• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Rebirth |OT| It's not a reboot, and it always was [SPOILERS for Rebirth #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Really suprised that the Rebirth one shot hasn't leaked in anyway.

Speaking of - It may be a stupid question, but are all of the Rebirth Issues concepted as One Shots?
I know they introduce into the different ongoings, are they supposed to work on their own?

Andodalf

Banned
Yall seen this

E4kluOe.jpg

Rebirth redesign by Rafael Alburquerque

Titans Hunt ended today, and it's teasing
a classic Wally West return so hard they couldn't be more blatant about it if they tried.

Not the least bit surprised, question is, which books?

Guessing Titans/Flash, maybe he'll be in JLA? Could JLA be a group of heroes who were forgotten in time?

tim1138

Not the least bit surprised, question is, which books?

Guessing Titans/Flash, maybe he'll be in JLA? Could JLA be a group of heroes who were forgotten in time?

I'm still counting on JLA actually being a Johns/Fabok JSA book that they didn't want to announce for fear of spoiling Rebirth.

Ross61

Old white fans are going to be happy their getting their "Wally" back. Here's to hoping that Joshua Williams and Ben Percy still pay great attention to the new Wally still.

Old white fans are going to be happy their getting their "Wally" back. Here's to hoping that Joshua Williams and Ben Percy still pay great attention to the new Wally still.

The ethnicity isn't the problem. It's that new Wally is Kid Flash again and he's a stereotype. He needs to replace Barry and be like he was pre-new52

Question for folks more invested in certain DC properties than I am, with the caveat that the full scope of the retcons in Rebirth won't become clear until next week and thus this speculation might be off:

Titans Hunt has retconned a version of the Silver/Bronze Age Teen Titans back into New 52 continuity, but with none of the actual history or continuity of their pre-New 52 counterparts. If the initial rumors are to be believed, it sounds like Rebirth will take a similar approach to the original JSA.

Do fans of the original Titans and JSA see this as an acceptable compromise?

Really suprised that the Rebirth one shot hasn't leaked in anyway.

Books rarely leak more than a day or two early.

Also: buried at the end of an article largely about his new films role, but it sounds like Johns may not be writing any of the ongoing Rebirth books. At least, not anymore.

http://www.vulture.com/2016/05/geoff-johns-dc-films.html

That said, he’s currently taking a break from writing comics for a while. He penned a status-quo-altering one-shot issue called DC Universe: Rebirth, which comes out in a week and was the topic of conversation at today’s journalist gathering — but after that his hands will be too full. Whatever he does next, it’ll be rooted in a belief that DC needs to understand the deep-seated warmth and love that people feel toward its pantheon. “There’s a lot of emotional underpinning of the characters and the stories," he said. "It's not that people take it for granted. They’re just not as aware of it. But when it’s not there, you really feel that emptiness.”

Question for folks more invested in certain DC properties than I am, with the caveat that the full scope of the retcons in Rebirth won't become clear until next week and thus this speculation might be off:

Titans Hunt has retconned a version of the Silver/Bronze Age Teen Titans back into New 52 continuity, but with none of the actual history or continuity of their pre-New 52 counterparts. If the initial rumors are to be believed, it sounds like Rebirth will take a similar approach to the original JSA.

Haven't been reading Titans Hunt; what do you mean by "a version?" Like, the characters structurally resemble their old counterparts, but without the same history?

Because if so, I would definitely be happy with that re: the Titans, and a little less happy re: the JSA, but still satisfied, depending on how it's handled. The Titans were always weighed down by some of the more fucked up parts of their past. The JSA, on the other hand, were largely defined by their link the history of the setting, but so long as that history exists for them (like, it happened to them, even if it didn't happen to the rest of the main universe characters), I'd be okay with it.

Also: buried at the end of an article largely about his new films role, but it sounds like Johns may not be writing any of the ongoing Rebirth books. At least, not anymore.

http://www.vulture.com/2016/05/geoff-johns-dc-films.html

Miiiiiight be for the best. Better than splitting his attention between supervising the films and trying to write a comic, at least; he was already struggling in spots just trying to juggle writing and editing.

Haven't been reading Titans Hunt; what do you mean by "a version?" Like, the characters structurally resemble their old counterparts, but without the same history?

Because if so, I would definitely be happy with that re: the Titans, and a little less happy re: the JSA, but still satisfied, depending on how it's handled. The Titans were always weighed down by some of the more fucked up parts of their past. The JSA, on the other hand, were largely defined by their link the history of the setting, but so long as that history exists for them (like, it happened to them, even if it didn't happen to the rest of the main universe characters), I'd be okay with it.

Yeah. There was a counterpart of the original Teen Titans (Robin, Wonder Girl, Speedy, Aqualad, etc.) that had adventures under that name some years in the past of the New 52, but they don't appear to have the same history as their pre-New 52 counterparts; I didn't read the entire miniseries, so I'm not sure how much of their old/new history was actually filled in, but it does establish that Don Hall died in a very different manner here. Anyway, thanks.

Yeah, I think it's pretty clear the one-shot is Johns last hurrah for a good while. The JSA writer, whoever it is, will be their "celebrity hire".

Im still campaigning for Hickman to write JLA or an LoSH book.

Also i heard on...either CBR or one of these sites that Rebirth spoilers were floating around reddit etc. Seems unlikely but beware

Squire

Banned
Im still campaigning for Hickman to write JLA or an LoSH book.

Also i heard on...either CBR or one of these sites that Rebirth spoilers were floating around reddit etc. Seems unlikely but beware

Funny enough, right after I posted that I was thinking I could see Hickman writing JLA to start and then LOSH down the road, with both books tieing into each other over time.

When you think about it, a not-always-canon book like JLA is the perfect place to send a world destroyer like Hickman.

I'll be disappointed if Johns is too busy to write. I've been hanging on to hope for a Shazam ongoing for the longest time, especially with his movie coming up. He hasn't had an ongoing since 1999 and he's one of my favorite DC characters, and now it looks like he isn't in any on goings at all. I'm sure the movie will be cancelled too :/.

Funny enough, right after I posted that I was thinking I could see Hickman writing JLA to start and then LOSH down the road, with both books tieing into each other over time.

When you think about it, a not-always-canon book like JLA is the perfect place to send a world destroyer like Hickman.

LOSH is Hickman's favorite comic IIRC.

Then again Cyclops is his favorite superhero and they never let him write fucking X-Men when he was at Marvel.

ZeroX03

Banned

The problem with Wally was never that they made him black (concerning stereotypes maybe), but that he was never a very interesting sidekick tier speedster and a better Flash than Barry.

I'm hoping the show takes inspiration from Young Justice for Kid Flash Wally, because I can't think of a time in the books where he was ever interesting. Born to Run is about as much effort as Kid Flash ever warranted.

tim1138

I'll be disappointed if Johns is too busy to write. I've been hanging on to hope for a Shazam ongoing for the longest time, especially with his movie coming up. He hasn't had an ongoing since 1999 and he's one of my favorite DC characters, and now it looks like he isn't in any on goings at all. I'm sure the movie will be cancelled too :/.

My hope for a Shazam on going has been transferred to Steve Orlando. I loved his Darkseid War Shazam one shot and a week or so ago he tweeted something about giving a legendary character a "fresh coat of paint" when talking about unannounced projects

Squire

Banned
LOSH is Hickman's favorite comic IIRC.

Then again Cyclops is his favorite superhero and they never let him write fucking X-Men when he was at Marvel.

That's why we're theorizing he's going to get to write it eventually. Secret Wars recently finishing up (and largely considered a success, at that) and Rebirth starting up, with DC talking up reintroducing characters just makes it all too convenient. It'll be a shame if it never comes to fruition.

His favorite is Cyke though? I'm crushed.

Edit: I would've killed for a King/Shaner GL book. The Darkseid War tie-in is so good and gorgeous.

My hope for a Shazam on going has been transferred to Steve Orlando. I loved his Darkseid War Shazam one shot and a week or so ago he tweeted something about giving a legendary character a "fresh coat of paint" when talking about unannounced projects

That's cool, there's only a handful of b/c-tier heroes that I can think of that don't have an ongoing right now or we don't know what's happening to them. I don't think Atom, The Hawks or Firestorm have been mentioned in any solicits or interviews. Billy's on the cover of rebirth so I imagine he'll have some role in the story.

LordRaptor

The problem with Wally was never that they made him black (concerning stereotypes maybe), but that he was never a very interesting sidekick tier speedster and a better Flash than Barry.

I'm hoping the show takes inspiration from Young Justice for Kid Flash Wally, because I can't think of a time in the books where he was ever interesting. Born to Run is about as much effort as Kid Flash ever warranted.

Whaaaaaaat....?
Waids Flash run is straight up Good Comics™.
Pretty harsh calling Wally West an uninteresting character, especially given how boring Bally Allen was.

tim1138

Edit: I would've killed for a King/Shaner GL book. The Darkseid War tie-in is so good and gorgeous.

I wanted that more than anything else for Rebirth

That's cool, there's only a handful of b/c-tier heroes that I can think of that don't have an ongoing right now or we don't know what's happening to them. I don't think Atom, The Hawks or Firestorm have been mentioned in any solicits or interviews. Billy's on the cover of rebirth so I imagine he'll have some role in the story.

Other than Constantine and Swampy, there's been no mention of any of the magic users either.
During one of the interviews, Johns specifically called out Shazam, the Legion, and New Gods as having very specific story beats to get them to Rebirth.

Speaking of Hickman, the dream is him on New Gods.

LordRaptor

Wally West as Kid Flash was uninteresting.

Wally West as The Flash is the GOAT.

yeah, okay, I can get behind that - I thought you were saying WW was a bad character in general, not just in kid sidekick mode (although... he had his moments in Teen Titans...)

Wally West as Kid Flash was uninteresting.

Wally West as The Flash is the GOAT.

Wally as Kid Flash was great in the Young Justice show, and he wasn't bad in the Wolfman run of Teen Titans.

Also, kinda depressed now, I apparently missed that Darwyn Cooke died a few days ago. That sucks.

nothing else, we know that Johns and artist Gary Frank are hard at work on another Batman: Earth One sequel.

Yusssssss

They're probably right, tho. Lee and Didio are not guys I want shaping the overall tone and direction of, uh, anything. Snyder could potentially step into the role, I guess.

The Jordan comparison is kinda laughable, tho. Johns is good, damn good, but not that good. Not when he's sharing shelf space with the likes of Morrison.

I wanted that more than anything else for Rebirth

Other than Constantine and Swampy, there's been no mention of any of the magic users either.
During one of the interviews, Johns specifically called out Shazam, the Legion, and New Gods as having very specific story beats to get them to Rebirth.

Speaking of Hickman, the dream is him on New Gods.

You're totally right about the magic users, that's interesting. So excited for next week.

I hope John's duty is only temporary for the DCEU, once the movies get rolling hopefully he can go back to comics. But if new talented writers take his place, then idgaf. This is a new era for DC, hopefully their training program pays off.

Ross61

Just wanted to tell you guys that spoilers are out. Just wanted you to know so that you can be cautious while searching Rebirth related stuff. If you didn't want to be spoiled that is.

I really enjoy Earth 2's concept for the JSA where it's given a fair shake with a good creative team. The problem is the book's talent is spotty. Robinson and Taylor seemed to have decent ideas, but Wilson's current run is lacking.

Those spoilers are crazy as hell.

Just wanted to tell you guys that spoilers are out. Just wanted you to know so that you can be cautious while searching Rebirth related stuff. If you didn't want to be spoiled that is.

*checks /co/*

Well, that part I saw coming, but not THAT part. what the fuck.

good to know, thank you, staying off /co/, comicgaf and reddit :p. Waiting is the hardest part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom