• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

theytookourjobz

Anyone have any good dex weapon alternatives to the Falchion for where I am at right now
currently fighting the giant spider; "The Duke's Dear Freja"
? I'm just not liking the animation and find fighting with it pretty unsatisfying.

Ricard's rapier scales with an S in dex when it's upgraded. I've got one at +10 and it does huge damage but I didn't really like the lunging move set.

Phatmac

It scales with strength and really well with faith (because faith raises lightning damage.

I don't have much Faith since I wanted a strong dude for my first playthrough but I'm regretting that after seeing some awesome faith spells during my co-op runs. I hope I find a soul vessel in order to respec my dude to have more faith.

theytookourjobz

I don't have much Faith since I wanted a strong dude for my first playthrough but I'm regretting that after seeing some awesome faith spells during my co-op runs. I hope I find a soul vessel in order to respec my dude to have more faith.

I found 4 soul vessels so far so I think you'll be fine.

JerkShep

I'm really liking the game so far, the world is not as well connected as Dark Souls one was but the "levels" themselves feel very tightly designed and I've yet to encounter areas as bad as the ones in the latter half of Dark Souls (I never really hated them, except Lost Izalith, but most of them were kind of unimpressive considering what came before). My main gripe with the game is that after a few hiccups in the first part, I'm kinda destroying all the bosses with my STR build. I have one last of the big four left (
the one after the Doors of Pharos
). I had my fair share of deaths, like excepted, but no many moments of intense desperation since the first fights with
Pursuer and Lost Sinner

Does the latter half of the game offer some good challenges regarding boss fights? A vague statement may suffice, I don't want to spoil myself too much.

I finally saw the credits roll after 45 hours-- no guidance except for one small part I didn't get. If there are multiple endings, I probably got the worse one, as I feel like there's some unfinished business left to do. Awesome game, and I enjoyed more than Dark Souls. Where it lacked in level design it made up for it in sheer variety and amount of things to do, and improved mechanics-- just like going from Demon's Souls to Dark Souls. Personally, I enjoyed the world structure more in Dark Souls 2 because I could skip around a lot like in Demon's Souls. It wasn't as creative as Dark Souls, but it was more practical for someone with my preferences. Besides one instance, I never felt stuck in Dark Souls 2 like I did in the original.

I agree with those who say it feels like it was made by a different team. While the combat by itself feels like a direct sequel, aesthetically-- world design-wise-- the game has a different tone compared to either Demon's Souls or Dark Souls. I can't quite put my finger on it; more surreal might be a good way to describe it.

Anyway, there are still many mysteries yet unsolved. I have a list of about 10 things I never figured out-- some locked doors, mysterious structures, undecipherable items, and I know I missed a couple covenants and a few bonfires.

derwalde

Anyone have any good dex weapon alternatives to the Falchion for where I am at right now
currently fighting the giant spider; "The Duke's Dear Freja"
? I'm just not liking the animation and find fighting with it pretty unsatisfying.

i personally like the arced sword (sentinel boss weapon). A scaling in dex and C scaling in str. (26 str recquired for 1 hand wielding though).

Footos22

i personally like the arced sword (sentinel boss weapon). A scaling in dex and C scaling in str. (26 str recquired for 1 hand wielding though).

I working.my stats towards this weapon as a backup when my flamesword.finally fails me. Got it at +2 right now. Might respec to make it my main and take a greatshield to go woth it.

The golden wing shield is awesome. Can deflect soul arrows with the parry button lol

I've beat the first two games several times. I just went back and beat Dark Souls a couple weeks ago and had no trouble at all. But I can't do anything in this one so far! I started as a sorcerer but I was horrible and switched to knight but I still haven't made any progress. Hopefully I can make some progress today though!

Mindlog

Still meandering about. Skipped the 'church' because the constant 2 vs 1 got annoying, but I want to beat that area eventually.

That's the second time I stumbled into a Forest Covenant like zone. The first time was even lamer. Got a chuckle out of the take on 'pvp' From took with those two groups.

Have no idea what I want to do with my character. All I know for certain is, 'No magic.' Using a +5 Bastard Sword, but I've dabbled in too many weapons and can't find enough large shards. It's also already better than the Drangleic even though I prefer that moveset. No twinkling to be found.

Opened the gate to
Copse
and wandered around until suddenly I'm in
Earthen Peak
. The last two fog-gate enemies I faced were total pushovers. Kind of weird that. Time for jolly cooperation.

mxgt

Banned
Oh man, the
Earthen Peak poison boss
is an absolute cakewalk after you
torch the windmill
. Would never have figured that out without messages on the floor, though.

dubq

He's still there, but perhaps in a different location...he'll be behind a fog door.

git gud and fight the boss. it's the only way

Once you get the Soldier's key, use it on a door near the Cardinal Tower bonfire. Go down the ladder from the bonfire, and go to your right, past the elevator and the lizard. You know, the area with the bigass stone sword and a few enemies. There's a door you open there with the key that leads you to the Pursuer boss fight. He's easy as hell because all you have to do is run to the mounted gun and shoot him. After that you'll find the nest.

Thanks!!

Yesterday I was summoned as a grey phantom without doing anything at all so I supposed someone was in need for help, silly me the master of that world attack me in sight and kill me, wtf.

UnrealEck

Soon as I step into the belfry area I get invaded again and again and again. Oh and skill doesn't matter because it's a laggy glitchfest. PvP was one of the things I disliked about the Souls games and it's the same again even on a new engine. Someone invades you, glitches and wins then showboats about it. Again and again.

Mindlog

Yesterday I was summoned as a grey phantom without doing anything at all so I supposed someone was in need for help, silly me the master of that world attack me in sight and kill me, wtf.
Yeah, that's the first type of those zones I found by accident. Just barely missed defeating the host on that one.

Footos22

Soon as I step into the belfry area I get invaded again and again and again. Oh and skill doesn't matter because it's a laggy glitchfest. PvP was one of the things I disliked about the Souls games and it's the same again even on a new engine. Someone invades you, glitches and wins then showboats about it. Again and again.

I don't get glitches or lag. Wonder if it looks like I am to other players. In dark souls 1 I avoided pvp as it was awful backstabbing glitching. In this I beat prob 8/10 so I'm pvping all the time lol

Bloomers

Late Game question; just curious to see if anyone has actually tried this:
In Castle Drangleic before the Dragonslayer dual boss, you briefly talk to the Queen. I saw a msg tho that said to try hitting her with an arrow. I figured this was an trolling allusion to the illusion of Gwynevere at first, but does doing this yield long-term consequences?

Gorillaz

Belfry is broken right now.

I wouldn't even step in that area unless you don't give a shit or have a deathwish.

It is extremely rare to get a laggy match, only twice for me in about 30 fights.

Nope that one you need to kill the host, the entire level is against you. Its like a tower defense mini game.

Sullichin

Just realized there's two bell towers after being summoned to the other and that's why I never triggered that boss fight.

Beat the game last night. Plan on sticking around in NG for a while doing multiplayer.

theytookourjobz

Late Game question; just curious to see if anyone has actually tried this:
In Castle Drangleic before the Dragonslayer dual boss, you briefly talk to the Queen. I saw a msg tho that said to try hitting her with an arrow. I figured this was an trolling allusion to the illusion of Gwynevere at first, but does doing this yield long-term consequences?

Nothing happens. I tried like 100 arrows lol.

Phatmac

So, when I summon, am I summoning ghost npc or actual players ? Is there a way to manually do this rather than wait until I come across yellow writing on floor?

Sorry, I am so new to this.
You can summon NPC phantoms like Pate to help you fight or actual human players to help you.

Just activated the
first prime bonfire. Got into the misty area in the woods. How do I go through this area?I cant hit the invisible enemies...

I always forget that by staying Hollow 90% of the time, I'm missing out on the NPC invaders which can be fun. There's no telling how many of those I've missed out on in the entire Souls series considering I was undead for most of each playthrough, lol. Or do they attack while Hollow now? I haven't really tested it in this game. I did meet a NPC invader in an area, but I was human, so...

fedexpeon

Banned
Maughlin:
Is there another phase to him after stocking the Alva set?

There is no need for spoiler tag this.

How to get Aurous Armor Set:

1) Buy all the Alva Set
2) Equip Alva Set
3) LITERALLY jump off the well and die with the set on
4) DONT PICK UP YOUR SOULSSSSSSS!
5) Go back in to the house and talk to him, and he will give you the Aurous Armor set.

UnrealEck

I don't get glitches or lag. Wonder if it looks like I am to other players. In dark souls 1 I avoided pvp as it was awful backstabbing glitching. In this I beat prob 8/10 so I'm pvping all the time lol

The glitch I got was similar to the same things from the first two games. Basically fighting face to face and suddenly he's doing a back attack on me. I still killed that guy but the next guy I fought beat me with like 5% of his HP left and started showboating. Man that guy was pro. So pro.

Belfry is broken right now.

I wouldn't even step in that area unless you don't give a shit or have a deathwish.

I suppose I could just burn an effigy.

ironcreed

Banned
I have never been one to invade all that much in Souls games, but I never really mind it when I get invaded. It's part of what makes the series so special. You have an already dangerous game with other players randomly coming into your world to add even more danger.

I always forget that by staying Hollow 90% of the time, I'm missing out on the NPC invaders which can be fun. There's no telling how many of those I've missed out on in the entire Souls series considering I was undead for most of each playthrough, lol.

I'm pretty sure you can be invaded when hollow now. I remember fighting a few after dying in an area.

yeah same here this far. What exactly are the benefits if restoring humanity aside from longer health bar and npc invasion?

Being able to do PVP and Co-Op, but that's it. (well, and the health)

I'm pretty sure you can be invaded when hollow now. I remember fighting a few after dying in an area.

Yeah, I edited my post to ask if that was changed since you can be invaded while hollow now. That's good to know.

I always forget that by staying Hollow 90% of the time, I'm missing out on the NPC invaders which can be fun. There's no telling how many of those I've missed out on in the entire Souls series considering I was undead for most of each playthrough, lol. Or do they attack while Hollow now? I haven't really tested it in this game. I did meet a NPC invader in an area, but I was human, so...

They still invade even when you are hollow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom