• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord is being taken offline on September 6, purchases refunded

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
people didn't even gave this game a chance.
just talking shit about the game because of stupid pronouns and stuff
pretty sad
It's like Marvel vs Capcom Infinite. The gameplay may be good but the art direction was terrible and it turned a lot of people away from the game.

This is worse because they're trying to appeal to a small crowd of gamers.

If this game were to come back magically, they would have to *at least* re-design most of the characters.

it's funny how people still defend this. The market has spoken and rejected the game overwhelmingly because it failed to attract any audience. Its open beta on steam had peaked less than 2400 players, which is outright abysmal. The devs ignored all criticisms and responded by telling people to not buy the game, yet somehow it's the players who are "being unfair for not giving this a try". Why would anyone stick around and spend $40 when the free alternatives are better?

DruWepro

Banned
It's like Marvel vs Capcom Infinite. The gameplay may be good but the art direction was terrible and it turned a lot of people away from the game.

This is worse because they're trying to appeal to a small crowd of gamers.

If this game were to come back magically, they would have to *at least* re-design most of the characters.
i don't even care about the character design if a game is fun and has good gameplay.
especially in First Person games.

DruWepro

Banned
it's funny how people still defend this. The market has spoken and rejected the game overwhelmingly because it failed to attract any audience. Its open beta on steam had peaked less than 2400 players, which is outright abysmal. The devs ignored all criticisms and responded by telling people to not buy the game, yet somehow it's the players who are "being unfair for not giving this a try". Why would anyone stick around and spend $40 when the free alternatives are better?
The market has spoken and rejected the game overwhelmingly because it failed to attract any audience people didn't give it chance

i corrected that for you

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
If I were Firewalk, I would go back to the drawing board and revise the whole game incl new name. Work with the community to develop this game and listen to their wishes. I think it is a waste not to do anything more with it because there are plenty of assets that are perfectly usable.

TheGrat1

concorde-4590-300x225.jpg

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Going by reception and sales Concord is the biggest flop since ET…perhaps the biggest of all time
Imagine being responsible of a video game crash 😳

Concord lasted two weeks from start to finish.

My garbage/recycle bin pick ups alternate weekly. So each bin is picked up every two weeks. Concord couldnt last longer than my trash collection schedule.

ET bombed. But not just due to a lousy game. But overproduction of cartridges. The game actually sold 1.5M copies. Concord is an equally bad game and sold a fraction of the copies across a much bigger install base of PC/PS5 vs. 2600s. The fraction of copies sold is so low I cant even do the ballpark math in my head. I'd need a calculator to do it...... (which is 1.67% the copies sold vs ET)
So, what you're saying is, firewalk should consider adding ET in Concord and finally make their grand return, so they could sell 1.5M copies!! Their dream come true!!

Let's gooo

Emedan

Concord lasted two weeks from start to finish.

My garbage/recycle bin pick ups alternate weekly. So each bin is picked up every two weeks. Concord couldnt last longer than my trash collection schedule.

ET bombed. But not just due to a lousy game. But overproduction of cartridges. The game actually sold 1.5M copies. Concord is an equally bad game and sold a fraction of the copies across a much bigger install base of PC/PS5 vs. 2600s. The fraction of copies sold is so low I cant even do the ballpark math in my head. I'd need a calculator to do it...... (which is 1.67% the copies sold vs ET)
Dev cost for ET was like a week worth of pizza and dr pepper as well.

KiteGr

Don't worry, we still have marathon and fair games.
I'm not gonna bury them yet. Concord was very egregious with it's Wokeness and Blandness, but Fair games at this point in time has shown to be cringe at best. Writing off entire games isn't something we shouldn't take lightly.
At least wait for them to show signs of LGHDTV+ propaganda in their game before bashing them. I have to say though, watching at the DEI at their site info, things do not look promising.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I'm not gonna bury them yet. Concord was very egregious with it's Wokeness and Blandness, but Fair games at this point in time has shown to be cringe at best. Writing off entire games isn't something we shouldn't take lightly.
At least wait for them to show signs of LGHDTV+ propaganda in their game before bashing them. I have to say though, watching at the DEI at their site info, things do not look promising.
Yeah stronk black woman in front-center dressed like a no-more-oil activist trying to steal from rich bad people is definitely not in your face wokeness alright....

Sorry, but it's too late to trust sony until they show that they are changing route.

People's trust is on an historical low level with sony and its gaas projects, and for good fucking reasons dude.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Gold Member
If I were Firewalk, I would go back to the drawing board and revise the whole game incl new name. Work with the community to develop this game and listen to their wishes. I think it is a waste not to do anything more with it because there are plenty of assets that are perfectly usable.
They live in clown world, bro, they cant comprehend to this day what is wrong with those "rightwing cis male white gamers" that dont buy their stunning and brave concord game, its lost cause :)

Cyberpunkd

Who is this guy? And why do I constantly see his videos posted here (since even before my account got accepted)? I refuse to watch it, but I assume it's a Youtube just parroting the "current topic". And by the looks of it, he also needs a bath/shower
You don't know Asmongold? The guy is wholesome fun for us boomers (and by boomers I mean 30+).

KiteGr

Who is this guy? And why do I constantly see his videos posted here (since even before my account got accepted)? I refuse to watch it, but I assume it's a Youtube just parroting the "current topic". And by the looks of it, he also needs a bath/shower
He says he's a developer who apparently also makes Yt videos. He kind of exploded recently after criticising Concord.

KiteGr

Yeah stronk black woman in front-center dressed like a no-more-oil activist trying to steal from rich bad people is definitely not in your face wokeness alright....

Sorry, but it's too late to trust sony until they show that they are changing route.

People trust is on an historical low level with sony and its gaas projects, and for good fucking reasons dude.
I've been hating Woke ever since they gave Star wars and He-Man to feminists.
However let's not become a mindless angry mob. Being mindless is their thing.

If the signs for FareGames prove true in future trailers and gameplay and we start seeing pronouns, trans and half shave boss girls, then we'll rip it a new asshole and then ignore it to death.
Until then, let's give them the benefit of the doubt.

Senua

Just some nerd who people listen to for some reason, I've watched a few vids and don't get it, seems kinda man-child like.

GymWolf

Gold Member

If the signs for FareGames prove true in future trailers and gameplay and we start seeing pronouns, trans and half shave boss girls, then we'll rip it a new asshole and then ignore it to death.
Sure we can wait to see more but i already see some red flags and sony really doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt for now.

It's less about being mindless and more about recognising patterns.

Ultros

Banned
Future reserve currency will be concord controllers

rWkQYmz.png
Buyer: "Sir how much is the Honda?"
Dealership: "It's very expensive"
Buyer: "How many Concord Controllers did you say???? That's insane, I'm going to another dealership."
Friend: "Things are crazy these days mate, they quoted me about 11 concord controllers yesterday for that repair on my roof."

The market has spoken and rejected the game overwhelmingly because it failed to attract any audience people didn't give it chance

i corrected that for you

People "didn't give it a chance" because the product was not appealing to them. There is no contradiction.

As a general rule, consumers don't have to give anything a chance. It's the TV show, the game or the movie that has to draw people's interest by being attractive, intriguing, and genuine. Concord wasn't any of that.

Nikodemos

Worth noting that Concord is part of Jim Ryan's heavy push into GaaS, given the timeframe of its initial design start.
I remember, even at that time, people side-eyeing this "all chips on Red" approach.
Seems like the naysayers were right.

DrFigs

Worth noting that Concord is part of Jim Ryan's heavy push into GaaS, given the timeframe of its initial design start.
I remember, even at that time, people side-eyeing this "all chips on Red" approach.
Seems like the naysayers were right.
I mean if it's been in development for 8 years, it seems unlikely that this would be Jim Ryan's fault.

laynelane

People "didn't give it a chance" because the product was not appealing to them. There is no contradiction.

As a general rule, consumers don't have to give anything a chance. It's the TV show, the game or the movie that has to draw people's interest by being attractive, intriguing, and genuine. Concord wasn't any of that.

I've seen this line of thought repeated elsewhere too - that it's somehow the customers' fault that Concord failed. It's baffling, to be frank. Not only did Concord fail to appeal to the audience, it was exceedingly obvious there were issues prior to release. The beta numbers, the general feedback from the first reveal onward, etc. It was clear there were some problems with how the game was being received and the response from the devs and Sony was to ignore it and go full steam ahead. As well, the idea that people should spend their money to give a product "a chance" is ludicrous.

Nikodemos

I mean if it's been in development for 8 years, it seems unlikely that this would be Jim Ryan's fault.
For a game of this size, the first year and a bit tends to concentrate on pre-production stuff. And, in this particular instance, 8 years points to a major rework at some point during development (not dissimilar to what Cyberpunk suffered). Ryan was one of the senior decisionmakers between 2017 and 2019 (when he eventually became CEO of SIE).

Bernardougf

people didn't even gave this game a chance.
just talking shit about the game because of stupid pronouns and stuff
pretty sad
This "pronouns and stuff" where always on the forefront of the game development and PR by the devs, so it was clearly very important to them, if it is important to them why the fuck it shouldn't be important to the consumer, more exactly to me ? They can make the decisions they want to make and make the game they want to make exactly like they envisioned.. and we are supposed to ignore it all ? And just consume product ? Because the weapon goes bang bang good enough? Fuck off.

Last edited:
I've seen this line of thought repeated elsewhere too - that it's somehow the customers' fault that Concord failed. It's baffling, to be frank. Not only did Concord fail to appeal to the audience, it was exceedingly obvious there were issues prior to release. The beta numbers, the general feedback from the first reveal onward, etc. It was clear there were some problems with how the game was being received and the response from the devs and Sony was to ignore it and go full steam ahead. As well, the idea that people should spend their money to give a product "a chance" is ludicrous.
They dismissed it as white noise.

No game is owed a chance. My time is valuable and I'm certainly not spending it and money on something that doesn't appeal to me.

Darchaos

This they/them/him/her/it/insert what you want here, over at reee has to be on crack, right?

I think things are blown out of proportion here. The game will probably release again as a f2p with lots of cosmetics and will, probably, do fine. I think this was the smart action to take towards generating income from the game. It will resurface after some time with a small improvement or two and people will definitely try it out. For some it will stick and money will come from there. Being f2p will also bring some 'im not interested but I'll give it a try' players and some might like it.

Nikodemos

I think things are blown out of proportion here. The game will probably release again as a f2p with lots of cosmetics and will, probably, do fine.
It getting retooled as F2P would mean even more money spent on redevelopment. Given how spectacularly it has bombed the first time around, I wouldn't be surprised if Hulst (or whomever has final say) gets cold feet and decides to just pour several shovelfuls of earth over it, Hyenas-style.

Bernardougf

His not talking about fairgames .. its about sony and their decisions of lately... just the fact that they bought this studio and game (concord) mid development its a MAJOR redflag ... someone has gone to visit the studio with this devs and saw this games and thought "SOLD" . The benefit of the doubt its lost my friend. But you make a fair point, this time will come for you to and others, unless they strongly course correct wich may well happen since they are a Japanese Company afterall ... if it was all up to california, then fuck, they would be already lost.

Last edited:

DrFigs

His not talking about fairgames .. its about sony and their decisions of lately... just the fact that they bought this studio and game (concord) mid development its a MAJOR redflag ... someone has gone to visit the studio with this devs and saw this games and thought "SOLD" . The benefit of the doubt its lost my friend. But you make a fair point, this time will come for you to and others, unless they strongly course correct wich may well happen since they are a Japanese Company afterall ... if it was all up to california, then fuck, they would be already lost.
Yeah i think the decision of seeing the game and deciding to buy the studio before it released was a major mistake. Idk if that as Jim Ryan or Hermen Hulst, but yes, someone clearly doesn't understand the market. If it is Hermen Hulst, he should be fired immediately.

Top Bottom