• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin |OT| Your weapons are weak, old man

ezodagrom

I am seeing 25 € for the upgrade - do owners of the DLC get additional discount?

I'd like to see more comparison screenshots for the DX9 and DX11 versions before I buy.
Yeah, those who own the DLC get an additional discount, but 25€ for those who don't have the DLC is a nice price, it's basically the same price as the season pass (which pretty much makes the season pass pointless unless it's someone with a PC that can't run the DX11 version).
Based on the US prices I thought it was gonna cost 30€.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
It cant.

Maybe with higher str and upgrades, but I tried that earlier, it broke in the tree area, when I killed the guy throwing the firebombs.
A guy says yes, another guy says no.

Are we talking about two different play-styles here? Perhaps two different weapons? I never hit the enemy more times than needed, and I never hit against shields.

Neoweee

No, it just has slightly less durability than the other weapons (and the actual damage sucks on it).

Same. I loved carrying two "main" weapons for this reason.

I enjoyed playing with two weapons, too (and in BB, two guns as well). Switching weapons based on the situation, and having two weapons to hit different weaknesses, added depth and variety. It interacted very well with the improved weight mechanics and extra gear slots.

Yet, weapons still degrade rougly twice as fast agasint ennemies.

So, same story as I posted earlier.

I'm not saying the bug doesn't exist, but its nowhere near as big of a deal as people are making it out to be. Carry a few repair powders and your weapon should never break.

Are we talking about two different play-styles here? Perhaps two different weapons? I never hit the enemy more times than needed, and I never hit against shields.

I NG+++'d the game on PS3. It does break faster, even if you do not hit corpses and walls.

I'm not saying the bug doesn't exist, but its nowhere near as big of a deal as people are making it out to be. Carry a few repair powders and your weapon should never break.

Ok. Somehow, its still super anoying for low durability weapons. Hope they fix this, because it does not seem intentionnal.

Abylim

Not many shields in that area of FotFG anyways, and no, I dont keep attacking shit when its dead, and I;m wary of walls/ground.

I used the Shortsword, for reference.

No way the dagger kills everything from Majula to the second bonfire and doesnt break.
Not wthout powder, or bonfiring in between.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I NG+++'d the game on PS3. It does break faster, even if you do not hit corpses and walls.
Yeah but I never did play the PS3-version more than a few hours. I played the PC-version 200+ hours. That's the version I'm trying to find a comparison to.

Abylim

Yeah but I never did play the PS3-version more than a few hours. I played the PC-version 200+ hours. That's the version I'm trying to find a comparison to.

Yosh, I guarantee you will love it. You love this series more than most, and if you can love DMC2 that much, you can put up with a durability bug lol :p

I am a ps3 user, so this is a drastic change for me.

Foffy

Banned
Is the durability bug only in the PC version?

It's on all versions with 60fps. Xbox One affected the least, as it's the most consistent version to drop frames. :p

Can anyone confirm if cutting the framerate in half to 30fps fixes it on PC? Really, really on the fence about this...

Bl@de

Okay, I played for 2h. Time for some early impressions (up until Melentia in the Forest of the Fallen Giants).

Do I like it? Of course. I liked DS2 and I already noticed some interesting changes to the original. Feels like a Director's Cut in the fashion of the first Resident Evil. Glad I decided on this one. Game will feel fresh and then I'll jump into the DLC that I never played. 100 hours of new jolly cooperation.

-
One fog gate can't be accessed in Things Betwixt and our friends the basilisks are swarming the place. Curious what's behind it and why it's locked.
-
Forest of the fallen Giants is better balanced up until Melentia. The soldiers are lying on the ground and have to be aggroed first so you can easily run passed them if you need to. Also new boxes and barrels placed.
- New enemy attack?
A soldier grabbed me and bit me in the face. I don't remember that one. But it's been a long time I fought these losers^^
- I'm playing deprived and it's as fun as always.

Now something very interesting considering the lightning. FROM pulled some cheap trick to make the game darker (I kinda like it though^^).

Here is the room above the Cardinal Tower Bonfire.

Standing in front of the room:

Inside the room:

- Durability bugs and all that stuff seems like it always was. Gonna find that ring again^^ But haven't even decided on my class yet. Something sparkly with wonders or magic :p

Some more impressions in 1620p and max. settings (thumbnails so I don't spam the board):

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves

I'll just make a video using Shadowplay from Majula bonfire to the second one in FotFG to stop all the rumour spreading. Give me a little while though. Currently eating.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
i can't play this game like this...got 7 weapons all broke after killing like 5 enemys,gonna wait for patch to fix it

You have to not let them break.

My first time playing at launch I had a similar problem. I didn't know how durability worked in the new game, and the very first area (before even getting leningrasts key) I had broken all my weapons trying to progress. I ended up having to sprint to the bonfire, and buy the key - dodging all the enemies along the way.

Once you come to terms with the fact that the durability is supposed to be much lower in this game, you can better prepare yourself. Don't let weapons get all the way depleted, when it gets low, change to something new. The game gives you 3 main hand and off hand slots for a reason. You can carry up to 6 weapons. Mix it up. I think the bigger durability hit when hitting dead bodies may be a bug, but the weapons breaking reasonably quickly is pretty likely intentional.

Also, some weapons have way lower durability than others and will break very quickly. Repair powder, repair magic, being sparing with your weapons, a lot of different options.

Late to the thread, anyone has good comparisons between dx9 and dx11, and comparisons between dx11 and a supersampled durante post processed version of the game.

Yoshichan

Woooooooooow! I don't remember the starting area looking ANYWHERE near this:

2015-04-02_000068kky5.jpg

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Just bought the game, installing now. Alas I'm also leaving for work now, so I won't be able to play it for another 12 hours or so...

Looking forward to digging into Dark Souls 2 for the first time!

Gbraga

The durability thing hitting dead bodies is easy to get around, but it's still a stupid bug that should be fixed.

The lower durability at 60fps though, even if it's not intended, I'm glad they kept it, it made the game a lot more interesting, and gave the some times nonsencial bonfire placement a purpose, since resting there restores your weapon.

Also having more ring slots fit perfectly with lower durability, having a ring that can help with that.

It always felt like durability was supposed to be a lot lower in this game, it never felt unfair playing on PC.

Again, losing too much durability when hitting dead bodies should be fixed, but I don't want the 30fps durability.

EDIT: The new bloom looks like shit though, eew.

Yoshichan

I'll just make a video using Shadowplay from Majula bonfire to the second one in FotFG to stop all the rumour spreading. Give me a little while though. Currently eating.

Great stuff! Shadowplay is streaming or vods?

Yoshichan

It can be both, but I'll just make a video, edit and upload on YT. (sure, it's gonna compress, but I'm just doing it for the durability demonstration.)

Thanks again!

kitzkozan

I'm watching someone stream the game and the durability problem doesn't seems to bothering him at all lol. On the other hand, it's the "B-team" effect that's bothersome for me. The level design is different from a Miyazaki directed game and I could rapidly tell. There seems to be ton of empty space everywhere for whatever reason, which is annoying since great level design is a staple of modern From Software. AI patterns also seems simpler, but I saw that video from matthewmatosis which commented on the flaws of the game. :p

I'll finish Demon's souls and Dark Souls first then I will probably buy this when it's discounted.

tuna_love

Banned
So I had someone tell me when they played DS2 on the PC with an XB1 controller it was always dropping their shield.

Like they held the bumper to keep it up and it would randomly drop. Hope this isn't the case for the Xb1 version.
I played vanilla PC with x1 pad and now on Xbox one and never had that problem.

Krakn3Dfx

Picked this up and played for about an hour last night (PC), looks and feels nice, I'm still pretty early, started off as Deprived. I'd have to go back and load up the previous version of the game to be sure, but it does look nice.

Fists never break.
chuck-norris-punching-gif_zps97d2b3b7.gif

It's funny to see how the haters are doubling up on the "durability bug" as the main focus now that soul memory and the more dynamic lightning are (kind of) dealt with.

Downloading the game now. Can't wait! Gonna spend hours in creation to try to make my main a little less man-faced this time around :D

Braag

While the new lighting does look great, Majula in the other hand is too bright, way too over saturated.

Also, while most of the new enemy placements are great and all, some of them feel out of place :/

Ayt

Banned
The brightness in this version is too high imo.
Also enemies can go through fog gates now,kinda dumb if you ask me,they might as well remove them if they´re going to do this.

I ran through Heide's to the Dragonrider and none of the enemies entered the fight even though I had everyone chasing me.

It's funny to see how the haters are doubling up on the "durability bug" as the main focus now that soul memory and the more dynamic lightning are (kind of) dealt with.

Downloading the game now. Can't wait! Gonna spend hours in creation to try to make my main a little less man-faced this time around :D

How is soul memory dealt with? Everything I've read says it's still in the game. Kinda a major sticking point that's preventing me from getting this game.

Abylim

I am by no means a hater.

Loved the shit out of this game on the PS3, I am allowed to dislike something I view as bad, right?

PC users may be fine with it, but it definitely changes how the games played, and not for the better, imo.

Oh, also, enemies seem to be disappearing after quite a few clears, for some reason I thought they took that out for this version.
Dont know whether I like it that way, or wish I could just farm for my gear.

Ayt

Banned
How is soul memory dealt with? Everything I've read says it's still in the game. Kinda a major sticking point that's preventing me from getting this game.

They added a ring that eats the souls you collect so that you can stay at your current soul memory.

GulAtiCa

It's shitty early on. But as you start to get in the SM in millions+ (esp in NG+), it's not much of a problem as range becomes HUGE. Still vastly sucks. But at least SM isn't effected by NG status anymore. So you as in NG could be summoned/PvP into NG+++ or vise versa.

Does make optional side bosses tough, since very few summons.

What soul memory should a person stay at if they want to do PvP and get summoned? The problem is still there.
Depends on what you want. Staying below 9M would be ideal. As the range is huge by then, and would likely keep you from the crazy 999M builds.

Sorry if its already been mentioned, but can anyone confirm the Xbox 360/PS3 versions have the DLC actually on disc - not like, a one-time code thing.

Just checking before I hit BUY!

Mogwai

I caved... *shrugs*

Anyone else trying to download the PSN version? I have never experience this slow download speeds before. At the current speed, the initial 4,5GB will be done by tomorrow...

Top Bottom