• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rojo

In that three storied area that leads to the isolated tower across the bridge that has a bonfire at the top of it, keep going up instead of crossing the bridge. You'll find two prison cells and lots of exploding zombies. The petrified person is blocking the one with a bonfire inside of it.

Ah i remember that place ok thanks.

Kingduqc

Banned
I try to avoid all the spoilers as much as I can but I'm wondering how long the game is and what's to not on the difficulty?

My friend is saying that it is quite easy but he's just a few hours in. How long did it take you to complete the game for the first time, and what level you ended up?

Lucent

How do u get the soul at the top of Hill in forest of giants? The one that's near the beginning by the first bonfire? Also how do you get soul on topof scaffold.... Around the area you get flame sword

I think you gotta climb the ladder that leads to the tree with the white knight chillin by it and then go out the right doorway that would lead to a ladder, but instead you should be able to see that soul you're talking about and jump to it. At least from what I can remember.

I'm enjoying the game a lot, but I find myself fearful of running out of effigies so I'm summoning help for bosses any chance I get. It sort of feels dirty because in co-op many of the bosses are a cakewalk. I really hate
the Ruin Sentinel
fight though, I died in that one a few times even in co-op.

Jesus, I'm not usually one to complain but getting elemental weapons is such a fucking chore in this game. It's the total MO of Dark Souls II: make one half of the equation simpler, make the other half more obtuse.

I'm really complaining about nothing. Iron Keep can't be that far in the game. I don't care about spoilers now, which way to Iron Keep?

Huntsman's Copse->Harvest Valley->Earthen Rise->IRON KEEP

Myaora

Neo Member
I'll say, getting the Demon Great Hammer in return for my Petrified thing at the Snuggly nest was a blessing and a curse. Got my strength up to 32 straight away to two-hand it, the damage output is fantastic.. but I'm far too slow. Any tips on upping my equipment-load "Havel's Ring" like doohickeys anywhere?

Grinchy

Banned
So how do you get the item in the Bastille in the boss fight room? I tried jumping from the upper ledge a few times. I make it to the surface with the item but it just seems like it doesn't want to let me land on it.

TraBuch

Banned
Question about the petrified people.
Are there any others besides Straid, the pyromancy woman, and the three lion enemies in the Shaded Ruins? I've unpetrified each of them but I still have one, maybe two, branches left.

Spacebar

when you walk to Majula from the tutorial area (betwixt something) down the path, on your right there's a ledge you can roll down from to grab a couple of items. or you go to the Heide area with those giant sentinels and beat the boss, after that you can get lots of miracles and I think you can buy a talisman there too.

There's a cleric's chime around Majula, it's off a hidden ledge to the right of when you first come out of the beginning area and into Majula proper. Look along the cliff.

There's also a binocular, which lets you aim spells.

Thank you!

So how do you get the item in the Bastille in the boss fight room? I tried jumping from the upper ledge a few times. I make it to the surface with the item but it just seems like it doesn't want to let me land on it.

You can actually make that jump, but there is an illusory wall that leads to it as well.

I've been chain pvping for days, and it hosts are constantly getting an estus off. it's almost every fight.

the cat sells a limited quantity of lloyds, is tehre anywhere to farm them or buy them unlimited?

This. I've found you have to attack immediately after they take the swig or else they can easily roll away. The drinking animation does not last the entire time health is being restored unlike DkS1. So frustrating in Belfry Luna/Sol when peeps would run away and get a quick swig in before I could attack.

Grinchy

Banned
You can actually make that jump, but there is an illusory wall that leads to it as well.

Nice, thanks :)

I might have been wearing too much armor when I tried. Though the wall you are talking about is probably the one I didn't have the "key" for. I have one now so maybe I'll just go that route.

demidar

This. I've found you have to attack immediately after they take the swig or else they can easily roll away. The drinking animation does not last the entire time health is being restored unlike DkS1. So frustrating in Belfry Luna/Sol when peeps would run away and get a quick swig in before I could attack.

I generally don't like pvp, shit's too laggy. Got hit by a guy wielding a scimitar when I was 3 bodies' width away from the attack then got chained to death.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Man. The reliability on torches are cool but it's fucking stupid that they added water into some of these levels. Fuck you level design. Fuck you

PBY

Banned
Noob here- can you "break" the game?

Like- can you fuck up/die enough/miss something or stack points so badly that the game becomes unbeatable?

dubq

Just so I understand properly.. your carry weight is only in effect for stuff you have equipped, right? I can otherwise has as much stuff in my inventory and it shouldn't effect my movement/weight/etc, right?

Lucent

I'm enjoying the game a lot, but I find myself fearful of running out of effigies so I'm summoning help for bosses any chance I get. It sort of feels dirty because in co-op many of the bosses are a cakewalk. I really hate
the Ruin Sentinel
fight though, I died in that one a few times even in co-op.

What I've been doing is going human and then equipping the Ring of Protection or whatever that allows you to stay human and keep your souls if you die. Only annoying thing is that you gotta go to the blacksmith and pay 3000 souls to repair it every time it breaks. Found another ring that does the same thing but also covers petrification if that happens to you. But costs 6000 to fix. But yeah as long as I keep fixing the ring and keeping it on I stay human. But really annoying if you keep dying and also don't find the souls to cover the fix before you die.

And I didn't find the
ruin sentinels too hard. The first one you can fight after you drop. Then the other two on the floor it's just keeping tabs on them. Wait for them to attack and then attack yourself. Whenever they do the spin towards you attack, that always gives you an opening to get 1 or 2 hits in.
It is a slow fight but I managed (barely) to do it solo my first try.

Noob here- can you "break" the game?

Like- can you fuck up/die enough/miss something or stack points so badly that the game becomes unbeatable?

Well, they do have an item called the Soul Vessel that you can show to one of the old ladies in red and she'll let you redo all of your soul level points, but I hear they are rare. I've only found one so far.

njean777

Umm how do I get through the door way in earthen peaks by the pressure plate that shoots arrows? It is blocked off by bars and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to open it...

WTF my character model turned female. I'm positive I selected male during the character creation process(I'm ~20 hours in). Has this happened to anyone else?

dubq

So I don't think I can wait for the pc version. How's the framerate and stuff on PS3? Does anyone think it is worth waiting?

For me it's been fine. I've had a few dips but nothing that would even make me want to post and say "fuck this framerate" - ie: very unnoticeable IMO.

sixghost

I've been chain pvping for days, and it hosts are constantly getting an estus off. it's almost every fight.

the cat sells a limited quantity of lloyds, is tehre anywhere to farm them or buy them unlimited?

That's the invader's disadvantage. The host has to deal with the enemies in the level, and the invader can't drink heal. That's how it's always been in the Souls games.

RyanDG

WTF my character model turned female. I'm positive I selected male during the character creation process(I'm ~20 hours in). Has this happened to anyone else?

I think this is one of my favorite additions to the game. Took me a while to figure out what happened. Pretty devious imo.

If you want spoilers...

Its the coffin you laid in at the starting area

Reule

2an4d.png

That guy is of no use to me and thats a great looking set too, hmm.
If you
trade enough boss souls and then talk with him you can get his set.

Speaking of the bonfire behind him. It might be a good idea to kill the enemies on that floor till extinction since
that petrified person moves outside the cell with those exploding mummy dudes
. It's severely irritating and I'm in the process of doing that now.

Facism

Anyone having issues with Ruin Sentinels should summon the NPC in the cell before the fog door.

She casts Soul Spear and just wrecks those guys.

Just caught the end of a speed run of DS2 Any %. Clocked in at a time of 2:48:20 which is so fast to me, and I know as the speedrunning community gets their hands around it they are only going to get faster.

creyas

So I don't think I can wait for the pc version. How's the framerate and stuff on PS3? Does anyone think it is worth waiting?

Can't wait for Souls. It's pretty damn jarring at first, sub-30 pretty much all the time, but i got used to it quick enough and it's fine.

Will be absolutely glorious on PC though after this.

Lucent

I think this is one of my favorite additions to the game. Took me a while to figure out what happened. Pretty devious imo.

If you want spoilers...

Its the coffin you laid in at the starting area

I also think this is meant to be a troll by the devs. I think they know that most people are going to be covered head to toe in armor.
when I went in that coffin and saw a loading screen, I was like "wtf happened? Did nothing happen?" when I got out of the coffin and saw I was in the same place. I shrugged and left. It wasn't until I fought at least 3 or 4 bosses that I finally took off my helmet and noticed I was a girl with pigtails. I was like WTF? IS THIS A GLITCH?! So I went back through the tutorial area thinking I might talk to the old ladies and then it hit me. I was like "that coffin that I thought did nothing...did it do this?" So I went back in the coffin naked and sure enough I came out as a guy again.
lol damn you, From.

Am I stuck? I'm in the forest of fallen giants and talked to plate and went through the gate, and ended up dieing. Now I can't go through the gate again, it's shut. I have nowhere else to go. What am I supposed to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom