• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord is being taken offline on September 6, purchases refunded

paolo11

I know this sounds mean and I apologize but let’s be honest, the celebration of this game’s failure is warranted/valid. Why? Because if this game is a success, we will see more trash games like this in the future.

If they want to make political driven games, they should develop it on the dark web for free (just like the controversial demon game ).

Of course it was.

The same way Barbie was massively popular because it was targeted at women.

You can’t just fucking change boy stuff to bring more women in and expect success.

We like some things. They like some things.

Make our stuff for us. Their stuff for them.

Equality isn’t spun out of warping male IP towards women. It comes from making as much stuff for women as men.
This right here. And it's what these companies don't get. They think they can draw in more audiences and use fake data to do it. We all know most women (not all) aren't into console games, but they will pull out the chart with 50% women playing games. Sure but they leave out that most of them are playing candy crush, Sims, animal crossing, tetris, or x phone game. Guess what that is OK. Some women will play shooters and rpgs but they are few and far between. Make games that cater to women and games that cater to men, we had that previously until around 2014ish it started to change.

Men and women are different with some overlap. My wife only plays 2d video games, candy crush, Mario party, wii sports, or tetris. My ex wife only played candy crush and game shows. My gf before that it was brain age on the ds. I only was with one woman who actually played console rpgs and that was in the 90s (she was also into partying to hard like I was at the time) and was a rarity.

People get upset for stating facts, but it's true. Companies will keep failing until they realize they aren't going to please everyone. Specialize and make games for certain people or genres. It's really that simple.

Bombolone

Gold Member
Largely, yeah lol. Having a female lead doesn't necessarily mean that its not aimed at men, and most of the stuff that has out out continues to be seen mostly by males, even the "female led" stuff(which is pretty much just ahsoka, rogue one and maaaaaybe acolyte with a pretty even presence of both)
A piece of entertainment (movie/show) is experienced much more through characterization, themes, music, acting, composition (the list goes on) then I would say the gender of the person.

Is Ripley a badass woman? Hell yeah she is.
And that matters to me only in conversations which ask me to quantify such a thing.
It doesn't matter to me when watching the movie. She is awesome for her character. What she does, what she says. HOW she says it. How she reacts to things...
(and that goes for literally every spoken word, grain of sand on the screen that I am watching)
How do the writers/actors/directors/costumedesigners etc. make me believe their story.

I think a question (after a decade) for Disney is,
Why can't they do it?
Why can't they make Star Wars successful?
Why can't they write well.

I believe 'Targeted' does not simply mean a change in genders. (unless I missed a previous post)

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Star wars still is lmao

archerfilmfestival-web-img_4330_-_h_2017.jpg

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
It reminds me of this event. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_video_game_burial

Imagine the people in 2050 digging this turd out of a New Mexico landfill. James Rolfe grandson will be making the 520th AVGN episode about Concord to commemorate one of the largest commercial video game failure.

Edit : Jeez, Concord is already in the link above lol..

Going by reception and sales Concord is the biggest flop since ET…perhaps the biggest of all time

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Going by reception and sales Concord is the biggest flop since ET…perhaps the biggest of all time
Concord lasted two weeks from start to finish.

My garbage/recycle bin pick ups alternate weekly. So each bin is picked up every two weeks. Concord couldnt last longer than my trash collection schedule.

ET bombed. But not just due to a lousy game. But overproduction of cartridges. The game actually sold 1.5M copies. Concord is an equally bad game and sold a fraction of the copies across a much bigger install base of PC/PS5 vs. 2600s. The fraction of copies sold is so low I cant even do the ballpark math in my head. I'd need a calculator to do it...... (which is 1.67% the copies sold vs ET)

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Concord is certainly a milestone mark in the gaming history with how much of a failure it is

Cyberpunkd

However, while many qualities of the experience resonated with players, we also recognize that other aspects of the game and our initial launch didn’t land the way we’d intended. Therefore, at this time, we have decided to take the game offline beginning September 6, 2024, and explore options, including those that will better reach our players.
I work corporate and I find language like this absolutely dreadful. “Including those that will better reach our players” - WTF does that mean?

No, it was just such an irredeemable piece of shit that it got shut down in 11 days and all refunded.
don't you understand that would've been better?

j9qlWDL.jpeg

the fact that the game was not a broken, unpolished turd (like redfall) implies that Concord was rejected by the market beyond the game itself. The idea, vision, world and "humane" character desing faced complete market rejection.

don't you understand that would've been better?

j9qlWDL.jpeg

the fact that the game was not a broken, unpolished turd (like redfall) implies that Concord was rejected by the market beyond the game itself. The idea, vision, world and "humane" character desing faced complete market rejection.
Whatever helps you sleep better lol

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I work corporate and I find language like this absolutely dreadful. “Including those that will better reach our players” - WTF does that mean?
That sentence sounds odd. Like a high school essay.

When it comes to something like gaming, I'd prefer if companies in bad situations responded to gamers in a more lighthearted way like KFC taking things in stride with their FCK marketing. It's supposed to be a fun industry. Not english class.

However, while many qualities of the experience resonated with players, we also recognize that other aspects of the game and our initial launch didn’t land the way we’d intended. Therefore, at this time, we have decided to take the game offline beginning September 6, 2024, and explore options, including those that will better reach our players...
Plane-Crash-1.jpg

Doczu

SW Acolyte - discontinued
Concord - was/were
Dustborn - Stilborn

The "modern progressive" audience doesn't exist. The more agressive a publisher/developer is, the harder the product bombs.

Now let's try to use the Power Of Maaaaannyyyyyy and crush Rings of Power, the upcoming LoTR "anime" and course correct GamesWorkshop before they crash and burn.

RickSanchez

I will play devils advocate and say there are people that play videogames for escapism, but also those that want games to mirror real life. Oppressed /marginalised communities cannot do nothing in real life but in the fantasy world they can stand up to their oppressors and win.
I get it. That is part of the fantasy/escapism. To represent you race/minority group in a fictional world and be a protagonist/champion for them. But there are already so many games who let you do this. Atleast most big AAA games that let you create your character such as BG3, Cyberpunk, Starfield, Dragon's Dogma - in these you can roleplay your own race, gender and sexual orientation. Linear story driven games are more of a problem where the player-character's race, gender and orientation may be pre-defined.

I hold Kottick in high regard
Oh good grief, i guess most people won't share that view given how badly he treated his employees

Top Bottom