothing exciting to unlock in Concord so you can get your fix in a weekend. Most people are not playing this as some mega competitive shooter, nor does that even appeal to most people, but that's kind of what they tried to target - a game where you need to really have team based strategies based on character dynamics and the casuals just want to shoot shit for free in games they already play.

peish

This is it. they make "market studies", we also know about Black Rock and DEI, they present these studies as socially responsible, but the actual goal is to hit more demographics and grow the audience to make more money. but of course, something that is natural in business/entertainment (I don't know how) got so infected with these kind of people.

the werid thing is that they (these "creatives") are not trying to make financially sucesfull products as their main priority, but they are trying to make their ideology/agenda mainstream while destroying he old and "problematic" one. from here comes things like "subverting expectations" for example.

at the end of the day the money people just want to make money and this "movement" clearly is not working out.

Nice find, sweet baby inc was formed to make more money out of "new" markets. Who the fucks need diversity advisors lol

It is all american capitalism in the end.

Fess

I think this is the biggest bomb I've ever seen.

You can't even blame gamepass.

When you're performing worse than the worst xbox game in years. Redfall. You really have done something spectacular.
Gameplay looks solid but there really was no other outcome here, they should’ve listened to the criticism ahead of the release and delayed and tweaked it.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Went to bed yesterday around midnight european time when game was still under 700 ccu, woke up today at 8am just to check if those mythical "modern audience" came back from work/school, still waiting for them to show up, so far looks like only company PC's at firewalk studios are running on steam :)
77f0c869-4551-49a0-b723-bcbd66072f2e_text.gif

DavidGzz

It's a 69 on Meta while Hellblade is an 80. You were bouncing off the walls in the Hellblade 2 thread claiming how shit it was so why is it so hard to believe a game that scored 11 points worse is dogshit? :D

You're only defending this because it's on PS5. "That's like, your opinion man, many disagree." Cringe.

Why are people
More millions in the garbage for Sony.

Imagine if they had invested all this money and talent they have to make awesome single player games like they have been doing the past gens.

Ryan go and eat shit.

I hope China gets in the game hard and streamroll everyone.
Damn is being anti woke gonna mean being a cuck for china going forward? On top of constantly bringing up the purple site these threads arent gonna be fun.

Anyways. Copying the fortnite valorant formula while ignoring the very important qualifier of being free. Sony deserves the L for not learning from lawbreakers.

Last edited:

Nydius

Another Concord thread, another series of pointless, desperate whataboutisms by James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford attempting to deflect the utter failure of this game.

“What about three year old Halo Infinite?”
“What about Redfall?”
🤡

Neither of those games are relevant, it’s just you yelling “XboxToo”. What is it that YOU don’t understand that this was a AAA game with an AAA budget that Sony so believed was going to be part of their core multiplayer GaaS push that they bought the studio? Not only that, they spent God only knows how much in marketing - at least on social media - the last two months. And how many brand new Sony IPs get their own limited edition controllers day one before they’ve even proven themselves? I can’t think of the last one.

Sony obviously put this game out expecting it to be the foundation of their future multiplayer games, and it’s not only a mega bomb but will almost certainly be a near total financial loss. Bringing up competitors games doesn’t change that fact.

It's a 69 on Meta while Hellblade is an 80. You were bouncing off the walls in the Hellblade 2 thread claiming how shit it was so why is it so hard to believe a game that scored 11 points worse is dogshit? :D

You're only defending this because it's on PS5. "That's like, your opinion man, many disagree." Cringe.

I’m not defending it all, goober

I hope it fails. It’s unappealing despite the solid gameplay

But it’s an infinitely better game than hellblade 2, which is press up simulator of slog. Its 80 meta is a complete joke. 4/10 at best.

Top Bottom