• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone please explain to me how the death penalty works and what the items are that fix it? I died once and it looks like my max health is already lowered. Damn . . .

Sullichin

Duke's Dear Freja...fuck this boss. Combat always takes a shit when there's multiple enemies around.

I just destroyed this boss with three 2H R2 two hit combos with the Great Club. It was really satisfying after dying a few times.
I just ignored the other spiders, once I learned the tell for the laser attack I ran across to the other head and hit it with the combo.

Dual Wielders: What weapons are you using? I'm still at the starting Swordsman weapons but thinking about dual Falchion after learning that
Uchigatana is so freaking far away

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Can someone please explain to me how the death penalty works and what the items are that fix it? I died once and it looks like my max health is already lowered. Damn . . .

Drops 10% (?) every death to 50% total at the lowest point. Go kill those giants in
Heide's Tower
and you can get the
Binding Ring
. It's reachable via the tunnel in Majula.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XwbygNMtFQ

Every time you die, you lose a bit of your max HP, up to 50%. Use (don't burn!) a human effigy to restore yourself to human and negate the HP change. There's also a ring that helps raise your max HP when it's been lowered.

This mechanic was in Demon's Souls. I guess many people didn't play that game, I'm a little surprised to see so many people surprised by this.

Just started, here's what I came away with.

+ They put in
a real town!
Oh my god, the thing I wanted most in this game from playing the last ones!
+ Combat feels great and different, which is best.
+ Enemy design and not level design but area design is really solid so far.

- Worst
tutorial section yet in a souls game
, imo. I like that it's skippable... but come on, as a souls fan I couldn't do that.
- L3 jump. Wtf, the circle wasn't the best, but this is far worse.
- Where the hell are torches? I'm pretty sure I picked one up, and a section of the tutorial told me to use one to light something... might be a brain fart on my part...
- To much exposition/talking in the beginning section.
The town's awesome
, but there's like
ten npcs
before you hit any real sections, all with exhaustive dialogue chains... that's too much, too early.

Anyways, I bashed myself against that fire castle area with the giant knights for an hour, decided to try another area tommorow. I have confidence the game will pick up, but that was an especially weak start, gotta say.

I'll leave my impressions on a positive note, I thought the old witch's final line of dialogue was fucking brilliant, in that last beginning cut scene lol. Something about, "oh who am I kidding, you're going to lose your souls over, and over again!"

Edit: Oh yeah, forgot something, this has by far the worst character custimization tools I have ever laid hands on. The fact there's a delay between adjustments, my god. Fucking terrible.... I stress I can't wait to play more though. But that was criminal.

whats the deal with the torches? you can't just bring out one with time on it at a random spot, you have to bring it from statue to statue? is there any point to that besides just lighting up the whole world? seems kind of ridiculous

Thanks for the heads up for the torches. Man I got a key for the
mansion and thought for sure you would find a map the guy was talking about but alas, there was nothing there
. Also I was in the giant forest, got all the way to an area with board walks, etc and can't seem to figure any further way to proceed. Is it time I turned around and went somewhere else?

Thank you digital distribution. Decided to be spontaneous and pick this up on the way home from work. Fight through a bit of traffic to get to the nearest GameStop, see the display right in front of me as soon as I walk in, pick up the PS3 "box" and take it to the counter. Neckbeard behind the counter looks at it, looks at me, and gives me an "oooh... did you pre-order? Maybe the stores in Century City or Westside Pavillion still have a copy." Fuuuuck that noise. So I do a 180, go back out the door and drive over to the Best Buy around the corner. That place is just a fucking mess. Every single shelf is just a random collection of games in no discernible order. I wander around the shelves with PS3 games but don't see any evidence that the game ever existed in this store. Flag down another neckbeard who tells me I have to go poke around the cage in the front of the store where they lock up the valuables to see if they have a copy. Fucking ridiculous. Why would I shop retail if I have to do this much work to buy what I want?

Thank you digital distribution for making my life easier. I got home, turned on the PS3 and started downloading, played with my kid a bit, ate dinner, put the baby to bed, just in time to... kill another 10 minutes and write this while it finishes installing. Ha! But I will take that every goddamn time over retail.

Listonosh

- Worst
tutorial section yet in a souls game
, imo. I like that it's skippable... but come on, as a souls fan I couldn't do that.
- Where the hell are torches? I'm pretty sure I picked one up, and a section of the tutorial told me to use one to light something... might be a brain fart on my part...
- To much exposition/talking in the beginning section.
The town's awesome
, but there's like
ten npcs
before you hit any real sections, all with exhaustive dialogue chains... that's too much, too early.

You can change Jump to Circle/B again in the Options menu. Also, Torches need to be lit by a bonfire or by another source of fire, unless you have a specific item that lights them anywhere. You can't actually equip or select them from your menu.

Just started, here's what I came away with.

You can change it back to circle via options :3

Press triangle at a bonfire and then X to activate torch!

Every time you die, you lose a bit of your max HP, up to 50%. Use (don't burn!) a human effigy to restore yourself to human and negate the HP change. There's also a ring that helps raise your max HP when it's been lowered.

This mechanic was in Demon's Souls. I guess many people didn't play that game, I'm a little surprised to see so many people surprised by this.

Awesome. I played Demon's Souls (beat it twice), but I don't remember the mechanic being exactly like this!

You can change Jump to Circle/B again in the Options menu. Also, Torches need to be lit by a bonfire or by another source of fire, unless you have a specific item that lights them anywhere. You can't actually equip or select them from your menu.

You can change it back to circle via options :3

Press triangle at a bonfire and then X to activate torch!

I checked the options and missed that... thanks a bunch guys!

Prototype

Had the day off, spent almost all of it playing the game. Man, it's really everything I could have wanted thus far. The new world is amazing and super fun to explore. I'm having an absolute blast. Didn't get very far just beat the
last giant

Thank you From!

Love that tower in Mujala that tells you the current worldwide death count. lol, I was rapidly clicking on it earlier and the numbers were jumping up between button presses lol, sometimes by 8 or more. Was a little over 2,000,000 deaths when I was looking at it about an hour ago.

Also, really liking that there are more NPCs to talk with throughout the world. Makes the game feel more alive and helps to impress the world is suffering. Setting is excellent and some moments have been down right beautiful. Finally, the music so far has been great, really love taking it all in.

This is what I've been waiting for. Traveling through a new Souls world without a clue as to where I should go or what I should be doing.

edit: I like that Vendors have limited supplies of items. Man, I could go on and on. Today was a great day, felt like a kid again sitting in front of the Super Nintendo, bursting with excitement.

edit2: took me a bit to figure out the torches too. But I got it, no tutorial needed! Just some time with the game.

Gorillaz

How do you parry in dual wield?

like normal, L2

Also... Where is the
drake sword? :p
lV2kE.png

Shengar

Man. This game just keeps going. It's so huge. It's. So. Big. It's gonna keep us busy for a while.

The rabbit hole just keeps getting deeper, it's the classic dark souls feeling.

BTW, I found a ring which seems to be VERY powerful.
It's called Old Sun Ring. It makes it so if you take too much damage the attacker explodes. It was exploding on the tauren dudes in the curse area for about 3/4 their hp. If it works this way in PVP I foresee this being a common PVP item. It's found in the ghost fog area in a chest. It's behind the gate with the stone woman blocking the lever and the dude sitting there being creeped out by her.
I guess it only activates when you received large instance of damage in short period of time, which mean it wouldn't work if the enemy stabs bit by bit or by bleeding then? Makes me wonder if it works against backstab or not.

Thanks for the heads up for the torches. Man I got a key for the
mansion and thought for sure you would find a map the guy was talking about but alas, there was nothing there
. Also I was in the giant forest, got all the way to an area with board walks, etc and can't seem to figure any further way to proceed. Is it time I turned around and went somewhere else?
The map is there, it's not what you think. Go back after beating a boss and it'll all make sense

Zukuu

Banned
Pretty sure holding triangle / y only makes you two hand your left handed weapon, rather than your right handed weapon via simply pressing triangle / y - so it's not really a "special" move set. This is also explained in game in the starting area on one of the tomb like messages.
I'm pretty sure it works that way. Get the 1.5x stats that are required to wield them. Have both of the same kind: dual wielding fun.

Calibus

Okay finished the
Giant Forest and tower
. Absolutely love this game so far! Love it! Love it! Love it! Graphics are great (notably better looking than DS1) and framerate is great on PS3. For those who may still be worried about how the game looks and plays -- don't be. You will fall in love with it. Controls and the way familiar things are executed is a tad different, so there is a bit of a learning curve.

No invasions yet, which is odd. I know they're coming though.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
What should be the third boss then?

Not sure where this quote came from but:

I think it should go Last Giant, Pursuer if you have help then Heide for the two bosses THEN to No'Man's Wharf and finally to Ruin Sentinels if that is the hold up.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Going to take a break now, currently at SL 84, here is a pic of my character taken with my potato
G9IPeh8.jpg

PS: Greatsword is GODLY

Hey quick question regarding my very first ever psn pre-order. Here in Australia the release date is the 14th, and i've already downloaded and installed the game. When can you normally start playing a digital pre-order, the moment midnight hits?

Zeliard

Awesome. I played Demon's Souls (beat it twice), but I don't remember the mechanic being exactly like this!

It's not totally the same. When you died in Demon's as human you lost 50% of your max health instantly (which could be mitigated to some degree with the popular Cling Ring), as opposed to a portion of health for each death.

What really makes Dark Souls 2 different in that respect is the relatively limited healing, at least until you start stacking up life gems (which are still not quite like the herbs in Demon's Souls), as well as the numbered enemy respawns.

People can potentially get themselves into a lot of trouble if they get down to 50% HP, have no more effigies, no bonfire ascetics, little healing, and have wiped out all enemy respawns in certain areas (other additional problems can include things like broken weapons and no more souls to fix them).

In the previous Souls games, if you hit a wall, you could always start grinding souls and farming upgrades and gear drops and eventually brute-force your way through. That doesn't seem nearly as feasible this time around.

Gurrry

It's not totally the same. When you died in Demon's as human you lost 50% of your max health instantly (which could be mitigated to some degree with the popular Cling Ring), as opposed to a portion of health for each death.

What really makes Dark Souls 2 different in that respect is the relatively limited healing, at least until you start stacking up life gems (which are still not quite like the herbs in Demon's Souls), as well as the numbered enemy respawns.

People can potentially get themselves into a lot of trouble if they get down to 50% HP, have no more effigies, no bonfire ascetics, little healing, and have wiped out all enemy respawns in certain areas (other additional problems can include things like broken weapons and no more souls to fix them).

In the previous Souls games, if you hit a wall, you could always start grinding souls and farming upgrades and gear drops and eventually brute-force your way through. That doesn't seem nearly as feasible this time around.

I really hope it doesnt come into play. As much as im loving this game, I honestly think its a dumb mechanic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom