• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dating Age |OT$6| Just ask her out already

Status
Not open for further replies.

FyreWulff

Ray, just a heads up, if you're wanting to be a dad and you two aren't getting married, at least start the legal paperwork to set up custody and shit once the kid is born.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Good! It makes me glad that there are people like you out there who will step up! :)

Thanks, I'm around the age I wanted to start looking for a relationship that that happened in. I'm pretty lucky that It has only just happened now.

Ray, just a heads up, if you're wanting to be a dad and you two aren't getting married, at least start the legal paperwork to set up custody and shit once the kid is born.

I mean, I haven't brought up the word marriage and I'm hoping she doesn't. Yet at least. I'm not making a yes or no, i will i wont on that yet. We can try and be a couple for the kid, if that works out well enough. I'll get married for sure.

AHHHHH, fuck. I don't want to think about all that right now.

I'm going back to designing a shit filter for a waste treatment plant, hope that gets my mind off this.

Llyranor

Yeah... this makes me really leery of what I did last month. Fortunately, no issues there, even though we were exclusive.

But he's right: always use two condoms!

I meant more like condom + pill, for example. I believe double condoms might actually have some risk of rupture because of friction between each other.

Ray Wonder

brawly

Yeaaah, she's pregnant. She's still not sure about keeping it though. I told her that it's up to her, but if she does keep it I'll be there for her. Hopefully this could just work out? Does that happen? Everything up to the past 3 days was amazing. Couldn't get enough of seeing each other. Maybe that'll continue? She got over the fact that I'm an atheist I guesss. With this news and everything.

I'm amazed how you're so calm about it. It's a kid. A huge lifelong responsibility. And an unexpected one at that. I'd freak the fuck out.

Solo

When do you guys use the terms boyfriend/girlfriend etc?

After about 6-8 weeks of dating I asked my GF one night while we were lying in bed "so....you're my girlfriend, right?". She said yes and that was that. There's no "time" to do it though, just whenever it feels right. Some couples never even have "the talk", they just naturally become BF/GF.

Solo

Well Ray, good luck. Be a good dad!

Not gonna lie, that's at least part of the reason I will never be intimate with someone lol. Even the idea ratchets my anxiety to 100.

Wait....you've never been intimate with someone, and by choice?

Ray Wonder

I'm amazed how you're so calm about it. It's a kid. A huge lifelong responsibility. And an unexpected one at that. I'd freak the fuck out.

I honestly don't know, I thought I would freak out more. Maybe I eventually will. Idk

Nothing stops the Zelda train.

Nvm, this is why.

When do you guys use the terms boyfriend/girlfriend etc?

Few weeks in, like 6-10, wait until she asks what you're doing tomorrow, and say "Hopefully hanging out with my girlfriend." and then kiss her, bam. She'll remember it forever.

bluethree

I had as much luck in Tokyo just chatting up girls at Hub locations as I did on any apps. Neither were great for me, tbh - that's just not my country.

Tokyo is kinda lame tbh, I wish I could find something elsewhere in Japan even though I really like my current job.

Fukuoka in particular is much nicer and the girls are much friendlier. Not much of a tourist town though, but incredibly nice.

Fukuoka is the best for a multitude of reasons and I always sing its praises as a resident of Kagoshima.

Speaking of Japan tonight, got hit on by a dude from Korea. Did not seem like a typical Korean dude whatever that is but he was shy and barely spoke. He was nice and got a lil tipsey... and kept grabbing me... If I meet him again I will take him home if not zannen mofo loll...

Lots of drinking and getting hit on tonight by ladies and men. Talk about confidence booster.

Oh man and I totally wreked some dude trying tot show off for a lady he picked up. He was like I'm so good at street fighter, I walked all over his ass it was great! abd the girl was like please let hjim win rofl... if he woon they could all drink free, if I won they would all pay (it was my friends bar)

good fucking night,

Fukuoka is the best for a multitude of reasons and I always sing its praises as a resident of Kagoshima.

Speaking of Japan tonight, got hit on by a dude from Korea. Did not seem like a typical Korean dude whatever that is but he was shy and barely spoke. He was nice and got a lil tipsey... and kept grabbing me... If I meet him again I will take him home if not zannen mofo loll...

Lots of drinking and getting hit on tonight by ladies and men. Talk about confidence booster.

Oh man and I totally wreked some dude trying tot show off for a lady he picked up. He was like I'm so good at street fighter, I walked all over his ass it was great! abd the girl was like please let hjim win rofl... if he woon they could all drink free, if I won they would all pay (it was my friends bar)

good fucking night,

I went to a party where they have smash 4 set up. One guy was just dominating everyone. Steped up, stomped his ass, went back to drinking. Feels good man.

Life lesson. Just under promise and over deliver.

Dating Age |OT7| it's a Raywonderful Life

Ok, let me ask this. Majority of girls I've talked to, they say they can't swim. They can do all the other adventurous stuff but swimming, oh no! Deathly afraid. What the hell, were boys taught swimming while girls were shunned from it or something?

Untitled-11_aa89fc12067e3c2d063a4e6b1896c3eag.jpg

zoukka

Just ended an 8 year relationship a while ago. Still feel like shit. How did you guys build confidence and interest in dating after long relationships?

FyreWulff

Ok, let me ask this. Majority of girls I've talked to, they say they can't swim. They can do all the other adventurous stuff but swimming, oh no! Deathly afraid. What the hell, were boys taught swimming while girls were shunned from it or something?

Not many people learn to swim

Ozorov

Where I'm from everyone (99.9% at least!) can swim. Don't you have swimming school/training in elementary school in US?

vypek

Where I'm from everyone (99.9% at least!) can swim. Don't you have swimming school/training in elementary school in US?

The first time they taught swimming in any school I went to (moved around a few states) was in high school. Swam a little when I was a kid. I'm not really great at it either. Its just not something I've cared too much about and didn't have access to pools for big chunks of my life.

gaiages

Banned

Haha! I can't swim either.

Then again I grew up in upstate NY so swimming wasn't a survival skill I needed, lol. Really, more that my parents didn't bother to teach me to do it though.

Of course now that I live in Florida I'm seen as some kind of freak for not knowing how to swim :p

Nope, and only one of the high schools I went to had a swimming pool, but they weren't teaching anyone how to swim at that point, they just assumed everyone knew. *shrug*

How often do you guys call vs. text ? After meeting up at least once, I prefer calling. I hate texting, and having to wait for a reply. Makes conversation very stilted. One 2-min phone call, just to plan the next date, then no contact other than to confirm the day of.

Anyone else like this? Do women find annoying or a sign of confidence? Probably depends on the age. I seems like anyone under 25 does nothing but text anymore. Once I'm in a settled relationship, I'm fine with regular conversation in any method, but the texting-and-waiting game early on is getting more and more annoying with every new girl I meet.

Haha! I can't swim either.

Then again I grew up in upstate NY so swimming wasn't a survival skill I needed, lol. Really, more that my parents didn't bother to teach me to do it though.

Of course now that I live in Florida I'm seen as some kind of freak for not knowing how to swim :p

Nope, and only one of the high schools I went to had a swimming pool, but they weren't teaching anyone how to swim at that point, they just assumed everyone knew. *shrug*

What if you have to fight an alligator and have to swim away? C'mon gaiages.

If only they were that cheap in the UK...

It certainly makes for some fascinating reading.

Buy from Amazon and you can get em pretty cheap.

I'm in UK, but yeah everyone swam in school so I don't get what happened in adulthood to girls.

I can still swim, though it has been a while since I last did.

Bro if you didnt watch her swallow the pill
She didnt take it 😂

Haha my bf always double checks that I've been taking mine, just so he knows whether to use a condom. Usually I remember but not always.

So I was seeing this girl from tinder the past couple weeks, seemed to be going pretty well. First time we went out we basically spent the whole day together, just ourselves and then later we hanged out with her friends for a little while, They are all just on campus and that's about all we go since the town is small. It went pretty great actually, we really hit it off and were just having a good time. And with her friends, I'd say I'm a pretty anxious dude in general but I got along really well with all of them.

Anyway fast forward to now and she seems waaaaay less interested in messaging and stuff all of a sudden and I don't think last night went very well. We saw a movie then just hung with her friends again for a couple hours. I think her friends like me more than she does at this point. I've yet to ask her out again but I'll try later (If she even responds to earlier texts)

Just frustrating, and this was basically the first time I've gotten past a first date with someone from tinder. Oh well.

Ozorov

So I was seeing this girl from tinder the past couple weeks, seemed to be going pretty well. First time we went out we basically spent the whole day together, just ourselves and then later we hanged out with her friends for a little while, They are all just on campus and that's about all we go since the town is small. It went pretty great actually, we really hit it off and were just having a good time. And with her friends, I'd say I'm a pretty anxious dude in general but I got along really well with all of them.

Anyway fast forward to now and she seems waaaaay less interested in messaging and stuff all of a sudden and I don't think last night went very well. We saw a movie then just hung with her friends again for a couple hours. I think her friends like me more than she does at this point. I've yet to ask her out again but I'll try later (If she even responds to earlier texts)

Just frustrating, and this was basically the first time I've gotten past a first date with someone from tinder. Oh well.

I find it a bad sign she includes her friends at your dates.

I find it a bad sign she includes her friends at your dates.

They seem like a very tight-knit group, one of her other friends brought her boyfriend with her last time. It's mostly been us doing something then her asking if I want to do something else with her friends later too.

Jhoan

Just ended an 8 year relationship a while ago. Still feel like shit. How did you guys build confidence and interest in dating after long relationships?

I've never been in a long term relationship but I wanted to highlight this post since it was overlooked. Most folks will tell you to by giving yourself permission to take time off to mourn the end of the relationship and cry if you must, hit the gym, hang out with friends, play games, draw a lot, travel, etc. Basically take as much time as you need before jumping back into the dating pool. By getting your social life back together and picking up new things that you enjoy, in time you'll "know" when you'll feel good enough to date again. It's hard to explain but it's an intuitive thing.

It varies from person to person of course since some people will get out of a relationship, immediately start dating, jump into a new relationship, and burn out because they're still coming to terms with the previous relationship ending (Infinity Patriot's thread about getting over his ex was a good example). Others take several months to or a year or two off before dating again. It's very YMMV.

When you eventually get back into dating, explore your options by dating around, get into casual relationships, and take it slow before deciding to look for something long-term again somewhere down the line. As a fellow artist, whenever I'm feeling bummed out about dating or otherwise, I like to draw without any objective to let my feelings out because it tends to be a cathartic experience. I hope that helps!

Leeness

I CAN swim, but I never do/wouldn't want to, because I refuse to wear bating suits. 🤷

Was at a party last week and immediately locked eyes with this cute Asian girl. Next day she's 3 way messaging me and our mutual friend about setting up a night for drinks. Friend bails on us at last minute (what a pal), so it was just me and her talking and getting drunk, which turned into making out and fooling around for like 4 hours. She's coming over tonight and I've spent all day getting ready. Sometimes you just have to play the waiting game and wait for the right situation. Online dating and all that hasn't ever really worked for me.

So I did go on a first date today, with minimum to no expectations. Happy to say things went really well. She was such a cutey, quite classy and quirky lady too. Lesson learned, don't waste precious time chatting up a storm for days via text. Nothing really good comes out of that I learned. She gave me minimal attention via text, pre date. But once we met up face to face. She was super bubbly, talkative (in a positive way) opening up to me about her career, passions etc.
Moral of the story, Keep the text chatter short and plan a date no later than four days from the planned date. She even asked me out this time, Which was amazing. Is movies a good second date? We planned to go see Logan,l or Get out on a second date. But I'm never Too keen on movies as second or even third dates.

DoomGyver

Spent another night alone at the bar, this shit is soul crushing. Already deleted tinder after a week of nothing. I'll be 31 this year but still look like I'm a 19 year old. I've really been trying to meet new people and make friends outside of coworkers. Instead of getting carry out I've been dining in, usually at the bar. Instead of going to the store and hitting the checkout in less than 15 minutes I've been taking my time.

I'll go to starbucks and read a book, I plan on going to farmers market more often and our towns first friday festivals. I got into beekeeping and started going to the meetings.

I just don't know what else I can do. I have a sense of humor and some wit, but one can only make so many jokes. I'm a gentleman, always hold the door, make small talk, give women compliments that are tasteful so I don't come off as some sort of creeper. I never pressure for numbers or dates.

It's a lot more socially acceptable for a lady to look extremely young than it is for a man. Does anyone else know how awkward it can be to flirt with someone your age - but look nearly young enough for her to be your mother?

I'm not going to stop, I'm going to keep looking - it's just damn difficult sometimes.

Spent another night alone at the bar, this shit is soul crushing. Already deleted tinder after a week of nothing. I'll be 31 this year but still look like I'm a 19 year old. I've really been trying to meet new people and make friends outside of coworkers. Instead of getting carry out I've been dining in, usually at the bar. Instead of going to the store and hitting the checkout in less than 15 minutes I've been taking my time.

I'll go to starbucks and read a book, I plan on going to farmers market more often and our towns first friday festivals. I got into beekeeping and started going to the meetings.

I just don't know what else I can do. I have a sense of humor and some wit, but one can only make so many jokes. I'm a gentleman, always hold the door, make small talk, give women compliments that are tasteful so I don't come off as some sort of creeper. I never pressure for numbers or dates.

It's a lot more socially acceptable for a lady to look extremely young than it is for a man. Does anyone else know how awkward it can be to flirt with someone your age - but look nearly young enough for her to be your mother?

I'm not going to stop, I'm going to keep looking - it's just damn difficult sometimes.

Tinder isn't the only avenue. A week is nothing. None of us are only on one website/app. Just keep doing what you're doing, and don't let these things get you down. It's not the end of the world. You're still relatively young. I'm turning 30, I look young for my age, but that's a good thing. Don't have to pick people of your age, you can go younger, if looks bother you. There are plenty of people looking for a partner into their 40s and 50s. Just keep searching, and meanwhile continue living your life as normal. That way, even if rejections happen, you're focused on other things so it doesn't hurt as you move on and on to the next thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom