• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zukuu

Banned
Holy shit, there is an reward for clearing the game without dying and another for clearing the game without using a bonfire. O__o

rewards:
Illusory Ring of a Conqueror
Left hand weapon becomes invisible
Clear game without dying

Illusory Ring of the Exalted
Right hand weapon becomes invisible
Clear game without resting at bonfire

Ultrabum

Mind telling me where the correct way is? I guess I'm blind because this seemed like the only path to take

go back to the starting town. Next to the locked big house there are stairs going down. They appear to dead end, after a curved staircase, but it is not a dead end. High on the wall is a tiny ring switch that you can pull to open the door.

elohel

7ny9nZa.gif

Just made this in anticipation of the PC version. The console versions are so tempting but the resolution kills it for me.

this resolution stuff drives me crazy

you cannot tell the difference between 720 and 1080p from the average distance it's viewed on televisions if you're sitting up close that's another story but

if you're gaming in 1080p on pc it's not that much of a perceptible change

also, guys this game doesn't look bad, hate to break it to you but it doesn't

Soriku

Holy shit, there is an reward for clearing the game without dying and another for clearing the game without using a bonfire. O__o

rewards:
Clear game without dying

No bonfires is one thing, but without dying? Damn. The final boss better be available early on lol.

The rewards don't seem great anyway.

Astral

rewards:
Clear game without dying

Holy shit I can't stop laughing. This is INSANE! I wanna see this happen on youtube.

you cannot tell the difference between 720 and 1080p from the average distance it's viewed on televisions if you're sitting up close that's another story but

I bought the game on PS3, I don't mind the resolution, but don't start with this shit.

Zukuu

Banned
No bonfires is one thing, but without dying? Damn. The final boss better be available early on lol.

The rewards don't seem great anyway.

think about pvp. imagine someone enters your world with
no shield / weapon lol. You need to know to be able to defend yourself properly.

Zeliard

What's the point of dual wielding?

Having instantaneous access to two different 1H movesets - one in each hand - and two 2H movesets without ever changing weapons, along with special dual attacks if using two weapons of the same class with the proper stats.

To put it simply, it gives you a lot of offensive versatility.

Ferrio

Banned
Having instantaneous access to two different 1H movesets - one in each hand - and two 2H movesets without ever changing weapons, along with special dual attacks if using two weapons of the same class with the proper stats.

How do you do that?

go back to the starting town. Next to the locked big house there are stairs going down. They appear to dead end, after a curved staircase, but it is not a dead end. High on the wall is a tiny ring switch that you can pull to open the door.

Wow this makes a hell of a lot more sense I can actually progress again thanks a ton

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!

rewards:
Clear game without dying

Looking forward to see this runs =D

Garcia

And it feels so good, man.

Lace

How many times has this been debunked?

I'll be playing on a 2560*1440 monitor in native resolution, there will be a substantial difference between that and the console versions (disregarding other improvements to image quality). I am very impressed they got the console versions to 720p though.

MechaX

Welp, reached my "first" boss.
Why Ornstein, why?!
And after getting steamrolled by that, I
decided to fight the actual first boss; dunno why I had so much problems with him; I blame my fatass knight who can't seem to roll without needing to take a breather. But it's down, whatever.

hold triangle / y with 2 weapons of the same class (e.g. sword, dagger etc). you'll enter a special "dual wield stance" that uses unique attacks.

Pretty sure holding triangle / y only makes you two hand your left handed weapon, rather than your right handed weapon via simply pressing triangle / y - so it's not really a "special" move set. This is also explained in game in the starting area on one of the tomb like messages.

Haven't got one yet but I found out how. Spoilers ahead.

There's a blacksmith named McDuff in The Lost Bastille that wants a Dull Ember. The Dull Ember is in some place called the Iron Keep. Once you give it to him he sells it for 5000 souls.

I just need to figure out where the
Iron Keep
is. I feel your pain, fellow katana using brother.

Aeana

It's one thing when I make a mistake and attack a chest, it's another entirely when an enemy does it. Jerks. JERKS.

OK my torch timer says I have ten minutes. How the hell do I use torches?
You can light them at bonfires. Press triangle to toggle between "rest at bonfire" and "light the torch."

So i bought the game guide just to have something to read occasionally, but i'm thinking i might just return it.

Is it worth having to read on the can or something?

Eh i'll probably send it back.

Haven't got one yet but I found out how. Spoilers ahead.

There's a blacksmith named McDuff in The Lost Bastille that wants a Dull Ember. The Dull Ember is in some place called the Iron Keep. Once you give it to him he sells it for 5000 souls.

I just need to figure out where the
Iron Keep
is. I feel your pain, fellow katana using brother.

NOOOOOOOOOOO

Jobbs

Banned
Man. This game just keeps going. It's so huge. It's. So. Big. It's gonna keep us busy for a while.

The rabbit hole just keeps getting deeper, it's the classic dark souls feeling.

BTW, I found a ring which seems to be VERY powerful.
It's called Old Sun Ring. It makes it so if you take too much damage the attacker explodes. It was exploding on the tauren dudes in the curse area for about 3/4 their hp. If it works this way in PVP I foresee this being a common PVP item. It's found in the ghost fog area in a chest. It's behind the gate with the stone woman blocking the lever and the dude sitting there being creeped out by her.

Zeliard

And it feels so good, man.

Yep. And going 2H also lets you parry.

And you have three weapon slots for each hand so you can mix and match in all sorts of ways.

Dual wielding is pretty much everything I hoped it would be. Very cool addition.

Pretty sure holding triangle / y only makes you two hand your left handed weapon, rather than your right handed weapon via simply pressing triangle / y - so it's not really a "special" move set. This is also explained in game in the starting area on one of the tomb like messages.

That only happens if you're using two weapons of different classes, or you don't have the stats to go into the power stance (which requires ~1.5x the stat reqs, apparently).

And there are definitely special dual attacks. For example, if you have a dagger in each hand and go into the power stance, hitting L1 just once does a quick one-two swipe with each hand, and hitting L2 does a cool vertical slice using both weapons simultaneously.

Chake

Banned
I started as a SM and am having second thoughts. Should i just continue and make my character a warrior build or restart?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Duke's Dear Freja
...fuck this boss. Combat always takes a shit when there's multiple enemies around.

deeTyrant

Alright early impression:

I'm so far enjoying the game as a whole, but haven't made up my mind about some of the changes just yet.

I started the game as deprived, found a dagger in the tutorial areas and was stuck with that for quite a bit. It made the early game quite crazy, the group encounters in the forest were tough with such short range.

In the early goings I'm finding having a Rapier in my off hand far more useful than a shield. Whenever I'm in groups blocking seems to just be a recipe for disaster. I use the rapier to interrupt the enemy attack animation and then go to town with my right hand weapon, using the rapier again whenever I need to realign myself.

I'm really starting to notice how reliant I was on backstabs and counters in Demons and Dark Souls, cause in this game I'm getting my shit wrecked constantly, I've been hoping to get my roll back up to snuff by pumping points into agility but I haven't really noticed a significant difference in my rolls.

Anyway time to stop for now, and hopefully I'll get a chance to play some more tomorrow.

Zidy

Man, this game is tough. I'm really itching for a new weapon or something. Haven't found too much equipment wise. Btw does anyone know where I can farm titanite shards? The blacksmith seems to only have a limited supply and I wanted to experiment with some of the weapons I have.

Amazing game though. I'm getting that awestruck feeling I got when I first played Demon's/DS1

Chake

Banned
Where is the spell vendor in this game. Soul arrow isn't cutting it. I could also use more than 2 estus flasks -_-

i found two Estus Shards in the game so far. One is in Majula, and the other is in the temple with the vendor thats sells you the key for the blacksmith ( the same place where the debut gameplay was shown for the game).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom