• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

TP

Tendo said:
what is the difference between hard and normal? I'm on hard chapter 2 and thinking of restarting on normal just to complete it. Game is kicking my ass :(

Did you equip one of the DLC suits?
The game gets harder so you'll need it

Tendo

Jeo said:
Did you equip one of the DLC suits?
The game gets harder so you'll need it

I didn't want to cheap out so no, not yet. Next shop I get to I will then. Shame I wasted money on a lvl 2 suit then :( lol

Liberty4all

Banned
I wonder which version sounds better audio wise. I've noticed that my PS3 titles seem to output better sound than their 360 counterparts ... in survival horror type games this can be very important.

Bamelin said:
I wonder which version sounds better audio wise. I've noticed that my PS3 titles seem to output better sound than their 360 counterparts ... in survival horror type games this can be very important.

Did anyone confirm if this had DTS or not? ...If not, I'll let ya know in a couple of hours when I get home from work

THIS GAME IS SO FUCKING INCREDIBLE!

OMG!

Just got to the 4th mission, and I'm in awe. It's not that hard but it's fucking scary as shit and plays really well.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
permutated said:
THIS GAME IS SO FUCKING INCREDIBLE!

OMG!

Just got to the 4th mission, and I'm in awe. It's not that hard but it's fucking scary as shit and plays really well.
Still 7 days until release here, gah.

Liberty4all

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
Did anyone confirm if this had DTS or not? ...If not, I'll let ya know in a couple of hours when I get home from work

Thanks!

I'm just curious I actually already have a 360 copy. It's a review copy so no biggie but if I was looking at putting money down I would definately want to know which version has better sound.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
You know the game is a surprise hit when people are caving at this rate and nobody is saying anything other than holy fuck wow :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Y2Kev said:
You know the game is a surprise hit when people are caving at this rate and nobody is saying anything other than holy fuck wow :lol
You're not making the wait any easier!

darkvir

This game owes so much to RE4 it ain't even funny :D

I'm having fun with it so far, great lighting and environment texture work... although the humans faces look like ass.

So what limbs do you guys aim at? I saw in the videos prior to release that legs seemed to be a favorite, but I find myself always firing at the arms.

fistfulofmetal said:
Well taking out the legs knocks them down, making it easier to deliver the killshot
Right. Haven't had much of a problem hitting the arms, though. Guess all those hours of RE4 really come in handy w/ aim lol

t0va

Revolutionary said:
So what limbs do you guys aim at? I saw in the videos prior to release that legs seemed to be a favorite, but I find myself always firing at the arms.

i aim for the arms too. they can't attack you if they don't have arms :>

Seriously 15 min into the game and all I can say is holyfuck, ive never been scared from a videogame in my life, I have my headphones on fullblast and im sitting in the dark, incredible I seriously paused the game to post this im that impressed. Play this game with the volume cranked

TP

Revolutionary said:

I aim for legs then stomp the head to conserve ammo

MiniDitka

Revolutionary said:

I fire at whatever I can hit :lol

Endless

PC Requirements (in German)

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/aid,6...ssetzungen_plus_Grafikqualitaet_im_Vergleich/

- Windows XP (SP2) oder Vista
- Prozessor: CPU mit 2,8 Gigahertz
- RAM: 1 GiByte für XP und 2 GiByte für Vista
- Grafikkarte: Geforce 6800 oder besser (7300, 7600 GS und 8500 erfüllen die minimalen Voraussetzungen nicht) oder Ati X1600 oder besser (X1300, X1300 Pro und HD2400 erfüllen die minimalen Voraussetzungen nicht). Die Grafikkarte muss Shader Model 3.0 unterstützen und mindestens 256 MiByte Videospeicher besitzen
- Festplatte: Mindestens 7,5 GByte freier Speicherplatz für die Installation plus zusätzlicher Speicherplatz für Spielstände
- Für die Aktivierung ist eine Internetverbindung erforderlich

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I havent played this game yet, but from the media Ive seen it seems like the atmosphere and story are very similar to the movie Event Horizon. For those of you who have seen the movie and played Dead Space would you agree? Im on the fence about this game and I loved Event Horizon.

Kind of a random question but... your character's weird suit, and all those strange mechanical extensions and ridges and attachments... is that a big part of the story beyond just being a basic power suit? He looks cybernetic, with that thing on the spine.

imperium

I haven't seen Event Horizon in a while but that's the immediate vibe I got from Dead Space, with perhaps a dash of Hellraiser thrown in for good measure. Reasonably scary so far but the atmosphere is just fantastic. It's claustrophobic and it kept me tense the entire 1.5 hours or so I played it. And of course I have to mention the ambient sound effects which do a great job of heightening the tension. Sleeper of the year so far.

aeolist

Banned
Wikipedia says the 20th for PC in NA, and if it were going to be on Steam we would have heard by now.

I think the best we can hope for is no SecuROM but that's kind of a long shot.

Just finished chapter 1, ill be honest I had no interest in this game when I read about it, but after reading all your impressions I decided to pick it up, so so glad I did, I even had my brother who doesnt really play games anymore sit down and play the first halfhour, he fuckin loved it. Funny how EA changed in one year, a lot of quality out of them this year, and mirrors edge next month.

Zzoram

aeolist said:
Wikipedia says the 20th for PC in NA, and if it were going to be on Steam we would have heard by now.

I think the best we can hope for is no SecuROM but that's kind of a long shot.

360 it is I guess.

bigswords

revolverjgw said:
Kind of a random question but... your character's weird suit, and all those strange mechanical extensions and ridges and attachments... is that a big part of the story beyond just being a basic power suit? He looks cybernetic, with that thing on the spine.

The suit is a typical engineering class suit to withstand most hazards and can last in vacuum for a short time. In the game you can "upgrade" the suit to give you more inventory slots and higher amour rating.

It's just a power suit if you want to call it, the back bit is called a rig, which monitors your health and etc. In the game lore, miners (even some scientists wear them) who wear the rig, do checks on each other to see whether they are healthy or have suffered any trauma.

your_fat_uncle

Neo Member
damn I hate when games do this. I'm in the middle of the second level and I just now realized you could break the black and green crates you see lying everywhere. I tried messing with them before I could attack or anything, but nothing happened so I just figured they were useless. Man, ammo was in short supply that first level. I thought that was by design but aparently not.

your_fat_uncle

Neo Member
Outtrigger888 said:
Just finished chapter 1, ill be honest I had no interest in this game when I read about it, but after reading all your impressions I decided to pick it up, so so glad I did, I even had my brother who doesnt really play games anymore sit down and play the first halfhour, he fuckin loved it. Funny how EA changed in one year, a lot of quality out of them this year, and mirrors edge next month.

it's the curse of being the biggest game company. Earlier, the scurge of the gaming industry was EA. Now a bigger one has merged together from lesser parts and become the new epitome of crappiness in the industry.

Just started chapter four last night, and I am really enjoying it so far. At first I had a bit of a problem going back to the old RE4 style camera, and I got a bit disoriented. But after playing for awhile, I got familiar with the controls, and I have reached the point where they are almost transparent to me, I don't have to think about them at all.

So far, the pacing has been really great, following a consistent formula of scare, battle, puzzle, which may seem predictable, but it gives the pacing it's necessary high and low moments.

The combat feels great, I just wish there was a bit more ammo lying around. I understand ammo is scarce to maintain the atmosphere, but I hate losing a fight because I ran out of ammo. Maybe I need to manage my ammo more efficiently.

Story-wise, I am definitely intrigued at this moment. I am still at the part of every horror story at which you have no idea what is going on, but every bit of story morsel I have been getting has been unraveling quite nicely. I am very interested to see where this is going.

Finally, I just want to tell you guys a funny encounter I had when playing. Early on in the game when you get your first weapon, the game makes it a point to tell you repeatedly to NOT shoot the monsters in the head, instead shoot them in the limbs.

So after a couple encounters with some baddies, I was aiming for the arm of one monster and hit him in the head, causing him to go down instantly. I was thinking to myself,"Well, that was weird.", but I began to continue on down the corridor. Just as I was about to pass the limp body of the monster I shot in the head, it sprung right back up and starting gnawing on my neck. I don't think it was a scripted event, and if it wasn't I think that is a very awesome way to teach the player how to properly play the game.

Bamelin said:
Thanks!

I'm just curious I actually already have a 360 copy. It's a review copy so no biggie but if I was looking at putting money down I would definately want to know which version has better sound.

Heads up

no DTS support, but game sounds amazing none the less!

SaitoH

tapedeck said:
I havent played this game yet, but from the media Ive seen it seems like the atmosphere and story are very similar to the movie Event Horizon. For those of you who have seen the movie and played Dead Space would you agree? Im on the fence about this game and I loved Event Horizon.

It's the Event Horizon and The Thing with the gameplay of RE4 and System Shock 2.

So many of my favourite things combined into one!

It's so hard to conserve ammo when those things are rushing at you. Great game so far, REALLY impressed with the "menu" layout. The hologram/scanner thing is such a great GUI.

So, I picked this up yesterday afternoon and dumped just over 5 hours in. I'm about half-way through chapter 4 and the only real complaint I can muster, which is really a personal preference deal, is that it is too dark in alot of areas. I cranked the brightness all the way up at the end of chapter 2, but I still have trouble discerning what I'm looking from time-to-time. This is a shame concidering the incredible engine they've built. Everything else has been stellar though. The combat is very visceral and the enemy designs are very creepy. The environments remind me of Doom 3 alot, which is a good thing.

So far, I is impressed.

Fady K

Finishing up Silent Hill Homecoming and then jumping right into this. I dont remember the last time I was finishing up an *excellent* horror game before jumping into another *excellent* one from the look of things.

Facism

Fady K said:
Finishing up Silent Hill Homecoming and then jumping right into this. I dont remember the last time I was finishing up an *excellent* horror game before jumping into another *excellent* one from the look of things.

Tis good times, these times.

darkvir said:
This game owes so much to RE4 it ain't even funny :D

I'm having fun with it so far, great lighting and environment texture work... although the humans faces look like ass.

I know. Within 5 minutes of playing I'm shooting them in the leg then stomping on them to finish them off and save ammo.

This game is amazing. :D

Revolutionary said:

This actually brings up my biggest gripe of the game. It seams that on Normal you can blast off any 2 limbs and the baddies go down. It doesn't matter what else you do - just take off 2.
This seems to be the case for ALL enemies thus far (I'm on the 3rd chapter)...

Top Bottom