• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dating Age |OT$6| Just ask her out already

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was it a heart shaped Pizza?

I ran around town trying to buy her flowers. The reason I had to run around is due to my work place being far away from where she lives, so the shop won't deliver. I had to get in the subway to where she lives to buy them. It's not that big of a deal since the entire route was essentially the same route that I had to take daily. The flower shop was only a block away.

artsi

So I just asked out my mate's Sister on Facebook (I was planning on asking her in person today but plans changed last minute) but I'm thinking I wasn't clear enough I was treating it as a date haha.

Thoughts?

I'd just make some kind of move when you see her, you'll find out if she likes you enough for that.

BTW, those screenshots are huge af.

Afrocious

So I just asked out my mate's Sister on Facebook (I was planning on asking her in person today but plans changed last minute) but I'm thinking I wasn't clear enough I was treating it as a date haha.

Thoughts?

There's not much to think about. I personally would've had a definite day set for the date, preferably that week or next. Without a schedule, people forget things.

Thoughts?

Haha, no you didn't. Seriously though you played it off as a joke too too much and just a hang out. Not a problem to make a recovery as the "date" is two weeks away. Have the confidence to message her back and make your intentions clear. "Hey I know we "haha"a lot but I just wanted to be clear that I was asking for a date because I think your a great girl" (Use your own words for that).

Better to be shot down now than to spend your time waiting for a stealth "date" and getting shot down then.

Also because she's your mates sister, give him some respect and check that he's cool with it. Don't assume he will, just ask. I think a brother would be cool with that if he knows you're not after something casual and really do like her as a person.

Zushin

Haha, no you didn't. Seriously though you played it off as a joke too too much and just a hang out. Not a problem to make a recovery as the "date" is two weeks away. Have the confidence to message her back and make your intentions clear. "Hey I know we "haha"a lot but I just wanted to be clear that I was asking for a date because I think your a great girl" (Use your own words for that).

Better to be shot down now than to spend your time waiting for a stealth "date" and getting shot down then.

Also because she's your mates sister, give him some respect and check that he's cool with it. Don't assume he will, just ask. I think a brother would be cool with that if he knows you're not after something casual and really do like her as a person.

Not quite sure what this means, but I'll just clarify, me her brother and about four others of us went to Guns N Roses last night and I was driving all of us home which is a few hours away and she decided to stay another day in the city lol. I was gonna ask her out when we got back to our town :p

Good idea about messaging her something like that. I'll think of something. And yeah I'll check with her brother too. Thanks for the tips!

Update: wow, lucky I checked! She stayed in the city cos she's seeing a guy there. Dodged a bullet. Thanks again Crazy Bacon!

I went to a small party at my friend's house and spent all day playing video games with her and her roommate that I met for the first time. When we are talking about movies, I mentioned that I haven't seen the Breakfast Club, which prompted the roommate to tell me I MUST see it.

She asked me to come over to her house on Valentine's Day (with a direct reference to the "holiday," rather than saying come over on Tuesday.) Is this a not so subtle way of hinting at asking her out, or am I just overthinking things? I'm 29 and haven't had my first kiss yet due to illness and not really interested in romance, so I'd be oblivious to advances under normal circumstances.

I'm going to follow the advice of "ask her out" if this ends up being merely a "let's hang out as friends" situation. We got along well during the event and she's very attractive to me, both in appearance and personality. Thoughts on this?

An update on this: it was just us together relaxing on the couch. We watched Labyrinth, and then talked about a myriad of things we have in common, and I pet her adorable dog because it wouldn't leave me alone. It felt platonic unless there was some social cue that went over my head. Rather than overthink things, I'm just going to call and ask her out tomorrow. I'm literally going to call and ask "hey, had a great time hanging out last night, want to go on a date?"

It didn't feel appropriate to ask her on a date at her house on Valentines Day. The way I'm looking at it, worst that can happen is that I get declined and we stay friends.

It didn't feel appropriate to ask her on a date at her house on Valentines Day. The way I'm looking at it, worst that can happen is that I get declined and we stay friends.

Correct, being in her house and asking is not comfortable for her, she would not know how you would react if she said no, outside or on messaging is best. Good luck, sounds like she's comfortable with you and you have some common ground.

XD

And read your story on the last page. I think the only way forward is to avoid her and the two of them until I find someone of my own, then maybe we can do shit as couples on equal ground. Made up a bullshit excuse and canceled plans to hang with them at a ballgame later this week.

Eh, if you can't just be satisfied with a purely platonic friendship you just need to walk away from this permanently. It's just largely pointless to hang out wtth someone and deep down all you want is something romantic. Just gracefully and silently bow out.

Go make real platonic friendships.

Ashby

The worst part about dating is having to break up with girls all the time. I want to be cold-hearted to it but it makes me feel like shit everytime. So far since I've been single it's been a pattern of three or four dates, she starts getting invested, realize I don't like the girl enough, break it off, feel like shit. Repeat.

Recreat3

The worst part about dating is having to break up with girls all the time. I want to be cold-hearted to it but it makes me feel like shit everytime. So far since I've been single it's been a pattern of three or four dates, she starts getting invested, realize I don't like the girl enough, break it off, feel like shit. Repeat.

I am in the same boat now. Been seeing a girl since the beginning of the year. Maybe only seen her 4 or 5 times and im just not feeling it but i can tell she is, i dont want to upset her so i need to tell her asap. Plus i met a girl last friday who i have been talking to this week and she already seems more compatible. Im going to ask her if she wants to come with me to a party on Saturday.

FyreWulff

y'all thought i was playing

mEQpo2kl.jpg

^Just move to another city/state. It's easier than breaking up with someone.

"where are you going?"

"dunno, parallel dimension" *FWSHOOOOOP*

I did initially want to call you out on a humblebrag "I can't handle all these dates I'm getting" but then I had a think and realize that you're in a similar situation I was. Where I got a lot of matches regularly.
It used to be that matches and interest were low especially in the early days of online dating where getting interest was a rare thing so I would put a lot of effort into that woman because it was such a rare thing and was far more attention that I was getting in the real world.

Then as I learned got my profile on point and online dating was more accepted and popular I'd get a relative lot of matches. This is where I think we have a common ground. Since I was able to get a date on average every 2 weeks guaranteed I started to care less about them. I went through the motions, she was nice enough and everything but, it was just routine and I was not invested because I knew the next woman would be right along and maybe she would be better and have that spark.

What I did was to just take a break from it all and focus on myself and meeting women in real life. You might want to try that too. give yourself an emotional break recharge your batteries and come back to dating later.

y'all thought i was playing

mEQpo2kl.jpg

Yo. YO.

Anyways, hope y'all had a good valentine's day. Any good stories from the trenches?

Casual friend of mine, the one who told me maybe but not right now tried to pull some shit last night. Told her if she wasn't serious and just wanted attention that she could fuck off and then I see a vague "woe is me" Facebook post a couple hours later.

Another cute gal I know posted that she wanted someone to bring her food around the same time.

Homie don't play that. I'm proud of the fact that I refused to simp yesterday.

Ashby

I'd love to have the opportunity to meet more women in real life. Not in the best place for that right now. I'm out in the boonies and my office is all guys. I am planning on moving to Minneapolis within the year, if not this spring. I've only been single for 2 months out of a long term relationship. I have been thinking I should just pump the brakes and work on myself until I move.

Yo. YO.

Anyways, hope y'all had a good valentine's day. Any good stories from the trenches?

Casual friend of mine, the one who told me maybe but not right now tried to pull some shit last night. Told her if she wasn't serious and just wanted attention that she could fuck off and then I see a vague "woe is me" Facebook post a couple hours later.

Another cute gal I know posted that she wanted someone to bring her food around the same time.

Homie don't play that. I'm proud of the fact that I refused to simp yesterday.

Good job on the lack of simping.

My Valentines day consisted of seeing the craziest accident on my way to work. Car fish tailed, hit another car from a previous accident, spun out twice and flipped into a 20 foot ditch.

Shit was unbelievable. Parked my car, ran out to the ditch where a couple other people had also run down to help. Woman was unharmed. Legit miracle no one was hurt.

So like, anyone sad they were alone on Valentines day, be happy you're alive because god damm, things can be way worse.

Oh and my basketball team lost again. Darkest timeline.

Xun

I am in the same boat now. Been seeing a girl since the beginning of the year. Maybe only seen her 4 or 5 times and im just not feeling it but i can tell she is, i dont want to upset her so i need to tell her asap. Plus i met a girl last friday who i have been talking to this week and she already seems more compatible. Im going to ask her if she wants to come with me to a party on Saturday.
I know ending it sucks, but don’t feel horrible. Just send them a “compliment sandwich” and be done with it. They’d do the exact same thing if they were in your shoes, if that.

Praise them, say you don’t see things working out and then end things on a positive note ("I wish you all the best"). Simple.

Don’t leave them hanging.

I’d have killed for a straight answer from the girl I was seeing, instead I’m hurt with how things ended since she was too soft on the last date to end it herself (perhaps ironically out of fear of hurting me). I was fooling myself at the end of the date thinking there was a chance it could continue, but truth be told she was essentially forcing my hand to end it and I did in a text a few days later. It sucks not getting the closure from her I wanted, but alternatively having to deal with this heartbreak and lack of closure will probably make me stronger in the long-run (aside from the potential long-term effects of the mono she gave me, eh?)

Also fucking hell Gotdatmoney! That certainly puts shit into perspective.

Jhoan

Didn't recognized Jhoan without his awesome hair.
I aged five years backwards Benjamin Button style and my hair receded. My "iconic" hair isn't going anywhere any time soon. I think a new self-portrait is in order to reflect the changes. I've thought about making comics joking about the pros and cons of having such hair.

Yea, I think he should get that cut again tho.

I've come to embrace the long hair so I dunno if I can go back to a shorter hair style until it I either get completely tired of it or something triggers me to cut it. I got a bunch of more compliments on it volunteering at the women film festival over the weekend. Being compared to Reggie Watts is pretty boss in my book even though I can't grow a beard like him.

Funny enough, I had a conversation with two girls over the weekend after one of them complimented my hair. When I showed them a picture of me with shorter hair, one liked the shorter hair pic, the other one didn't. Both were equally surprised how different I look. My brother thinks I looked better in that picture. I'm considering trimming it by half and getting dreadlocks. Then again, I've stopped untangling my hair because it's gotten too thick so it's naturally dreading and it's a bit itchy.

For me, going back to a really short hairstyle would mean to be invisible and look like everyone else which is not what I want. I want to stand out and be seen for better or worse. So far, I think it's been working well for me but if you have a short hairstyle that would suit me, I welcome suggestions. An NPR article that I recently read shows that there's still bias against curly hair.

Back on topic: Yesterday's date went okay. I'm not sure if there was much chemistry because the girl ended the date an hour into it citing that she wanted to be in bed by 9pm. Plus it was a cold departure because she didn't hug me. She talked a whole lot about her job and how she's only been in living the city for eight months. I was trying to avoid talking about jobs since it's a topic that is generally dry but she kept rambling on and on. At times it felt like she was venting even though she said that she loves what she does and I found some the stuff that she was working on interesting.

On the other hand when I told her that I freelance and don't have a 9-5, she was a bit envious and lamented not having much free time. It was a bit weird to be honest but then again I understand her point of view. She also mentioned being neurotic so I dunno if that gels well with me. I would meet up with her again to give her the benefit of the doubt, but I got more of a platonic vibe and ironically felt sorry for her. Her yawning from time to time didn't help.

I spent the rest of the night after she left chatting to my brother, working on a GAF portrait, and watched a documentary called Tower on PBS before I went home. Funny side note: This was the first date where someone guessed that I'm from Little Rock, Arkansas which I've never been to. I'm going to use that on future dates to troll women.

Also fucking hell Gotdatmoney! That certainly puts shit into perspective.

I spent a large portion of yesterday just in bewilderment of that. It is bar none the craziest shit I have ever seen.

I don't care about Valentines day at all but if I did, man, after seeing that it's so irrelevant. We all wake up in the morning and have friends and family that care about us and we get to see another day. That's like, more than enough to be happy about

(Not to dump on anyone who had a great day, that's awesome obviously)

(Not to dump on anyone who had a great day, that's awesome obviously)

Yep, but at the end of the day it's another day and some people didn't survive it so I'm always glad when I wake up the next morning.

Like, my Facebook feed was a 50/50 of people posting happy photos of their SO and then people complaining / trying to joke about being single.

Only a couple people were positive despite being single, and those are the types o people I want to be like. One girl even did a set of photos by herself that were Valentine's themed. They were actually super cute.

Like, I'd rather spend time being happy for other people than being bitter. But Valentine's day is nothing to get obsessed or depressed about. It's just another day, at the end of it.

No_Style

So... I have a date for Valentine's Day again. I just basically messaged a cute Japanese girl, told her I had a Valentine's Day reservation and was looking for a +1 and if she was interested. She said yes.

The impetus for even messaging anyone was not that I'm over what happened earlier today but that I didn't want to go through the hassle of calling and cancelling the reservation. This year has been really weird for me.

So the Valentine's Day date was very good! It wasn't a long date (Shy of 2 hours) but we both had fun. I was so impressed with how cool she was with being a last minute +1. She eventually called me out on it and I alluded to what happened but I told her I was very happy that she said yes and made a potentially poor Valentine's Day awesome. She was happy with how her V-Day turned out as well.

I made her laugh a lot and I felt I made a great first impression. We've already have intentions on date #2. (She wants to visit a ramen place that I told her about). I'll message her tomorrow and set something up for next week.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Okay, I'll do it. I think something like bowling or mini-golf could be fun. I understand that not everyone will say yes, but it helps to say something.

Yep, but at the end of the day it's another day and some people didn't survive it so I'm always glad when I wake up the next morning.

Like, my Facebook feed was a 50/50 of people posting happy photos of their SO and then people complaining / trying to joke about being single.

Only a couple people were positive despite being single, and those are the types o people I want to be like. One girl even did a set of photos by herself that were Valentine's themed. They were actually super cute.

Like, I'd rather spend time being happy for other people than being bitter. But Valentine's day is nothing to get obsessed or depressed about. It's just another day, at the end of it.

True dat fam. True dat. I don't think I even really interacted with anyone or any social media about the day yesterday tbh. Class + work is a time killer for sure.

Forward always. Always forward

Okay, I'll do it. I think something like bowling or mini-golf could be fun. I understand that not everyone will say yes, but it helps to say something.

Yaaaas

Correct, being in her house and asking is not comfortable for her, she would not know how you would react if she said no, outside or on messaging is best. Good luck, sounds like she's comfortable with you and you have some common ground.

That ended up working out. I called her, left her a voice mail saying "I'll be straight forward with my intentions, want to go on a date?" and her response was "Hey, got your message. I had the same thought and I'm down. I'll text you later when I'm on my way home." That went down a lot easier than I thought.

This'll be my first date, so I'm excited. I have no experience at all, but she is a blunt person, so I think it'll work out.

FyreWulff

Should I even bother asking out an 18 year old if I'm 26?

Nope. Don't.

Honestly, don't date anyone under 25. Brain formation doesn't finalize until around then and someone's personality/goals can shift heavily between 20-25 due to that and college and so on and so forth

That ended up working out. I called her, left her a voice mail saying "I'll be straight forward with my intentions, want to go on a date?" and her response was "Hey, got your message. I had the same thought and I'm down. I'll text you later when I'm on my way home." That went down a lot easier than I thought.

This'll be my first date, so I'm excited. I have no experience at all, but she is a blunt person, so I think it'll work out.

YAS.

Right? I mean if Eric Andre can do it...I can too.

That's the spirit. Just do it. Worst case is you get turned down. Don't take it personally if you do.

Nope. Don't.

Honestly, don't date anyone under 25.

What? No.

If you and the person you ask out:

A) Have something in common
B) Are attracted to each other
C) Might want to bone

Then the age gap doesn't matter all that much if there's a spark there. Just do it.

As long as it's legal.

FyreWulff

What? No.

If you and the person you ask out:

A) Have something in common
B) Are attracted to each other
C) Might want to bone

Then the age gap doesn't matter all that much if there's a spark there. Just do it.

As long as it's legal.

I edited in my explanation. It's more about maturity gap than age gap.

No_Style

Nope. Don't.

Honestly, don't date anyone under 25. Brain formation doesn't finalize until around then and someone's personality/goals can shift heavily between 20-25 due to that and college and so on and so forth

I agree wholeheartedly with this if you're looking for something long lasting.

Nope. Don't.

What? their people not biological study subjects. Dating is fine it does not have to be a lifelong commitment. People date, people break up it's normal. Not to give someone a chance based on age is ludicrous, he's not asking to marry and 18YO.

Anyway my take is 18YO are a lot of fun, enjoy it while it lasts.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Yaaaaas.

It's actually not even bad once you do it. I find people appreciate that you're forward with your intentions instead of coy with ulterior motives.

So things like Bowling or mini-golf is fine, right? I thought it would be cool just to bs around getting to know each other more. *shrugs*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom