• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

Ayt

Banned
any reason as to why I cant use coop / pvp items anymore ? they are always greyed out, human or hollow.

hapenned from the point when I reached that big dog and it's minions. Im back in the belltower and cant use them there either.

soapstones, cracked orbs, etc. all greyed out.

I see messages on the groud so connection seems good, but I havent seen summon signs for a while either.

is this story related ? or maybe a status effect ?

edit : just got invaded by 3 grey dudes at the same time so online deff. works.
still cant use the items tho.

Did you join the Company of Champions covenant in Majula?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Gods honest truth? The crystal lizard at Doors of Pharros can choke on my dick.

usp84

Question about the ending of this new version.

Can i get the Aldia ending boss without doing the DLCs?What do i have to do anyway?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Gods honest truth? The crystal lizard at Doors of Pharros can choke on my dick.

The crystal lizards are so pointless in this game, all drops they have are so easy to acquire through other means. Unless that one has changed in SOTFS, it drops 3 large shards and a rawstone....

a harpy

Everyone on various forums seems to be having fun with this game, so I picked it up on the PS4. I played it back when it originally released and enjoyed it, but coming from Bloodborne now, I'm having a really hard time getting into it. I won't go into the details about what is frustrating me because I'm not trying to say it's a bad game or anything, but I'm about 1/3 of the way through right now and I have yet to have any fun.

What are some builds I should try that would be fun? I am trying to do a run with the Old Whip but that's ending in a disaster because it breaks so fast, and my Sorcerer felt punished from the very beginning because of the massive amount of extra enemies and my lack of any real weapons.

Maybe I should just say screw it and do a STR build and smash stuff until I know the game better again since I've basically forgotten where almost everything cool is / have to relearn.

Novocaine

I'm at black gulch, lvl 78. Can't find a single summoning sign. I am overlevelled ? the boss is tough.

There are 3 NPC summons available in Black Gulch, you should be fine with those. Explore and clear the area completely

Question about the ending of this new version.

Can i get the Aldia ending boss without doing the DLCs?What do i have to do anyway?

Yes you can do it without the DLC. I encountered Aldia 3 times (Primal Bonfire, Dragon Aerie, Undead Crypt), said yes to all his questions and he showed up at the end of the game. I hadn't started the DLC.

drotahorror

Maybe I should just say screw it and do a STR build and smash stuff until I know the game better again since I've basically forgotten where almost everything cool is / have to relearn.

With this release of DkS2 I made my first ever caster-ONLY build in a Souls game. I took it to new game++ before I just couldn't take it anymore. I hate that I wasted so much time on that crappy build, I hated it with a passion. Swapped to greatsword for the rest of newgame++ and had a blast. Made another character with a greatsword, beat the game again, had a blast.

Switch while it's still early! The greatsword's in No Man's Wharf if it interests you. (28str 10dex req)

addyb

For weapons that upgrade with shards, chunks and slabs is it the same amount for each weapon.

How many shards(small/large)and chunks does it take to get to +10?

Only reason I ask is I'm 3/4 the way through now and want to quickly get a weapon to +10. Just trying to work out how many souls I'd need to purchase what I'll need. Also any decent places to farm titanite chunks?

I switched to a strength build. Now I have a lot more weapons that are actually worth a damn to choose from. I hope Dex builds get some love in the next souls game. I find little point in using any dex weapons in this one. The scaling is pathetic and most of the strength weapons are just as fast and have better scaling.

Should have maybe tried some of the infusion stuff but I can't stand having my scaling taken away. It's the reason I don't use any of it in BB either.

Divius

Fume Knight
fight was great. dodge dodge dodge!

Tried my hand at the
Vendrick
fight. Seems almost too easy (yet I got bored and impatient because it is such a slow fight, try to get in one extra hit and he nails me anyway, lol). After this I need to visit the
Iron Passage
and the
Throne of Want
, I assume the latter is the way forward in the story which I can feel coming to an end. The journey continues tomorrow.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
This game is pretty disappointing in a lot of ways.

I thought that a better framerate would solve some of the stuff that bothered me in the vanilla console version, but it doesn't.

There's a serious lack of responsiveness in the controls. You hit a button, and nothing happens. It's like a whiff. You have to press again, and hope it registers. This was never a problem in old Souls games (you could even reliably "stack" commands) and it's really prominent here. My biggest complaint by far. The worst offense really, in a game series know for precision.

Hey speaking of whiffs, really love the lock-on system in this game. And how you'll miss shit like literally right in front of you. This only happened occasionally in the older games, but it occurs too frequently now... like they didn't test the weapon attacks and see if they actually could hit shit.

I also find, generally speaking, the animation to be a step backwards. I don't like the run cycles (why does everyone run bow-legged?) and just the way they hold most weapons (two-handed, and especially spears) looks fucking stupid. I don't get it. This kinda stuff is pretty subjective, and it's been uneven throughout the series, but in this game I'm bothered by it a lot more. Clearly their good animators and designers were busy on something else.

Idk man I've been playing this and it annoys me more than I enjoy it. Demons Souls, Dark Souls and Bloodborne are so much better than this game.

The laggy controls are the thing I think that rally makes it hard to swallow.

edit: Oh and whoever came up with adaptability can go eat a fuckin dick. Asshole.

Seanspeed

Banned
This game is pretty disappointing in a lot of ways.

I thought that a better framerate would solve some of the stuff that bothered me in the vanilla console version, but it doesn't.

There's a serious lack of responsiveness in the controls. You hit a button, and nothing happens. It's like a whiff. You have to press again, and hope it registers. This was never a problem in old Souls games (you could even reliably "stack" commands) and it's really prominent here. My biggest complaint by far. The worst offense really, in a game series know for precision.

Hey speaking of whiffs, really love the lock-on system in this game. And how you'll miss shit like literally right in front of you. This only happened occasionally in the older games, but it occurs too frequently now... like they didn't test the weapon attacks and see if they actually could hit shit.

I also find, generally speaking, the animation to be a step backwards. I don;t like the run cycles (why does everyone run bow-legged?) and just the way they hold most weapons (twp-handed, and especially spears) looks fucking stupid. I don't get it. This kinda stuff is pretty subjective, and it's been uneven throughout the series, but in this game I'm bothered by it a lot more. Clearly their good animators and designers were busy on something else.

Idk man I've been playing this and it annoys me more than I enjoy it. Demons Souls, Dark Souls and Bloodborne and so much better than thins game.

The laggy controls are the thing I think that rally makes it hard to swallow.

edit: Oh and whoever came up with adaptability can go eat a fuckin dick. Asshole.
Sounds like your controller is acting up.

addyb

Yep I don't find the controls laggy at all. Questionable hitboxes at times yes but control wise it's always been very responsive for me.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
All other problems aside, I've never actually had a command input fail to register; only played the PS3 vanilla version, then the DX11 PC version.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Well that is my main issue with the game so maybe I need to get a new controller.

This is something I noticed a lot when playing yesterday. Granted I'm using the cestus, but there are times when I can literally be hugging an enemies body, locked on and with my attack aimed right at them and miss. Was especially bad against the
giants in the Black Gulch

Haven't had any issues with controller responsiveness though.

vehn

Does leaving the ps4 in rest mode with DS2 paused keep the hours played counting continuously? Sh i knew that before it was running for 15 hrs

a harpy

Well that is my main issue with the game so maybe I need to get a new controller.

Coming from Bloodborne, I felt the game was unresponsive as hell. Then I realized that the truth was my stamina management was all over the place and I had different expectations for my attack animations. After making a decisive change to my play style, it started to feel smooth and correct.

If it really isn't anything like that though, it might be your controller.

Neoweee

DLC3 in CoC-- the first boss takes off more per hit than an Estus drink. Oh God, I'm fucked.

Coming from Bloodborne, I felt the game was unresponsive as hell. Then I realized that the truth was my stamina management was all over the place and I had different expectations for my attack animations. After making a decisive change to my play style, it started to feel smooth and correct.

If it really isn't anything like that though, it might be your controller.

There's also the issue that when your stamina runs to 0, you are "out of breath" and can't run again until your stamina meter charges up to a certain point. It's a subtle mechanic that is going to confuse people coming from Bloodborne.

Stamina (and management of it as a skill) is much more important than it is Bloodborne, generally speaking.

a harpy

DLC3 in CoC-- the first boss takes off more per hit than an Estus drink. Oh God, I'm fucked.

There's also the issue that when your stamina runs to 0, you are "out of breath" and can't run again until your stamina meter charges up to a certain point. It's a subtle mechanic that is going to confuse people coming from Bloodborne.

Stamina (and management of it as a skill) is much more important than it is Bloodborne, generally speaking.

The biggest difference that I forgot, because I took it for granted in Bloodborne, is that everything costs way more stamina in the Souls series. After getting the hang of it again, though, it feels just like old times.

You think? Don't really feel it on other games...

I agree with him that it may possibly be your controller. I've never had the game ignore an input on PS3 or PS4. And also think it could be the case because you can certainly "stack" commands in this game too because it pisses me off every time it happens to me lol. I always thought it was a common control issue with the series.

Jito

Banned
Awwwww shit! They've added in a fence behind the ladder at B
elfry Sol
so I can't just drop down from the top anymore :(

And then I get triple teamed straight away, invaders suck balls around here.

Dawg

Third boss down (Dragonrider), currently lvl 40.

Am I doing all right for STR build? I've been increasing a few stats so I have a decent basis. I'll focus on just strength and endurance/vigor later. Anything else I should watch out for?

CC-2CO2WYAMR-4o.jpg:large

Jito

Banned
Woah level 40 and only killed 3 bosses? I think I'm nearly half way through the game and I'm level 67! You're probably pretty overlevelled now for the enemies.

Korosenai

Woah level 40 and only killed 3 bosses? I think I'm nearly half way through the game and I'm level 67! You're probably pretty overlevelled now for the enemies.

This game is honestly super easy to level up in. I was surprised how fast I was leveling up compared to Bloodborne.

Am I doing all right for STR build? I've been increasing a few stats so I have a decent basis. I'll focus on just strength and endurance/vigor later. Anything else I should watch out for?

Level ADP man!

AGI decides how many iframes you have on your rolls, you want at least 100.

To be honest, you don't need too much endurance, as I said, AGI decide iframes, weight decides the distance, with <70% is fine in most situations.

Victrix

*beard*

If you use dodging often, raise your ADP until your Agility is 100, more iframes on dodge, faster estus usage (and other items as well I think?).

ike_

Stylish looking build, seems like a good start to me. Consider pumping up that ADP though. If you rely on rolls more than blocking pump that ADP for great benefit. Also speeds up estus / lifegem animation. Your 33% equip load is good to make rolls work for you. But if you rely on blocking more, then stamina is the way to go.

My first ~20 skill points go straight into ADP to get it to around 25 where diminishing returns start to kick in.

Edit: oops, read that wrong. 55% equip load is a different story.

sappyday

The improved framerate and change of enemy place + item placement makes me not regret getting this game again.

My character creator skills are still in tact.
CC-8AShUsAAmiqs.jpg:large

Santiako

Yeah, leveling up is so cheap that you can easily be lvl100 before the half of the game. I don't mind, there's so many stats that you can spread yourself pretty thin even at high level.

CrovaxPSO

For my second playthrough on the original release I did a miracles/lightning spear build, and it was super overpowered but also really fun. I understand that lightning spear has been nerfed pretty hard, so is an offense-oriented miracles build still viable at all? Looking to do another faith build for my second character this time around, but not sure what to focus on in terms of spells.

Audioboxer

That moment when you finally click with dual wielding and no shield. Been helping people with the Iron King. Rolling through his attacks like melting butter.

Never touching a dirty shield again :p

Powerstancing a black steel katana and ricards rapier.

Dawg

Thanks for the advice on the last page. Seems like ADP will be my next focus then. And yeah, dodging is important for me. I blame Bloodborne. I've been playing DS2 shieldless since the start :p It's a nice challenge and I love 2H swords.

And yup, leveling is super fast. I haven't even been grinding or anything. Just exploring the game world a lot since this is my first DS2 playthrough.

ike_

That Bloodborne shield stigma tho.

There are a lot of really cool shields in this game w/ aux effects, so don't feel bad experimenting. I throw the blossom kite shield on my back at all times (and sometimes turtle behind it) for that stamina regen bonus.

Don't let Bloodborne shield shame you. >,<

100. 25 ADP just now.

All my stats:

VGR 30
END 20
VIT 10
STR 21 (needed to powerstance BS katana)
DEX 40
ADP 25
INT 6
FTH 6

SL 111

Under 50% equip with the wanderer set and the longbow equipped.

Do you find that it helps?

I found Dark Souls 2 evading and dodging to be far too fickle, so I resorted to the Turtle Souls 2 mentality. But then again I never infused any points into ADP. People say that it helps with I-frames, roll distance + recovery etc. etc.

I just downloaded the game from PSN yesterday. I've never touched any of three DLC's and people say the three DLC's together represent Dark Souls 2 at it's best. So I'm excited for that.

Would you say the remixed main game helps keep things fresh? I'm hoping not to get bored up until I reach the DLC areas.

Anyway, I've always rocked dexterity builds. This time around I'm thinking high strength and high magic. I've never been a magic/arcane user in any of the Souls/BB games. What's the best way to approach magic in Dark Souls 2? I know there are several forms of magic in this game, including Pyromancy, what's a good / fun magic build?

Audioboxer

Do you find that it helps?

I found Dark Souls 2 evading and dodging to be far too fickle, so I resorted to the Turtle Souls 2 mentality. But then again I never infused any points into ADP. People say that it helps with I-frames, roll distance + recovery etc. etc.

I just downloaded the game from PSN yesterday. I've never touched any of three DLC's and people say the three DLC's together represent Dark Souls 2 at it's best. So I'm excited for that.

Would you say the remixed main game helps keep things fresh? I'm hoping not to get bored up until I reach the DLC areas.

Anyway, I've always rocked dexterity builds. This time around I'm thinking high strength and high magic. I've never been a magic/arcane user in any of the Souls/BB games. What's the best way to approach magic in Dark Souls 2? I know there are several forms of magic in this game, including Pyromancy, what's a good / fun magic build?

Dexterity early on is rough as hell. I nearly packed it in. Once you get 2/3rds of the way to 100 it starts to take shape.

ADP is essential if you aren't using a shield or a heavy weapon that stuns like mad. It's not press circle to win though. Takes timing, patience and learning of enemy moves to dodge like a pro. I'm getting there now.

The remixed main game has been pretty good for me so far. A few surprises. I've never played the DLC either and I think I'm about to start my first chunk after the Iron Lord. Something new there that wasn't in the main game.

I know from vanilla dark magic was OP as hell. I think it's toned down a bit, but still great for DPS. From what I've heard part of the remix was allowing everyone to get one of the best normal magic staves a lot earlier. It was previously locked out till near the end game.

If you go a high STR though I still think FTH magic is the most complimentary. Followed by Dark and then traditional magic is best focussed as caster only, maybe with a basic weapon to fall back on.

ike_

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Agility

Agility is vital if you want to dodge, period.

Ya, agreed. I've seen challenge runners be super salty about the hitboxes only when they were limited to low ADP. Very important for dodging.

If you want to do a shieldless run, you need AGI, no matter what. Once you reach 100 points is basically a gamechanging moment and truly a painful experience until you reach that point.

Jito

Banned
If you want to do a shieldless run, you need AGI, no matter what. Once you reach 100 points is basically a gamechanging moment and truly a painful experience until you reach that point.

I'm running a fist only character at the moment and I'm only at 95 agility, still having plenty fun rolling around attacks and haven't had any trouble dodging attacks. I'll still get it to 100 just to be sure though but it's not been a painful experience.

Top Bottom