• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
The Rotten
cleared
Chariot
Cleared
Medusa
Cleared
Giant Dog (Sif) and regular size doggies
cleared.

Now time to go to
Iron Keep

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Thanks, I was just wondering if the flame sword to +9or10 right now would serve me better

I just added something to my previous post, I am actually using both, but FlameSword+9 isnt extremely much of an upgrade over the Drangleic Sword. You could probably just stick to Drangleic and dont miss too much power.

I'd definitely recommend grabbing a high dmg slow weapon though and upgrade that to +9. Perfect for bosses.

Gorillaz

Something I've never really understood is why people stop leveling or worry about "over leveling". Is it a PVP thing where if you are too high, it's hard to find fights with people? As someone who never messed with PVP in the previous Souls games, I was never sure why people stopped leveling and had like 99999999 souls. xD

if you overlevel in DS1 you begin to get locked out of coop/PvP since it matches you with who is within 10 percent of your level (or within 10 levels of you I forgot)

If i'm right DS2 does it where it depends on the souls you have. I'm assuming it's going off of how many bosses you beaten and matches you with something close to that.

It's mainly a PvP thing

It was so nice to stumble across an area that I was half acquainted with after the nightmare that was the Lost Bastille. I've watched so much beta footage leading up to release that it almost feels homey.

I loved the area lot then and still do now. It feels alot more organic then alot of places so far.

dralla

I've killed 3 bosses so far and I still haven't found the ember to give to the blacksmith, I just wanna know if I missed it somewhere or I simply haven't gotten far enough. I will say I am finding the game disappointingly easy so far, especially the bosses.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I've killed 3 bosses so far and I still haven't found the ember to give to the blacksmith, I just wanna know if I missed it somewhere or I simply haven't gotten far enough. I will say I am finding the game disappointingly easy so far, especially the bosses.

You get it way, way later.

And yes, the game feels incredible easy outside of certain rare choke points like the 3 Sentinels.

if you overlevel in DS1 you begin to get locked out of coop/PvP since it matches you with who is within 10 percent of your level (or within 10 levels of you I forgot)

If i'm right DS2 does it where it depends on the souls you have. I'm assuming it's going off of how many bosses you beaten and matches you with something close to that.

It's mainly a PvP thing

Ah, I gotcha. That's about what I figured. Thanks! :) I usually just keep leveling as much as I can when I play Souls games, lol.

traveler

Not Wario
I actually think the level design is, on the whole, better. It's not as elegant in terms of how everything fits within the world nor is the art usually as polished, but the mechanics they introduce, the enemy placement, and the pacing feels better to me throughout than it did in Dark Souls 1.

I also think most of the system changes are for the better- adaptability is far more useful stat than res, (perhaps too useful?) backstabs and parries are no longer game breakingly good like they were before, you can no longer overpower the game with soul grinding/boss runs are more convenient if you're having a hard time, there's no super crutch like the drake sword in the beginning, and, for as much as the game feels like a series of levels, (instead of Dark Soul's world) there's way more world open to explore at any given point than in Ds1. (I think I have 4 viable routes open to me at the moment? I can't recall ever having that in Ds1) And for all the locations that look kind of bland, there are also some great moments/places with terrific atmosphere. First half of game location spoilers:
Lighting the wharf, looking out from Majula for the first time, going through Heide's Tower of Flame, the overlook in Huntsman's Copse, the Lost Bastille's ominous atmosphere- straight up RE4 vibes here, Bowser's Castle/Iron Keep.
And I haven't even made it to the second half of the game (maybe even the last 2/3rds?) yet, where I'm assuming that all those great locations from the trailers that I haven't seen yet are.

Yeah, I'm not ready to call the game worse than Ds1 yet. Less polished, sure, and the boss fights aren't as strong, but the rest of the game feels consistently better to me. I haven't hit a Blightown or a Lost Izalith or a Crystal Caves yet, and I'm not sure I will, given just how consistent it has been.

Mana Sin

(NPC stuff) What's the deal with
Rosabeth and giving her clothing? I put some stuff down at her feet, but she has not reacted. Is there something I need to do in order to trigger her accepting the items?

Guevara

The current theory is that these areas were fleshed out and the game had a higher focus on shadows light integrated in the game, say you walk into a dark area, and are attacked from a dark corner. After you light the torch, accessing that area will be easier because you see the enemy next time.

That all got lost after they decided to cut the lighting stuff though, which is unfortunate.

Oh that's too bad. It is really cool though. I think torches should be an infinite use item. The penalty for using it is twofold already: can't use a weapon or shield in that hand, and your torch goes out if you put it away so you have to light it again.

Spacebar

Do they keep taking away enemies if I keep grinding a certain area? I have been grinding the old knights and they have taken away 3 of them so far after respawning the camp fire.

Grisby

Anyone know what area/when you can get that armor from the cover and trailers. The one with the fur on it and such.

The knight armor/cover from the last Dark Souls was my favorite in the game.

So is PVP range determined primarily by soul history, game progress, or level? I'm thinking that if it's a major departure from the first game and soul history is more important than anything, there's really no such thing as "overleveling" anymore...in fact, if you have souls and don't spend them on leveling you're sort of wasting them, right? Has anyone determined how important soul history is to matchmaking?

Goddamn I just had a very Souls-satisfying moment!

Bosses spoiler:
I just solo'd the Belfry Gargoyles. That was a damn intense fight to do by yourself, but fuck yeah was it satisfying to take down that last one. Although I'm about sick of multiple bosses at the same time now. The last three bosses I took down were Ed, Edd, and Eddy, the Skeleton Lords, and the Belfry Gargoyles. Could really use a mano-a-mano boss fight as a palette cleanser here soon because these fights are pretty taxing.

Bloomers

I'm kind of right there with you. It's not just the 'honeymoon' effect, either. It simply feels bigger and better in every way to me. I love the gear, the slightly tweaked gameplay, the variety of locations and enemies, the sense of exploration and danger, the resource management aspect, the music and just the overall vibe. It's quite glorious.

Throw me in this camp. This game just instantly struck the right chords with me and the feeling of awe I get playing still hasn't wore off...and I haven't even begun to really dig into the lore.

theytookourjobz

I'm almost finished with my first play through and to everyone worrying about finite souls: don't. It is not an issue at all.

Also after a certain point in the game, titanite shards (large and small) are available in unlimited amounts through a vendor in town.

Do you like the mace's moveset?

I haven't found a better str weapon yet.

The moveset is good and it is powerful, but its a boring/simple looking weapon and I eventually want to use giant awesome swords probably

But I'm just wondering if pumping it up for now will make me regret using up some resources when I find something cooler later on

Gorillaz

So is PVP range determined primarily by soul history, game progress, or level? I'm thinking that if it's a major departure from the first game and soul history is more important than anything, there's really no such thing as "overleveling" anymore...in fact, if you have souls and don't spend them on leveling you're sort of wasting them, right? Has anyone determined how important soul history is to matchmaking?

yea not sure either been trying to figure this out as well

I think it's game progress and boss souls tho. Leveling doesn't mean shit, a lvl 1 with a certain amount of progress will still fight someone at the same game progress.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I actually think the level design is, on the whole, better. It's not as elegant in terms of how everything fits within the world nor is the art usually as polished, but the mechanics they introduce, the enemy placement, and the pacing feels better to me throughout than it did in Dark Souls 1.

I also think most of the system changes are for the better- adaptability is far more useful stat than res, (perhaps too useful?) backstabs and parries are no longer game breakingly good like they were before, you can no longer overpower the game with soul grinding/boss runs are more convenient if you're having a hard time, there's no super crutch like the drake sword in the beginning, and, for as much as the game feels like a series of levels, (instead of Dark Soul's world) there's way more world open to explore at any given point than in Ds1. (I think I have 4 viable routes open to me at the moment? I can't recall ever having that in Ds1) And for all the locations that look kind of bland, there are also some great moments/places with terrific atmosphere. First half of game location spoilers:
Lighting the wharf, looking out from Majula for the first time, going through Heide's Tower of Flame, the overlook in Huntsman's Copse, the Lost Bastille's ominous atmosphere- straight up RE4 vibes here, Bowser's Castle/Iron Keep.
And I haven't even made it to the second half of the game (maybe even the last 2/3rds?) yet, where I'm assuming that all those great locations from the trailers that I haven't seen yet are.

Yeah, I'm not ready to call the game worse than Ds1 yet. Less polished, sure, and the boss fights aren't as strong, but the rest of the game feels consistently better to me. I haven't hit a Blightown or a Lost Izalith or a Crystal Caves yet, and I'm not sure I will, given just how consistent it has been.

I think the game has more consistency on terms of level design than DS1 in the sense that it doesn't have areas as bad as Tomb of Giants/Lost Izalith/Blighttown. While the world isnt as cohesive as the first one it is way more consistent. Most of the Gameplay elements are improvements. What I also think about the boss fights is that we have fought those style of bosses before on DeS and DaS so we can handle them better with all the time we have spent around. The covenants now are actually functional for most of the part unlike DaS1 which were forgettable. Also appreciate there seems to be no Bed of Chaos, Dragon God type of Trial and Error Boss Fights. I see more Artorias like bosses but not as difficult. The only complain I would have would be the performance which while it still doesnt dip as bad as some areas from DaS1 I would have expected better from them and the texture quality in some areas could have been improved.

Phatmac

Anyone find a weapon that's better than Drangleic sword? Haven't found anything too impressive honestly. My other weapon is a Ultra Greatsword that's my strongest weapon but unwieldy for most enemies. Any one find a strong weapon that's good for scaling? Currently in Earthen Peak.

I haven't used a human effigy yet, so I was wondering, does it just instantly turn you into a human the second you use it? Does it keep whatever percentage health you had? Does it make you lose souls if you have a pile you haven't recovered yet or anything weird like that?

theytookourjobz

Anyone find a weapon that's better than Drangleic sword? Haven't found anything too impressive honestly. My other weapon is a Ultra Greatsword that's my strongest weapon but unwieldy for most enemies. Any one find a strong weapon that's good for scaling? Currently in Earthen Peak.

Heide sword.

Toma

The club is my strongest weapon (way stronger than the Drangleic), but only useful for big enemies.

theytookourjobz

I haven't used a human effigy yet, so I was wondering, does it just instantly turn you into a human the second you use it? Does it keep whatever percentage health you had? Does it make you lose souls if you have a pile you haven't recovered yet or anything weird like that?

It turns you human immediately and your max hp goes to full but your current HP stays the same.

yea not sure either been trying to figure this out as well

I think it's game progress and boss souls tho. Leveling doesn't mean shit, a lvl 1 with a certain amount of progress will still fight someone at the same game progress.

Additionally, do we know if this applies to co-op as well? Could co-op range be determined by soul history and game progress as opposed to soul level?

deeTyrant

Anyone have any good dex weapon alternatives to the Falchion for where I am at right now
currently fighting the giant spider; "The Duke's Dear Freja"
? I'm just not liking the animation and find fighting with it pretty unsatisfying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom