• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord is being taken offline on September 6, purchases refunded

N30RYU

Talentless is the right term here, but also delusional.
They really seem to believe that this so called modern audience exists and that implementing their own mindsets makes sense, but end up with surprised pikachu faces when their products fail. Instead of then contemplating what could have led to failure, they double down that it must have been men/racist/bigots/toxic people/…
The problem at hand: “I am a victim, everyone who doesn’t agree with me is against me, other opinions are wrong”
Animated GIF

Sith Woke

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Of course they would think like that.
For people like these, it's never their own fault, because that would mean their ideology would be wrong.
So they always have to blame other people.

Just like this

We just didn’t buy it. It’s their community they have to blame to not being present and support.

They managed to be insufferable for years and twist arms of devs by scare tactics. They thought they were above everyone and the voice to fear or you’ll get cancelled, but they forgot that we can simply vote with our wallet 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

kevboard

why would you make an overwatch-type a pay to play game? didn't work with Battleborn, of course it wasn't going to work here either. It needed to be F2P day one.

Battleborn wasn't even an Overwatch like. and also Overwatch wasn't free 2 play either.

Battleborn died because the devs were too retarded to just tell people what the game is...

I googled the exact quote of Randi Pitchtard real quick where he tried to describe the game:
hobby-grade coop campaign; genre-blended, multi-mode competitive e-sports; meta-growth, choice + epic Battleborn Heroes!

WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FUCK MY DUDE... it's a MOBA... a fucking MOBA with a coop campaign... that's it.
there is not genre blending, there is no "multi mode" whatever the fuck that's even supposed to mean, as if not every MP game has multiple game modes. IT'S A MOBA...

it is absolutely mindboggling how bad the messaging for this game was.
all he had to do is tell people that it's a MOBA that also has a coop campaign. Overwatch is not a MOBA, so you have instant differentiation there (although back then many game "jounralists" called Overwatch a MOBA, because they're all hacks)

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I’m going to say it.

Star Wars was better when it was targeted to boys/men.

Of course it was.

The same way Barbie was massively popular because it was targeted at women.

You can’t just fucking change boy stuff to bring more women in and expect success.

We like some things. They like some things.

Make our stuff for us. Their stuff for them.

Equality isn’t spun out of warping male IP towards women. It comes from making as much stuff for women as men.

Last edited:
Just like this

We just didn’t buy it. It’s their community they have to blame to not being present and support.

They managed to be insufferable for years and twist arms of devs by scare tactics. They thought they were above everyone and the voice to fear or you’ll get cancelled, but they forgot that we can simply vote with our wallet 🤷‍♂️

Capitalism is a tough bitch

You can't force people to spend money by telling then they are racist, sexist, phobic, right wing, etc.

What actually happens is you scream at them and they are like "ok" and just go away and don't buy the trash you are trying to push

I wonder how much more money Hollywood plans on losing before they figure this out

hinch7

This must be the hardest 'go woke go broke' evidence in history
Pretty much up there as the worst. The Marvels also tanked at $237M loss. But at least people turned up to watch that movie.

This was a paultry 25K sales that didn't even break $1 million; when you account for sales on Steam. For a production and marketing of an estimated 180M, this is a fucking disaster.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Just like this

And I bet white men made up the largest demographic playing Concord. Just like men made up 70-something percent of The Marvels preview audience.

These people are idiots. Imagine if a bunch of activist men infiltrated Hollywood and tried to “fix” romance movies by making them star some average looking self-insert dude with a dad bod and made him 100x stronger, braver, and smarter than all the women he bosses around and talks down to. And then tried to blame all those horrible women for watching something else, even though men hated it just as much.

This must be the hardest 'go woke go broke' evidence in history
To be fair, it didn't bomb purely because it went "woke". The awful visual design is just one of many problems. It was more like a perfect storm of bad business decisions. The game was bland, boring, and derivative with a $40 price tag, in a genre that has gone f2p. It had poor numbers in both of its betas. The devs were delusional enough to respond with the negative reception by attacking the players, telling them not to buy the game. Then you have lack of oversight from Sony, which not only allowed 8 years of development and 100+ millions invested, but also bought the studio last year even though it has no proven track record (this is their first game).

Both the studio and Sony are equally responsible for this mess.

laynelane

I wonder if this drastic step is being taken because Concord is causing brand damage for Sony. I was thinking about that the other day. Not all Sony games are hits, but Concord is failing on a totally different level than any other title previously. The discourse around it has been profoundly negative, as well. Plus, thanks to Steam, it's been a very public failure too.

On another note, Sony is offering refunds for a game that didn't deliver on what it promised. Other publishers are probably looking at Sony like:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
To be fair, it didn't bomb purely because it went "woke". The awful visual design is just one of many problems.

I bet if they had some good character designs with sex appeal and masculinity/femininity, and got rid of the gender pronouns, they would’ve had at least an order of magnitude more people who gave it a shot. And they probably wouldn’t be shutting it down 2 weeks after launch.

Yeah it’d most likely be fucked still, but it would be merely a flop that lost money, instead of one of the greatest flops of all time that resulted in a total loss.

And hell, maybe it even would’ve been possible to maintain a small but enthusiastic fanbase while they improved it and turned it around.

CLW

Part of what I hate about these fucking loonies, is that I'm not right wing. Far from it, but they act like anyone who doesn't align with their narrow perspective is automatically right wing. They've warped the idea of progressive sooo fucking much, that they don't see that they've become what they claim to hate. God I hate these fucking people.
It’s because in their world (which they never have ventured into “red America” hell most have never left San Fran or a similar ilk local) they see NOONE 1/10 as conservative as me so to them you are some far right loon.

They have ZERO perspective of the actual population/gaming audience at large

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I wonder if this drastic step is being taken because Concord is causing brand damage for Sony. I was thinking about that the other day. Not all Sony games are hits, but Concord is failing on a totally different level than any other title previously. The discourse around it has been profoundly negative, as well. Plus, thanks to Steam, it's been a very public failure too.

On another note, Sony is offering refunds for a game that didn't deliver on what it promised. Other publishers are probably looking at Sony like:

I think it's also motivated by how little money they really had to refund.

Toons

Largely, yeah lol. Having a female lead doesn't necessarily mean that its not aimed at men, and most of the stuff that has out out continues to be seen mostly by males, even the "female led" stuff(which is pretty much just ahsoka, rogue one and maaaaaybe acolyte with a pretty even presence of both)

Top Bottom