• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord bombs on Steam with less than 1k players on launch day

PeteBull

Gold Member
I’m not defending it all, goober

I hope it fails. It’s unappealing despite the solid gameplay

But it’s an infinitely better game than hellblade 2, which is press up simulator of slog. Its 80 meta is a complete joke. 4/10 at best.
We as playstation fans gotta keep it sane here, if we praise/dmg control terrible games like this one, we will end up like xbox players, getting their exclusives announced for playstation before even launch.
The more we want playstation to succeed the more we gotta pay attention and call out failed projects like this one, we only do it out of love :)

Another Concord thread, another series of pointless, desperate whataboutisms by James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford attempting to deflect the utter failure of this game.

“What about three year old Halo Infinite?”
“What about Redfall?”
🤡

Neither of those games are relevant, it’s just you yelling “XboxToo”. What is it that YOU don’t understand that this was a AAA game with an AAA budget that Sony so believed was going to be part of their core multiplayer GaaS push that they bought the studio? Not only that, they spent God only knows how much in marketing - at least on social media - the last two months. And how many brand new Sony IPs get their own limited edition controllers day one before they’ve even proven themselves? I can’t think of the last one.

Sony obviously put this game out expecting it to be the foundation of their future multiplayer games, and it’s not only a mega bomb but will almost certainly be a near total financial loss. Bringing up competitors games doesn’t change that fact.

Yeah so why are you and your green rat friends in this thread then, if not for schadenfreude?

That’s cool if you’re into that, but don’t complain about “whataboutism” like some ResetERA poster when you’re inviting it to begin with.

Y’all have tons of bombs to refer back to over the last decade plus, so maybe I should defer to your expertise on this matter?

We all know this game is a bomb but that should honestly be the expectation for GaaS games, most will fail. Look at how many have failed over the years. I have said countless times that Sony likely only needs 1-2 of their GaaS titles to do well to justify all their failures and make a profit on top.

It’s the VC business model. And they may very well fail at that too, but so far this year they are batting .500, so that’s not so bad. Future will tell if their other titles pan out.

Last edited:
Concord's pronouns are dead/game.
Cracking Up Lol GIF

Mownoc

Game will either be announced as f2p or shutting down before the end of the year. Not long after going f2p it will probably shutdown anyway. Very much doubt f2p would give this game player numbers either.

Roufianos

Man, fewer than 700 players 😂 I wonder if this turd will even crack 10k sales, no reason to believe PS5 will be any better.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Gold Member
I got enough of concord in the beta

Fun for weekend, but then felt like there’s was nothing more for me to do.

I ain’t stanning for this game at all, but merely putting its failure into context. Some believe it’s a bigger deal than it really is.
It wont make sony go bankrupt and overall no1 will care coz it wasnt fall of some beloved ip, the thing is, sony HQ gotta be smart about it, kick out useless wokesters who decided on the games look/how it plays and missmaanged the whole project, but keep/assimilate programmers/coders coz technically game wasnt bad, use those guys output for other sony studios and actual good games.
And ofc fire the stupid fker who decided to aquire the firewalk studio, this guy either had some private agenda or is totally incompetent so cant be trusted either way.

Embearded

I am very interested in an economical and risk analysis about the future of the game.
Would it be better to refund and pull the plug now, or keep throwing money at it?
Sales so far must not cover the salaries of the studio the last 4 months.

Kenpachii

Sony got to greedy with pushing this game as a paid title instead of free to play.

Also horrible time to release concord, so much titles coming out that take people's attention.

No clue about the woke shit in the game never spend 2 seconds even watching a trailer about it, that's how much interested i am in the product tho.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Meanwhile Black Myth Wukong is killing it.

I hope the irony is not lost on Sony.

You would hope… you really would hope, that video game company executives will look at the absolute disaster zone of agenda driven GaaS games that bomb horribly, and then compare to the stunning success of single player games driven by the desire to make a good, contained experience… and realise what course correction they should be undertaking.

If You Say So Wow GIF by Identity

Mownoc

Sony is so fucking lucky that Microsoft is nearly giving up on consoles this generation, since their exclusives have been mostly abhorrent.

Still, burning hundreds of millions on a massive bomb will sting
Huh? What are you talking about. You can say you don't personally like them, but framing it as if they'd be in trouble because of them? Whether you personally like them or not they've had Incredibly successful exclusives both critically and commercially this gen. Ragnarok was the fastest selling playstation game ever then so was Helldivers 2. Spiderman 2 and Horizon Forbidden West are both massive hits too.

They've had 5, maybe 6, 10m+ sellers since the PS5 released lol.

Last edited:
Bomba!

Maybe mods can change the characters into something worth looking at and that will bring some people in :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Fuck this shit game, let it die.

As an aside, what's with the "hero" moniker on this game. What's heroic about any of those characters? The bar to being a hero is really fucking low these days...

Last edited:

PeteBull

Gold Member
Bomba!

Maybe mods can change the characters into something worth looking at and that will bring some people in :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Fuck this shit game, let it die.

As an aside, what's with the "hero" moniker on this game. What's heroic about any of those characters? The bar to being a hero is really fucking low these days...
its online shooter, mods wont affect it online anyways

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I had to go look on Era to see the reaction, and the fact that absolutely nobody is even able to briefly consider the idea that the game’s politically driven character designs might be even partially to blame for the game’s failure, is testament to the fact that games like this will continue to be made, and will continue to bomb.

It does your agenda, your community and your allies absolutely no favours to ignore a problem.

There are many factors in why this game has been such a disaster, and the horrible, unattractive, unheroic character designs in their hero shooter is definitely one of them.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Tons.

Bungie alone cost $3.6 billion. Destiny 2 sales and profits tanked to the point of being in the red, tons of layoffs, severance pay. And I think $1 billion was retention bonuses. So youre not getting that back in a resale of a company. There is zero chance of Bungie still being worth $3.6 billion. Probably not even worth $1 billion if Sony tried to divest them. At some point, Sony will write off a billion or more due to Bungie revaluation.

Concord has bombed. The Deviation Studios game they partnered with is dead, Fairgames who knows. Factions 2 dead. I think some kind of Horizon MP game is dead.

You can tell it's eating them alive since the past couple years, profit margins have shrunk to 6% when historically since PS4 started rocking it, profit margins were about 13% for 4 years in a row.

Yea people thought in current environment costs of development just made Sony do pc ports because they need better profitable while actually they fucked up so badly that they need that money to not be responsible for the mess they did. With the old style of Playstation they would make more money as they do now.

They are fucked because of the ports and all the gaas missteps and there is no going back from this mess.

To think, Sony had faith in this game and recently cancelled other similar projects… even TLOU Online. What on earth were they thinking?

Concord is a game that has been designed for the mythical ‘modern audience’. You know, that ethereal non-entity that is used as justification to push modern woke ideology. The only thing that is really surprising here is the degree of arrogance on display from the developers… it is truly astounding. Imagine alienating the largest demographic in gaming by producing a game targeting minorities and women in a genre they historically and empirically just aren’t interested in. This is another case of misplaced assumption, you know, let’s just assume straight men are on board and do everything we can to appeal to everyone else. Only this time, the straight men that make up the vast majority of the market didn’t show up. How’s that for egg on your face, huh?

Did anyone at Firewalk ever question the direction of this debacle? I bet they all had such a laugh at just how progressive they were. Can you picture the levels of self-satisfaction on display at one of their team meetings? Ask yourselves, would you really take such a chance if your own money was on the line? By all means, make the game you want to make. Don’t however be surprised when you in fact get the audience you pander to. Unfortunately, in this case, there just weren’t as many of them as you believed.

To think, Sony had faith in this game and recently cancelled other similar projects… even TLOU Online. What on earth were they thinking?

Concord is a game that has been designed for the mythical ‘modern audience’. You know, that ethereal non-entity that is used as justification to push modern woke ideology. The only thing that is really surprising here is the degree of arrogance on display from the developers… it is truly astounding. Imagine alienating the largest demographic in gaming by producing a game targeting minorities and women in a genre they historically and empirically just aren’t interested in. This is another case of misplaced assumption, you know, let’s just assume straight men are on board and do everything we can to appeal to everyone else. Only this time, the straight men that make up the vast majority of the market didn’t show up. How’s that for egg on your face, huh?

Did anyone at Firewalk ever question the direction of this debacle? I bet they all had such a laugh at just how progressive they were. Can you picture the levels of self-satisfaction on display at one of their team meetings? Ask yourselves, would you really take such a chance if your own money was on the line? By all means, make the game you want to make. Don’t however be surprised when you in fact get the audience you pander to. Unfortunately, in this case, there just weren’t as many of them as you believed.
They were so convinced of their direction they put out a "beta" (demo) a couple of weeks before launch.

Talk about hubris.

Gp1

And that with a 5 min "Gamescon" opening trailer and Sony's massive hype machine behind...

Meanwhile Valve not even acknowledge Deadlock while the game puts 30/40k players daily on Steam based on the word of mouth.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Say you want a non white elderly woman in your online shooter.
Which design is more appealing? which design do you see people putting on shirts or using as avatars? which design is more likely to resonante with people and make them like the character enough to also want some cool skins for her?
image-2024-07-12T143226.498.jpg
I'm not sure personally. I think You're going about it all wrong and they could profit off this, with ease.. Just think

'Slippers of Nandoor' ($10)
7xOciy6.jpeg

'Teeth of the Saber' ($12)
MC1Plfg.jpeg

'Ears of Bingoless' ($20)
ZjtWrmW.png

'Stick of justice, available in Gold' ($50)
MJYEd9W.jpeg

'Blanket of Glow' ($15)
YRphsMU.jpeg

reektann

This comment on the Concord trailer reveal just made me chortle.

"Concord looks like one of those fake games that are played in the background in a movie or tv show"

Like when its some weird fake game that was made for a show whilst the actor hammers loads of buttons on a gamepad that have nothing to do with the movements on the screen. Amazing.

Sony should have released two live service gamed this gen: TLOU and Helldivers. These companies seem to think you can just flood the market with me-too's and all of them will get their day. There's only so many hours in the day, and the majority of these time sink games are gonna fall thru the cracks.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
This comment on the Concord trailer reveal just made me chortle.

"Concord looks like one of those fake games that are played in the background in a movie or tv show"

Like when its some weird fake game that was made for a show whilst the actor hammers loads of buttons on a gamepad that have nothing to do with the movements on the screen. Amazing.
:messenger_tears_of_joy:

I used to love spotting them films or TV. When the mum and dad's talking and Timmys playing some crud game with utterly generic noises that doesn't match the game but sounds like he's in an arcade.

The attitude on display from some of the people who worked on this game is doing it no favours. Attacking customers for not purchasing your product will not bring positive results. I do hope Sony is taking note of this because, by extension, this is not a good look for them either.
Oh we already got a taste of how savage Nu-Sony is with Bungie who just released a 90 metacritic game just a few months ago. They will not let this slide.

Last edited:

Elios83

OMG. This is a bomb of epic proportions. This studio might not make it to the end of the year.

Game is a bomb, it wasn't well received and marketed well, the reaction to the beta sealed the deal.
GaaS is also a risky market because being good isn't enough if you don't have anything unique and you don't stand out.

With that being said...why the studio should be closed? The problem is obviously in the particular choices made with this game not in the talent of the people behind it.
At worst the team will release the already planned contents and they might be used to speed up development of other games ( ex. Marathon) while internally they decide what to get from the experience. And the lessons are that forced DEI is now a minefield in terms of reception and that simply copying others just won't do it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom