• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord bombs on Steam with less than 1k players on launch day

geary

This cracked me up...

oRK66y2.png

nkarafo

I wonder if AVGN would ever bash a game for these kind of characters nowadays. I guess no even though they deserve it.
Nowadays no, not yet.

In the near future though... Woke media will not age well, you can bet on that.

I don't know how people will react to all the shit we produced the last 10 years in the near future. It will probably be just cringe and embarrassment. Maybe it will become a cult niche, something weird during a weird period of humanity. Kinda like how we see 70's sexploitation movies nowadays. Or maybe it will be completely forgotten and ignored forever.

solidus12

But I thought Sony bought bungie for their expertise on gaas and that they would crack the code for a successful line up of live service games.

Donald Trump Lol GIF by Election 2020

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Oof those Skull and Crossbones numbers. No wonder Ubi’s been emailing me about free trials and “it’s on Steam!”

Concord being even worse warms my heart and gives me faith that people are tired of the same old GaaS games.

Meanwhile a new single player game is the talk of the town.

Ozriel

M$FT
I got enough of concord in the beta

Fun for weekend, but then felt like there’s was nothing more for me to do.

I ain’t stanning for this game at all, but merely putting its failure into context. Some believe it’s a bigger deal than it really is.

If you were truly ’putting it’s failure into context’ you wouldn’t be trying to compare it to Hellblade 2 which would have been made on a much smaller budget.

This is a GaaS game with a lot of money thrown at it, expensive CG ‘episodes’ already paid for, including the reveal trailer that probably cost a million.

Context would be comparing it to Skull and Bones or maybe Suicide Squad, but you can’t help the console warring, can you?

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
If you were truly ’putting it’s failure into context’ you wouldn’t be trying to compare it to Hellblade 2 which would have been made on a much smaller budget.

This is a GaaS game with a lot of money thrown at it, expensive CG ‘episodes’ already paid for, including the reveal trailer that probably cost a million.

Context would be comparing it to Skull and Bones or maybe Suicide Squad, but you can’t help the console warring, can you?

This is fast becoming the largest first party disaster in modern gaming history, regardless of what platform it's on.

Tomi

You wanna tell me that Sackboy had more opening players than Concord which was in development for over 7 years and probably whole cost was like 20 Sackboy games to make?✓
And that Sackboy was 60€ when released on steam, and Concord is 40€?✓
And Sackboy was also available on ps5 for like 3 years before steam?✓

Biggest LOL in gaming industry if true ✓

Skifi28

You wanna tell me that Sackboy had more opening players than Concord which was in development for over 7 years and probably whole cost was like 20 Sackboy games to make?✓
And that Sackboy was 60€ when released on steam, and Concord is 40€?✓
And Sackboy was also available on ps5 for like 3 years before steam?✓

Biggest LOL in gaming industry if true ✓
Hey, Sackboy was a great platformer. Don't go using its name along with Concord.

Holammer

It is 15:00 CET now, by now many game should start climbing as Steam peaks in user engagement around 16:00.
But it looks like Concord flatlined below 300.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Pushing 170 heads, in Seattle WA. The last 2 years alone have exceeded $100,000,000. Total spend is probably close to, if not exceeding, $200,000,000. That 5 minute Marvel style CG shortfilm they did had to be $15,000,000+.
To be fair - most of the budget was paid for before acquisition by someone ;P
Wonder how much Sony actually paid for the studio though.

They were likely expecting 10 million+ sales lifetime
This I really doubt though.
Engagement metrics have a lot more visibility than +1 day to launch - I've witnessed bombing performance from the inside before and it was never really a surprise to anyone (or at least - there was never a discrepancy of even a single order of magnitude - let alone several). Ie. you might miss predictions by say - 50-100% - but not by 10000-50000%.

Going woke is going broke

Also, with the exception of helldivers sony has a terrible track record with live service games
I think in this case, Concord fits Razorfist's version better: go broke, get woke, ultimately croak.

Just casually making like 10 % of all posts in this thread alone?

Season 9 Lol GIF by The Office
It's rather telling when the person who swears Concord is a good game has spent more time running damage control than... actually playing the game.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Funniest part about this picture is - S&B started as part of the previous Industry GaaS push 15 years ago. It took so long to develop it skipped the entire market failure of the 10s and got on the second wave and still managed to bomb.

Also indicative of how this industry never learns from the past - not even an attempt to introspect was made, making all the same mistakes all over again a little more than a decade later.

Last edited:

Hey let's keep it real here ok, Hellblade 2 is massive dookie too and it was used to prop up the xbox series x console in the reveal trailer. Love to hate on this piece of shit concord all along, but at least it's still a game, not a tech demo :messenger_tears_of_joy:
It's a bit rich seeing people that were defending Hellblade 2 here somehow trying to take a moral highground

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Concord shows how wise that decision was. Better to take the small reputational hit by cancelling a game, than release something that bombs so massively. Much more high profile. Much more embarrassing.
They actually scored a few points with me for canceling a game no one wanted

But this Concord ride has been fun and I am so glad they pushed it out the door

Cracking Up Lol GIF

StereoVsn

Sony really going after GAAS as hard as possible. So itching for GAAS, they bought this studio last year to add Concord to their GAAS strategy. And I dont think Firewalk and Concord were even part of their powerpoint slides recap in 2022. So it was an incremental game count to their GAAS tally.

They probably realized some of their internal GAAS games were fizzling out. So they needed a quick fix GAAS game they can launch soon, which Concord fit the bill.
What’s wild is that anybody with 2 brain cells would have realized this shit was going to flop and flop hard. How in the world did Sony manage to do no due diligence on game’s prospects.

Top Bottom