• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC's Legends Of Tomorrow |OT| Macho Man Vandal Savage - Thursdays 8/7c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maddocks

Next week is going to be crazy and I can't wait. I'm happy they are going into the future and we know that felicity does in fact take over Palmer tech full time.

So good
SG7pcUX.gif

720p Webum w/audio
http://s1.webmshare.com/OMqya.webm

And the suit shits on Oliver's from a great height!

Damn, Ray, ouch.
I liked Ray going at it with the sweet trash talk in order to spare Heat Wave, that was gutsy during the torture.
Ray and Snart lines always funny lol.

As said by everyone already, damn that ending was hype.

"This isn't my first Prison Break."

Wentworth is the best.

So good.gif :D

Skux

Am I missing something? Didn't they have a clear chance to kill Savage during the confrontation? Where is the knife that they tried to use earlier?

Am I missing something? Didn't they have a clear chance to kill Savage during the confrontation? Where is the knife that they tried to use earlier?

Savage has it, I think.

So, next week we have:

Flash: King Shark and the Diggles
Arrow: Vixen
Legends: Conner Hawk,
Deathstroke and Old Man Ollie

Potentially the best non-crossover week for the Arrowverse?

They really need to stop nuking things, how did the Soviets respond to a nuke going off in one of their prisons?!?

Also lol @ Prison Break people escaping a prison

Mariolee

This show man. Its so corny, sometimes overly so, but they know how to suck me back in. And these episodes are always entertaining.

Look... Stephanie Corneliussen needs to have somehow survived that fucking nuclear explosion. She is the exact right blend of insane, sexy, and scary that the CW-Verse needs. I want her to come back, unaged, unhinged, on The Flash and start fucking shit up.

Man she was nuts.

Oh, and Garber was fantastic this episode. He really carried it. I feel like every episode should also end with the team somehow "killing" or grievously wounding Savage and then walking away for no reason without actually finishing him.

It doesn't get any swaggier than this

T7ThHSS.gif

Pure. Unadulterated. Swagger.

ZeroX03

Banned
You guys really think Casper Crump was a good choice for Savage? I'm not really feeling it.

He's got the psychopathic knife throwing torturer thing going on, but I don't really buy him as a conqueror. Savage - as mentioned on this episode - has the gift of patience and manipulation, but right now he really just seems to be a lovelorn sadist. Needs more strength and regality(?). I only buy him as a threat on a personal level to Rip and Hawkgirl, not as someone capable of manipulating the course of history entirely in his favor.

Of course he was basically just a drug dealer in a run of The Flash so it's not like the character hasn't been done worse in the past.

Skux

He's got the psychopathic knife throwing torturer thing going on, but I don't really buy him as a conqueror. Savage - as mentioned on this episode - has the gift of patience and manipulation, but right now he really just seems to be a lovelorn sadist. Needs more strength and regality(?). I only buy him as a threat on a personal level to Rip and Hawkgirl, not as someone capable of manipulating the course of history entirely in his favor.

Of course he was basically just a drug dealer in a run of The Flash so it's not like the character hasn't been done worse in the past.

Yeah, he needs to be shown as a commander or general. It'd be nice if he had a featured second-in-command, but that wouldn't work unless they were also immortal. And he can't send his cronies to chase the heroes down. It's always going to be the good guys finding him at some particular place and time, which kills the idea of him pulling a prep time and outsmarting our heroes.

Klyka

Banned
Yeah, he needs to be shown as a commander or general. It'd be nice if he had a featured second-in-command, but that wouldn't work unless they were also immortal. And he can't send his cronies to chase the heroes down. It's always going to be the good guys finding him at some particular place and time, which kills the idea of him pulling a prep time and outsmarting our heroes.

They did actually already show that he has people whose lives he extends and who serve him for like 200 years.

Joni

That looks like Ray is restoring himself. He did great, even if his beginning was idiotic.
The fight in the sauna was great. Sara did awesome while Snart ignoring Rip fighting is perfect.
Soviet Firestorm looks hot. She looks better like that.
And damn that ending.

Unchanged? A nuke just went off in Russia. In a massive prison, how does that not effect anything? Butterfly effect is asleep at the wheel.
It doesn't effect anything if it always happened.

It doesn't effect anything if it always happened.

The timeline is either a lax type 2 or lax type 3 as classified here. Causal loops may be thrown in by the writers but it doesn't make coherent sense for them to do that. Thus far they have been altering things that are "not important to the timeline", i.e. the bounty hunter says he has to check whether the two people he kills in the pilot are critical to the timeline. This doesn't make meaningful sense as an idea because any change to the timeline is important over a long enough time scale, but it's a CW show with garbage chronophysics so what do you expect. In any case though, they are not merely creating the past as it already existed, their changes can and do have impacts. We see them getting real time forecasts as the timeline is changing via metatime (lol).

All we can assume so far is that all changes made are "unimportant" unless otherwise stated. Like all the goons they kill, windows they smash and things they steal / lives they have a minor impact on by their very presence. They've paid lip-service to A Sound of Thunder but the idea of long term consequences by even the most trivial disruption is not taken seriously by the scripts.

strafer

Yeah, I saw that Crisco betrayalaton a mile away.

:p

also, the outfits in the prison were exactly those in Prison Break.

all dem referenences.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Watched "White Knight" and "Fail-Safe" back to back. Victor Garber is such a great actor, he can even sell this stuff. And I have to say, they're really selling the team dynamic for me. I'm glad that the pilot wasn't the end of them having to figure out how to gel together. The different pairings get us some good character moments.

At the very least they could have immobilized him and taken him back to the ship, then found the knife at their leisure and ended it all. With no Vandal Savage it would be easy enough to acquire. Or bury him in the antarctic or something, would give them a few thousand years breathing room to get their shit together.

ZeroX03

Banned
I haven't participated in one of the character ranking things yet, but here's some rough thoughts...

Snart, Sara, Mick & Stein were all nailing it. No complaints there.

Ray is really pathetic, and Brandon is play it perfectly. I'm going to say I'm very happy with him assuming it's leading where I think it is. More than any of the others he really wants to be a hero - he even says "Rip Hunter took me to be a Legend, remember?" - so he's got to go through the biggest crucible. I mean he only spent five months in hell, that's kind of nothing compared to the rest.

I want to like Jax. It's not that he's a bad actor, but he's got a very tough job with one of the weaker, less defined characters going up against Victor Garber and the other vets. It's tough ask for the character and the actor.

Rip Hunter needs to be more pragmatic and ruthless. I dig that. Rip shouldn't be likable. He should be making the hard choices. I prefer backup plans to having no plans at all.

Hawkgirl I just don't care either way.

I still can't get over the fucking ending. Next week has the potential to have 2(?) great Arrow episodes.

I'm so hyped for Connor Hawke

Badass.

Joni

The timeline is either a lax type 2 or lax type 3 as classified here. Causal loops may be thrown in by the writers but it doesn't make coherent sense for them to do that. Thus far they have been altering things that are "not important to the timeline", i.e. the bounty hunter says he has to check whether the two people he kills in the pilot are critical to the timeline. This doesn't make meaningful sense as an idea because any change to the timeline is important over a long enough time scale, but it's a CW show with garbage chronophysics so what do you expect. In any case though, they are not merely creating the past as it already existed, their changes can and do have impacts. We see them getting real time forecasts as the timeline is changing via metatime (lol).
It makes sense that killing the two teens doesn't have an effect if they are destined to die somewhere around that time, like how Professor Boardman was destined to die less than 24 hours after that anyway. Maybe without them, the professor just blows herself up with her experiments. At the same time, they are staying close to an important timeperiod. On the limited timescale, changes like blowing up the prison can't really have an effect.

All we can assume so far is that all changes made are "unimportant" unless otherwise stated. Like all the goons they kill, windows they smash and things they steal / lives they have a minor impact on by their very presence. They've paid lip-service to A Sound of Thunder but the idea of long term consequences by even the most trivial disruption is not taken seriously by the scripts.
At the same time, for A Sound of Thunder the time travel was in the millions of years. It was also a really bad movie.

ZeroX03

Banned
Also this is new!

#1.08 "Night of the Hawk" Synopsis
The team tracks Savage (guest star Casper Crump) to a small town in Oregon during the 1950s. Upon arrival, they discover there have been a recent string of murders and they suspect Savage is involved. Professor Stein (Victor Garber) and Sara (Caity Lotz) go undercover at a psychiatric hospital, where Savage is working as a doctor, to find out his plan. While there, Sara meets a nurse named Lindsay (guest star Ali Liebert) and sparks fly. Meanwhile, Ray (Brandon Routh) and Kendra (Ciara Renée) pretend to be a married couple to gain the neighborhood’s trust, but an interracial couple in the ‘50s isn’t something that goes unnoticed. Soon, Savage is at their door.

Chariot

That must have weirded him out when he saw her again on the boat.
All these american women look the same!

Nah, I don't think he noticed. Huge time gap and he was a child at the time, the two Saras behaved entirely different. He might just thought that they looked similiar at best.

It makes sense that killing the two teens doesn't have an effect if they are destined to die somewhere around that time, like how Professor Boardman was destined to die less than 24 hours after that anyway. Maybe without them, the professor just blows herself up with her experiments. At the same time, they are staying close to an important timeperiod. On the limited timescale, changes like blowing up the prison can't really have an effect.

At the same time, for A Sound of Thunder the time travel was in the millions of years. It was also a really bad movie.

It would be quite a coincidence if it keeps happening - it is not just two people the bounty hunter killed, there are numerous faceless goons they've been blasting with energy weapons and kung fuing without stopping to check the effects. Even if we assume that the absolute cold gun was set to stun and all of the goons are just sleeping, the huge number of changes being made to these people's lives that would not ever have happened if not for the time interlopers will build up over time. Increased health insurgence premiums on Vandal's rent a cops. A goon sent into a coma that fundamentally changes the lives of his children and the path they take. They simply don't care about these time disruptions because the plot says so, not because there is a mechanism of chronology protection that is logical.

On the other hand, if there is a chronology protection mechanism in force which made sure that 'roughly the same thing happened' with respect to things that humans arbitrarily deem 'important', why is it applied inconsistently? For example, why can Savage reverse engineer future tech to completely alter the timeline and take over the world hundreds of years sooner, why doesn't a meteor just coincidentally just fall from the sky and destroy the future tech to prevent the disruption? It is inconsistent - sometimes you can change the timeline radically and sometimes the timeline bends back into shape with minor alterations. Since metatime was solidifying with these new radically altered futures, we know it is conceptually possible for it to happen.

The whole mission is based on the idea that you can kill Vandal Savage in the past, which will cause a major alteration to the future timeline, very likely to the point of preventing Rip Hunter's birth. Had he succeeded in killing him in Ancient Egypt, the disruption would be even more vast, given that he was an adviser to so many influential figures across history and his impact is undoubtedly far reaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom