• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Neoweee

Gotcha, yeah I guess that animation really threw me off alot :/ But I def see what you guys mean now when I rewatch and pause at certain spots. haha kinda feel like an idiot now :p O well.

Nothing to feel like an idiot about. Weird grab animations are pretty jarring throughout the entire series, but two or three in DkS2 are definitely among the worst.

Ferr986

Yes, finally!

CC2v_HTUMAAyCvU.jpg:large

Thats it. When I get this game (really soon) i'll make my first female character in a Souls game.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Yes. You get more than enough over all. At least I think I did..

ok cool, does the shortcut still work there when you open the door? I've been trying to go trough this run without looking too much stuff up.

edit, still works

Korosenai

A couple questions about Bonfire Ascetics

1. What happens if I burn a bonfire ascetic at Majula? Pretty much nothing? I think I need to burn two of them to get that Moth outfit.

2. If I burn a bonfire ascetic to fight a boss, will I get that boss's soul again to trade for an item at Straid?

3. When I start a new game plus, do the bonfires reset back to an intensity of 1?

Audioboxer

Never dual wielded when playing the ps3 version, giving it a go now.

Is it better to do two of the same weapon? Rolling with a rapier and a falchion right now. Just unlocked the ability to buy a uchigatana.

Dex is at 20. Infusion might be a good idea until I get dex higher for better scaling?

After Bloodborne I feel like I've forgot all the basics in DS2 lol.

Cheers

pa22word

A couple questions about Bonfire Ascetics

1. What happens if I burn a bonfire ascetic at Majula? Pretty much nothing? I think I need to burn two of them to get that Moth outfit.

2. If I burn a bonfire ascetic to fight a boss, will I get that boss's soul again to trade for an item at Straid?

3. When I start a new game plus, do the bonfires reset back to an intensity of 1?

1. mean pigs and skeleton in the basement. Also, I thought you only had to have an intensity of 2 (equiv of 1 burn, or on NG+(1) ) to get the moth outfit?

2. Yes for everyone but the Giant lord, I think?

3. Nope, which is why I recommend not to do it on a character you're planning on taking for a long trek because it will fuck up your progression in the early stages of NG+. After about NG+4/5 it doesn't matter, but if you jump to BI 3/4 on a normal NG+ (BI2) run...yeah you're going to feel it.

Korosenai

1. mean pigs and skeleton in the basement. Also, I thought you only had to have an intensity of 2 (equiv of 1 burn, or on NG+(1) ) to get the moth outfit?

2. Yes for everyone but the Giant lord, I think?

3. Nope, which is why I recommend not to do it on a character you're planning on taking for a long trek because it will fuck up your progression in the early stages of NG+. After about NG+4/5 it doesn't matter, but if you jump to BI 3/4 on a normal NG+ run...yeah you're going to feel it.

Thanks. I was wanting to burn a bonfire ascetic to get the Ruin Sentinel Soul and Scorpioness Soul to get those two spells from Straid, but since I plan on doing a new game plus anyways, I might just wait and get them naturally later on.

Go back to Majula, there should be a guy selling
ladders near the pit,
buy them and go down there.

Or go through Heide's Tower an
d No Mans Wharf.

After clearing the tower, you can go back to Majula and get
a lady to move the tunnel
, so instead of going to Heide's, you can go
to another place

You can buy a ladder? Of course I managed to miss that, I just went down once I could survive jumping to the first beam with the cat ring.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
still looks wrong.

It might look weird, but it's not a hitbox issue. The hitbox is fine. It's just a grab move with a canned animation that will warp your character into the fixed location for the animation to play out.

NeoFaff

Thanks. I was wanting to burn a bonfire ascetic to get the Ruin Sentinel Soul and Scorpioness Soul to get those two spells from Straid, but since I plan on doing a new game plus anyways, I might just wait and get them naturally later on.

Majula bonfire intensity also affects Licia.

sprinkles

Wow, the boss of the second DLC hits hard. I cannot get the timing on his combination down, and even if I get him to around 50% just one dodge too late with his flaming sword will oneshot me. I think I will visit him later and do the third DLC or the two extras in the second one first.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
da hell at this dlc, we got bosses
summoning bosses
this is bullshit

I like it

SRTtoZ

Thanks, already finished Heide's Tower an
d No Mans Wharf.
. Well guess I will do the pit area first. But is that door I cant open part of the DLC?
Hitboxes are still weird with the Pursuer T_T and I have 106 agility.Yeah I know I didnt roll but I was clearly out of the way right?

Do not strafe left around the Pursuer, only right. If you strafe right and don't roll you will never get hit by his stab attack.

addyb

Well
shrine of amana
was far easier then I expected it to be. Was it harder in vanilla? I am getting my ass kicked in
undead crypt though.

Ac30

Uh, in the Looking Glass-Knight Elevator place, those stone knights after the small drop after the ladder are supposed to awaken immediately, right? Because I can't trigger them at all to activate that Golem :/ Is this a glitch? If this is game-breaking I am going to flip...

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Uh, in the Looking Glass-Knight Elevator place, those stone knights after the small drop after the ladder are supposed to awaken immediately, right? Because I can't trigger them at all to activate that Golem :/ Is this a glitch?

The scenario has been changed.
There other enemies that spawn when you leave the room that must be pulled back to the golem.

Hugstable

Banned
The scenario has been changed.
There other enemies that spawn when you leave the room that must be pulled back to the golem.

I didn't like this change very much, it felt like it was built for players who had already played the game previously before and knew what that room was for. I never got there in Vanilla and got stuck there for like 2 hours since I couldn't figure out what that whole room was even for in the first place.

DeaviL

Banned
I don't really like the top, I'd recommend swapping it for the Red Lion Warrior Cape

I'm using the executioners top, it looks great too.
Try it.

I didn't like this change very much, it felt like it was built for players who had already played the game previously before and knew what that room was for. I never got there in Vanilla and got stuck there for like 2 hours since I couldn't figure out what that whole room was even for in the first place.
They did change the entrance to the castle to make it more apparent what you had to do with the statues though.
And they made it even more apparent in the sentinels room.

The entrance had two unmoving archers in front of the statues and the sentinel room had a stone soldier before both statues.
It was made really obvious now.

That said, if you were a new player you wouldn't expect the statues to rise like a player of the previous version would expect.

Beaulieu

soooo.. I started a new character via "new game" to play coop with a friend
after our playtime, I want to load up my 1st character, but I dont see a "load game" option from the main menu.

Just "new game" and "continue"

is there no way to play with both characters ? Did I lose my 1st one ?

edit : wow nm, selecting "continue" i can chose my character.

Korosenai

God damnit, I messed up on Lucatiel's quest line somewhere. Used 3 bonfire ascetics to win 3 fights in a row at The Rotten as well... This is very frustrating.

Dimmle

God damnit, I messed up on Lucatiel's quest line somewhere. Used 3 bonfire ascetics to win 3 fights in a row at The Rotten as well... This is very frustrating.

Did you exhaust her conversation everywhere?

Finally reached the
Dragon Aerie
after way more trouble with
Aldia's Giant Hallway of Fuck-off
than I should have had. SIR HAWX, if you're out there: thank you for the multiple invasions among hordes of cyclops and basilisks. I hope to return the favor some day.

Korosenai

Did you exhaust her conversation everywhere?

Finally reached the
Dragon Aerie
after way more trouble with
Aldia's Giant Hallway of Fuck-off
than I should have had. SIR HAWX, if you're out there: thank you for the multiple invasions among hordes of cyclops and basilisks. I hope to return the favor some day.

I'm pretty sure I did. I think 3 or 4 days ago when I got to Aldia Keep I may have accidentally talked to her :(

The reason why I thought I could still get it is because I was in Lost Bastille and found her and finished her dialogue. Then I went to Black Gulch, found her, and finished her dialogue. Other than those two spots though she isn't anywhere to be seen. If I did talk to her at Aldia Keep, would she still be in those two spots? I honestly don't even remember if I talked to her at Aldia's Keep.

Dimmle

I'm pretty sure I did. I think 3 or 4 days ago when I got to Aldia Keep I may have accidentally talked to her :(

The reason why I thought I could still get it is because I was in Lost Bastille and found her and finished her dialogue. Then I went to Black Gulch, found her, and finished her dialogue. Other than those two spots though she isn't anywhere to be seen. If I did talk to her at Aldia Keep, would she still be in those two spots? I honestly don't even remember if I talked to her at Aldia's Keep.

She's also in No Man's Wharf and Earthen Peak, if you didn't run into her there already. Maybe go check?

Korosenai

She's also in No Man's Wharf and Earthen Peak, if you didn't run into her there already. Maybe go check?

Yeah I did, she's not in the spots she's supposed to be in.

Looks like i'll have to do the achievement in new game plus, though the Rotten will be a bitch to beat again.

Roshin

Is there a trick, exploit, or just plain tactic for dealing with Shades? I'm playing a caster in Shaded Woods and those bastards do me in.

Korosenai

Omg, I missed the "new" Lucatiel location at earthen peak, talked to her, and now she's at Aldia's Keep! I know for a fact that I had her help with the Flexile Sentry, and I just beat The Rotten 3 times in a row with her, and without her dying all three times. Is it safe to talk to her now? If I don't get the achievement, should I just turn my game off (or does it autosave super fast)?

I think I summoned her for Lost Sinner but I can't remember... should I go back, use a bonfire ascetic, summoner her and win the fight just in case?

edit: I'm scared to talk to her :( Might go use a bonfire ascetic at the no mans wharf and sinners rise again because I can't remember if she helped me there or not...

And there we go. Got my build for my first NG+ ready! Focusing on physical defense, physical STR and DEX damage, and co-op tank speccing! Helped out 50+ peeps with the fume knight boss now!

0InndO6.jpg

Steel Leggings +10
Steel Armour +10
Steel Guantlets +10
Dragonbrood Helm +10
---------------------------------
Greatsword +10
Mastodon Halberd +10
Sun Sword +10
Composite Bow +10
Dragonrider Shield
Cleric's Charm
---------------------------------
Redeye Ring (Keeps enemy aggro towards you, ignoring teammates)
Royal Soldier Ring +1 (Increases maximum Equipment Load by 15%)
Third Dragon Ring (Increases HP by 7.5%, stamina by 12.5%, and maximum equipment load by 12.5%.)
Chloranthy Ring +1 (Increases Stamina recovery speed by 20%.)

Overall Build Weight: 70.0% (Medium Roll)

General defenses against blunt, slash, and thrust damage are now over 1000 each. Considering I just upgraded what I liked the look of, it didn't turn out half bad I reckon.

Neoweee

I really with the other three "Souls" games had a hard mode covenant as well. I know people will come up with reasons why it is a bad idea, blah blah blah, or against what the series stands for, but slight, select changes can make replaying a game feel like new.

I really with the other three "Souls" games had a hard mode covenant as well. I know people will come up with reasons why it is a bad idea, blah blah blah, or against what the series stands for, but slight, select changes can make replaying a game feel like new.
Isn't that what new game plus is?

I'm not wild about the idea because I just like there being a THE difficulty, you know? Like. This is what the game is. Covenants that make it harder are ok if they're optional, but I could see that turning into "lol you played this without joining the gitgudscrub covenant? LOSER!" shit. Like, I'd rather not have it be segmented at all and everyone play the same game with the same difficulty and stuff in mind. And new game plus being a lot harder for the people into that.

I personally never play new game plus either. I just can't get into it. It just feels scaled up for the sake of being scaled up. I'd rather just play the main game again as a new character so I can play on the difficulty.

Top Bottom