• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm playing as a swordsman and after ~8 hrs I found out that there's something like a "Power Stance" to swing both weapons at the same time. Why did it take me so long to realize that? For the first 8 hours I was just using the normal stance which is a pain in the ass against strong opponents. Finally my swordsman doesn't seem to be so weak anymore... ;-)

Yeah I went through a similar period where I didn't know. Though, I don't even think you can do the power stance too early on stat-wise, especially when you don't know that you need 1.5x the stats.

I'm playing as a swordsman and after ~8 hrs I found out that there's something like a "Power Stance" to swing both weapons at the same time. Why did it take me so long to realize that? For the first 8 hours I was just using the normal stance which is a pain in the ass against strong opponents. Finally my swordsman doesn't seem to be so weak anymore... ;-)

How do you do this?

What's the point of the area behind where you fight the
Chariot/horse boss
? It just has some weird looking man who says to go away and 3 statues. Someone wrote down in a message that there was a "Dark Spirit ahead" but I see nothing here. Do I come back here later?

Phatmac

What's the point of the area behind where you fight the
Chariot/horse boss
? It just has some weird looking man who says to go away and 3 statues. Someone wrote down in a message that there was a "Dark Spirit ahead" but I see nothing here. Do I come back here later?
He lets you join a covenant if you say yes to all his questions.

So I am at
Earthen Peek
and apparently you can
burn down a windmill
which makes the
poison pool
boss a lot easier. Is it true and how do you do it?

Edit: Figured it out.

I guess I just suck at this game. I can'tbeat the last giant. He just 1 hits me everytime. His stomp attack kills me every single time I attack.

Artorias

Banned
So I got unhollowed on a boss run that wasn't successful, leaving me low on magic. If I join a coop game when I'm alive would it hollow me if I died there? I'd like to refill my magic but not at the cost of my life obviously.

It's not even a far run back, I've just been curious about this for a while. It's at the
spider
boss though so I would have to use a homeward bone.

theytookourjobz

Weird, he didn't ask me any questions... Wonder if I'm missing something? He just says "This place won't be any fun... not for you." or something.

I think you have to have a certain item in your inventory. It's a PvP covenant. Pretty awesome arguably. Pray at one of the statutes and you get transported to an arena to battle another member of the covenant.

Yeah I went through a similar period where I didn't know. Though, I don't even think you can do the power stance too early on stat-wise, especially when you don't know that you need 1.5x the stats.

Yeah, I equipped a bastardsword as soon as possible and didn't have the stats to use it with the power stance. The damage with two "strong" weapons was underwhelming. Turns out, two weaker weapons in power stance a re may more efficient for me.

How do you do this?

Hold the triangle button (PS3). Dunno what it's on Xbox (Y?). But you need x1.5 weapon stats for power stance or you'll just wield your right-handed weapon with both hands if you don't have the necessary stats.

ViviOggi

Is there a shortcut to/bonfire near the
Executioner's Chariot
? The nearest I've found so far is the
Bridge Approach bonfire in Huntsman's Copse

Dresden

Beat
Freja,
got killed by
all the spiders that came rushing into the boss room + the ones she'd summoned afterward.
:(

Got the Soul so it's all good.

e: somehow got mobbed and died on the way back. RIP 100k souls.

Ultrabum

God fucking damnit. I forgot that you could (action vs bosses)
cut tails
in this fame. Just did it as a sunbro :(

Oh well, something to do in ng + now.

Shinta

Banned
I just saw a video showing where the choranthy ring is.
How do you break that wall in the room with the merchant hag? Mine is not broken. There's a message in front of it from someone saying "try destroy."

To those that have finished the game/are far into the game...

Where do you trade the unique boss souls for items? How long does it take to get to that point. I'd love to consume some of these souls, but I don't wanna consume a soul that I'll find out later coulda been crafted into something dope.

I'm a magic user, BTW. Is there anything amazing I can trade these souls for?

beril

Finished it earlier today, at 60 something hours.

It was awesome but probably my least favourite in the series. It felt a lot more linear than both Demon's and Dark Souls 1. Most of the time I only felt like I had one or two places I could go, and constantly ran into dead ends, whereas in previous games I could always try to push forward in multiple places and my only clue to where to start was how brutally difficult the enemies were. Part of that may be my fault for missing stuff and playing it in completely the wrong order though.

Had to look up how to get to the
Huntsman's Copse
when I realised I must have missed something big while getting stuck in
Dranglaec Castle
. But I really don't see how I was supposed to figure that out, just seemed random. I talked to that npc and moved on, and there was nothing to indicate that she would then
help switch the passageway, and with no item to operate the device myself, why would I return there to try it?

Also I somehow assumed I needed an item for the
mist area in Shaded Woods
at first so I didn't try that until after defeating
The Rotten

Now just need someone to explain the story to me.

Motherfucker. Just realized you have to press A on 360 version to open up walls instead of just hitting them.

so wait, to open up hidden passages you now hit A next to the wall instead of hitting it? Do I need to go back to all the suspect walls I swatted at and hit A instead?

SharkJAW

Can someone share a good tactic for those lion-like enemies in the Shaded Forest? They're destroying me :(
The ones with the axes? Roll towards them/their back when they swing, and you'll get an open backstab. I had the BKH and Old Leo Ring and even without the ring, it was a OHKO

phierce

I just saw a video showing where the choranthy ring is.
How do you break that wall in the room with the merchant hag? Mine is not broken. There's a message in front of it from someone saying "try destroy."
Get the fire bombing guy on the ledge to toss one that way and hit the exploding barrels.

isual

Finished it earlier today, at 60 something hours.

It was awesome but probably my least favourite in the series. It felt a lot more linear than both Demon's and Dark Souls 1. Most of the time I only felt like I had one or two places I could go, and constantly ran into dead ends, whereas in previous games I could always try to push forward in multiple places and my only clue to where to start was how brutally difficult the enemies were. Part of that may be my fault for missing stuff and playing it in completely the wrong order though.

Had to look up how to get to the
Huntsman's Copse
when I realised I must have missed something big while getting stuck in
Dranglaec Castle
. But I really don't see how I was supposed to figure that out, just seemed random. I talked to that npc and moved on, and there was nothing to indicate that she would then
help switch the passageway, and with no item to operate the device myself, why would I return there to try it?

Also I somehow assumed I needed an item for the
mist area in Shaded Woods
at first so I didn't try that until after defeating
The Rotten

Now just need someone to explain the story to me.

It's
anor londo thousands of years later. The cannon ending to dark souls 1 was when the cursed lit the flame, thus a new age was born. You can read it off the item that boosts estus flasks healing power by 1 (not the shards). That is why the dragons have returned once more.

The lost sinner is the witch of izalith (if you have the guide, it explains everything)

The queen nashandra got jealous of the power, and thus cursed the land to what it is now.

You light the flame anew (the first flame) and thus a new age is born again.

so wait, to open up hidden passages you now hit A next to the wall instead of hitting it? Do I need to go back to all the suspect walls I swatted at and hit A instead?

Yeah I thought all the illusory walls were the Pharros kind. Turns you you press the interact button to open the other ones. I was wondering why so many illusory wall ahead messages were so highly rated. lol

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Wow, infused my +9 shortsword with bleed and now it fucking sucks. How does bleed work in this game? Thought a bleed weapon would be pretty good for a dex character but I dunno now.

Jobbs

Banned

I had the same realization. I went message after message about illusionary walls in earthern peaks or whatever, and thought they were all trolling because I'd attack everywhere and nothing.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Wow, infused my +9 shortsword sixth bleed and now it fucking sucks. How does bleed work in this game? Thought a bleed weapon would be pretty good for a dex character but I dunno now.

After it builds up it cuts there health to a certain amount (depending on the bleed effect) and cuts there stamina for a while as well.

I never summoned as much in previous games so this may be a dumb question but do you get less souls from bosses if other players help? If not is there any disadvantage?

BeeDog

Thanks all. The problem I have with the lion enemies is that they gang up on me and I can't seem to draw them out one by one. And there's a shit-ton of them :(

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Can anyone confirm if you can use more than 1 skeptic's spice on a single miracle? Like could I use 6 of them to lower a casting requirement by 6 points?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom