• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord bombs on Steam with less than 1k players on launch day

laynelane

I musta missed it. I had to google what gamers are dead articles are. Maybe one day I'll read up on it.

It's a bit of a rabbit hole, to be frank lol. Very messy, but it was back in 2014 that this occurred. A bunch of media outlets all produced articles at the same time and they all had the same message:

Gamers are over. That’s why they’re so mad. These obtuse shitslingers, these wailing hyper-consumers, these childish internet-arguers -- they are not my audience. They don’t have to be yours. There is no ‘side’ to be on, there is no ‘debate’ to be had. There is what’s past and there is what’s now. There is the role you choose to play in what’s ahead.

Source.

When current day devs and media outlets insult and blame their customers/gamers, it reminds me of this exact attitude.

pasterpl

Banana is a clicker Game, in which you click a Banana! In Banana you click the Banana to gain even more Bananas! Every 3, you get dropped a banana. Each banana is also made by the community in discord. Come hang out with us and let's grow into something awesome !

Steam charts​

• Banana
  • 354,691players right now
  • 480,98024-hour peak
  • 917,272 Peak 2 months ago
just for comparison sake. /s

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's a bit of a rabbit hole, to be frank lol. Very messy, but it was back in 2014 that this occurred. A bunch of media outlets all produced articles at the same time and they all had the same message:

Source.

When current day devs and media outlets insult and blame their customers/gamers, it reminds me of this exact attitude.
Thanks I bookmarked it and will read up more on the topic another day.

There's no quick fix for that. The kind of "modern audience" argument we've heard isn't one that comes from corporate, it comes from below and within. It'll be easy enough to identify they most virulent ideologues, but at this point, it's hard not to come to the conclusion that the majority of game devs lean left.

Sure, the Acolyte bombed ridiculously, but it's not the first project out of Lucasfilm or Disney that pushed the idpol button. They haven't changed direction in 10 years. If anything, they've doubled down.
Believe it or not, things are changing quite fast; these kinds of people are starting to feel the pressure. (Some biological entity on ResetEra who works in a DEI department was explaining that they/them cannot say certain things anymore.)

These creative executives have proven to be incompetent at making money (the thing that actually matters).

The issue is not about representation, but that SOME people in charge have a weird ideological agenda that ends up making subpar products.

Sony as bunsiess clearly is not willing tolerate this level of faliure

The developer attacking everyone is literally the way it always goes for some reason with these folks.

They fire off some nasty comment labeling everyone who doesn't ascribe to their agenda, stance or any generalized grievance with the game and then go Private, which I'd expect them to do shortly if not already.

But it's a bad look and it doesn't do them any favors, of which they're in need of a great many of those.

Favors, good luck, well wishes, miracles, anything.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Believe it or not, things are changing quite fast; these kinds of people are starting to feel the pressure. (Some biological entity on ResetEra who works in a DEI department was explaining that they/them cannot say certain things anymore.)

These creative executives have proven to be incompetent at making money (the thing that actually matters).

The issue is not about representation, but that SOME people in charge have a weird ideological agenda that ends up making subpar products.

Sony as bunsiess clearly is not willing tolerate this level of faliure
As you and Prototype post good messages about this, its really puzzling.

On one hand media in general leans left and little crazy. But every company big and small still has numbers to hit and everyone wants to make good profits and bonuses. So even if the avg worker is political, you'd think the big wig exec sitting in the corner office wearing a suit and tie and doesnt even play games wouldnt greenlight this shit and would grill the team to make mainstream stuff that can sell.

Most CEOs dont use the products. I dont either at my company. But just eyeballing a product, you can get an idea if it's a niche political product or a potential mainstream seller.

But oddly the execs green light all this stuff for years. So either they are agenda driven too and dont care about sales and profits. Or they are convinced by creatives with fancy powerpoint slides or inherently believe themselves all these crazy games or movies will be big sellers.

Something is amiss and not jiving right.

Cyberpunkd

We really still reaching repeating that 8 year number
You are splitting hairs. Even if it was 4, 5, 6 years the point is incredible amount of money and effort was spent on a product that absolutely bombed. Even more - many, many people predicted it right from the start and the reasons for a failure.

Unfortunately once it got past certain stage there was no way to shoot it down without very senior intervention.
Devs don’t care - they call it “labour of love”, but at the end this guarantees their jobs and I never heard of a dev quitting because a game he or she was working on was not up to his or her quality standards.

Studio heads don’t care, at least since it was bought by Sony - you were bought for this, money came in, why rock the boat?

Same with Sony management - you work for Sony, it’s unfortunate money will be wasted but it’s not your money. Studio might be shut down but as long as you stay low you will keep your job and move to other projects.

People on this forum and in real life forget that there is no such things as a living company - it’s all made of people, with their own biases, insecurities, ambitions and hubris.

I'm nobody

And after all this I've had zero issues getting into games 1m awt and cross pf off and early access
Never met same player twice too

I don't like the bullet sponging the character are a bit crap but the game is fun

Shubh_C63

I have said it for a while, Gaf should have comparison battles like Boxofficemojo.

Concord WoW vs Suicide Squad WoW comparisons.

Bridges

Wow, this is so much worse than I ever would've imagined.

Has the public completely turned against new GaaS or is this game uniquely unappealing? This has to be the biggest bomba from 1st party Sony in a lifetime, right?

Nickolaidas

The optimist within me says that this will make companies understand people don't want wokeness and will begin to remove woke elements from their games.

The pessimist within me says that this will reinforce the opinion that they should only pull this shit with established IPs like Spider-Man and God of War.

In the end, I don't really care anymore.

Crimson Desert is going to replace all my need for IPs like Elder Scrolls or the Witcher.

Stellar Blade will replace all my needs for hack and slash games like Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden, should they go full woke (Devil May Cry still stands strong).

Dragon Ball and Street Fighter have replaced my needs for a fighting game like mortal kombat.

Souls games are still going strong, so no worries on that front from FROM, for now.

What I am trying to say that thanks to the East, there are plenty of alternatives for all those woke western IPs. And even if IPs life Final Fantasy become full woke, I will have Chinese games like Crimson Desert to replace them.

I am content.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Wow, this is so much worse than I ever would've imagined.

Has the public completely turned against new GaaS or is this game uniquely unappealing? This has to be the biggest bomba from 1st party Sony in a lifetime, right?

Recent GaaS titles have been really spotty. Even those that are successful at launch tend to fall off hard these days. I don't remember the exact statistic, but it's GaaS titles from like 8+ years ago that continue to reign supreme, and pretty much nothing else can gain traction. Concord is uniquely unappealing, but it's in a space that's struggling as a whole right now... thus why its performance is so miserable.

As far as how big a bomb it is... frankly, I can't think of a single Sony game that's tanked this hard like... ever. At least when you weigh the amount of investment vs. the ultimate performance.

Recent GaaS titles have been really spotty. Even those that are successful at launch tend to fall off hard these days. I don't remember the exact statistic, but it's GaaS titles from like 8+ years ago that continue to reign supreme, and pretty much nothing else can gain traction. Concord is uniquely unappealing, but it's in a space that's struggling as a whole right now... thus why its performance is so miserable.

As far as how big a bomb it is... frankly, I can't think of a single Sony game that's tanked this hard like... ever. At least when you weigh the amount of investment vs. the ultimate performance.

There have been plenty of similar if not bigger bombs, they just never made it to market. See: Sucker Punch or Sony Santa Monica new IP or Naughty Dog with Factions.

Last edited:
Or they are convinced by creatives with fancy powerpoint slides or inherently believe themselves all these crazy games or movies will be big sellers.
This is it. they make "market studies", we also know about Black Rock and DEI, they present these studies as socially responsible, but the actual goal is to hit more demographics and grow the audience to make more money. but of course, something that is natural in business/entertainment (I don't know how) got so infected with these kind of people.

the werid thing is that they (these "creatives") are not trying to make financially sucesfull products as their main priority, but they are trying to make their ideology/agenda mainstream while destroying he old and "problematic" one. from here comes things like "subverting expectations" for example.

at the end of the day the money people just want to make money and this "movement" clearly is not working out.

Danny Dudekisser

There have been plenty of similar if not bigger bombs, they just never made it to market. See: Sucker Punch or Sony Santa Monica new IP or Naughty Dog with Factions.

Oh, of course there are those. I'm thinking solely of the stuff that's actually gotten a full release. Like, I'm thinking back to games like Blasto for something that's been as huge of a dud... but even then, the sheer amount of money lost can't be anywhere near this.

Oh, of course there are those. I'm thinking solely of the stuff that's actually gotten a full release. Like, I'm thinking back to games like Blasto for something that's been as huge of a dud... but even then, the sheer amount of money lost can't be anywhere near this.

Maybe the Last Guardian. It was well received but took an enormous amount of time to release, and sadly did not sell well.

MrRibeye

This disaster affects other PlayStation studios, who now get less allocation for new hires, maybe even hiring freeze and milestones put under more scrutiny.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It's Friday night and the game is currently being played by less than 500 people on Steam on its launch day globally.

I hope Firewlak studios and their employees the best, cause this is a huge bomb for a long-term time and money investment.

tF1osHq.png

Ywap

First Bungie, now this 😳

Sony should have consulted with WB on how to properly handle their GAAS strategy 😤

Last edited:

peish

Sony needs to fire the people who made this deal, it is not a cheap loss.

What is the hook of this game? What made Sony even think of charging $40 when many alternatives are F2p?

This is big mistakes, the head must roll

TransTrender

Gold Member
It’s the biggest.
I doubt it
Halo Infinite should be worse considering the dev time and team size with all those glorious MS inefficiencies. MP being free for all and SP being available on GamePass. Revenue from MP shop was weak because the player counts quickly cratered and then the whole thing was shitcanned shortly after.

The pessimist within me says that this will reinforce the opinion that they should only pull this shit with established IPs like Spider-Man and God of War.
I hope Spider-Man 2 has turned a lot of people off from whatever's coming next.

Last edited:
Thats not fair... playstation players have options.
Exactly. This isn't a Redfall situation, where it was going to be the kickoff to the Renaissance of the Xbox brand, which had been struggling and had an exclusive drought, and was being hyped as such by every Xbox fanboy out there.

Nope. Pretty much everyone saw this bombing from a mile away. It'll be laughed at, like it should, but will be forgotten within a week or so as PS5s still fly off of shelves.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

Maybe the Last Guardian. It was well received but took an enormous amount of time to release, and sadly did not sell well.
TLG was made by like 30 devs,in Japan... I doubt it cost much. And it at least must've sold some consoles out of sheer hype for an UEDA led SOTC sequel. Not something I can say for Concord lol

TLG was made by like 30 devs,in Japan... I doubt it cost much. And it at least must've sold some consoles out of sheer hype for an UEDA led SOTC sequel. Not something I can say for Concord lol

It required massive help when it moved to PS4 to finish the game though. And they lingered in purgatory for like a decade

FeralEcho

Exactly. This isn't a Redfall situation, where it was going to be the kickoff to the Renaissance of the Xbox brand, which had been struggling and had an exclusive drought, and was being hyped as such by every Xbox fanboy out there.

Nope. Pretty much everyone will saw this bombing from a mile away. It'll be laughed at, like it should, but will be forgotten within a week or so as PS5s still fly off of shelves.
That doesn't mean it's still not one of the biggest blows to Sony in the last 15 years,no matter the amount of copium fanboys ingest.Don't forget they actually bought a whole studio for this pos. It's a disaster on multiple levels.

Hell,as a fan of Playstation, people should be glad this pos bombed so bad as it might lead Sony to go back to their singleplayer focus instead of the garbage gaas initiatives slim jim ryan left behind while he was retiring with the bags of money made on the backs of his better predecesors.

Bernardougf

It required massive help when it moved to PS4 to finish the game though. And they lingered in purgatory for like a decade
I think that when the game finally came out it was "outdated" .. like the long dev cicle took the game out of his natural "time" and it felt out of place ... and the perfomance issues were only solved by the pro.

I enjoy it .. but SotC was infinitely better.. a true sequel would have been a better choice.

Last edited:

Nope. Pretty much everyone will saw this bombing from a mile away. It'll be laughed at, like it should, but will be forgotten within a week or so as PS5s still fly off of shelves.

Redfall also killed Arkane, a studio that was cherished for making the Dishonored series.

Redfall was the "E3 Closer, just one last thing" announcement, remember. It was supposed to be their big 2022 game (a fucking terrible year for Xbox with literally nothing) until it got delayed until 2023.

Like I said before - Sony will lose a decent amount of money with Concord, but nobody will care if it ends the studio. There was never any expectation of this studio doing anything else but GaaS. Sony hardly even hyped it until recently. It basically got a stealth announcement at a state of play and then immediately a beta.

That doesn't mean it's still not one of the biggest blows to Sony in the last 15 years,no matter the amount of copium fanboys ingest.Don't forget they actually bought a whole studio for this pos. It's a disaster on multiple levels.

Eh, it's not really as big of a blow as what you make it out to be. Buying the studio MAY have been dumb, but maybe not. They get a second chance or can help out with Bungie's games. IT'S NOT a redfall situation where the game is actually fucking shitty to play. The studio made a competent GaaS shooter, but it just wasn't appealing or novel enough to really matter.

Helldivers 2 was an enormous success and easily absorbs the blow of this failure.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I doubt it
Halo Infinite should be worse considering the dev time and team size with all those glorious MS inefficiencies. MP being free for all and SP being available on GamePass. Revenue from MP shop was weak because the player counts quickly cratered and then the whole thing was shitcanned shortly after.
And yet Halo Infinite won Neogaf’s game of the year. Can’t be too much of a flop when it’s so beloved. Let me guess, you must think Bloodborne is a flop too.

And yet Halo Infinite won Neogaf’s game of the year. Can’t be too much of a flop when it’s so beloved. Let me guess, you must think Bloodborne is a flop too.

Games can be flops even if they are good...what are you talking about? And I don't think it's very beloved now. It's like an 8/10 game at best. This place had lots of green rats with low standards voting it up that year.

Danny Dudekisser

Ah, yeah - that's a good one. I don't know how much money they actually pumped into that, but it's pretty much at the top of the heap for games that took entirely too long to ship. Even so, I'm guessing the scale's pretty different from this given 1) modern game development budgets and 2) the investment that no doubt went into making this a multi-year long project with ongoing support.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

My guy also cited dev time, knowing that a lead developer said this game took 8~ years to complete. Meanwhile the gap between Halo 5 and Infinite was 6~ years, which is still 2 years less even if we're being generous to assume that 343 started developing Infinite the moment Halo 5 went Gold.

Bernardougf

Redfall also killed Arkane, a studio that was cherished for making the Dishonored series.

Redfall was the "E3 Closer, just one last thing" announcement, remember. It was supposed to be their big 2022 game (a fucking terrible year for Xbox with literally nothing) until it got delayed until 2023.

Like I said before - Sony will lose a decent amount of money with Concord, but nobody will care if it ends the studio. There was never any expectation of this studio doing anything else but GaaS. Sony hardly even hyped it until recently. It basically got a stealth announcement at a state of play and then immediately a beta.

Eh, it's not really as big of a blow as what you make it out to be. Buying the studio MAY have been dumb, but maybe not. They get a second chance or can help out with Bungie's games. IT'S NOT a redfall situation where the game is actually fucking shitty to play. The studio made a competent GaaS shooter, but it just wasn't appealing or novel enough to really matter.

Helldivers 2 was an enormous success and easily absorbs the blow of this failure.
My worry is that the studio that made concord and the people in it, are obviously very very on the extreme green hair side, looking at the game and the already comments surfacing from devs, and somebody at sony visited this people and thought "well this guys are supper, lets buy them and give them AAA budget and market" ... so I really have to question the decision making of the heads and producers at Sony and it dosent look good for the future.

Last edited:
Top Bottom