• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

xPhinehas

Playing last night I dropped
Petrified Something in the bird nest in the tutorial area,
ended up dying came back and it had turned into the freaking Channeler's Trident! Too bad I'm a Knight. Is this still a rare drop?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Wow, the framerate on my PS3 copy is terrible. Like I'm reminded of Ocarina of Time.

But man, incredible, but man the framerate suuuuuucks.
It's actually worse in the beginning, I think. Once you enter (and leave) Majula for other areas it's better. Or so it seemed to me. Ever since I started the
Giant Fores
(usually the first area), it has been fairly stable.

ironcreed

Banned
My copy of DS2 finally came in today and my fiance just sent me a picture of it with our dog Sif. So pumped to get home today.

1660480_601333473292119_1084242499_n.jpg

If that is really your dog and you actually named him Sif, then you are truly a great man.

Alric

Awesome picture!

Did you actually get a dog looking like Sif? xD

awesome. :p

Thanks and it was only after we got her and she was all white that my fiance said we had to call her "Sif". It was perfect. I can't believe she just sat there for the pic too.

If that is really your dog and you actually named him Sif, then you are truly a great man.

yep, that is our Female Siberian Husky and her name is Sif.

Evil Beaver

Use instead of BURN Ooooh!!!! This game is kicking my buns all over the place. In the
Forest of Fallen Giants there a castle, and in there is a large area where a giant winged knight swoops down. I ran like a chicken and when I went back he was gone and did not swoop down again. Will he return eventually?

I believe that is the area I already went into. Then got to the tower with the merchant lady. I can either explore the area down the ladder with the fire, but can't seem to find any other way to go aside from where I met the guy talking about maps. The other doors are locked in the fire area.

Hmm. I guess im confused if your properly exploring the Forest of Fallen Giants. just keep at it... its the "proper" way to go. OR you can buy the Cat Ring fron the cat in the house at majula and drop down the well (be sure to have around 15 vigor though). it will take you to a whole new set of areas.

Is the Black Armor edition a first-run only thing? I might be selling mine, as I'm moving soon and won't be able to play the game for months. My bad.

PM me if you're interested.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
You know, the one you can buy in infinite numbers from Oswald at 5k a piece? Guess what, it's the same mechanic. Except instead of buying several copies, you just pay to have it repaired. Or is it super-casual now that it's 3K instead of 5K? Come on.

I forgot you could buy rings of sacrifice in DkS, never bothered with them. But yeah, you're right, same basic deal.

Billen

Banned
Thinking about getting this for the ps3. However, I topped playing dragons dogma due to it's shitty performance. With this in mind, is it even worth trying to play dark souls 2 on the ps3?

Aeana

That boss fight I just did was crazy. I had him down to just a tiny sliver and then he hit me and I thought I died. My healthbar appeared empty. Just before he connected with another attack, I realized I never got the death message, so I rolled out of the way and killed him.

Zukuu

Banned
I forgot you could buy rings of sacrifice in DkS, never bothered with them. But yeah, you're right, same basic deal.

except that you now have 4 ring slots, making wearing one actually feasible without losing too much effects.

In the beginning it might not worth it, but later 3k is nothing.

Slide down the ladder, turn left and kill the Hollow Soldiers, take another left and kill the sleeper on the right. Then go through the hole in the wall and up the tree. Go left in the castle ruins area and work your way through there.

Thank you! I will try this tonight. There shouldn't be a door locked to get to this hole right? Also ordered the collectors guide. I def want it for the game. Not to spoil it but just to make sure I find everything I can once I go through once plus it looks in excellent quality. Oddly enough, someone told me this path is the prefered starting path. I had no idea about this though going through it on the stream last night. Just choose that direction.

Astral

It's kinda crazy that the bow the bandit starts with already has an A scaling with Dex. Is there a better bow that has an S scaling or should I just go ahead and level up the short bow?

Sande

So are 70% and 100% the only equip burden thresholds in DS2? I certainly haven't noticed any remarkable difference between 0% and around 60%.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
It's kinda crazy that the bow the bandit starts with already has an A scaling with Dex. Is there a better bow that has an S scaling or should I just go ahead and level up the short bow?

I still use and upgrade the short bow with my dex guy about 40 hours in :p It's surprisingly effective on regular enemies. I've definitely used a bow more than in DkS

Zukuu

Banned
There is an S bow.
Hunter's Blackbow
Acquired from Drangleic Castle
9 STR (E), 25 DEX (S)
77 -> 155 physical
60 range value

That's your bow:
Short Bow
Acquired from Majula, Hollow Infantry (bow), Rogue (bow)
7 STR (D), 12 DEX (A)
65 -> 130 physical
45 range value

There are also bows with lightning damage, magic damage and scaling, str scaling, more reach but B scaling, more damage but less scaling etc

Getting my ass kicked by
that large monster next to the coffin
in the tutorial area. Looking forward to later on in the game when I'm leveled up, then I'll come back and show that asshole what's up. That's what I love about Dark Souls.

Getting my ass kicked by
that large monster next to the coffin
in the tutorial area. Looking forward to later on in the game when I'm leveled up, then I'll come back and show that asshole what's up. That's what I love about Dark Souls.

haha yeah I got one of those assholes to fall off the cliff and ran like hell from the other.

Zeliard

except that you now have 4 ring slots, making wearing one actually feasible without losing too much effects.

In the beginning it might not worth it, but later 3k is nothing.

I don't see that ring as a huge deal. Dark Souls 1 didn't really have any meaningful punishment for death, after all.

Astral

There is an S bow.
Hunter's Blackbow
Acquired from Drangleic Castle
9 STR (E), 25 DEX (S)
77 -> 155 physical
60 range value

That's your bow:
Short Bow
Acquired from Majula, Hollow Infantry (bow), Rogue (bow)
7 STR (D), 12 DEX (A)
65 -> 130 physical
45 range value

There are also bows with lightning damage, magic damage and scaling, str scaling, more reach but B scaling, more damage but less scaling etc

Awesome, thanks. I guess I'll hold off on upgrading too much for now.

Use instead of BURN Ooooh!!!! This game is kicking my buns all over the place. In the
Forest of Fallen Giants there a castle, and in there is a large area where a giant winged knight swoops down. I ran like a chicken and when I went back he was gone and did not swoop down again. Will he return eventually?

He returns as a boss immediately after the first one you encounter near the end of that area

Gorillaz

After fucking up my first red cracked orb I finally had my first successful invasion yall

In the forest, I spawned by
the ladder by the 2nd bonfire and climbed up
and saw the dude in the corner by the steps like
9jBmg.png

I just glanced at him from a distance like
fredo.png

it's been a good day can't wait till i join a PvP covenant/infinite summon orb.

frozencool

Neo Member
Curious about how power-stancing when you dual-wield works here. Been fiddling with it since I started Dual Swordsman, but it appears I can only power stance when wielding two of the exact same blades. By exact same I mean in every single way save for enhancement, as I can power-stance when I dual wield two short swords (one of which is +1) but I can't power-stance using a curved sword (Scimitar) and a straight blade (Heide's Knight Sword/Fire Longsword), or trying to use two similar weapon types (e.g: Fire Longsword + Short Sword/Heide's Knight Sword doesn't activate power stance despite them all having the same weapon type).

Trying to understand the pros of Power-stancing as well. I don't seem to swing much faster or hit much harder using power-stance and the extra moves don't really help much.

Listonosh

I will give you an example of things that are just there to make life harder on you...I paid 1,000 souls for the key to open the Blacksmiths shop and it cost me 700 souls to repair my Scimitar + 1...about 3 kills later,probably because I also banged it on a wall a few times killing something,it's fucking damaged again...also what can I put in the top center rectangle...? I am guessing magic but since I am a swordsman for now,I dont have any spells...how about the bombs...? as far as I can see I need to throw them through my open inventory...? or can I put it in said top slot(playing on 360)...

If I travel back to level up,will the ennemies be all back...also somekind of map would be useful,they could of added that...etc etc...

How familiar are you with the Souls series in general? All of those things you're annoyed with are either staples or just new added mechanics to the game. Bombs and other throwable items go into your bottom consumable slot like they always have. And a map... oh boy

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
anyone know a place to get invading materials early on? i know you have to be in the blue to used cracked blue, but curious how early you can invade someone

You know, that first death in a Demons/Dark Souls game is always special.

Sometimes embarrassing, sometimes justified, but always special.

With Dark Souls II, those of us who are veterans of the series expect it. It's coming, it's just a matter of time. Even greenhorns to the series have likely heard the hype about the game's difficulty and expect it.

I ran around for a bit (amazingly skipping the tutorial section completely) going right out to Manjula,
underground, and fought/beat some huge knights
, and felt cocky.
I backtracked, realized I skipped the white-mist tutorial sections and did those with no problem.
Then, at the completion of my tutorial, I see a lone bi-pedal hippo thing standing on a water bank gazing into the distance making grunt and fart noises.

It's ok. I'll feel it out, see if I can take it, and escape if I need to. It's fat, so I'm sure I can outrun/outpace it.

Fuck.

I run down the ramp, ready to engage, grab his attention almost immediately, and THEN I'M AMBUSHED! The shit? There was one hiding out of sight ready to smack me as soon as I hit the water bank. I immediately try to retreat, but the big assholes are deceptively fast, powerful, and dwindle my stamina to nothing. I did not last long against them.

My first death... and a grim (yet glorious) reminder that Dark Souls is back. :)

I was taught this was a Souls game about three minutes into playing. I was exploring the intro area and went off the main path. Found an enemy but thought I could just go past him without aggroing him because hey, this is the intro area and I don't even have a weapon yet, hell I haven't even chosen my class yet!

Nope. He aggros and kills me in two hits while I frantically try to escape having nothing to defend myself with. The 'This is Dark Souls' achievement popping couldn't have been more appropriate.

mattp

Holy crap, just checked on one of early game messages I left and it had a rating of 117, highest I've seen I think! Don't think I got a single rating in the original!

yup its great. thats how demon's souls was. thank god they used servers again
bloodstains and messages are actually useful when they're persistent on a central server so people can rate them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom