• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dating Age |OT$6| Just ask her out already

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozorov

Don't have that many alternatives at the moment. Tinder feels dead around where I live.

Well at least you got to go on a date, always something. You don't have any old matches? Or is that not okey according to the Tinder-police?

Do you guys swipe right to only waifu-material-looking-girls?

Lol, I wasn't being sarcastic. What should I send then?

Honestly it's up to you. I didn't really use tinder, but I know you don't have a lot to go on with the profile (unlike say OKC). Some guys on here have had success with 'pizza or sushi?' and similar. Others try to start a gif battle. How are you is a really boring opener, and competition is high on online dating so you need to up your game. No point in spending hours crafting a perfect opening message either.

Also if you're worried about being ghosted after a date, I think suggesting another date isn't a bad shout. No response or some wishy-washy bs means you can move on to the next. But none of this 'do you want to do something at some point?', be specific!

I think every city has a specific 'app scene'. In my case for example, using the same pictures and the same bio, I had 2 matches in a month of using Bumble (neither contacted me, so nothing happened) vs. 8 matches in 3 days on Tinder, leading to 4 text convos, leading up to 1 almost guaranteed date this week, based on how things are shaping up.

But tbh, in my case, I'm only using Tinder to distract myself from the girl I really like. I met her the old fashioned way ( in person, asked for the number) and she seems way to good to be true. We have a date this weekend and I find myself overthinking everything and projecting into the future already, which is guaranteed heartbreak recipe.

Im flirting on Tinder to keep my mind occupied off of her, and I'm actually doing ok with matches and conversations.

Astral

What if the girl has nothing to work with on their profile? It's hard to come up with something to say when they themselves don't have shit. That's often my issue. I try to comment on one of their pictures but it rarely works.

What if the girl has nothing to work with on their profile? It's hard to come up with something to say when they themselves don't have shit. That's often my issue. I try to comment on one of their pictures but it rarely works.

I think in those cases, a joke or a question about something random might capture attention. Is there nothing at all in the pics, in the background or something to inquire about ? Or an activity they're doing ?

Makonero

It may be just as boring, but my go-to is "How was your weekend? Got anything fun going on this week?"

It at least gives them something to work with.

Astral

I think in those cases, a joke or a question about something random might capture attention. Is there nothing at all in the pics, in the background or something to inquire about ? Or an activity they're doing ?

That's usually what I work with. Not many results. Probably my own pics.

It may be just as boring, but my go-to is "How was your weekend? Got anything fun going on this week?"

It at least gives them something to work with.

Sometimes I just ask if I can ask them something. It's super boring but it actually gets the most responses lol. I usually don't actually even have a question.

artsi

Might work if you do a double date and hook up one of single bros. A double date might actually be a good first date idea ?

If we agreed to that in advance then why not, but dropping it right before the date (which was supposed to be 1-on-1) doesn't sound too good.

Xun

My old go-to first message was "Hey, up to much trouble this week/weekend?", which did work quite a bit, but I'm going to start with something different when I get back into dating again.

In some cases I will personalise the first message if something catches my attention, but a lot of the time there's nothing to work with.

I'll then ask them about what they're into, and if they're into something I'm into. Like "are you adventurous or thrill seeking?". Makes for good conversation, brings up stuff about travelling or stories about adrenaline junkie kind of activities.

lol abort mission.

She asked if it's okay to bring her friend (on the first date).
Nope, not doing that.

I'd bail on that too, shows a lack of independence and confidence. But on the other hand it might be for safety if she's meeting strangers from the internet. I can't see it being a natural date with a chaperone either way.

Dawg

Well at least you got to go on a date, always something. You don't have any old matches? Or is that not okey according to the Tinder-police?

Do you guys swipe right to only waifu-material-looking-girls?

I have some girls I talk to a bit, but not as much as the girl from date.

I'm just so surprised since the date went great and she enjoyed herself and she was talking about a second date and all. It's just weird, I guess. I'm not sure how to feel now.

3 girls wanted to do something with me tonight. i got a stye in my eye on saturday and i still look like i got punched in the face come this morning. So i picked a girl and planned a date but just gave her a heads up that my eye is little swollen.

Advice. Do i put a little concealer to take the redness out of my eye or go all natural.

3 girls wanted to do something with me tonight. i got a stye in my eye on saturday and i still look like i got punched in the face come this morning. So i picked a girl and planned a date but just gave her a heads up that my eye is little swollen.

Advice. Do i put a little concealer to take the redness out of my eye or go all natural.

Menaji Camouflage Concealer. Works wonders for redness and razor burn. But yes, there's no shame in using concealer.

I'm all about equality. If women can wear makeup, we can too.

I'm just so surprised since the date went great and she enjoyed herself and she was talking about a second date and all. It's just weird, I guess. I'm not sure how to feel now.

Don't take it personally. It happens.

Ozorov

Is it common that Tinder just keeps loading on the first page? It doesn't say "looking for new people" or something. I have a iphone.

No_Style

I need to ask my female friends if they've done this and why they do so. I'm guessing it's just being polite and nice. Or did they just reflect on the date and it wasn't as great as they believed it to be at that moment? I wouldn't dare mention a second date if I didn't feel chemistry.

It's kinda shitty when that happens, but it is not personal.

If there is something I've learned from Tinder is to never create too much expectations based on the first date, even if the first date was amazing.

I need to ask my female friends if they've done this and why they do so. I'm guessing it's just being polite and nice. Or did they just reflect on the date and it wasn't as great as they believed it to be at that moment? I wouldn't dare mention a second date if I didn't feel chemistry.

It depends. Remember that everyone's dating multiple people. What's appealing in one moment is, based upon rank-ordered preferences, less appealing in the next.

DoomGyver

I'm so tired of getting numbers and being immediately ignored. I approached this girl, spoke for about 5 minutes and she seems interested. So I ask her for her number so we can grab lunch and she doesn't even hesitate. Great, right? I text her one time the next day and I get no response, call her one time 2 days after the text and get voicemail. How hard is it to just say no, thanks - i'm not interested, or even lie and say you have a bf. Fuck'em, this 30 yr old guy just has to move on to the next.

I'm so tired of getting numbers and being immediately ignored. I approached this girl, spoke for about 5 minutes and she seems interested. So I ask her for her number so we can grab lunch and she doesn't even hesitate. Great, right? I text her one time the next day and I get no response, call her one time 2 days after the text and get voicemail. How hard is it to just say no, thanks - i'm not interested, or even lie and say you have a bf. Fuck'em, this 30 yr old guy just has to move on to the next.

Its kinda like the ghosting discussion from earlier. Enough girls have had to deal with guys insulting them, threatening them or becoming assholes when rejected that they won't do it to your face, to protect themselves. They'll give you the number and then just never reply...

Its part of the game, just gotta live with it.

Salamando

She did say no, just in a roundabout way that avoids direction rejection. There are some crazy-ass men out there who don't take rejection well. If she just met you, she has no idea how sane you are. Don't take it as a slight against yourself, just realize that you're paying for the sins of others.

No_Style

She did say no, just in a roundabout way that avoids direction rejection. There are some crazy-ass men out there who don't take rejection well. If she just met you, she has no idea how sane you are. Don't take it as a slight against yourself, just realize that you're paying for the sins of others.

Yeah. This is the shittiest of realities but that's what I need to remind myself as well.

SilentRob

Lol, I wasn't being sarcastic. What should I send then?

Literally anything else that shows you actually looked at her profile and have genuine interest. If it's a site like OKcupid reference a hobbie of hers, if it's Tinder, check her often linked Instagram for travel pics and ask her about that, if it's just a profile pic, say something about the color of her hair, it seriously doesn't matter what exactly you say. Start with a joke if nothing else comes to mind. Just write a message she knows you wrote for her and you didn't just spam 100 profiles with. She likely gets dozens of "Hey, how are you!"s every day.

Meh, I send a cute gif (the winking animated hamburger drawing) and say "hi 😉". Gets a decent amount of replies. I can't be bothered to do anything more.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
I did it GAF! I asked out a girl with whom I had gotten rather close with. We were good friends for months but then I finally asked her and she said yes! We've been dating for a bit now and it's been fantastic! Thanks for the confidence boost!

Xun

Meh, I send a cute gif (the winking animated hamburger drawing) and say "hi ��". Gets a decent amount of replies. I can't be bothered to do anything more.
I don't blame you.

The quicker and less time wasted before actually meeting someone, the better.

And welcome back by the way!

Self control friend. You missed a fantastic saga, don't leave us in trying times.
I'm not sure I'd use the word fantastic, but they were certainly trying times.

Damerman

Sent a text to my date from saturday asking why she is so quiet.

Kinda afraid of the answer, or worse, lack of.

Sucks when you have a great date and start to get hope and then things get silent.

Or... maybe I am expecting too much from a first date. I do sound a bit clingy, heh.
dont double text. Its so easy to move on and find another.

No_Style

I did it GAF! I asked out a girl with whom I had gotten rather close with. We were good friends for months but then I finally asked her and she said yes! We've been dating for a bit now and it's been fantastic! Thanks for the confidence boost!

I love happy stories like this. Congratulations!

Fake edit: Just confirmed lunch with a girl I met in January. We're just friends. I'm just looking to have a no pressure lunch with good female company at this point.

bluethree

dont double text. Its so easy to move on and find another.

Disagree. One more text (and ONLY one more text) is not going to kill you. If no response after that though, yeah move on.

I've gotten dates from double texts before. As long as you're not a needy "y u no respon?" guy it's okay.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
96S8xea.png

Disagree. One more text (and ONLY one more text) is not going to kill you. If no response after that though, yeah move on.

I've gotten dates from double texts before. As long as you're not a needy "y u no respon?" guy it's okay.

Yeah, what have you got to lose?
Possibly your dignity, but I'd rather get a date...

Multiple texts when I'm doing something else stresses me the fuck out. Just hearing those multiple buzzes/rings triggers some anxiety in me. So annoying.

gaiages

Banned

congrats!!!

Multiple texts when I'm doing something else stresses me the fuck out. Just hearing those multiple buzzes/rings triggers some anxiety in me. So annoying.

Yeah, it does for me too. It's my SO's biggest vice... he just loves sending 5 texts straight and it drives me insane. WE'RE AT WORK, STOP IT. He always manages to spam it when I'm in a meeting or training someone too... Bah.

He managed to hide it for several months too, so I was too invested once he started! Jerk.

FyreWulff

lol. people get mad at me for not responding right away in texts. I always just use them as a "message queue" and respond when i have time. if it's urgent, actually call

edit: this is not about dating messages, just in general lol

Online dating question. Is there a good hardfast rule as to when to ask to meet in person? How many messages? Or is it just the vibe? I always ask for coffee dates, 'cause I don't want to get murdered.

Give them your number instead. It takes a bit of the edge off of a potential creep/stalker/etc and they get to decide if/how/when they reach out to you

stn

Doesn't matter. Just say something funny - anything, really. She'll reply to practically whatever you write if she's into your pic(s).

artsi said:
She asked if it's okay to bring her friend (on the first date).
Nope, not doing that.
I always interpret this as a I'm not into you, basically. Good on you for not having that, keep sticking to your guns.

Astral said:
Sometimes I just ask if I can ask them something. It's super boring but it actually gets the most responses lol. I usually don't actually even have a question.
Never do this. Why ask permission? You don't want to look like you lack confidence before you've even started.

Yup,me too and more
often when my phone is on charge and I have to walk across the room check/reply go back where I was and then get another text with a question that could have been asked in just one text.

I have none.
I was with you the whole time during that craziness, though. Surely you felt my presence?

It wasn't the same though ��

It was pretty amusing ya gotta admit.

fuck you guys, like I'm not even here.��

Online dating question. Is there a good hardfast rule as to when to ask to meet in person? How many messages? Or is it just the vibe? I always ask for coffee dates, 'cause I don't want to get murdered.
Of course you should see how the vibe is, after a decent amount of meshing and getting to know each other...and ask at a peak of a good conversation, when she's doing most of the texting/talking... Keep her hanging, don't ask when the convo has died down...

It may come off rude but, cut a good conversation short.."Hey listen I gotta get going right now but.. what do you say we meet up for a coffee this weekend, I'm free Sunday." (Granted you say this on a Friday, but not on a Monday)

Give her at least two days notice for a date so...
1) She doesn't think you're desperate and want to meet up immediately
2) You have a busy schedule and not some chump that could be available at any given time..
3) give her enough time to sleep on it, and mentally prepare to meet a stranger in person. (guess same as number 1...Don't make her feel rushed)
Having said that, don't give her like a week's notice, ie: Plan on Monday to meet upcoming Sunday... It's going to be five days of keeping her expectations of you high, and her wanting to talk to you via text (or phone) more than you care to chat.. leave all the interesting stuff for the in person date, if you chat with her every day for five days straight AFTER planning a date, the excitement and anticipation will not be as strong from her.

In a nutshell, the sooner you sit down and get to know each other in person, the sooner you'll know if it will work out for real, and the better for both of you.

Make sure you pick a day, you're free and available though, and a location where you can easily make it, (on time) local cafe.... I learned that lesson, I do cancel a lot, most of my date fails are for canceling or agreeing to meet them in their neck of the woods, which most often prove to be a little too far for me to venture to...

Astral

Doesn't matter. Just say something funny - anything, really. She'll reply to practically whatever you write if she's into your pic(s).

I always interpret this as a I'm not into you, basically. Good on you for not having that, keep sticking to your guns.

Never do this. Why ask permission? You don't want to look like you lack confidence before you've even started.

Oh I know. I usually say "Hey, I wanna ask you something." and if they don't reply I just go ahead and ask. And all of that is if I'm feeling lazy or have nothing at all to work with. It has surprisingly given me a few responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom