• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| PUT A Z-PAK ON THE THREAD, PAL. YOU'RE WORKING TONIGHT

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

Heel

Numbers peaked at the start of the show, when they recapped last week's episode featuring Daniel Bryan as special guest GM.

Viewers dropped when they realized Daniel Bryan was not back to resume his role but most held out hope that he might show up and face off against the Anonymous Raw GM in the second hour.

The ratings tanked in the third hour when the last possible time a Daniel Bryan appearance would've made sense, accompanying his wife Brie who was accompanying her sister Nikki, bore no Goatface.

It all makes sense now. Thank you for your insight.

Alucard

Banned
Colt's potential gross (estimated) for a million downloads on the Punk ep (and he easily has more) with his ad structure through his ad firm:

$2,925,000 - $5,925,000 / YEAR

No way. Not if his revenue is largely ad clicks based and not podcast download based. Are you sure he makes money per download?

Colt's potential gross (estimated) for a million downloads on the Punk ep (and he easily has more) with his ad structure through his ad firm:

Even cutting that in half after uncle sam takes his cut and then factoring in bandwidth plus other costs he is doing ok.

Must be a nice fucking studio apartment in Chicago that he is living in.

Going to be a damn good evening tonight. Lucha Underground followed by a possibly interesting Punk Q&A. Awesome.

He makes twice that wrestling in Japan though.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Furthermore, the youtube upload of his show is at over 900k views, which he can also parlay into his rates and get nearly double.

New Sting Shirt

W08576.jpg

jmdajr

I thought there would be more Punk chants on Monday.

Maybe the authority knew about the podcast in advance and that's why they are off TV.

But...how could they know????????

jmdajr

But you got to factor in how many would actually listen to a podcast more than once in a single week. Unless you were a really hardcore nerd, I would say not many.
And how many go on there multiple times to bash him on comments. But hey that's still business! !!!

So this Lucha underground thing. Is it good? Just started the first episode on demand and the camera work has me thinking that this is one those things that made me roll my eyes like that wreslting show on MTV all those years back.

Mhm. It's odd, saying shit such as 'Queering doesn't make the world go round' when you dress up like someone who accidentally absorbed an entire gay pride parade into their costume.

Didn't Stone Cold come out completely in favour of gay marriage, though?

Yes he did on his podcast.

Wrestling has never made me think gay thoughts or associate with gay culture. I mean what do gay people think of it?

Every US company is shit, New Japan rules, yet I can't entirely stay away from any of it for some dumb reason, probably the exact reasons Perspicacity said

RBH

News and notes from Meltzer:

We were told most, but certainly not all, of the WWE talent loved some of what he said what he said. Many were not happy about him complaining about his booking when he was booked better than all but a few guys over the past three years. The feeling of guys that while he complained about putting over Rock, Undertaker and Brock Lesnar in 2013, that most of them would have loved to have been in the position to work twice with Rock, and then do Mania against Undertaker and SummerSlam with Lesnar regardless of the outcome. One major name, while seeing Punk’s side on the medical issue and some other issues , felt most of the interview was “sour grapes.”

Many felt he came off badly about complaining that he was booked against HHH at WrestleMania, noting he’d be in one of the top matches and would get ample time to promote it. McMahon in the Austin podcast said that WrestleMania wasn’t about one main event these days, although Punk’s argument to that is that the guys in the one real main event get paid far better than just about anyone else on the show. Several felt he made himself look bad in complaining about having to put over Rock, Undertaker and Lesnar. The “two sides of every story” saying was said by others, but there was also a consensus that what he said about his experience in WWE was the same as many would say, with the difference that he made more money than all but a few, and they admired his balls to say it publicly.

Another person who knows several major WWE talents said, discounting the few that will parrot whatever Punk said, his experience is that there was a feeling that Punk’s comments on Ryback were unprofessional and cheap, and that nobody bought Ryback kicked Punk as hard as he could or intentionally broke his ribs. However, there was the feeling Punk is a genius, particularly for how he handled the situation. There was a lot of hate for Colt Cabana (I really don’t see why) according to one person. Some said they felt Punk was bitter. Almost nobody had any sympathy for his injury situation, noting that every top guy on the roster that works a full schedule has a litany of injuries.

For the first time, historically, there is proof that streaming is affecting the volume of television viewing. For years people have talked about it, but the average time spent in front of traditional television had stayed steady or even grown. However, television viewing time, on average, over the past year has dropped four percent. The average American watches four hours and 32 minutes of television daily. Last year that average was four hours and 43 minutes. Even factoring in the rise of Netflix, Hulu and other streaming services, the average American watches 20 minutes of streaming content per day, up from 13 minutes one year ago at this time. So it’s still very one-sided. The gap is closing and will close more news year. I’ve read people predicting that this will be the end of traditional television, and who knows what the future will bring. Another point to note is that there has been a small number of people, the cord cutters, not as big as people make it out to be (the funny thing is it’s amazing how many people I know that fit into this category), and while this study didn’t factor them in, I’m guessing given the about a three percent drop in people who have eliminated cable, that if they take those people out of the mix, that may take into account the entire drop in at least the viewing of television. In the sense, the person who has cable is probably watching almost exactly the same amount of television, but the overall number is down from people who have dropped cable and satellite. And those same people may figure in at least some of the rise is streaming (although streaming viewership is going to be rising noticeably for the next several years, cord cutting or not, just as people get more used to it). But the movement in this direction, particularly among kids, who are the future, is a very significant business story. The key aspect of it and how it relates to wrestling and MMA is that its niche audience will become more important because it’ll be tougher to get new fans. The key to television in the past has been its ability to make new fans of people switching the dial and seeing something and getting into it. With specialized services, you are relying not on people finding it themselves, but word of mouth buzz among friends. But if cable constricts, ratings will decline and there won’t be people switching channels and finding what’s good on and watching, but the audience will be those who always watch as a pattern. In other words, the regular fan base will become more important and marketing to the casual audience will become more difficult than ever. And introducing a new product for mass consumption won’t have the barrier of needing to get on television, but it will be umpteen times harder to get anything but a cult audience.

Eric Bischoff and Bruce Prichard are going to have a debate of sorts of WCW vs. WWF Monday Night Wars on 1/25 in Philadelphia, on the afternoon of the Royal Rumble.

Randy Buchanan, who wrestled in 1987 and 1988, first as Incubus in Florida, as part of Kevin Sullivan’s heel group, and later doing a hillbilly in overalls gimmick as The Mighty Wilbur for Jim Crockett Promotions on national television, passed away on 11/26 at the age of 57.

The Hell in a Cell PPV, headlined by Cena vs. Orton and Ambrose vs. Rollins, did 21,000 domestic buys and 56,000 international buys. The international buys were up due to the U.K., but the previous domestic low was 31,000, and it’s not like network numbers were any higher. Survivor Series is the one where it’ll be interesting if anyone bought the thing when it was offered free.

The WWE, when they came through Memphis the last time, interviewed Lance Russell, Jerry Jarrett and Bill Dundee for a 2015 Jerry Lawler DVD. Also this past week, WMC-TV, which aired wrestling from the mid-70s until the close of the territory, and then through several revivals, did a four-part series of Russell and Dave Brown together looking at old tapes. It was awesome, particularly the end of segment four, because you could really see the friendship between the two (who have been very good friends for about 50 years) and there was a moment of realization that this could be the last time they would work together in public.

I thought there would be more Punk chants on Monday.

Maybe the authority knew about the podcast in advance and that's why they are off TV.

I thought the Authority are off TV because Ziggler beat them almost single handedly?
Didn't Ziggler come on Raw and talk about his amazing victory over the awful Authority?

tm24

So this Lucha underground thing. Is it good? Just started the first episode on demand and the camera work has me thinking that this is one those things that made me roll my eyes like that wreslting show on MTV all those years back.

Watch episode 2. That main event

Woo, Dragon/Cuerno round 2. I really hope Hijo del Fantasma brings Cuerno back to Mexico. He's so much better as Cuerno

Watch episode 2. That main event

Woo, Dragon/Cuerno round 2. I really hope Hijo del Fantasma brings Cuerno back to Mexico. He's so much better as Cuerno
Alright. I'll keep on watching Chavo and blue demon jr was the first match. Nothing special but they had a video for sexy star and needless to say I am a fan of sexy star. So let's see how this goes.

News and notes from Meltzer:

There was a lot of hate for Colt Cabana (I really don’t see why) according to one person.

Because he has a cruisy life unlike the shackled WWE existence I expect. Cabana seems pretty happy running the indy stuff and his podcast seems to bring in more than enough revenue to make it worth doing.
Getting his mate Punk to dump his guts with him is a huge money maker into the future too. Maybe more of them should take up podcasting like Jericho has.

Top Bottom